Caffeine allergy

Thor said:
I recalled a reply by Psyche on coffee enemas and allergies and found the answer here:
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13241.msg135209#msg135209

Thank you for finding that Thor. I knew I had read some comprehensive posts on coffee enemas but couldn't remember where.

Thor said:
Actually, I will have my first ever (coffee) enema today and while I'm a bit nervous about it I hope it goes well. :/

Hopefully it will go well. As Psyche mentioned in the post you linked, you might need to do it a few times until you get it right.
I think it is time for me to give it a go as well :)

Thank you as well Thor. I am going to give it a go. I bought organic coffee beans and will grind them up and use a small dose of coffee. Won't know if the effects of the caffeine will be for at least one cycle. Usually happens during ovulation. Will do it one day and then wait a few days and do it again. Good cleasing to both you and Gertrudes.

Laura said:
I love the stuff... no getting around it. It's the one thing that I have given up that I still miss. But I gave it up 7 years ago and have stayed firm in my resolve. Even a tiny bit triggers very unpleasant reactions.

Humph. I had some today, first in a while, and my unpleasant reaction is that it's midnight an I'm still up! :scared: This from a person who's usually yawning and nodding off in the recliner at 8:30 PM now that it's getting dark earlier.

Oh well, the positive side to it is that I've spent the last couple hours catching up on the forum here!

Mrs. Peel said:
Laura said:
I love the stuff... no getting around it. It's the one thing that I have given up that I still miss. But I gave it up 7 years ago and have stayed firm in my resolve. Even a tiny bit triggers very unpleasant reactions.

Humph. I had some today, first in a while, and my unpleasant reaction is that it's midnight an I'm still up! :scared: This from a person who's usually yawning and nodding off in the recliner at 8:30 PM now that it's getting dark earlier.

Oh well, the positive side to it is that I've spent the last couple hours catching up on the forum here!

yeah, coffee for me was the hardest thing to give up, I love it too! But I've found that, now I've been off it for long enough, I have more regular energy levels anyway so am not so desperate for that early morning pick-me-up (unless I'm working till the small hours of the morning, which er.. has happened quite a bit lately and is very naughty!)

Bluestar said:
Thank you as well Thor. I am going to give it a go. I bought organic coffee beans and will grind them up and use a small dose of coffee. Won't know if the effects of the caffeine will be for at least one cycle. Usually happens during ovulation. Will do it one day and then wait a few days and do it again. Good cleasing to both you and Gertrudes.

Wow - I did the coffee enema yesterday and while it was a bit awkward to do I managed. When I was done and got up I was absolutely pain free for the first time in eight years :halo:. I have been on morphine levels painkillers for several years and they don't give the same level of absolute absence of any pain anywhere in the body - whatsoever. It was actually quite a blissful experience. The flip side of it is to realize how much pain I carry around normally - not just in my lower back - but also other parts of the body. You just don't notice it until it's gone.

I am wondering what the reason for the relief is. Does it signify that the pain can be removed by detoxification and a healthy diet as it was issues in the liver that caused the pain or is there a more indirect mechanism whereby the flushing of the liver and bile ducts prevents the body from either sending or receiving pain signals. I will definitely make coffee enemas part of my regular program. I read somewhere that doing it every day in excess of four months would wash out important trace minerals and metals. However, doing it two to three times a week should be fine.

Unfortunately, the pain-free state only lasted about 20 minutes but maybe that will be extended after introducing a more regular enema program.

To every one that is a bit nervous about the coffee enemas, I can only say try it! I was really amazed.

Hi Thor,

Sorry of this is embarrassing but, since we're all grownups here...

You mentioned having been on morphine strength pain killers for several years. Were you experiencing constipation when you did the enema or were your bowels moving well?

The reason I ask is that I've been reluctant to try it until I can get my sluggish bowels moving better, as I am dealing with the constipating side effect of morphine derived pain killers (which I have been taking for several years).

Since I'm off wheat (and pretty much all other allergens and inflammatories) I no longer have the benefit of All-Bran (or as it was once referred to on Saturday Night Live many years ago, Colon Blow).

As my diet is now stabilizing, I find things moving a little better, but it only takes one bad day for me to have to increase my pain killers and bind me up all over again.

Thanks,
Gonzo

Gonzo said:
The reason I ask is that I've been reluctant to try it until I can get my sluggish bowels moving better, as I am dealing with the constipating side effect of morphine derived pain killers (which I have been taking for several years).

Since I'm off wheat (and pretty much all other allergens and inflammatories) I no longer have the benefit of All-Bran (or as it was once referred to on Saturday Night Live many years ago, Colon Blow).

Hi Gonzo, if you're having problems with constipation, magnesium supplements (like magnesium citrate) can help loosen your stools and empty your bowels. You can also try psyllium husks. It's the stuff in metamucil, but that brand has sugar so you might want to just stick with the plain psyllium.

Thanks. I've actually gone down that route with little success. I still take psyllium husks to try to maintain, but it just doesn't help enough. I also am supplementing with magnesium, although only once per day.

My diet is 70 percent vegetable (on the hypoallegenic/anti-inflammatory, anti-nasty-lectin list), and either chicken or fish and as much fat/oils as I can stomach.

However, I have not looked into whether certain vegetables are constipating. Squash/pumpkins have a stool-softening effect, so I try to have them in my diet as well.

I used to have to take lactulose and docusate sodium to keep things relatively moving, but I've been trying to do this with diet and supplement alone. I am a little concerned that the above-mentioned created some form of bowel dependence.

I also drink about 4 litres of water per day.

I just started taking digestive enzymes with my meals, to see if that might cut down of the gas I seem to have recently developed, which might also help with the constipation.

Since I read that proper bowel functioning is essential to the detox process, I've been reluctant to try the coffee enema until I can move things along faster and more frequently.
Gonzo

Hi Gonzo

Are you drinking enough water through out the day? Drinking regularly and often seems to be the best (I drink a small cup of water every hour or so at work). Having enough water is important with constipation.
How much magnesium are you taking? I've personally had periods where I had to take 300mg of magnesium citrate 3-5 times a day to help with constipation.
Vitamin C is also really good if you are constipated. You could try 1000mg 3-5 times a day and see how you get on. If that's not enough after a day or two up it to 1500mg, then a few days later 2000mg etc
It could be your body needs a lot of vitamin c/magnesium at the moment which may be contributing to constipation.

This is what I've done in the past fwiw.

Hi RedFox,

Man, I hate hijacking a thread...

But to answer...

I am drinking oodles of water regularly. However, my magnesium intake of 150 mg was only in the morning, so I can increase the amount and will add a few more dosings in the day.

Same goes for the 1 gramme of VitC I take in the morning.
I hadn't yet acclimatized my thinking that vitamins could be considered supplements throughout the day instead of once daily. Not sure why I had such a blockage (pun intended) in my thinking.

Can anyone verify my thinking that people should not be liver cleansing or other detoxifications without adequate frequency of bowel movements (2-3 times a day)?

Thanks,
Gonzo

Gonzo said:
Hi Thor,

Sorry of this is embarrassing but, since we're all grownups here...

You mentioned having been on morphine strength pain killers for several years. Were you experiencing constipation when you did the enema or were your bowels moving well?

As my diet is now stabilizing, I find things moving a little better, but it only takes one bad day for me to have to increase my pain killers and bind me up all over again.

Thanks,
Gonzo

Hi Gonzo,

Feel free to ask. I have learned so much from other people on this forum and I am more than happy to pitch in with my experiences.

To answer your question, due to magnesium and Vitamin C my bowels are moving without problem. I second RedFox' advice on seeing if these supplements have any effect. A couple of weeks ago I read about magnesium on the forum for the first time and ordered a 500g bulk supply of MagnesiumCitrate in powder form so I can decide on the dosage very specificly. I received it and on the bag the recommended daily dosage was 4-6 g. Thinking that I was probably highly deficient in magnesium I took 6g in one go. That had a very significant calming effect and also a strong laxative effect :O. I have been experimenting with dosages and for me, anything more than 750mg at a time gives me diarrhea (which is equivalent to the recommended dosage of 10mg per kilo of body weight). I also experience a laxative effect from Goji berries They are extremely high in vitamin C and eating a table spoon full of them with breakfast definitely helps keep the system working the right way.

As I posted earlier, the relief of being entirely pain free is heavenly and can only be understood by someone with a chronic pain condition. Just ten minutes without pain opens your eyes to a world where that is possible and that is hugely motivating in making me want to do all the other things that may seem as sacrifices in relation to diet and lifestyle. I really hope that you find a solution to your constipation.

I don't know if my bowels heard my complaints or if my merely increasing my magnesium frequency, or both, but I had two movements today without the usual effort.

From experience I know to go as soon as I sense the urge and was fortunate to be in a store with a washroom this afternoon.

Anyway, I will continue to increase the supplements dosage and frequency and see if this helps. One does not a pattern make, so I'll be monitoring and hopefully picking up organic coffee shortly.

I know two different locations that roast on site, so I will be getting fresh roasted coffee but it won't be going anywhere with taste buds - LOL, pity.

This quitting coffee sucks though. I went from 13 cups a day 10 years ago, to 6 cups a day 1 year ago to 3-4 cups a day a few months ago. Now I'm weaning myself off, trying one coffee every other day for a week and am already substituting with various herbal teas when the cravings come.

Thanks to all who responded. I value the advice, experience and knowledge you have shared and am grateful, both to you and the DCM for your support and thoughts.

Just bought a bunch of goji berries coincidentally and will soon be harvesting berries from my sumac trees and the hawthorne trees down the street (urban foraging).

Gonzo

WOW. Decreased affect resulting from coffee, can that be true? I drank panloads of it in junior high school when I was going through especially tumultous times and ever since I've had decreased affect. It could be psychological but all the other stuff seems to fit, since I've drank lots of coffee and energy drinks lately and I have had increasingly difficult time thinking clearly. NO MORE. How could I have been so ignorant!?? Can you be allergic and addicted at the same time? Jeez...

edit: Obviously you can be allergic and addicted at the same time. I do have a toxic brain. What an inspiration to get my diet fixed!

edit: When I was on psych ward where coffee was freely available I drank some while returning to a more clarified mental state after acute psychosis. It immediately brought back extreme anxiety. But I've been able to drink it anxiety free since. Obviously though it will be good to drop it.

Bluestar said:
Since my mid twenties I have not been able to have any form of caffeine. Caffeine has been the culprit of ovarian cysts that swell up with fluid and break during ovulation. Very painful. Did self testing for 3 months when I found out that this may be what was causing the cysts. Lo and behold it was.

OMG! I'm new to drinking coffee, I'm 40 and the first time I really drank coffee was this January. I’ve always been a health snot about coffee=bad, and finally just got off my high horse, and found out that I actually like it, and it immediately became a daily habit.

BUT by early spring, I had a reoccurrence of some health problems I hadn’t had in a couple of years and I have not been able to put my finger on it – a lot of other things had been going on too, such as getting off my high horse about drinking and meat (have to say though, drinking=bad, and meat=good!). So I couldn’t identify the source. My stomach has been hugely distended and have been working on extra enzymes, rounds of probiotics & elimination diet – but to no significant avail.

I really think you’re on to something Bluestar – THANK YOU. How on earth did you ever make the connection anyway???

My polycystic ovarian problem, in the past (for about 20 years), had been caused by massive amounts of endocrine disrupters in my diet and environment – everything from constantly microwaving in plastic to diet high in every soy product imaginable, etc. For me it wasn’t just a pain thing, but depression and highstrung craziness too. But this time around, it’s just looking like I’m pregnant – vanity is quite the motivator (only half joking!), but I really did start taking my health for granted, and never realized how much progress I had made. I’m thrilled to have stumbled upon this today, and to see some potential – thanks again!!

HifromGrace said:
I really think you’re on to something Bluestar – THANK YOU. How on earth did you ever make the connection anyway???

About a year after being diagnosed with ovarian cysts, I went to a holistic doctor and he explained how chocolate can cause this problem. So I experimented and it was the cause. Then as I got older it was basically caffeine in general. I was never a big coffee drinker or caffeine drink lover so it was basically chocolate and black teas. So I just stopped intake of these items.

The bloating I experienced has been hugely reduced with pro biotics. I take two kinds everyday. One for the intestines and one made especially for women. With the elimination diet I have learned what makes me feel ill and I avoid those things as best as possible. It is always a work in progress and may take many months before you see any changes.

(have to say though, drinking=bad, and meat=good!)

For me, red meat is very hard to digest and causes bloating. Even grain fed, free range meats. You may want to avoid it for a few weeks and see how you feel. Then eat some and notice if there are any changes.

Hope you start to feel better sooner rather then later.

Back
Top Bottom