Caffeine allergy

Bluestar said:
Since my mid twenties I have not been able to have any form of caffeine. Caffeine has been the culprit of ovarian cysts that swell up with fluid and break during ovulation. Very painful. Did self testing for 3 months when I found out that this may be what was causing the cysts. Lo and behold it was.
Thanks so much for bringing this up. This confirms what I've been suspecting for the last few weeks now. I haven't had coffee for almost a year but I do occasionally have a piece of good chocolate or cocoa minus the sugar and sure enough, there's always that sensation in one of my ovaries and lower back. I was thinking that there was something in the chocolate itself but hadn't narrowed it down to caffeine. That's a shame because I'll have to find something else to replace the warm drink now but at the same time, I'm happy to know what the culprit is.

Bluestar said:
HifromGrace said:
I really think you’re on to something Bluestar – THANK YOU. How on earth did you ever make the connection anyway???

About a year after being diagnosed with ovarian cysts, I went to a holistic doctor and he explained how chocolate can cause this problem. So I experimented and it was the cause. Then as I got older it was basically caffeine in general. I was never a big coffee drinker or caffeine drink lover so it was basically chocolate and black teas. So I just stopped intake of these items.

The bloating I experienced has been hugely reduced with pro biotics. I take two kinds everyday. One for the intestines and one made especially for women. With the elimination diet I have learned what makes me feel ill and I avoid those things as best as possible. It is always a work in progress and may take many months before you see any changes.

(have to say though, drinking=bad, and meat=good!)

For me, red meat is very hard to digest and causes bloating. Even grain fed, free range meats. You may want to avoid it for a few weeks and see how you feel. Then eat some and notice if there are any changes.

Hope you start to feel better sooner rather then later.

Thanks for the input, advice and well wishes! Crazy that chocolate can be a cause – I was a junky! All forms of sugar actually back then.

This has just been a wake up call - I haven’t gotten to the point of being constantly, horrendously ill like before. Coffee enemas and fasting were a large component of what got me over the hump and stopped the environmental/chemical sensitivities (today I was just re-reading Gabriela Segura’s article about detox, and it was making me shutter, everyone does think you’re crazy!
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/215274-The-Day-the-Water-Died-Detoxing-after-the-Gulf-Oil-Spill).

I’m amazed at how I’ve taken my health for granted since. And even though I’m having to get back to the basics again, I really have had improvements (just not with the belly/ovaries thing). I’m very excited to get back to working on the Ultra Simple Diet – yeah, this stuff is exciting for me, where as exercise is not, unfortunately. I’m amazed at how much wheat affects me, I’ve never been a grain person anyway – I never took a close look at it before because I ignorantly thought that it only had to do with Celiac’s disease. And now that I’m eating meat, I feel that the diet will work really well this time – very simple, just gotta get in the rhythm of prep-work.

But anyway, the reason I was writing was to share an article about tannins – seems to be more the culprit, not the caffeine per se. But I’ve hit a stumbling block with following this thread of logic: with the overload of tannins leading to iron deficiency leading to (here’s the missing link) hormonal disruption (anemia leads to heavy or missed periods, neither of which I’ve had, although I was anemic as a teen, and oddly enough, stopped being one when I stopped eating meat). Perhaps there isn’t a connection, it’s a cool article anyway!

wwwdotveetea.com/site/articles/Tea-and-Iron

Tea and Iron

Monday, Oct 22, 2007

Lindsey "Vee" Goodwin of Vee Tea

This is an article I’ve been meaning to write for a long time. The effect of tea on iron absorption is something I get asked about a lot, and something that is surrounded by loads of misinformation. So, let’s start setting the record straight . . .

Let’s begin with tannins. Tannins are naturally occurring molecules in tea and (as you may have noticed) they have a bad reputation because of their association with tannic acid (which is used to tan hides to make leather). Though the tannins in tea are in the same class of chemicals as tannic acid, tea does NOT (contrary to popular belief) contain ANY tannic acid. The tannins tea DOES contain are catechins (like EGCG, which is reported to aid in weight loss) and other bioflavonoids (molecules that are noted for their antioxidant properties). Some of these tannins are responsible for the dark color and astringent taste in some teas, particularly black and Oolong teas. Many of them are found in other “healthy” foods, such as berries, pomegranates, and wine.

So tannins are good, right? Yes and maybe also no. It all comes down to iron. You see, dietary iron comes in two forms: heme and non-heme. Heme iron is from meat sources and non-heme iron is from plant sources, such as cereal grains, legumes, and leafy greens. Heme iron is generally unaffected by tannins and is typically absorbed at a rate of 10-30%, depending on the body’s level of need for it at the time. Non-heme iron, on the other hand, IS affected by the tannins in tea and is only absorbed at a rate of only 2-10%. So, if you eat meat and are not diagnosed as anemic, then you will have no problems drinking as much tea as you like before, after, and during meals. However, if you are vegetarian/vegan and/or are diagnosed anemic, then you may want to place some restrictions on your tea drinking. Here’s why:

Tannins chelate non-heme iron. This means that they form an insoluble bond with some of the iron molecules, making it undigestible. The degree of chelation is dose-dependant: the more tea you drink during a meal, the less iron is absorbed. (FYI, calcium also chelates iron, particularly when taken in a large dose as a supplement, and foods such as spinach and soy are thought to chelate iron at a similar rate to tea.) The typical decrease in iron absorption from a meal with a cup (as in measuring cup) of tea in clinical studies is approximately 30-60%. If you’re already low on iron it can make a big difference. This reduction in absorption can be minimized in several ways.*

The most commonly suggested means of managing non-heme iron and tea are to drink less tea and to not drink tea with meals. Three to four cups of tea a day is perfectly fine for a healthy vegetarian/vegan or for someone with mild anemia, provided you don’t drink it all during your one iron-rich meal of the day. Drinking tea no less than an hour before and after your meals greatly reduces the inhibition of iron absorption.

(I know what you’re thinking. “You want me to drink LESS tea and plan my meals around my tea-drinking! You must be crazy!” You didn’t think I’d go on all this time just to say that, though, did you? No, no, it gets better. Read on.)

Vitamin C and some other acids (such as lactic acid in milk and malic acid in pumpkins and plums) aid in non-heme iron absorption and can help to counteract the interference with absorption caused by tannins by adding an electron and changing it from its ferric form (which is harder to digest) to its ferrous form (which is easier to digest). Some studies have shown a threefold increase in non-heme iron absorption due to an increase in vitamin C intake during a meal. Simply put, a little lemon in your tea goes a long way.

Calcium can also act as a friend rather than a foe in iron absorption. By adding a splash of milk to your tea (typically a faux pas, but quite nice with some Assam and Ceylon teas), you can cause the tannins to bind with calcium BEFORE either one can bind with your iron. Clever . . .

Another solution is to switch to tisanes (“herbal teas”), which tend to be much lower in tannins and often taste good with a bit of lemon juice.

If you (like me) prefer “true teas” (white, yellow, green, oolong, black, and pu-erh, all from the Camellia Sinensis plant), then you may consider moving to the “lighter” teas on the spectrum (white, yellow, and green) to try to reduce the amount of tannins per cup. Separate studies have stated that green tea reduces iron uptake by about 30% and black tea reduces iron uptake by about 60%, though no major comparative studies in iron absorption have been performed to date.

A tasty solution is to avoid oversteeping your tea, as oversteeping releases excess tannin (hence the bitter taste of overbrewed tea).

The final way to increase non-heme iron absorption is very obvious, but often overlooked in this kind of conversation. EAT MORE IRON. Lots of foods are rich in non-heme iron. Cereals, dried beans, nuts, leafy greens, tofu, potatoes, raisins, broccoli and all kinds of other yummy foods are good sources of it. Just swap out the iceberg for Swiss chard and the sugar for blackstrap molasses and you’re on your way!

So, now you know how tannins and iron interact and how to reduce the impact tannins have on the absorption of non-heme iron. However, I feel it would be utterly wrong of me to finish this article without including one more little gem on tea and iron. One of tea’s BENEFITS may be its interference with iron absorption. Crazy talk? Maybe not.

When you have an infection, your immune system produces chemicals (like Lcn2) and cells (macrophages) that withhold iron from bacteria, making it impossible for them to reproduce. Thus, drinking more tea when you have an infection may help you to heal sooner. (However, this is not something that has been adequately tested/proven, so please don’t go around stating it as fact!)

Additionally, tea’s reduction of iron absorption may be of use to people with hemochromatosis, a disease that causes the body to stockpile iron and (in later stages) encourage cancerous growth (due to the overabundance of iron). Little is known about hemochromatosis at present (most doctors don’t even know how to properly diagnose it at this point), but this study shows promise in the use of high-tannin tea to reduce the storage of iron in the system (by about 30%) and, thus, reducing the necessity/frequency of drawing blood as a means of treatment. The way I figure, if advanced bloodletting is the main form of treatment for hemachromatosis, then drinking some extra tea really can’t hurt.

*Please note that I am NOT a medical doctor, I am just someone who knows a lot about tea. If you have an iron deficiency or excess, talk with your doctor or dietician about what is best for you.

Dang, I'm so glad I continue reading and learning. I love coffee, in fact I just finished a cup of it. I'm borderline sick to my stomach now having read this thread and realizing I could be potentially jacking up insulin levels and making my body insulin resistant. Not something I wish to be doing. Knowledge truly does protect. I suppose I must now stop drinking so much coffee as the health benefits speak for themselves. Thanks everyone!

Gonzo said:
Hi Thor,

Sorry of this is embarrassing but, since we're all grownups here...

You mentioned having been on morphine strength pain killers for several years. Were you experiencing constipation when you did the enema or were your bowels moving well?

The reason I ask is that I've been reluctant to try it until I can get my sluggish bowels moving better, as I am dealing with the constipating side effect of morphine derived pain killers (which I have been taking for several years).

Since I'm off wheat (and pretty much all other allergens and inflammatories) I no longer have the benefit of All-Bran (or as it was once referred to on Saturday Night Live many years ago, Colon Blow).

As my diet is now stabilizing, I find things moving a little better, but it only takes one bad day for me to have to increase my pain killers and bind me up all over again.

Thanks,
Gonzo

Gonzo, I am currently reading Pain Free in 6 Weeks by Sherry Rogers after having red Detoxify or Die. Reading it made me think of you as I recalled that you're suffering from chronic pain and thought that it might be of interest to you.

The book looks at different methods of treating chronic pain and the basic premise is that all chronic pain is due to things that get into your body that your body is not able to get rid of. This can go on for a while but sooner or later the symptoms start. What conventional medicine does is to dampen the symptom which will not remove the cause of the symptom and in many cases just worsen the underlying cause. She gives many suggestions as to isolate and treat the causes of chronic pain. If you haven't read it yet I highly recommend it.

So far I have started on some of her suggestions and while my back pain is still there, I have to say that it has definitely improved over the last two weeks. Now, this often happens to me. I try some new approach and there is an initial 2-4 week improvement period after which time, the pain returns to its normal level. The cool thing here, is that I now have an arsenal of things to try out sequentially and according to Sherry Rogers there is no such thing as chronic pain if you do your detective work correctly! Good luck :)

Thanks for the thread, I seemed to have developed an intolerance to caffeine over the last year or so. I used to work at a coffeeshop so you can imagine how much caffeine I had flowing through my blood for years.
Recently, I noticed I get tingly/jittery in my arms and legs, as well as a lightheadedness, after drinking coffee. I cut out coffee for awhile and started taking multivitamins and thiamine. That seemed to fix things gradually, and I eased my way back onto about 1 cup a day.

However, it came back a few weeks ago once I eased off the multivitamins to take a B complex with thiamine and the magnesium/manganese blend from objective nutrients for fear of taking too much manganese. At first, I could handle black tea, and when that became too much I switched to green tea. And now even a sip of green tea makes me feel the same tingle/brainfog.

I plan to cut out caffeine for good now; however, I just noticed that easing off the multivitamin might have had something to do with it but that's something I'll have to test later.

Decaffeinated coffee was just as evil for me as espresso. In fact, it was even worse. One thing that I've heard about caffeine is its effect triggering insulin which leads to insulin resistance which I think can jack up the blood sugar which is bad.

I love the stuff... no getting around it. It's the one thing that I have given up that I still miss. But I gave it up 7 years ago and have stayed firm in my resolve. Even a tiny bit triggers very unpleasant reactions.
Funny this thread recently popped up the day that I took a break from coffee then tried it again today (which I have done a few times) and had a reaction that has completely changed my view. I thought it was something I could have in moderation but I think, for now, I still stand strong in staying away.

It's encouraging to know Laura does too.

It caused me to go into a manic bpd episode even though I have been without symptoms for a while now and when I did have them they were quite minor compared to other seasons of my life.

Coffee today sent me into a mental spiral that had me completely hooked back into a very negative, depressing, nihilistic view on life.

I went for a walk in nature which turned into COMPLETELY around.

But it was more intense that I can describe.

Anyways, I hopped on to comment how synchronistic Intelligent Infinity is sometimes and is there to support when we need it most even if it's a thread on the computer or a butterfly flying with you as a person walks

Back
Top Bottom