Barack Obama

mugatea said:
remember this qoute from Biden?:

"It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy. The world is looking. We're about to elect a brilliant 47-year-old senator president of the United States of America. Remember I said it standing here if you don't remember anything else I said. Watch, we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy."

But the C's did say Bush would reign till he died, so it's a toughy.

Well, you can't argue the "horse's mouth" (Biden) on this! And still we have what the C's said... Could it be that we will have a late Bush vs Obama match for power in the next months? After all, It is a nice way for the PTB to capitalize all the negative potential of the Bush administration for providing contrast for Obama and promoting him as the solution... But who knows? I can only agree that we live in interesting times!

:)

spyraal said:
Anyway, my point is that it is worth noting that Obama is also highly popular in a global perspective, and therefore whatever happens from now on with him will "involve" a greater part of the world. In a sense, considering that he was allowed to go this far, his global appeal may make him even more "dangerous" for various global manipulation scenarios than McCain and Palin would ever be!

That's what I've been thinking as well. He seems to be the perfect puppet to be used by the ptb for global control, maybe even implementing a new global cashless financial system or currency? He is VERY popular and everyone in the world seems to like him (well, the majority at least). With Obama in power the deception becomes more dangerous and "subtle" and may steer the population of this world to more willingly build their prison out of their own will. They way he's being admired and worshipped here in the US is quite disturbing and even a bit creepy to me. With all this emotional projecting people loose critical thinking very easily and may do whatever he says, hence follow him blindly. He's good with words and he appears to be so "innocent". In my eyes it was a brilliant move to bring him in. Also, in case Bush would try to stay in power, I think people would revolt. The momentum Obama has created for himself may just be too big already. Imperialism got a new facelift: _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MouUJNG8f2k

Hi Bernhard,

That's a very interesting video. Especially since he mentions the Trilateral commission, which I think that Andrew Labaczewski wrote about them in a letter to Laura as being those who are running the show, or at the visible ones.

However, the search function is not working for me and I haven't been able to find any reference to it yet. :(

Thanks for sharing.

Nienna Eluch said:
Hi Bernhard,

That's a very interesting video. Especially since he mentions the Trilateral commission, which I think that Andrew Labaczewski wrote about them in a letter to Laura as being those who are running the show, or at the visible ones.

However, the search function is not working for me and I haven't been able to find any reference to it yet. :(

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, as I said when I posted that link before:

Bernhard said:
I just came across this interview with Webster Tarpley about "The Men behind Obama" and the reasons why Obama is very bad news to the world, mostly because of his "handler" Brzezinski. Now I don't know much about Tarpley (I have done a quick search on here and have found some posts mentioning his work in regards to 9/11) or if he's saying the truth (seems more he's coming up with his own theories based on his research), however I found it an interesting scenario. Maybe others have some insights into this:

The men behind Barack Obama part 1
Interview with historian Webster Tarpley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MouUJNG8f2k

part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-KJCMWcoms

Here's Obama talking big about Brzezinski:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASlETEx0T-I

During a discussion with my daughter about the Obama win, I mentioned that there is a lot of speculation on the blogs that Obama won't reach his inauguration day because something will happen similar to 9/11 which in turn will allow Bush to impliment martial law.

Her response was; 'No, what I think will happen is that Obama will be taken to a secret room and have his mind altered with a special chip implant, so he'll be a complete brainwashed zombie.'

This was a surprising response for me, as she isn't usually political.

I told her that he had already chosen two Zionists for the most important positions - his VP and his Chief of Staff - so he's probably been brainwashed already.

As for the positive 'global' reactions to Obama, this has been reported by media which is highly suspect anyway. It is well-known, in this part of the world at least, that the American (and British) government is controlled by "the Jews". I suspect that if I did a quick straw poll of the people I know the general concensus would be; 'Let's wait and see.' But this is only a guess on my part. There certainly hasn't been any dancing and chanting in the streets around here.

Also has any of you, particularly the Brits noticed the hype & hope and general atmosphere is similar to what happened when New Labour and Tony Blair were voted in.

My first thought and comparison on reading the reactions of ordinary Americans to Obama's win, mugatea. I thought it was because I'm such a cynical little so-and-so when it comes to our modern-day politicians (including all European ones), so thanks for having the same thought.

I mean to say - look what happened with Blair! Ye gods!

mugatea (highlight added) said:
Yeah, that's good point, Obama may be the face of the nwo. Championing global and unpopular politics would be easier if it was sold by such a charasmatic man. It could be said that Bush's usefullness is up, cause he is despised so much globally. And Obama is gonna be championed as a man for all races, the face of the left and of the people.

I'm not sure his usefullness is up. Perhaps Bush's position is being used as the drive towards Obama? Bush backs everyone into a mental corner, then Obama offers the 'escape route'?
Another thought crossed my mind given what the C's said, what if something happens to Bush (perhaps he's visiting the 'nuke' practice)? Could Obama use that to push something through? Maybe everyone would except martial law under Obama quite happily!

mugatea said:
Jeez, criticising this guy may have some potential kick backs.

I thought of Israel when I read that. You can't criticise Israel without being labeled anti somatic. So perhaps no one will be able to criticise Obama without being labeled racist.

mugatea said:
Also has any of you, particularly the Brits noticed the hype & hope and general atmosphere is similar to what happened when New Labour and Tony Blair were voted in.

There is quite a lot of hype here, not quite the same as Blair (from my perspective anyway), but you could well be right. Blair certainly did promise 'change'.

One of the things I was struck by is how very fast Obama was declared the winner. 

In spite of all the pre-election day issues with the voting machines malfunctioning, there were no glitches mentioned the night of the election.  It all went so easy and fast.  McCain even made his call of concession rather quickly and easily.  (I even thought that McCain sounded more sincere during his concession speech than he had during all the rest of his campaign.) 

Although most of the following points have already been made, I will reiterate:

In the beginning, Hilary seemed to be the "chosen one", but Obama won out in the primaries.  It was a grueling "battle".  (heightened the drama).

For the last several months, my local newscast has seemed to show a slight bias towards Obama, with more criticism of McCain than I would expect in a Red State (Texas).

Then, Powell voiced his support of Obama - Powell seemed the perfect choice as he is so very well know as a (black) Republican.

The blatant destruction, lies, etc of the Bush Administration with McCain being a continuation of that and his choice of Palin as a running mate can be seen to be a way of driving voters into the arms of Obama. 

With Obama's popularity so widespread (nationally and globally), who is going to notice what he actually does?  The "mask" is securely in place.

Edit: forgot this:

I found myself crying when listening to Obama's acceptance speech. I so wanted to believe him. But, I cannot and the grief was deep.

Session October 23 said:
Q: (J) Will there be another terrorist attack in the US soon?
A: Bush does not need one, so no.
Q: (J) Will Bush continue on as President?
A: Until he dies.
Q: (J) Will he be assassinated?
A: Not likely.
Q: (H) Will he try to become a permanent leader, a Furher?
A: Will try.
Q: (H) Is he sick and will he die from his illness?
A: No...
Q: [Discussion about him being made sick or dying from other reasons.]
A: There are many ways to die.

This may be too much of a stretch, but I was wondering if it were possible the C's were referring to "daddy" Bush?

Myth of Myself said:
This may be too much of a stretch, but I was wondering if it were possible the C's were referring to "daddy" Bush?

I don't think so. The question was, will Bush continue on as President? That kinda eliminates daddy Bush IMO.

The American’s think they just elected a president. They had a choice of electing John McCain/Henry Kissinger or Barack Obama/Zbigniew Brzezinski. Both candidates in the election ritual are linked to advisors who represent the Trilateral Commission. This organization has interlinking membership with the Council On Foreign Relations. The Council on Foreign Relations is the American sister organization of the British Round Table, originated by Cecil Rhodes and backed by Rothschild banking family. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothschild_family The Rothschild family relationship with Zionism is another link to consider, with Rahm Israel Emanuel as Obama's Chief of Staff.

Wikipedia said:
The Rothschild’s were supporters of the State of Israel, and Baron Edmond James Rothschild’s was a patron of the first settlement in Palestine at Rishon-LeZion. In 1917 Walter Rothschild, 2nd Baron Rothschild was the addressee of the Balfour Declaration, which committed the British government to the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people.
James A. de Rothschild financed the Knesset building as a gift to the State of Israel.
The Supreme Court of Israel building was donated to Israel by Dorothy de Rothschild. Outside the President's Chamber is displayed the letter Ms. Rothschild wrote to Prime Minister Shimon Peres expressing her intention to donate a new building for the Supreme Court.

David Rockefeller was a founder of the Trilateral Commission.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockefeller_family

The banking cartel families appear to be the power behind the curtain of both candidates for the American presidency. In light of this perspective, the American election was a fraud. Perhaps, the banking cartel families selected the candidates Americans elected in a ritual of democracy intended to provide legitimacy and a public narrative to conceal the true nature of power politics/economics on this planet. The August Review details many of these links of power unmentioned in mainstream media or history.

http://www.augustreview.com/news_commentary/u.s._elections/obama_and_mccain%3a_pawns_of_the_global_elite?_2008080597/

August Review said:
Will it matter if Obama or McCain are elected in November? Hardly.Both are rigidly backed by important members of the Trilateral Commission who hijacked the Executive Branch of the U.S. government starting in 1976 with the election of Jimmy Carter.
In Obama’s case, Zbigniew Brzezinski (co-founder of the Commission in 1973) is emerging as his principal advisor on foreign policy. Ex-Fed Chairman Paul Volker has made a once-in-a-lifetime, glowing endorsement of Obama. Madelyn Albright is seen sitting next to Obama in several conferences. Shoot, even Jimmy Carter himself endorses Obama. All are top members of the Commission.
John McCain is being supported by several Trilateral Commission giants including: Henry Kissinger, George Schultz, Lawrence Eagleburger and Alexander Haig. All of these are ex-Secretaries of State who issued a joint endorsement of McCain early-on in his campaign.

Cassiopeans said:
A: The situation looks bleak indeed. But remember the Achilles heel of STS: Wishful Thinking.
Q: In this case, how is wishful thinking going to help?
A: There will be a big miscalculation made. It will reveal the "Man behind the curtain."
Q: So, we just keep doing what we are doing. And just like Bridges, they will make a mistake and reveal themselves for what they are. Is there anything else we need to know that we haven't asked?
A: Just keep on the path. You are doing well!

The events of history are accelerating. Perhaps, the ”Man behind the curtain”will be revealed by hubris, leading to miscalculation. It would have to be a monumental event to wake up humanity, the dream is so peaceful, and lessons are painful and frightening. What a fascinating universe.

Is there another ”Man behind the curtain”, than these powerful banking families? Even they obey the laws of the universe.

I was reminded by an old friend, a student of the Roman Empire, that we often perceive patterns and create a narrative to fit. It is most difficult to not know, and refrain from speculation or reach a conclusion based on the emotional need to know. I have often struggled to allow life to unfold with an open mind. It is a fearful thing to live with my ignorance and powerlessness. I begin to understand the more I know, the less I know.

The following press release evidence Webster Tarpley’s contention that the focus of events is shifting to the Anglo-American elites desire to eliminate Russia and China as independent centers of power. The Russians announced their intention to move missiles to Kaliningrad on the day Obama was elected. Is this a signal they understand Obama’s handlers intentions? Is this just another narrative woven for people who see behind the first curtain? I was interested by Tarpley’s argument in Bernard’s link to “The Men Behind Obama”, that Brzezinski intends to play Iran against the Russians. I wondered for a moment, what could Obama give Iran that they would ally with the “Great Satan”? The answer is plain. Iraq. Even as I write there is breaking news confirming the urgency at the highest levels of economic and political power.

Agence France-Presse said:
First Posted 05:15:00 11/09/2008
MOSCOW, Russia—Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and US president-elect Barack Obama want to meet "soon," the Kremlin announced Saturday.
During a telephone conversation, Medvedev and Obama spoke about "the need to organize a meeting soon," said the Kremlin in a statement, without specifying a date.
The two men "underlined the priority nature of relations between Russia and the United States, their positive development (being) not only important for the two countries themselves, but for the international community more generally," it said, adding that the desire for "international stability" demanded "constructive and positive cooperation."
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Wednesday that a meeting between the two leaders could take place on November 15 on the sidelines of a G20 summit in Washington on the global financial crisis.
In a congratulatory telegram to Obama early on Wednesday, Medvedev called for a "constructive dialogue" between Russia and the US.
However, he also launched a violent diatribe against Washington, which he judged responsible for the financial crisis and Russia's clash with Georgia in August, voicing the hope that "the new US administration will choose to have good relations" with Russia.
The Russian leader also announced the deployment of missiles in Kaliningrad to "neutralize" the US anti-missile shield due to be installed in Europe which remains a chief bone of contention between Moscow and Washington.
That deeply divisive issue reared its head again Sunday as an advisor to the president-elect was forced to state that Obama has made no commitment on building a missile defense shield in eastern Europe—contradicting a statement by the Polish President.
Earlier, Lech Kaczynski said after the two men spoke by telephone that Obama had indicated he would go ahead with plans to build the shield despite threats from Russia.
(The) "president-elect had a good conversation with the Polish President and the Polish Prime Minister about the important US-Poland alliance," Obama's foreign policy advisor Dennis McDonough said in a statement.
"President Kaczynski raised missile defense but President-elect Obama made no commitment on it.
"His position is as it was throughout the campaign, that he supports deploying a missile defense system when the technology is proved to be workable."

FireShadow said:
One of the things I was struck by is how very fast Obama was declared the winner.

Yes, I was also rather astonished how quick and effortless it all went through.

After listening to his first press conference yesterday, I thought , he started more sounding like a JFK rather than a puppet. Direct to the point , very very cautious when reporter asked about removing the tax benefits for the wealthiest companies, giving very less importance to the personal questions, sounds like a person in charge. It has been 8 yrs since I heard some sincerity and honesty in helping the middle class from president's/elect words ( succeed or not is different point ).

Cassiopeans said:
A: The situation looks bleak indeed. But remember the Achilles heel of STS: Wishful Thinking.
Q: In this case, how is wishful thinking going to help?
A: There will be a big miscalculation made. It will reveal the "Man behind the curtain."
Q: So, we just keep doing what we are doing. And just like Bridges, they will make a mistake and reveal themselves for what they are. Is there anything else we need to know that we haven't asked?
A: Just keep on the path. You are doing well!
is Obama factor is a Miscalculation?. Too early to say

Many ways, His raise is magical. obviously there is a bloodline connection. Some of the comments from the independent media struck me more interesting.

One Journalist mentioned that on WBAI radio that " he is like tiger woods. when tiger woods came to Golf, No body understood his game to even to play .At this point , no body understands the obama's politics. It looks like obama's raising of stupendous amount of money seems to have surpassed every imaginable expectation. If the PTB is the ONLY contributing factor, BUSH should have attracted more money. He seems to have raised huge money from middle class who contributed $10 , $25. ".

One more point is , how the entire black community acted smartly to make this happen. Generally these black leaders like Jesse Jackson, Al sharpon will be on the front in every thing related to black community. In this case, they are very silent, and his pastor Wright is also silent during the campaign. All the black leaders deliberately distanced themselves from obama campaign to give a perception that he is for every body , not only for blacks, though all the black guys are most happiest about the out come. This move feels like a very smart move, makes the dominists and white supremacists and middle class who subconscious feel superior more or less stupid .

Personally I am very happy I doesn't need to listen to sara Palin again. This ladies knowledge is far worse than my 6 yr old sons knowledge. She doesn't know Africa is a continent, she doesn't know what other countries in north American continent and she is too good to spend $150,000 for Clothes?. Outrageous. Plunder , Plunder as long as it is possible. she don't even have a conscious that she will be caught in this plunder. Her religious right schools which create Manchurian candidates in the name of GOD , completely out of control Non sense.

Laura's highlighting of this quote sounds interesting.

Cs session 3 August 1996 said:
A: Your Biblical prophecies speak of a period of terror and
chaos followed by calm, and then, unexpectedly, amdist
seeming overwhelming peace and renewal and prosperity, the
end.

{...}

Two Kennedys In An Obama Administration Possible
November 5th, 2008 By: Michael van der Galie

According to Politico, which pretty much became the propaganda tool for the Obama campaign during this year's campaign for president, President-Elect Barack Obama and his main team of advisers are contemplating asking two Kennedy's to accept a position in the Obama cabinet.

Obama is strongly considering asking Robert F. Kennedy Jr., son of the late senator and attorney general Robert F. Kennedy, to head the Environmental Protection Agency, Politico reports Democratic sources said earlier today.

Caroline Kennedy, who is Robert’s cousin, might become U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Politico adds.

That means that two Kennedys, who were important supporters of Obama, being considered the absolute elite of the Democratic Party, may play an important role in an Obama administration. According to Politico, these Kennedys are considered for important jobs because of the family’s support for Obama, reasonably early on in the race.

Generally PTB doesn't like the word 'Kennedy' as it stimulates the HOPE that JFK once created and continue to create to this day. By possibly including 2 people from Kennedy Clan, Obama already made his intentions clear. If so, we may have to expect another 'Crazy Lone killer' or as Laura mentioned "Group Murder" and In the process, completely exposing the Beast. I still didn't understand the optimism in C's comment when they said "exposing the beast behind the curtain". As long as people are muppets to media , expose will have limited or no impact.

Quote from: Windmill knight on Yesterday at 07:01:15 AM
Problem is, they were too ambitious and thought that Palin would stimulate the masses just enough for a tight election that could then be stolen, and she did for a while, but her popularity collapsed pretty soon and there were too many eyes on the voting process to steal it with such a big difference, like you say.

neocon gang did their own preparations of the purging of the obama supporters, despite all the monitoring and exposing. As long as media is in their side , they don't give damn to the expose. But the real stroke came from the huge massive turnout of under 30 voters who are predominantly obama supporters. This made any preparations neo con's made silly.

I was startled when I heard on November 4th Karl Rove call the election for Obama. Was this a code or set of instructions to clarify how the results would turn out?

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/the_campaign_trailers/2008/11/bushs-brain-cal.html

Karl Rove has some serious intelligence source to know the pulse and the outcome. May be this comment is related to that intelligence. Other possibility that comes to mind it C's mentioned that PTB is 150 years ahead of the general public. So he may have some source , that knows the outcome in advance.

4D STS and its 3D top brass like rockfeller's and his gang has two agenda's at the end.

1. destruction of the Jews : Mainly Jews from the region. mainly the people who have potential before the wave hits.

2. NWO : Mainly to produce as much as negative energy it can , possibly using them as containers.

Obama's image can help in the destrunction of israel , in the form of en powering the muslims and fight back. this works as long as he doesn't talk about hope in realistic terms and en powering general public.

It is going to be interesting time.

After listening to his first press conference yesterday, I thought , he started more sounding like a JFK rather than a puppet. Direct to the point , very very cautious when reporter asked about removing the tax benefits for the wealthiest companies, giving very less importance to the personal questions, sounds like a person in charge. It has been 8 yrs since I heard some sincerity and honesty in helping the middle class from president's/elect words ( succeed or not is different point ).

Sincere or not, Obama is a political animal. If his early experience is any indication, there will be a lot of coalition building, reaching across the party lines, careful wording of statements and reworking of programs and promises.

I read the article below long ago, and I think it gives a decent idea of where he is coming from and how he got to the position he is now. Like you said, whether anything he promises will become reality is up in the air, but one can't deny that he is crafty and adaptable.

can't but repeat after everyone else, this is going to be interesting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/08/AR2008100803890.html
From Outsider To Politician

Thursday, October 9, 2008

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. The taunting began as soon as Barack Obama joined the Illinois Senate in January 1997. He had expected to face some skepticism as a political neophyte, but not such outright hostility. For the first few months of his career as a lawmaker, Obama navigated the unfamiliar corridors of the state Capitol like a misfit lost in a new school, sometimes complaining to colleagues that he was "getting it from all sides."

He was a Democrat surrounded by Republicans. A Harvard intellectual chided by good old boys. A biracial progressive in an environment rife with racial tension. A sophisticated urbanite living in a town built on cornfields, 200 miles removed from his family in Chicago.

Even those senators who seemed like natural allies treated Obama with nothing but enmity. Rickey Hendon and Donne Trotter, fellow black Democrats from Chicago, dismissed him as cocky, elitist and, Trotter said, "a white man in blackface." When those insults failed to rile him, the two bought a copy of Obama's 1995 autobiography, "Dreams From My Father," and used the book to concoct more. They teased him for smoking marijuana as a teenager and for being raised by his white, Kansas-born grandmother. Most frequently, they ridiculed Obama for his complex ethnicity. You figure out if you're white or black yet, Barack, or still searching?

Obama ignored them. "Give it time," he told friends, "and I'll bring those guys around."

Obama has built a biography on overcoming obstacles -- on fusing unlikely bonds that help him to adapt and then advance. He knew from the moment he took the oath of office in Springfield that he wanted to move beyond the state Senate, so he set out to orchestrate his rise in trademark fashion: by emphasizing relationships over results; by transforming from an outsider into the ultimate insider.

Just as he had before -- as an American child who moved to Indonesia, an Ivy League graduate who worked in housing projects on Chicago's South Side and a black student who enrolled at Harvard Law School -- Obama arrived in Springfield with limited knowledge of his environment and few friends to guide him. He left eight years later with the legislative accomplishments, political savvy and network of allies needed to win a seat in the United States Senate.

[..]

His legislative record in the state Senate showed promise, but it was fraught with 129 "Present" votes, watered-down bills and a dearth of significant accomplishments -- shortcomings that hardly affected his success. With an eye toward the future, Obama decided to befriend everyone in Springfield who could help him get where he wanted to go. And that included the two men who mercilessly hazed him: Hendon and Trotter.

[..]

Stuck in the legislative minority, Obama had nothing but time to stew over his slow start. Republicans set the schedule, and they left Democrats in the dark about what time each day's session would begin and end. Obama lived at the Renaissance Inn, on the edge of downtown, where the long vistas of farmland from a room on the top floor reinforced the distance between his new life and his family. He watched ESPN. He played basketball each morning at the YMCA. He talked to his wife, Michelle, for almost an hour each night.

After weekends at home in Chicago, Obama sometimes considered leaving late for the legislative session to spend an extra day at home, some of his friends said. He would miss nothing but a few meaningless votes, he reasoned, and he could accomplish more by meeting with constituents in his Hyde Park neighborhood. Friends persuaded him to return to Springfield only when they reminded him of the political ramifications: A lot of missed votes, advisers said, might permanently scar his résumé. He needed to succeed downstate in order to build a record.

"There were times when the politics of Springfield troubled him, but he's not somebody who throws up his hands," said Abner Mikva, a former congressman who mentored Obama in Chicago politics. "He realized he needed to do some things their way, not always his way. He changed his approach. He knows how to adapt and succeed."

[..]

Jacobs, Terry Link and Larry Walsh -- all white Democrats, all older than 50, all from rural parts of the state -- would become Obama's closest friends in Springfield, but they viewed his initial arrival as the intrusion of an outsider. Jacobs was a loudmouth from the Iowa border, a self-described "backroom dinosaur" famous for his love of gambling. Walsh was a farmer from Elmwood who sometimes snuck out of session for a hot toddy. Link was a forklift business owner who narrowly graduated from high school.

As the young black senator from Chicago -- an Ivy Leaguer, a law professor -- bought into the poker game for $100 and lit a cigarette, Jacobs wondered: "What could he have in common with us?"

[..]

Obama folded frequently during the games, preferring to watch the action unfold until he could pounce with the occasional great hand. He filled the long gaps in between by seeking advice from his playing partners about balancing work and family, crafting legislation and aligning with Republicans. Even as Obama routinely took their money, the other players regarded him as naive but genuine. In various capacities, Link, Walsh and Jacobs all considered themselves Obama's mentors.

Obama was never a big drinker, but he faithfully brought along a six-pack of beer and downed a couple. He smoked and pitched in for midnight pizza. The poker game eventually migrated to Link's house and became the one social staple on Obama's schedule. The Committee Meeting, Obama called it -- and the appointment stood for eight years. His poker-mates sometimes teased him for becoming "one of the good ol' boys."

Fitting in, for Obama, had never been a natural process so much as a learned skill -- something that required adjustment and work. At Harvard, he befriended conservatives who eventually helped elect him president of the Law Review. As a young community organizer in Chicago, he emulated the speaking cadence of black pastors and joined Trinity United Church of Christ to help him connect with the city's South Side.

In Springfield, he decided he needed to play golf. Democrats who felt useless in the legislative minority sometimes left the session to play 18 holes in the early afternoon, and their on-course conversations ranged from meaningless trash talk to political dealmaking. Link invited Obama to play and watched the beginner hack his way around the course. Frustrated by his incompetence and worried he might not be invited again, Obama signed up for lessons. He almost beat Link the next year.

After his first year in Springfield, Obama took a golf trip to southern Illinois with his top adviser, Dan Shomon. Obama wanted to test how rural voters would respond to a black man, because he already had designs on a run for statewide office. Shomon coached him: Order regular mustard instead of Dijon; wear simple golf shirts instead of fancy button-downs. Obama returned from the trip convinced he could assimilate.

[..]

For Obama, only one road in Springfield remained blocked. Hendon and Trotter, two leaders in the black caucus, had both been in the state Senate for three years before Obama's arrival. They represented two of Chicago's destitute neighborhoods, and they repeatedly accused the newcomer of failing to understand the issues of the inner city. He cared more about his career than his constituents, they said. Hendon once told a newspaper that Obama was so ambitious he would like to run for "president of the world."

Hendon in particular regarded Obama as a foreigner to black Chicago. A lifelong resident of a blighted neighborhood on the city's West Side, Hendon had marched with the Black Panthers and seen his block damaged by the 1968 race riots. He married at 17 and became a grandfather in his mid-30s. He laughed when he imagined Obama as a child in Hawaii, exploring blackness by reading about racial persecution in magazines, watching Julius Erving play basketball or listening to gospel music.

[..]

Said Trotter: "There was a sense for many people in Springfield that Barack wasn't black enough. He was just . . . different. It's like being poor when it's 80 degrees and sunny, and you have plenty to eat. Or like being poor when it's 10 degrees and you're just trying to survive. He didn't understand it the same way we did."

Obama tried to dismiss them as jealous -- of his education, his intellect and his budding relationship with Jones, the black Senate minority leader. Obama nominated Lightford as chair of the black caucus, a tactic that helped mitigate Hendon and Trotter's role in his political future. Still, he sometimes left caucus meetings early or called Lightford beforehand to ask if he could skip altogether. "There were a lot of days when he called and said, 'Sorry Kim, but I just don't feel like taking it today,' " Lightford said.

Obama's poker buddies encouraged him to stand up to Hendon and Trotter, but he refused. Not his style, he said. And why sink to their level? When Hendon ridiculed Obama, his standard comeback was a dismissive shrug and a wave of his hand. Ah, Rickey, you've always got something to say."I never would have called him a fighter," Hendon said. "He used the silk gloves, and I used the iron fists."

The tension between the two men peaked on June 11, 2002, after Hendon made an impassioned speech on the Senate floor urging his colleagues to preserve funding for a child welfare facility in his district. It was, Hendon remembers, "basically the most emotional speech of my life, and I was pulling out all the stops." Every Republican still voted against him. Every Democrat voted with him -- except Obama and three other members who made up a faction known in Springfield as "liberal row."

Incensed by those four votes, Hendon walked across the floor and confronted Obama, who explained by saying "something about fiscal responsibility," Hendon recalls. A few minutes later, after Hendon's proposal had lost, Obama stood up and asked to have his previous vote changed to a "Yes" for the record, saying he had misunderstood the legislation. His request was declined, and Hendon stood to criticize Obama for political maneuvering.

Infuriated that Hendon had embarrassed him publicly on the Senate floor, Obama walked over to his rival's seat, witnesses said.

"He leaned over, put his arm on my shoulder real nice and then threatened to kick my ass," Hendon said.

The two men walked out of the chamber into a back room and shoved each other a few times before colleagues broke them apart, Hendon and other witnesses said. Obama and Hendon never talked about the incident with each other again, but they reached an awkward understanding. Hendon stopped teasing Obama; Obama started voting with Hendon more regularly. Hendon now supports Obama for president.

Some of the legislators on the floor that day believed Obama had finally snapped after more than five years of tolerating Hendon's provocations. But Obama's allies, the poker buddies and other friends who knew him best, wondered if his actions resulted from a deeper calculation. Had he actually reacted, so uncharacteristically, out of pure emotion? Or was his scuffle with Hendon a final, brilliant tactic in coalition-building?

[..]

"He finally met Rickey on his level, and that got him some respect," Lightford said. "That's what Barack needed to do, and it worked. They didn't tease him so much after that. It was like they finally realized that Barack was more than some soft punk to push around. He could play tough to get his way."

He could also play smart, and Obama used his relationships with new allies to build his résumé. Shortly after Democrats overtook the Senate in the 2002 elections, Obama approached Jones, the new Senate president, and asked for his assistance.

Obama blamed his loss in a 2000 election for Congress on his perceived lack of political experience, he told friends, and Jones could assist him in filling that gap. He scheduled a meeting with Jones in his office and asked the majority leader to help make him a U.S. senator. Jones, who had grown so close to Obama that he considered him a godson, immediately agreed.

During Obama's final two years in Springfield, Jones gave him coveted committee assignments and several high-profile bills to sponsor, other senators said. Jones sometimes scheduled legislative sessions around Obama's Senate campaign events.

[..]

Obama fulfilled his end of the deal by adapting the cool demeanor of a power broker. Gone was the verbose young senator who liked to hear himself talk on the chamber's floor. Toward the end of his time in Springfield, Obama became one of the quietest senators, colleagues said. He spoke only on big-ticket issues and delivered his thoughts with cadence and brevity. When he stood, the room now fell silent.

Listening, Obama decided, was usually more persuasive than lecturing. He offered to hear Republicans' ideas before they proposed them on the floor, acting as an early barometer of Democratic response. Even though his record leaned more liberal than most senators', Obama voted with Republicans during his eight years in the Senate more frequently than all but a few other Democrats. Occasionally, he offered to speak on behalf of legislation proposed by Republicans.

One longtime conservative, Republican state Sen. Kirk Dillard, cut a commercial for Obama's presidential campaign last year, saying, "Obama worked on some of the deepest issues we had, and he was successful in a bipartisan way."

[..]

"He realized sometimes that you can't get the whole hog, so you take the ham sandwich," said Jacobs, one of Obama's poker buddies. "For somebody who people criticize for being an idealist, I've seen Barack get realistic pretty fast. He understands that it's better to accomplish what you can, take your lumps and move on."

Jones helped Obama become the chief sponsor of a racial profiling bill that colleagues in the black caucus had developed. Hendon, who said he had worked on the legislation for a few months, proposed that police officers be punished and even fired for targeting minorities. In his early arguments for the bill, Hendon told first-person stories about the humiliation of being pulled over with his wife in the car and forced to stand in the rain. The bill did not gain significant support.

Then Obama took charge of the legislation and met with conservative Democrats and some Republicans. Taking their suggestions, he amended the bill so that it required police departments to keep track of whom officers pulled over. Those officers who showed patterns of racial profiling would receive warnings and counseling. On the Senate floor, Obama argued that the legislation was an essentially an insurance issue meant to help Illinois ward off lawsuits. Some police organizations supported his version of the bill, and it passed with ease.

During his two years in the majority, Obama worked his name onto 200 bills that became laws. He served as the primary sponsor on more than 20 successful measures. "I remember more than a few days," Trotter said, "when almost everything we voted on had his name on it."

[..]

"You could tell he couldn't wait to move on to Washington," Lightford said. "He wore it well. It was kind of like: 'Yeah, I can do Springfield with my eyes closed. What's next?' "

seek10 said:
After listening to his first press conference yesterday, I thought , he started more sounding like a JFK rather than a puppet. Direct to the point , very very cautious

When I heard his acceptance speech, it struck me that bits of it sounded like Martin Luther King's famous "I have a dream" speech - he used the same repeated inflections "in this day..." "with this faith" etc.

Whether that was calculated or just coincidental, I have no idea, but he sure seems to have affected a lot of people. As mentioned before, on the offchance that he IS genuine, he's going to have to be a lot smarter than JFK, which is rather a tall order. Otherwise, and considerably more likely, the folks are in for some humungous wake-up calls.

Barack Obama made a speech to AIPAC on June 4, 2008, pledging allegiance to the Zionist idea of a Jewish state. What is not racist about a state exclusive for one ethic group? Surely the irony of these words from Barack Obama’s lips cannot pass unnoted.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91150432

Obama said:
I first became familiar with the story of Israel when I was 11 years old. I learned of the long journey and steady determination of the Jewish people to preserve their identity through faith, family and culture. Year after year, century after century, Jews carried on their traditions, and their dream of a homeland, in the face of impossible odds.

The story made a powerful impression on me. I had grown up without a sense of roots. My father was black; he was from Kenya, and he left us when I was 2. My mother was white; she was from Kansas, and I'd moved with her to Indonesia and then back to Hawaii. In many ways, I didn't know where I came from. So I was drawn to the belief that you could sustain a spiritual, emotional and cultural identity. And I deeply understood the Zionist idea — that there is always a homeland at the center of our story.

Let me be clear. Israel's security is sacrosanct. It is non-negotiable. The Palestinians need a state that is contiguous and cohesive, and that allows them to prosper — but any agreement with the Palestinian people must preserve Israel's identity as a Jewish state, with secure, recognized and defensible borders. Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel, and it must remain undivided.

Back
Top Bottom