Meaning of life?

Below citation is from the article from Arc's blog and article link: Why? The Purpose of the Universe
  • You can’t move in reasoning from facts that aren’t about value, to facts that are about value or what you ought to do. There is a gap between "is" and "ought".
  • Reason ought to be the slave of the passions. If you desire to pursue some goal, you ought to pursue it.
Do you see it? What Goff saw was that making the inference in point 2 violates the Is-Ought gap principle. Hume inferred that that job of reason is to help us best achieve the goals our feelings have set for us.
Do you see it? No - I do not.
Could You help me understand this?

In above example of contradiction in Hume's principle is-ought that one cannot bridge the gap between facts and moral values. How in above example Reason is bridging this gap? I do not get that.

Some other questions if I may get Your assistance:
Facts that are not about value? So for Hume all facts about external world were not about value?
For example Hume would not say bad or good about genocide in Gaza?
But he would say that for Palestinians their genocide is bad because they have feelings that are making them value this fact such a way?
If he had no feelings himself about this fact he would not assign any value for it?

You can’t move in reasoning from facts that aren’t about value, to facts that are about value?
You can't move? In reasoning? Move in reasoning? ... means what? what kind of reasoning would there be to illustrate/show example of it?
I cannot move from: it is now raining and I am getting wet TO I ought to open my umbrella to protect me from getting completely wet.
Or what?
Or maybe rain umbrella thing is OK because there is not yet value assigned?
Otherwise no "Oughts" would be possible?

Help :D

How Hume was thinking? And why Goff found this particular set contradictory?

Is this because: I desire this goal - is a statement IS. I ought to pursue this goal - is an OUGHT statement. What connects them is BECAUSE: because I desire, I ought to... They connect and therefore they contradict Hume's idea about unbridgeable gap?

I'm kinda lost...
all that selfish and egocentered enterprise of actions... i mean, i'm feeling this toward the whole life / society... even mine... but, how not be like that as other persons are like that? I mean, if you want to be altruist you end like a slave, because, there is no unity...
Judge and treated for details like appearence, life history, life story... but in the end... what does remain in the end...
what if i'd die today? that's crazy how we (I) let ourselves live like falling leaves (they are better than that).
I see nothing valuable in the sense of balancing that selfish enterprise of life... as they are only drones and bots everywhere... it's like trying to build a house with smoke...
I'm kinda lost...
And as we're all subjective subjects seeing only thinking thourough a filter... we all feel that we are the hero of the story... i wish that we were all seeing each others as the heros...
so you see, i'm egotic here too!
i'm kinda lost...

Last edited:
I feel kinda lost...
all that selfish and egocentered enterprise of actions... i mean, i'm feeling this toward the whole life / society... even mine... but, how not be like that as other persons are like that? I mean, if you want to be altruist you end like a slave, because, there is no unity...
Judge and treated for details like appearence, life history, life story... but in the end... what does remain in the end...
what is i'd die today? that's crazy how we (I) let ourselves live like falling leaves (they are better than that).
i'm kinda lost...
I (as do others here I'm sure) know what you are feeling. Exactly.

What has and does help me with this is focusing on what needs to be done every day. One day at a time.
Also researching / reading about topics that interest you. There is no shortage of recommended books on the forum.

Try to see that the weight of an entire society is not something that you should be attempting to carry on your shoulders. Is the world doimg great ? No. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Is it your problem ? Yes and no.

Also try to see how what others think about what you look like for example, is none of your business and also out of your control to a great extent.

I know that it's hard to find solace in this situation, but I hope that helps in some way.

I'm kinda lost...
what if i'd die today? that's crazy how we (I) let ourselves live like falling leaves (they are better than that).
I see nothing valuable in the sense of balancing that selfish enterprise of life... as they are only drones and bots everywhere... it's like trying to build a house with smoke...
I'm kinda lost...
And as we're all subjective subjects seeing only thinking thourough a filter... we all feel that we are the hero of the story... i wish that we were all seeing each others as the heros...
i'm kinda lost...
You are lost because you start with ‘Their’ selfishness and end with ‘Your’ selfishness. This is due to your distorted perception ("I wish ..all...). that is reflected in others, well, I'm not going to say that others don't have an excessive ego, only that, when you get hooked on others and see that you are ‘better’ than others is where you have lost. It is called egocentrism and I say to you: No one can live without ego, but it becomes a duty to mature it and integrate it so that it functions in a healthy and balanced way because otherwise it becomes insensitive and psychologically cramps you and puts you in the position you are in, in vulnerability.
The Cs say: Where you are is not important. Who you are is what counts.
I see that many people confuse service to others with servility, I don't know if this is your case, but I feel that you find it difficult to ‘give’, therefore you must begin to balance and give yourself with constancy and discipline to make your path of correction and then be able to expand to others. In order to do this, at work, you are required to dismantle the ego and the ignorance... Separate the wheat from the chaff, the real from your fiction ( how not to be so (?) so not to be). Strengthen and reinforce the best you have in you thinking that your ultimate intention is to reach out to others (SO) and let go of what is worthless (work on the appearance, my past, the falling leaves...) And well, needless to say EE with meditation to raise your frequency so you can deal with petty tyrants, there is a lot of literature on the forum that can help you.
Don't lose yourself in that character you are playing with it goes your identity. And you know what Caesar says: Be true to yourself.

I'm kinda lost...
I'm kinda lost...
i'm kinda lost...
How to differentiate a disguised, selfish and malicious order from a genuine request for help?

Very difficult.

You may not help anyone and you will have a high success rate in avoiding manipulation towards you.

Or you can help, because even if you know that much of what is asked will be malicious, your help will reach those who really need it.

Although over time obvious manipulation can be avoided, since you will see it clearly.

You choose.

That's my position, I hope it helps.

You are lost because you start with ‘Their’ selfishness and end with ‘Your’ selfishness. This is due to your distorted perception ("I wish ..all...). that is reflected in others, well, I'm not going to say that others don't have an excessive ego, only that, when you get hooked on others and see that you are ‘better’ than others is where you have lost. It is called egocentrism and I say to you: No one can live without ego, but it becomes a duty to mature it and integrate it so that it functions in a healthy and balanced way because otherwise it becomes insensitive and psychologically cramps you and puts you in the position you are in, in vulnerability.

I see that many people confuse service to others with servility, I don't know if this is your case, but I feel that you find it difficult to ‘give’, therefore you must begin to balance and give yourself with constancy and discipline to make your path of correction and then be able to expand to others. In order to do this, at work, you are required to dismantle the ego and the ignorance... Separate the wheat from the chaff, the real from your fiction ( how not to be so (?) so not to be). Strengthen and reinforce the best you have in you thinking that your ultimate intention is to reach out to others (SO) and let go of what is worthless (work on the appearance, my past, the falling leaves...) And well, needless to say EE with meditation to raise your frequency so you can deal with petty tyrants, there is a lot of literature on the forum that can help you.
Don't lose yourself in that character you are playing with it goes your identity. And you know what Caesar says: Be true to yourself.
I give. :) The thing is, I don't know the limit and the balance between ME and OTHERS. I'm not sure we're all on the same page about balancing ourselves and the WE. :)

That's why I feel kinda lost...

I do invest myself in MYSELF, I do invest myself in OURSELVES (in my family context, etc), but I don't know how much I should invest in others versus myself. :)

That's why i said that we can feel like slaves if it's not balanced. :)

Why i do maybe feel that?
Partly because I wasn't respected as a child. My parents imposed a lot, and now, as a grown-up living with my family (a blended one), I feel that I either do too much for the group or too much for myself...

I can quickly become like a satellite with the culpability of being. :)

Again, that's why I feel kinda lost...

I do have a Pure O that distorts my perception of reality (we all have distortions), but mine is highly excessive. :)

Maybe that's why I feel kinda lost...

And different ideas and feelings brought me to that expression. I was thinking about "what if I die today" because I thought I could have tetanus (and so, the I, SELF, part was becoming more futile ; doing for myself was going futile with the idea of the disappearance of the I).

I did not get the support I wanted for my worry, and it made the feeling grow. :) On top of that, I wasn't ready to explain how I really felt to the person concerned (because of fear not being understood). :)
This also made things more important. I was aware of these things but didn't feel confident about being true and clear. :)

Yeah, i try to balance my self and the meaning of everything. I'm in a deep phase. :) Hope it be bring the best rearrangement (depends on ME :)) :) Yeah, maybe i don't feel well in my context? I need to maybe change things for myself first and ask others how they do feel my position and investment in the group (IRL). :)

Thank U @all for your messages so far :)

Love that " The Cs say: Where you are is not important. Who you are is what counts. "
and that " Caesar says: Be true to yourself. "

I don't know the limit and the balance between ME and OTHERS.
Yes, that is clear, you have to know your limits, the ones you set for yourself and the ones you impose, so you will understand when you are abused and when you are not.
I'm not sure we're all on the same page about balancing ourselves and the WE. :)
Somehow it is true that we live in constant imbalance but this must always be an ‘imbalance-harmonic’ that you earn with Your effort and understand it with knowledge as part of the Work and it is welcome because it makes us ‘move forward, push the limit’. There are no tricks in that. There is no free lunch. What I don't understand is the plural, there is no room here for an WE (‘all’), you can't speak for others until you understand when you are in ‘balance’. That's why it's difficult to ‘give’.
I was thinking about "what if I die today" because I thought I could have tetanus (and so, the I, SELF, part was becoming more futile ; doing for myself was going futile with the idea of the disappearance of the I).
Surely some kind of psychological accompaniment would help you to find the harmony and integration that now dissatisfies you and prevents you from making better decisions. This is as you say a phase, perhaps of purification, of mental hygiene, a good professional help always comes in handy, as well as a help that you give yourself like praying daily, improving your diet and also if you wish you can see the thread; How to change your emotional state?.
I thank you for allowing me to express myself, strength and courage that we are in a moment to live in harmony and joy which is what I wish you from my heart.

What I don't understand is the plural, there is no room here for an WE (‘all’), you can't speak for others until you understand when you are in ‘balance’. That's why it's difficult to ‘give’.
I wanted to say, "The balance between Me and Others" so the "OURSELVES, US, WE, THE GROUP, THE FAMILY, THE INTEREST OF EACH AND ALL". I do agree with that, i do think that. But i do fear others. I have that social anxiety and that narcissist fear to express my needs and receive well the one of others. :-D Yup. It's a daily learning.

Back
Top Bottom