New Forum Layout Suprise!

Scott said:
Rhansen said:
I was just admiring the new forum :cool2: and noticed that the old (signs forum) links to threads now redirect to the index page. Is this on the to do list or do they need to be looked up again?

No, there won't be any "auto-linking" to specific threads. You'll see why soon! ;D

I think that the problem is a bit different. When there is a link to another old signs forum post within an older post here on the forum, it takes you to the index. Yesterday, I was going to quote an older post that had a link to another old forum post, and the link took me to the index instead of the other old post which I wanted. Not knowing the title of it - only the link was there - I couldn't find it. This needs to be fixed somehow.

Laura said:
I think that the problem is a bit different. When there is a link to another old signs forum post within an older post here on the forum, it takes you to the index. Yesterday, I was going to quote an older post that had a link to another old forum post, and the link took me to the index instead of the other old post which I wanted. Not knowing the title of it - only the link was there - I couldn't find it. This needs to be fixed somehow.

i don't know how you guys did the switch from punBB (or was it phpBB?) to Simple Machines, but if you were able to link the SQL databases from the old forum into the new one, some (but it seems not all) of the posts carry the same ID as on the old forum.

for example, a post Henry made a while ago titled "Double Humanity and the Extraterrestrial Intrusion" had this url:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=8546

if you take the ID (8546) and use it with the URL format of the new Cassiopaea Forum, the result is:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=8546

which links to the correct post. however, after some checking this doesn't seem to work with all posts.

hopefully though, this technique can help in finding some older posts if you only have the URL and no keywords to search for. :)

edit: this works in the case of URLs from the old SOTT forum that carry a four digit ID, such as 8546. however, it doesn't work in the case of URLs that carry a five digit PID (i.e. http://www.sott.net/signs/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=25084)

PepperFritz said:
Question: Where might one find the "Forum Rules" now?

I couldn't find it anywhere.

Another question/comment - Can you change it so that once you post a message on the forum it takes you to the thread you posted on, instead of the sub-topic or board name index (like here)? It's one less step to re-reading the post to check for errors/inaccuracies. Also, when you click Mark All Messages As Read, it automatically takes you to the top of the forum. Not sure how others feel but it can be a pain to scroll all the way back to the bottom. Thanks :cool:

Beau said:
I couldn't find it anywhere.

Another question/comment - Can you change it so that once you post a message on the forum it takes you to the thread you posted on, instead of the sub-topic or board name index (like here)? It's one less step to re-reading the post to check for errors/inaccuracies. Also, when you click Mark All Messages As Read, it automatically takes you to the top of the forum. Not sure how others feel but it can be a pain to scroll all the way back to the bottom. Thanks :cool:

Hi Beau, you can change that in your preferences - click the box that says 'take me back to my post after posting' or something along those lines. Not sure about the forum rules - Scottie might have an answer for that one.

anart said:
Hi Beau, you can change that in your preferences - click the box that says 'take me back to my post after posting' or something along those lines.

Thanks, got it :)

PepperFritz said:
Question: Where might one find the "Forum Rules" now?

It's a little bit complicated, you have to log out again and then push the registry button.

Please don't think I'm whining...

...but I preferred the other layout for replies, where I could scroll up to recheck the post I was replying to, usually spelling for names and such.

This can't be done in the new layout, so I am replying 'blind', as it were. Unless there's a button I haven't pressed, which keeps the posts on the same page as the reply box?

In any event, pressing the Post button took me out of the thread altogether, so thanks for the tip about Preferences, Anart. I'll try that.

Oh, my God!

I'm so DUMB!

You scroll down to see the posts!

I don't know where to put my face.

OK, you can all stop laughing now.

:lol:
Learning is FUN

bedower said:
Oh, my God!

I'm so DUMB!

You scroll down to see the posts!

I don't know where to put my face.

OK, you can all stop laughing now.

Scott said:
Rhansen said:
I was just admiring the new forum :cool2: and noticed that the old (signs forum) links to threads now redirect to the index page. Is this on the to do list or do they need to be looked up again?

No, there won't be any "auto-linking" to specific threads. You'll see why soon! ;D

Nice new forum, and I'm curious as to what is meant by this, it used to be my way of checking all the new threads that are created, looks like I need to figure out a new way to navigate the forum :D
Also, I like that the quotes now link you to the original post that is being quoted so you do not have to scroll around to find it. Very cool.

Laura said:
I think that the problem is a bit different. When there is a link to another old signs forum post within an older post here on the forum, it takes you to the index.
Yes, that is what I was referring to.

Rhansen said:
Laura said:
I think that the problem is a bit different. When there is a link to another old signs forum post within an older post here on the forum, it takes you to the index.
Yes, that is what I was referring to.

Ooooh, I see. Well, that's pretty bothersome. I guess we'll have to write our own "link repair" script to go through the messages and repair the links to old forum posts.
:shock:

Back
Top Bottom