Caffeine allergy

Gaby

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
I've never considered in the past that I could be allergic to coffee, but a kinesiology test was positive for it, and stopped drinking it, having subsequently a general improvement. Then I stumble upon the following article today...

Caffeine Induced Anaphylaxis, A Progressive Toxic Dementia

_http://www.doctoryourself.com/caffeine2.html

Cerebral allergy is an allergy to a substance, which targets vulnerable brain tissue and alters brain function. Masked cerebral allergy can cause symptoms of mental illness (Walker, 1996; Rippere, 1984; Sheinken et al., 1979). Symptoms range from minimal reactions to severe psychotic states, which may include irrational behavior, disruptions in attention, lack of focus and comprehension, mood changes, lack of organizational skills, abrupt shifting of activities, delusions, hallucinations, and paranoia (Sheinken et al., 1979; McManamy et al., 1936).

An allergic reaction to caffeine manifests as anaphylaxis (Przybilla et al., 1983). During a state of caffeine anaphylaxis, the body enters the fight or flight mode, which may be mistaken as hyperactivity, anxiety, or panic disorder. Caffeine anaphylaxis causes cerebral vasculitis, leads to the breakdown of the blood brain barrier, and generates toxic dementia.

Toxic dementia induced by a stimulant or other toxin affects function of all brain areas (Jacques, 1992). Several signs of toxic dementia are memory impairment, deterioration of social and intellectual behavior, and attention deficits (Allen et al., 2001; Jacques, 1992; Headlee, 1948).

Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), assumed to affect children, (though of late, adult onset ADD is grabbing a slice of the pie of psychiatric disorders), is indistinguishable from caffeine allergy. Claudia Miller, M.D. stresses that a chemical sensitivity, which includes caffeine as a chemical capable of inducing sensitivity, can induce attention deficits with hyperactivity (Miller, 1997).

Deteriorating intellect, the first stage of caffeine induced allergic toxicity masquerades as ADD. Inability to concentrate, lack of comprehension, lack of focus, hyperactivity, delusions, and disorganized thought processes are hallmark signs of caffeine allergy. An allergic reaction to caffeine results in poisoning of the prefrontal cortex. Damage to the underside area on the prefrontal cortex, above the eye sockets, generally renders a person absent minded and interferes with the ability to monitor personal activities (Carter, 1998). Injury results in loss of verbal and social inhibition, interferes with focus and memory (Eliot, 1999), and suppresses math skills (Carter, 1998).

In studies involving comprehension skills, as in mathematics and logical reasoning, caffeine has either exhibited no change, or has actually depleted performance (Braun, 1997). Caffeine may jeopardize math skills and detailed projects, which require additional thought (Serafin, 1996; NTP Chemical, 1991).

Caffeine anaphylaxis interferes with the ability to focus. Sitting still becomes a project. Raising the catecholamine level, caffeine produces additional dopamine, which increases locomotive movement. Agitation is associated with excess dopamine (Carter, 1998).

Caffeine causes faster speech and mobility in children (Nehlig et al., 1992). With 80% of the world’s population consuming caffeine, most persons have remained stimulated since childhood. Stimulated adults can’t detect caffeine-induced changes in themselves or in children. Misjudging a child’s natural state, adults assume children should speak and act at the same rate as stimulated adults. People forget that we are born relaxed. Acceleration of speech and action indicates mania (Victor et al., 2001; Restak, 1984), associated with bipolar affective disorder. Manic symptoms affect children. Psychiatrically hospitalized manic children display symptoms of ADD (Carlson et al., 1998).

Complaints of lack of focus, failing memory, and other mental abnormalities, signify hypomania, a lesser degree of mania (Victor, 2001), which accompanies the first stage of ongoing-caffeine-induced-anaphylaxis-induced fight or flight dementia. Unable to correlate the patient’s complaints with a textbook disorder, physicians assume ADD.

According to the American Psychiatric Association, which classifies caffeine as a substance, substance intoxication can present with disturbance in thinking, judgment, perception, attention, motor activity, and social functioning (1994). Caffeine toxicity can induce restlessness, agitation, irritability, confusion, and delerium (Steinman, 2001; Fisher Scientific, 1997; Turkington, 1994; Shen et al., 1979). In addition, anaphylaxis can induce delerium (Kaplan, 2000).

Unlike Stephen Cherniske, aware of instinct warning him that caffeine was affecting his behavior (Cherniske, 1998), a child does not know. A youngster can’t feel the mild stimulant rush because the underdeveloped body has developed a tolerance. Similarly, a toxic adult loses natural insight and can’t recognize caffeine induced intellect and personality changes (Shen, 1979; McManamy, 1936; Crothers, 1902).

During partial withdrawal, the body metabolizes some caffeine, saturating cells. Clarity struggles to return. Symptoms of partial withdrawal can overlap traits of poisoning (Strain et al., 1997) and can mimic depression (Hirsch, 1984). As the noradrenaline level diminishes, symptoms of depression set in (Restak, 1994, Ackerman, 1992). Caffeine induced withdrawal depression can manifest as hyperactivity, lethargy, irritability, confusion, and lack of focus. The glucose level, which rises along with adrenaline (Davidson et al., 1969) and remains elevated during the body’s struggle to maintain homeostasis, drops. A decrease in glucose encourages lack of motivation, which may also mimic depression.

As Allbutt and Dixon stressed, in 1909, regarding caffeine, another “dose of the poison” provides minor relief, but continues to jeopardize organs (1909). A return to caffeine intake increases noradrenaline, heightening the fight or flight response. In turn, adrenaline, dopamine, and glucose increase, thus lifting depression. With continued substance exposure, toxins accumulate (Van Winkle, 2000).

Caffeine allergy is a deceptive allergy. Ongoing caffeine anaphylaxis reduces allergic inflammation and maintains organ stimulation. Endogenous glucocorticoids (including cortisol) inhibit inflammation (Claman, 1983). Theophylline is the principle therapy for asthma. All forms of theophylline maintain open bronchial passages, allowing for easier breathing. During ongoing caffeine anaphylaxis, airways remain open.

Adrenaline, the drug of choice for anaphylaxis, is always present in a caffeine consumer. By suppressing phosphodiesterase release, caffeine (Davidson, 1969) increases cyclic AMP. Excess amounts of cyclic AMP inhibit histamine production (Dykewicz, 2001; Ernst et al., 1999). Phosphodiesterase inhibitors inhibit histamine release (Raderer et al., 1995).

Cyclic AMP is increased in patients diagnosed as schizophrenic and many individuals diagnosed with affective disorders (Nishino et al., 1993; Erban et al., 1980; Biederman et al., 1977). Histamine is reduced in persons diagnosed with schizophrenia, a late stage of ongoing caffeine anaphylaxis.

Although the histamine level is low in schizophrenics (Malek-Ahmadi et al., 1976; Hoffer et al., 1967), schizophrenic patients exhibit a marked tolerance to histamine (Lea, 1955). This suggests, in the case of caffeine anaphylaxis, that during the onset stage of schizophrenia, when anaphylaxis induced hyperactivity, or anaphylaxis induced panic symptoms were mistaken as ADD, anxiety, or panic, (before continued cerebral poisoning), histamine was increased but the allergy went undetected.

Symptoms of allergic anxiety (Bonner, 2000; Kaplan, 2000; Walsh, 2000) may be mistaken as anxiety neurosis, considered an onset symptom of schizophrenia. When a young person experiencing a first anxiety episode arrives in an emergency room, doctors suspect a developing schizophrenia (Victor, 2001).

Attention and memory deficits accompany schizophrenia (Zuffante et al., 2001; Goldberg et al., 1993). Researchers theorize that prior to the onset of schizophrenia changes in a person’s cognition may be subtle (Goldberg, 1993).

Chlorpromazine (Thorazine) and other phenothiazine drugs exhibit an anti-histamine effect (Sifton, 1994; Malek-Ahmadi, 1976), similar to diphenhydramine (Benadryl). A person allergic to caffeine, taking a phenothiazine medication, will experience relief of the physical manifestations of ongoing caffeine anaphylaxis. In addition, phenothiazine medications reduce allergic induced abnormal psychological symptoms, including a reduction in paranoia, hallucinations, and delusions, and generate a return of partial insight, focus, and comprehension.

Ongoing caffeine allergy induces a progressive toxic dementia (McManamy, 1936). In a caffeine allergic person, each caffeine or theophylline dose increases toxin accumulation. A buildup of caffeine, which may exceed tolerance level, saturates the ability of metabolism (Carrillo et al., 2000; Nehlig, 1999); rate of drug accumulation exceeds rate of elimination. Introducing a stimulant into a caffeine allergic individual’s system will further poison the frontal cortex and hypothalamus and continue to mask allergic symptoms of caffeine anaphylaxis. Continued stimulant use increases toxic psychosis, which results in decreased affect and deterioration of mental abilities.

References:

[Check the link for references]
I did a search in the web, finding more interesting information that I was not familiarized with.

I have to admit that I love coffee!! But definitely staying away from it as an experiment which is already having good results. I'm starting to look my past issues with anxiety with a new light too, even if it was not due to coffee, it could certainly contributed...

Psyche said:
I've never considered in the past that I could be allergic to coffee, but a kinesiology test was positive for it, and stopped drinking it, having subsequently a general improvement.

What is a kinesiology test for caffeine allergy? Are there other ways to determine if a caffeine allergy is present?

[quote author=Psyche]
I have to admit that I love coffee!! But definitely staying away from it as an experiment which is already having good results. I'm starting to look my past issues with anxiety with a new light too, even if it was not due to coffee, it could certainly contributed...
[/quote]

I love coffee too!! I am looking for data that will strengthen my resolve to finally 'quit coffee'. Until now, I love the stuff too much and I do not really want to quit...yet. Maybe some cold, hard facts will help?

Since caffeine allergy is similar, if not identical in symptom to ADDHD, I can imagine the growing trend of kids consuming energy drinks which are loaded with significantly higher levels of caffeine then coffee, could contribute to an ever greater incidence rate of ADDHD diagnoses, not to mention the damage caffeine can do to the developing brain.

Clever buggers, ensuring the leaders of tomorrow are incapacitated.

Very interesting article, thanks.

Gonzo

Interesting....I seem to remember reading that Candida thrives/feeds off caffeine, so could it possible that all these effects are directly linked to the caffeine or could it be caffeine->candida flareup->symptom?

Shoot, I completely and oh-so-conveniently forgot that. I have removed most of what feeds candida from my diet and have been gradually cutting back my coffee consumption, but my fungal rashes are persistent.

I need to accelerate the decaffination. I have gone from 6-8 cups a day down to 3 cups half decaffinated but methinks I need to go all the way.

Thanks for the reminder.

I had been considering switching to green tea for the last leg of my quitting as it also has theanine (I think that's its name) which helps counteract the stimulant of caffeine with its calming action, but I doubt it counteracts the allergenic properties of caffeine. So much for that thought.

Gonzo

Decaffeinated coffee was just as evil for me as espresso. In fact, it was even worse. One thing that I've heard about caffeine is its effect triggering insulin which leads to insulin resistance which I think can jack up the blood sugar which is bad.

I love the stuff... no getting around it. It's the one thing that I have given up that I still miss. But I gave it up 7 years ago and have stayed firm in my resolve. Even a tiny bit triggers very unpleasant reactions.

Gonzo said:
Since caffeine allergy is similar, if not identical in symptom to ADDHD, I can imagine the growing trend of kids consuming energy drinks which are loaded with significantly higher levels of caffeine then coffee, could contribute to an ever greater incidence rate of ADDHD diagnoses, not to mention the damage caffeine can do to the developing brain.

Clever buggers, ensuring the leaders of tomorrow are incapacitated.

Very interesting article, thanks.

Gonzo

Yes, it's terrible to see very young children drinking HUGE cans of energy drinks! And I've seen many times how parents can buy this stuff for their children, and sometimes the children are no older than first graders. :O

Apropos green tea, there has been information on this forum and elsewhere about green tea having small amounts of fluoride in it. I've been off coffee now since January, but still drink 2 to 3 cups of green tea per day. I'm not sure how damaging this is, has anyone got more information/experience on this?

Thanks Psyche for the info, very interesting!

What is a kinesiology test for caffeine allergy?

I don't know if you are familiar with kinesiology at all. It's a system that uses muscle testing to determine if the thing tested (it can range from food to psychological stress) stresses your system of meridians (energy system). There are different ways to test but in the one I'm using (Health Kinesiology), you take the food in question, put it on a specific reflex point of the meridian system (just below the navel, on the directing vessel), hold with your finger another point in front of the ear (gallbladder meridian) and then use the muscle test (an isolated chosen muscle that will be resilient (or not) according to whether your system 'agrees' with the tested food or not). Some kinesiologists use little papers instead (some soaked with the substance, some with the word written on it, apparently, I'm not really familiar with this procedure), some flat out ask the body verbally and muscle test).

Hope this helped clarify a bit..

Laura said:
I love the stuff... no getting around it. It's the one thing that I have given up that I still miss. But I gave it up 7 years ago and have stayed firm in my resolve. Even a tiny bit triggers very unpleasant reactions.

FWIW I was never a heavy coffee drinker, I had one of two cups a week of the 'sissy' kind of coffee: cappucino caramel. And since I have been on the USD, I have sipped once a tiny bit of coffee and it was awful. My tastebuds are no longer numb and I could tasted like 'burned' cereals with warm water, the acidity was unbelievable, etc.
So maybe coffee would no longer taste as good for you as it did back then?

Gonzo said:
Shoot, I completely and oh-so-conveniently forgot that. I have removed most of what feeds candida from my diet and have been gradually cutting back my coffee consumption, but my fungal rashes are persistent.

Are you taking L-Glutamine powder? Since it heals the gut, this really helped me with skin rashes while getting rid of candida. It only took three weeks or so, actually.

I, too, am a coffee lover and like many here, will see it as something to be sorely missed when I give it up.

Laura said:
Decaffeinated coffee was just as evil for me as espresso. In fact, it was even worse. One thing that I've heard about caffeine is its effect triggering insulin which leads to insulin resistance which I think can jack up the blood sugar which is bad.

I looked a little bit into the health issue on decaf and found the following that is worth considering (taken from http://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/Is_Decaffeinated_Or_Decaf_Coffee_Healthy__a800.html)

Is Decaffeinated Or Decaf Coffee Healthy?

Caffeine is the most widely consumed drug in the world. Coffee addicts who switch to decaf for health reasons may not be as free from caffeine's clutches as they think. A study conducted by the researchers of University of Florida put forth that decaffeinated coffee is not entirely caffeine-free. Also, it is important to understand that there are a number of significant chemical compounds present in coffee, other than caffeine, which also have strong effects on the body. The common active constituents include chlorogenic acid, caffeol and diterpenes. Many health disorders that are aggravated by coffee are still affected by decaffeinated coffee, despite the lowered level of caffeine, due to these other phytochemicals that remain in decaf coffee even after the decaffeination process.

Health effects of decaf coffee
Decaf coffee increases acidity

Coffee is highly acidic and it can stimulate the hyper-secretion of gastric acids. Coffee creates more reflux than caffeine added to water, suggesting that other components of coffee contribute to its aggravating effect. Decaf coffee has been shown to increase acidity to a greater degree than either regular coffee or caffeine alone due to the fact that decaffeinated coffee is made from Robusta beans. This in result aggravates health problems such as acid reflux, GERDS and ulcers making people susceptible to the detrimental effects of high levels of acidity. Decaf coffee consumption has also been associated with a greater incidence of heartburn than drinking any other fluids. Therefore, quitting coffee may reduce stomach problems that are associated with the high acidity of decaf coffee.

Decaf coffee increases cholesterol and heart attack risk
Several studies have shown that decaffeinated coffee raises the risk for heart attacks similar to regular coffee in spite of the lowered levels of caffeine. A U.S. National Institutes of Health study suggested that drinking decaffeinated coffee increased the risk of heart disease. This study showed that the group drinking decaffeinated coffee experienced an 18% rise in non-essential fatty acids in the blood, which can drive the production of LDL cholesterol and an 8% rise in apolipoprotein B - a protein associated with cholesterol linked to cardiovascular disease.

Levels of LDL cholesterol, a strong predictor for heart attacks, increase after coffee drinkers switch from regular coffee to decaf coffee. These finding suggests that a phytochemical present in coffee other than caffeine is responsible for the subsequent LDL cholesterol and apolipoprotein B activity.

The fact is that caffeinated and decaf coffees are known to be made from different beans. Decaf coffee is often made from Robusta beans, which contain a much higher content of fats called diterpenes. Diterpenes are known to stimulate fatty acid production in the body. Thus, decaf coffee has proved more harmful effects on the heart as compared to regular coffee. Coffee oils other than caffeine have also been demonstrated to elevate liver enzyme levels, further inhibiting the liver’s ability to effectively regulate serum cholesterol.

Also, chlorogenic acid is found in both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee. It is believed to raise plasma levels of homocysteine, which is associated with increased susceptibility of developing cardiovascular disease. Reducing intake of both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee may be important in controlling plasma homocysteine levels.

Decaf coffee may lead to osteoporosis

According to an osteoporosis expert of Creighton University in Omaha, there occurs a loss up to 5 milligrams of calcium for every six ounces of regular coffee that you drink. As little as 300 to 400 mg of caffeine a day doubles the risk of hip fracture.

Low bone density increases chances for developing osteoporosis. Metabolic acidity contributes to demineralization of the bones. The high acidity of decaf coffee increases the risk for developing osteoporosis. It alters bone cell function, increasing osteoclastic bone resorption and decreasing osteoblastic bone formation. Avoiding regular and decaf coffee and including 3-4 servings of calcium rich foods a day can reduce the risk of developing osteoporosis.

Decaf coffee leads to increased incidence of rheumatoid arthritis
Decaffeinated coffee intake is independently and positively associated with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) onset. According to researchers from the American College of Rheumatology, older women who drink four or more cups of decaffeinated coffee a day are more than twice as likely to develop RA as regular coffee drinkers. Moreover, drinking more than 3 cups of tea per day is actually associated with decreased risk of developing RA.

Decaf coffee increases risk of glaucoma
Caffeine consumption may be harmful to people with glaucoma because it increases pressure within the eyeball. While caffeinated coffee more significantly increases intraocular pressure, decaffeinated coffee also causes a rise in levels of pressure within the eye. People at risk for developing glaucoma and those who already suffer from glaucoma should avoid anything that further increases intraocular pressure to avoid damaging their eyes.

Link to cancer and organ damage
The decaffeinated coffee is likely to contain the solvent methylene chloride that is used to remove caffeine from coffee. This process leaves small amounts of this chemical in the beans. Methylene chloride is a proven carcinogenic that is toxic to lungs, the nervous system, liver, mucous membranes, and central nervous system (CNS). Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage. Ethyl acetate is an alternate solvent used to extract caffeine. As this chemical is in low quantities found naturally in fruit, companies often market coffee decaffeinated using this process as naturally decaffeinated. However, this is a chemical with serious health consequences.

Kicking the decaf coffee habit
The health risks of decaffeinated coffee have been studied, with varying results. People most often switch from caffeinated to decaffeinated coffee due to a desire to improve their health. But for people with a number of existing health conditions, drinking decaffeinated coffee may not necessarily provide the desired health benefits. Current studies suggest that, for people who are sensitive to the effects of coffee, decaffeinated brews may still exacerbate their health problems. Therefore, the healthiest option may be to eliminate both regular and decaffeinated coffee from the diet.

Better not to have it at all :( than getting something that's not as good and gives you most of the bad stuff, anyway, OSIT.

I always like it when I search for a topic, then I find it is being talking about recently (a synchronicity) and I can add my comment :)

I'm drinking a cup of coffee right now. I have thought that caffeine might be good for some people similar to nicotine. the evidence here shows that is not the case. oh well i only have coffee once a week. I guess I'm lucky-- I'm not addicted but I do enjoy it every now and then.

I wonder how caffeine compares to theobromine. I have tons of that in dark chocolate.

Psyche, that article you quote is scary :scared:

makes me think about the heavily marketed and consumed energy drinks too.

Since my mid twenties I have not been able to have any form of caffeine. Caffeine has been the culprit of ovarian cysts that swell up with fluid and break during ovulation. Very painful. Did self testing for 3 months when I found out that this may be what was causing the cysts. Lo and behold it was.

I have been wondering about coffee enemas and would my body absorb caffeine through this process? If so, is there a substitute for this type of internal cleansing?

Bluestar said:
Since my mid twenties I have not been able to have any form of caffeine. Caffeine has been the culprit of ovarian cysts that swell up with fluid and break during ovulation. Very painful. Did self testing for 3 months when I found out that this may be what was causing the cysts. Lo and behold it was.

I have been wondering about coffee enemas and would my body absorb caffeine through this process? If so, is there a substitute for this type of internal cleansing?

Hi Bluestar,

I recall reading somewhere (although I can't remember exactly where and can't find it right now) about coffee enemas and allergy to caffeine. One person asked a similar question, and as I recall it, the answer was along the lines that the coffee is not absorbed and therefore there should be no reaction.

From http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/basicsofhealth/coffee_enemas.htm:

When used as a retention enema, coffee enemas do not go through the digestive system and do not affect the body as a coffee beverage does. Instead, the coffee solution stimulates both the liver and gallbladder to release toxins, which are then flushed from the body.

Remember to use organic coffe - otherwise you'll just add a whole bunch of toxins again :O

Thor said:
Hi Bluestar,

I recall reading somewhere (although I can't remember exactly where and can't find it right now) about coffee enemas and allergy to caffeine. One person asked a similar question, and as I recall it, the answer was along the lines that the coffee is not absorbed and therefore there should be no reaction.

Hi Thor,

I'm not completely sure of that. I recall having read on the forum that a few members felt jittery and anxious after having a coffee enema. I guess it depends on the concentration of coffee used and duration of the procedure. There is more information on the subject in this thread: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=17878.msg163274#msg163274

I suppose that if you're careful you won't have side effects, but still, it seems that the coffee can get absorbed. Maybe others will chime in with more information.

I'd also be interested to know about other cleansing methods, I've been wanting to start with enemas but because I'm very sensitive to coffee I have been postponing it.

Gertrudes said:
Thor said:
Hi Bluestar,

Hi Thor,

I'm not completely sure of that. I recall having read on the forum that a few members felt jittery and anxious after having a coffee enema. I guess it depends on the concentration of coffee used and duration of the procedure. There is more information on the subject in this thread: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=17878.msg163274#msg163274

I suppose that if you're careful you won't have side effects, but still, it seems that the coffee can get absorbed. Maybe others will chime in with more information.

I'd also be interested to know about other cleansing methods, I've been wanting to start with enemas but because I'm very sensitive to coffee I have been postponing it.

Hi Gertrudes,

It is funny to write to you, as I am currently reading the Ultra Simple Diet thread and have read many of your posts so I sort of feel like I "know" you :).

I recalled a reply by Psyche on coffee enemas and allergies and found the answer here:
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13241.msg135209#msg135209

There is also coffee enemas as a detoxing purpose, which helps to regularize the bowel movements. This is something that even Hiromi Shynia, from the Enzyme Factor recommended. He has examined the colons and stomachs of over 300,000 patients, so we figured he knew what he was talking about Wink The important thing is to retain it at least some 15 minutes and to not use a lot at a time, the coffee only has to stay in the lower part of your bowels in order to be absorbed and do its job. If it goes to upper parts of your bowel, it can wash away minerals and create an imbalance, thus it has to stay only in the lower parts where it doesn't do this. People allergic to coffee, can have coffee enemas as it is not the same metabolism. A search about coffee enemas will bring up lots of information, its better to research about it to know what to expect, also since there could be some troubleshooting. In my case, coffee enemas brought painful cramping which diminished when I diluted more the coffee and when I did a few of them which helped to clear up a toxic load in my liver. Now I do them with no side effects at all, only good effects, and it keeps my bowels moving regularly.

I strongly agree with you that one should be careful and adjust the protocol to one's own machine.

Actually, I will have my first ever (coffee) enema today and while I'm a bit nervous about it I hope it goes well. :/

Back
Top Bottom