All About Fasting

Celiac

From _http://www.seekwellness.com/nutrition/celiac_disease.htm

I didn't see anything in this one concerning magnesium, but an interesting article on celiac, nonetheless. Mods, please move (or let me know if it should be moved) if it is not relevant to the Mg discussion (which it doesn't seem to be).

celiac disease

Source: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases

Having celiac disease means a person can’t eat gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye, or barley. Gluten may also be found in some medicines. Celiac disease is hereditary, meaning it runs in families. The treatment for celiac disease is a gluten-free diet. Other names for celiac disease are celiac sprue and gluten intolerance.

In people with celiac disease, the body’s immune system responds to gluten by damaging the lining of the small intestine. This lining has small fingerlike growths called villi. The villi normally absorb nutrients from the foods we eat. When the villi are damaged, the body can’t get the nutrients it needs.

People with celiac disease don’t always know they have it because they don’t feel sick. Or if they feel sick, they don’t know celiac disease is the cause.
Is celiac disease serious?

Yes. Celiac disease can be very serious. Besides stomach pain, it can cause anemia, malnutrition, infertility, a certain skin rash, and other health problems.
What Are the Symptoms?

Villi

Celiac disease affects people differently. Some people develop symptoms as children, others as adults. One factor thought to play a role in when and how celiac appears is whether and how long a person was breastfed--the longer one was breastfed, the later symptoms of celiac disease appear, and the more atypical the symptoms. Other factors include the age at which one began eating foods containing gluten and how much gluten is eaten. Is celiac disease serious? Yes. Celiac disease can be very serious. Besides stomach pain, it can cause anemia, malnutrition, infertility, a certain skin rash, and other health problems.
How Is Celiac Disease Diagnosed?

Celiac disease can be hard to discover because its symptoms are like many other digestive diseases. People with celiac disease can go untreated for many years.

If your doctor thinks you have celiac disease, you will probably need a blood test. You will need to follow your regular diet before and while being tested. If you don’t, the results could be wrong.

If your test results show you might have celiac disease, the doctor will perform a biopsy to make sure celiac disease is the problem. For a biopsy, the doctor takes a small piece of tissue from your small intestine. To get to your small intestine, the doctor puts a long tube into your mouth and down into your stomach. At the end of the tube are small tools for snipping out the bit of tissue needed to view with a microscope. You will take medicine before the biopsy that makes you very sleepy. It also keeps you from feeling any pain. Many people sleep through the procedure.
How is celiac disease treated?

The only treatment for celiac disease is a gluten-free diet. A dietitian can work with you to help you learn how to select gluten-free foods. A dietitian is an expert in food and healthy eating. You will learn to check labels of foods and other items for gluten. If you eliminate gluten from your diet, your small intestine will heal. If you eat gluten, or use items that contain gluten, you will harm your small intestine.

The following chart lists examples of foods you can eat and foods you should stay away from if you have celiac disease. This list is not complete. A dietitian can help you learn what other foods you can and can’t eat when following a gluten-free diet.

Allowed Foods
Amaranth
Arrowroot
Buckwheat
Cassava
Corn
Flax
Indian rice grass
Job’s tears
Legumes
Millet
Nuts Potatoes
Quinoa
Rice
Sago
Seeds
Soy
Sorghum
Tapioca
Wild Rice
Yucca
Foods To Avoid
Wheat

* Including einkorn, emmer, spelt, kalmut
* Wheat starch, wheat bran, wheat germ, cracked wheat, hydrolyzed wheat protein

Barley
Rye
Triticale (a cross between wheat and rye)
Other Wheat Products
Bromated flour
Duram flour
Enriched flour
Farina
Graham flour Phosphated flour
Plain flour
Self-rising flour
Semolina
White flour
Processed Foods that May Contain Wheat, Barley, or Rye*
Bouillon cubes
Brown rice syrup
Chips/potato chips
Candy
Cold cuts, hot dogs, salami, sausage
Communion wafer
French fries
Gravy Imitation fish
Matzo
Rice mixes
Sauces
Seasoned tortilla chips
Self-basting turkey
Soups
Soy sauce
Vegetables in sauce
* Most of these foods can be found gluten-free. When in doubt, check with the food manufacturer.

Adapted from the following resource: Thompson T. Celiac Disease Nutrition Guide. 2nd ed. Chicago: American Dietetic Association; 2006. Used with permission.
Points to Remember

* People with celiac disease can’t eat foods or use items with gluten in them.
* Celiac disease harms the small intestine.
* People with untreated celiac disease can’t get needed nutrients.
* Without treatment, people with celiac disease can develop other health problems.
* Celiac disease is diagnosed by blood tests and a biopsy of the small intestine.
* A gluten-free diet must be followed for life.
* A dietitian can help people choose the right foods.

For More Information

Celiac Disease Awareness Campaign
National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse
2 Information Way
Bethesda, MD 20892–3570
Phone: 1–800–891–5389
Fax: 703–738–4929
Email: celiac@info.niddk.nih.gov
Internet: http://www.celiac.nih.gov/

American Celiac Society
P.O. Box 23455
New Orleans, LA 70183–0455
Phone: 504–737–3293
Email: info@americanceliacsociety.org
Internet: http://www.americanceliacsociety.org/

American Dietetic Association
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000
Chicago, IL 60606–6995
Phone: 1–800–877–1600
Email: knowledge@eatright.org
Internet: http://www.eatright.org/

Celiac Disease Foundation
13251 Ventura Boulevard, #1
Studio City, CA 91604
Phone: 818–990–2354
Fax: 818–990–2379
Email: cdf@celiac.org
Internet: http://www.celiac.org/

Celiac Sprue Association/USA Inc.
P.O. Box 31700
Omaha, NE 68131–0700
Phone: 1–877–272–4272 or 402–558–0600
Fax: 402–558–1347
Email: celiacs@csaceliacs.org
Internet: http://www.csaceliacs.org/

Gluten Intolerance Group of North America
31214 124th Avenue SE
Auburn, WA 98092
Phone: 253–833–6655
Fax: 253–833–6675
Email: info@gluten.net
Internet: http://www.gluten.net/

National Foundation for Celiac Awareness
P.O. Box 544
Ambler, PA 19002
Phone: 215–325–1306
Email: info@celiaccentral.org
Internet: http://www.celiaccentral.org/
Acknowledgments

The National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC) would like to thank William F. Stenson, M.D., Washington University, for assisting with scientific and editorial review of this publication. Thanks also to Alice Bast and Nancy Dickens, National Foundation for Celiac Awareness; Cynthia Kupper, R.D., C.D., Gluten Intolerance Group; and Elaine Monarch, Celiac Disease Foundation, for reviewing the food chart.

Thanks to Joseph Murray, M.D., at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, New York, for facilitating the field testing of this booklet.
National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse

2 Information Way
Bethesda, MD 20892–3570
Email: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/about/contact.htm

The National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC) is a service of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK). The NIDDK is part of the National Institutes of Health of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Established in 1980, the Clearinghouse provides information about digestive diseases to people with digestive disorders and to their families, health care professionals, and the public. The NDDIC answers inquiries, develops and distributes publications, and works closely with professional and patient organizations and Government agencies to coordinate resources about digestive diseases.

Publications produced by the Clearinghouse are carefully reviewed by both NIDDK scientists and outside experts.

This publication is not copyrighted. The Clearinghouse encourages users of this publication to duplicate and distribute as many copies as desired.

NIH Publication No. 07–5755
March 2007
Posted August 2008

Re: Fasting, Gluten, MSG, Soy, Blood Type Diet

Yes, this thread should be read in conjunction with the threads on Magnesium and Candida. The information and conditions overlap.

Laura said:
Yes, this thread should be read in conjunction with the threads on Magnesium and Candida.

I have couple of questions regarding the allergies. I recently I got done igG Elisa good panel test for allergies . the results are some what interesting.

Being O+ blood group, it did made sense some what.

Test has scoring for each food , scores are from 0 to .400,
If the score is more than .200 , food is considered as allergetic, though they mention .185 to .215 should be considered equivocal.
My test scores for some of the foods of interest for discussion are

almonds - .197
bean(lima) -.226
blueberry - .210
cantaloupe -.200
cashew -.268
celery -.213
coconut -.203
garlic -.202
milk(cow) -.297
oat -.325
peanut -.226
pepper(black) -.203
safflower -.205
strawberry -.215
tomato -.204
walnut(black) -.217
watermelon -.215
yeast(bakers) -.218
yeast(brewers) -.208
yogurt -.223
cheese -.16 for ( cheddar, cottage, swiss )
pepper(chilli) - .196
pepper(green) - .183
sunflower seed - .187

Interestingly Gluetin came as .171 and wheat came as .183.

when my PCP took the blood this test , I added one more test to the list for candida, to get a feel of it
candida immune comlex.( specific to Candida albicans)

the result score came as 95

the meaning of trhe score for this candida test is Normal is less than 100 , abnormal if the score is greater than 100.
So this score can be considered on border .

so I started to doing , sugar free, dairy free, glutin free etc, often questioning ( and violating the diet restriction) my self with the borderline allergy foods from the list
almond, walnut , coconut, pepper (green).
is it better to get rid of almond, walnut, and berries totally?.

The most painful of all this chilli pepper, removing this make my food completly dull.

One more question.

I was reading a candida book called Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook, Revised 2nd Edition: Everything You Need to Know About Prevention, Treatment & Diet

This book cautions against completely going against milk and yogurt.

If all the dairy products are eliminated from the diet for 6 months or year , the person may loose the ability to them, so keep little dairy, preferably yogurt , in diet once a week or twice a month to retain the enzymes needed for future dairy consumption. since some dairy allergies can be healed, retaining even a little dairy in the diet allows a choice to he had in future.

is this fair to have yogurt 2 to 4 times a month , being allergic to milk ?

seek10 said:

Maybe a solution is to stick strictly to the diet for 6-8 weeks.

Your body will start talking (belly size, gazes, bowel movements...), as if previously the Candida was controlling the body and suppressing/distorting those signals.

With those new data you should be able to know how each food affects you personally. Then you can try to re introduce very progressively yogurt in your diet and monitor the effects.

Belibaste said:
seek10 said:

Maybe a solution is to stick strictly to the diet for 6-8 weeks.

Your body will start talking (belly size, gazes, bowel movements...), as if previously the Candida was controlling the body and suppressing/distorting those signals.

With those new data you should be able to know how each food affects you personally. Then you can try to re introduce very progressively yogurt in your diet and monitor the effects.
thank you belibaste, that's a good idea. I will try and see.

I grew up eating so much MSG, it's a miracle I can still use my brain :-[
I'm of course very shocked to learn, just how dangerous it is.

Eliminating it from our food has proved very tricky, but I'm doing my best.
After eliminating the MSG, I've had a strong craving for salt, I hope it'll pass in time.

I'm also on a glutenfree diet, on day 4 now..
I've noticed how the water I drink pass through me alot quicker than before.
My vision is somewhat blurry here on day 4, and I feel more tired than usual. Don't know if it is connected at all, with the missing gluten.

I'll keep on going, to see if it has any measurable benefits at all.

Helle said:
I'm also on a glutenfree diet, on day 4 now..
..My vision is somewhat blurry here on day 4, and I feel more tired than usual. Don't know if it is connected at all, with the missing gluten.

Seems to me to be an indication of detox symptoms.
You can search the forum for detox symptoms, so you can be mentally prepared for what you're going to encounter over time when adjusting your diet, and how to alleviate those symptoms somewhat. It sure can get really unpleasant, but don't forget it's just a sign that your body is beginning to eliminate the toxins.

I read all the threads on detox and diet before I decided, that's what I had to do.

I'm doing it slowly, 1 step at a time, starting with the gluten, which by itself is very hard for me.

Bringing lunch for work, seems to be my hardest problem, unless I have leftovers from dinner. Otherwise I'm going with ricecrackers and veggies ! :)

Good for you Helle!
Helle said:
I grew up eating so much MSG, it's a miracle I can still use my brain
Same here. It took a little while after going cold turkey before the cravings stopped, but I feel SO much better now. I still fall for wheat products once in a while (alternatives are really limited where I live) but I'm trying to cut those too. I have a feeling that when I can completely cut wheat out of my diet I'm on a road to feeling even better.

I think that after I'll get better adjusted to non-gluten diet (cooking- and eating-wise) I'll go for the detox as well. It is really exciting to see how much better I can feel just by changing what I eat :D

Helle said:
Bringing lunch for work, seems to be my hardest problem, unless I have leftovers from dinner. Otherwise I'm going with ricecrackers and veggies ! :)

The way I do it is I try to cook in large quantities at night so I have plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day. Sometimes I'll even cook a meal for dinner, and then cook something else to bring to work and keep in the fridge which will hopefully last a few days. That way, you keep to your diet and don't have the urge to order out, which is usually problematical in relation to the diet. Of course their are days when I don't feel like cooking at all, but that is when you have to really test your will and do what "IT" does not like. :)

Bringing lunch for work, seems to be my hardest problem,

Wraps are excellent for lunch. We make crepes out of rice flour then put our favorite sandwich fillings on top and roll em up. Avocados are a great substitute for mayo.

Saves a lot of money too.

Mountain Crown said:
Wraps are excellent for lunch. We make crepes out of rice flour then put our favorite sandwich fillings on top and roll em up. Avocados are a great substitute for mayo.

Just a note that processed meats like those designed for sandwiches are a source of toxicity. Usually when I want to have a wrap I use meat that I have cooked. But the crepes from rice flour sound like a good alternative to natural flour wraps, as long as it's not from white rice.. I usually get the brown rice wraps from the health food store that have to be frozen. And homemade mayo is not be discounted for its deliciousness! Very easy to make and you can add a few things to the normal recipe for variety too!

Don't mean to be the diet police here, just pointing out a few things in case you weren't aware. :)

I don't have any healthfoodstores selling brown rice wraps unfortunately, so I'd have to make them myself.
I'll go lookie for a recipe, thanks for the tip, hadn't thought of wraps!

- And I always cook my own meat, I'm very picky :/

Really thanks for this topic!!

I'm now on my first week with distilled water and without gluten. And am working to calibrate my diet more and more, that means also keep on reading the stickied health topics.

What happened today to me, I bought gluten-free rice flakes in a hurry and looked back home on the ingredients: "There could be traces of nuts, milk, soy…".
Well, soy can be find in so many things…

But has someone of you experience with problems of the bloodstream? What didn't help so far is cold showering in the morning, drinking water. Especially in the morning when I have breakfest and then walk/cycle to school and then sitting down, blood is missing in the head (so it seems), the body feels miserable (pressure on the eyes) and I'm unable to concentrate fully.

Crepes made from buckwheat flour are really good. Just put some buckwheat flour in a bowl, add an appropriate amount of gluten free baking powder, a bit of salt, oil, and enough rice milk to make the batter the consistency you want. You don't need eggs or anything else. In fact, you can probably leave out the baking powder if you want.

Back
Top Bottom