Dairy Farm Worker Arrested on 12 Counts of Cruelty

Beau

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
This is an update of an article that was first reported here - http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ifztoqZce_892PkW9PkxIwnvTB9gD9FUPA000 - and which a lot of people on FB have been passing around, talking about boycotting Conklin Dairy Farms.

There is a video embedded in the article below which shows the acts of cruelty but I haven't had the stomach to watch it, just by reading the outline below of what is contained in the article I am disgusted. Click the link below if you feel inclined to watch the vid.

From http://www.mfablog.org/2010/05/update---dairy-farm-worker-arrested-on-12-counts-of-cruelty.html

Yesterday police arrested one of the dairy workers documented maliciously torturing animals at Conklin Dairy Farms in Plain City, Ohio by an undercover Mercy For Animals investigator. Billy Gregg, Jr., 25, was taken into custody by the Union County Sheriff's Department and charged with 12 counts of misdemeanor cruelty to animals.

MFA commends the City Prosecutor and law enforcement for their swift and decisive apprehension of Gregg, a violent individual who is extensively documented sadistically abusing newborn calves and cows.

Following the arrest, MFA conducted news conferences statewide and released the undercover footage of farm workers beating, stabbing, clubbing, and kicking cows and calves. Even the owner was caught on camera kicking a cow.

A media flurry erupted as the case crossed the nation on outlets such as CNN, ABC, FOX and the Los Angeles Times, and in scathing coverage on CBS affiliate WOIO in Cleveland. The case went on to receive worldwide coverage, including in the UK and Australia.

MFA's investigator documented Ohio dairy workers:

o Violently punching young calves in the face, body slamming them to the ground, and pulling and throwing them by their ears
o Routinely using pitchforks to stab cows in the face, legs, and stomach
o Kicking "downed" cows (those too injured to stand) in the face and neck
o Maliciously beating restrained cows in the face with crowbars
o Twisting cows' tails until the bones snapped

The deplorable conditions uncovered at Conklin Dairy Farms highlight the reality that animal agriculture is incapable of self-regulation and that meaningful federal and state laws must be implemented and strengthened to prevent egregious cruelty to farmed animals.

Compassionate consumers can end their direct financial support of farmed animal abuse by rejecting dairy, and other animal products, and adopting a vegan diet.

I managed to see only the calf being abused and the older cow that was punched by the psychopath and I am still an emotional wreck. To tell you the truth my mind went blank for a while and I lost my appetite completely as I saw the few seconds of the video during my lunch hour. I am so lost with words right now, even as I am typing this I am trying to find the right words, I am just numb and to tell you the truth, what I saw actually made me more acceptable of the fact that the approaching of the comets and the eventual destruction of some parts of this planet, is actually OK with me. Right now I am trying to get into the shoes of this absolutely beautiful planet that has undergone so much pain and misery every second of this illusory damn time, that the cycle of destruction that is awating us all, NEEDS to happen. The earth needs to shake its core, like a wet dog does after a swim in a lake infested with diseased creatures, in order to make this insanity stop, even for a short while, so that nature can start recovering in an environment that is not hostile/brutal/ugly/senseless/stupid. I am trying to find some meaning in this all right now, so forgive me for seeing only the ugliness, but right now the ugliness, the 50% of the negativity that makes up the universe, is just that, UGLY and CRUEL. In my eyes it looks like a coward who feeds on the most vulnerable.

I'll second that Mona
I just can't watch or read these things anymore.
Just reading the headings turns my stomach.

A few thoughts came to mind when I first saw this story.

First, we cannot make assumptions how widespread such abuse is. These could be limited (albeit horrific) to a few psychos acting out their fantasies. Since most countries have animal welfare and humane transport laws, we know society in general abhors animal cruelty.

The other thought is that the vegan movement was probably created by the PTB to create conflict and focus on animal cruelty as a distraction from human cruelty.

For every story of animal cruelty we might come across, how many stories of human cruelty are we missing?

Poor beasties. It's pretty heart wrenching nonetheless.

Gonzo

This video reminded me of Earthlings. Yes, difficult to watch and hard to imagine that in many places, humans are treated worse. :cry:

I don't understand the differentiation between animal & human as far as acts of cruelty & evil are concerned. . . . .why do we even have to mention something about humans suffering similar or worse abuse? There is no excuse for any life form being subjected to violence, surely?

And I do agree that a vegan way of life is the only sane option. I am always stunned at people who profess to love animals, while simultaneously serving up their corpses at meal times. I have never eaten flesh; I know some argue that we are harming plants as well by eating them, & of course we are. . but surely one must make a decison based on the least harm done.

Yes, difficult to watch and hard to imagine that in many places, humans are treated worse.

I think i have serious problems. I was going to post it yesterday but i just kept thinking on that insted.
Subject of animal cruelty is my Achilles heel. I never ever noticed that I could have reacted more emotional than on videos like this.
I do not react that strong even if I see vids with people suffering worse on them.
The problem is that I am super enraged instantly , enraged to the point , that if I could or had an opportunity I would do to the people who are THAT cruel 1000s things faaaar worse than they did.
I feel like I would have super pleasure torturing them for ages. I just cant stand it , it is unacceptable for me.
I was able to watch only 4-5 seconds of movie posted on yesterdays portion of RSS feeds and that was enough . Probably if I saw this live , I surely would have gone berserk and basically do something stupid to that person.
Now , I do realize this is serious problem , and some kind of disorder that i have , but I cant help it :/

So I was wondering how do you guys react on such things , and how do you deal with them ??

why do we even have to mention something about humans suffering similar or worse abuse? There is no excuse for any life form being subjected to violence, surely?

Thing is , that I know you are right , but if its about animals I feel completely opposite to what Vulcan said. I cant explain it , but thats how i feel.
And at this moment in time , It is an enormous difference for me between human cruelty and animal cruelty.
The only thing that comes to my mind is that people can think and (very often) avoid falling in such situations whereas animals don't even have that option and are helpless and defenseless.

Hi taitai --

taitai said:
And I do agree that a vegan way of life is the only sane option. I am always stunned at people who profess to love animals, while simultaneously serving up their corpses at meal times. I have never eaten flesh; I know some argue that we are harming plants as well by eating them, & of course we are. . but surely one must make a decison based on the least harm done.

I think that eating animals and senselessly abusing them are different issues, and it's important to at least recognize that. I understand where you are coming from, but it's a complicated issue. The fact is that we live in an STS environment where our options to avoid doing harm are rather limited -- we also evolved as carnivores, and I am not aware of any evidence that suggests that we can completely eliminate meat from our diet without suffering health repercussions. I know there are some people who eat meat according to an animacy hierarchy, however, where they consume fish but still exclude mammals from their diet. The following thread offers some food for thought (pun only intended after-the-fact):

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=16463.0

I was deeply saddened for those poor cows :cry:. Even Ra, if I remember correctly told us that the cows were tried of living on this plant. I also believe that the farm worker should of been charged far more then what he has been sentenced to.

I won't watch the video but I remember a few other acts of barbary against animals such as these ones.

The whole mass dairy, meat and poultry industry is a sick business which seems to attract quite a few psychopaths.
You can't be "normal" and do such things, that guy in the article for example must also be like that outside his job.
Whom did he hurt and how...

Hi again, yes I do understand there is perhaps a different ethos involved in killing for food & killing for pleasure. But to the Being being killed, does it make any difference, I wonder?

Drygol, you seem to identify more with animals - in a way,I do, too - as they cannot speak for themselves.

But when I hear of any cruelty to any being, I feel sickness in the pit of my stomach & a sense of the most weighty sadness. I did not watch the video either, reading about it was bad enough. I have a theory that even watching something like this is a form of passive participation; the attention given to any act seems to "feed" it, & yet we need to know these things are happening in order to stop them. . . . what to do.

taitai said:
Hi again, yes I do understand there is perhaps a different ethos involved in killing for food & killing for pleasure. But to the Being being killed, does it make any difference, I wonder?

I think that there is a sharp difference between humane killing and sadistic killing, in terms of the experience of the victim and the emotional "loosh" that it generates. Killing for food can be sadistic, of course, just like killing for sport, but it doesn't have to be -- that's where I think someone like Temple Grandin actually tried to make an important difference.

taitai said:
I have a theory that even watching something like this is a form of passive participation; the attention given to any act seems to "feed" it, & yet we need to know these things are happening in order to stop them. . . . what to do.

If I understand you correctly, that may be straying into the "love and light" area a bit too closely. In order to protect ourselves and make progress along our path, we have to gain knowledge, and we can't do that if we ignore things which are negative or distasteful -- there wouldn't be much of a place for SOTT if that were the case. However, there is a parallel here with the first topic above -- I think that you can watch something like this apathetically, and in that apathy you fuel the system of which it is a part; or, you can watch it attentively, acknowledging the horror which it evokes in you as a person of conscience, and be consciously and actively opposed to the violence you witness.

I really do not have the stomach to watch the video. Even just reading the outline of the article already makes me sick... :cry:

At the very least, people around Ohio and in the industry are not accepting this outrageous behaviour and authorities are taking action on this criminals! Unlike the the annual killing of dolphins in a National Park at Taiji, Wakayama, in Japan (the movie The Cove) where society readily accepts cruelty and does not think anything of it! :mad:

But when I hear of any cruelty to any being, I feel sickness in the pit of my stomach & a sense of the most weighty sadness. I did not watch the video either, reading about it was bad enough.

I did watch 4-5 seconds and then turned this sickness off. The reason I turned it off is that because I kinda had this red alarming light in my head.
I am so emotional while watching such things that I feel like I am about to explode. I think that if I wouldn't do it , I would either destroy something or hurt someone. It is like that red blanket in front of your eyes . Hard to describe thou. At least i am happy that this "halt alarm" is still working.

If I understand you correctly, that may be straying into the "love and light" area a bit too closely. In order to protect ourselves and make progress along our path, we have to gain knowledge, and we can't do that if we ignore things which are negative or distasteful -- there wouldn't be much of a place for SOTT if that were the case. However, there is a parallel here with the first topic above -- I think that you can watch something like this apathetically, and in that apathy you fuel the system of which it is a part; or, you can watch it attentively, acknowledging the horror which it evokes in you as a person of conscience, and be consciously and actively opposed to the violence you witness.

I completely agree with you , but i am not feeling strong enough yet to watch it without possible dangerous repercusions.

taitai said:

I used to be a vegetarian and then became a carnivore again. I used to think the same as you do. My current understanding is that everyone should take care to appreciate and honor the life given up by the being we are consuming - whatever form it is in.

The disrespect and lack of concern people like these farmers (and at times all of us by extension) show towards spirit (God, DCM) is what is saddening to me. His irreverence to something he perceives as weaker than him must translate to his relationship with himself, his family and the world at large.

While I wasn't able to watch the entire video, the true horror for me lies in the killing of the soul. For those animals (and and every living being) this starts from birth/incarnation. To live a life where your ability to realize your full potential is thwarted at every turn, that is beyond words.

Back
Top Bottom