Ultra Simple Diet

No bothers! ;) Here are my 2 cents. Perhaps other skinny members will have other useful suggestions.

Have more rations of the what is indicated in the diet, but on average, on the same ratio, that is, make sure to have enough protein, healthy carbs (i.e. vegetables and some fruit, whole rice) and healthy fats. Although if you're doing an anti-candida diet, you'll have to limit your fruit intake, the whole rice and starchy foods. If you are not allergic to nuts, you can snack on them.

You might not gain weight, but at least you won't loose weight, what is important is that you eat healthy to help your body heal itself.

About healthy fats...

Unlike omega 6s, saturated fats are complete in their molecular structure and this density gives saturated fats their stability (they don't get rancid that easily). As a reminder, studies generally have shown no association between the consumption of saturated fat and the risk of coronary ("heart") death. The "cholesterol myth" had made us believe that fats are evil, when it is actually the fats that they introduced as a "healthier option" the ones that are super evil: margarine and vegetable oils which are high in unhealthy omega 6s.

You can safely cook with saturated fat because it "holds up" at high heats, unlike vegetable oils.

For example, after a couple of weeks in the Ultra simple diet, you can re-introduce butter and if you tolerate it, you can add butter to your spinach or other veggies. The fat will help you to absorb the vitamins in the spinach. Butter has plenty of vitamins, minerals and amino acids, other than the fat. One of butter's fats is "butyrate", which is a fatty acid that serves as a base for making GABA (gamma amino butyric acid), a calming brain chemical. If you can't tolerate butter, have ghee butter, which might be even better.

Coconut milk is another option (if you tolerate it), it is a saturated fat. Coconut fat is antiviral and antifungal and it is a bit more stable and saturated.

Another possibility is bacon fat, if you tolerate it.

Olive oil is mainly omega 9, which is also consider stable, it has a little saturated fat and almost no omega 6s. Omega 9s are considered very supportive of the super healthy omega 3s.

Eating healthy fat doesn't necessarily equals gaining weight... In my case, it has stabilized my weight and it keeps me satisfied, like I actually ate something. That doesn't happen when I eat quinoa, where I feel like I ate "air", I prefer whole rice, which is more satisfying for my tummy.

Oh, remember to have your omega 3 supplements as well, that will make your healthy fats complete.

herondancer said:
gaman said:
My wife and I both started the diet today but ran into a bump. To both of us the shakes are really bad (have bad undertones of taste, and consistency) and we pretty much both gagged trying to drink our first one. Everything else has been fine.

I'm going to try blending longer, etc. but has anyone found an alternative to the shakes? For reference, our shakes were made with rice powder, flax seed, borage oil, water, banana, strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries.

Maybe try it without the borage oil for now? It's pretty strong as I understand it. Everything else on the list is a natural sweet which should make the shake easy to swallow. Do you need to make it more "runny"? My first shakes were like sludge :cry:. bleah! I believe so long as the supplements are in there, you can play with the amount of liquid. Maybe the flax oil is too strong-tasting also. There are varieties that are milder in flavour just like olive oils. I tried to add oregano oil to my shake (for candida) and couldn't handle the taste. I started with way too much. After being on it for a while now, I plan to try again, but only one or two drops!

What was your reason for adding borage oil to the shake?

Herondancer
I used the borage oil (Barleans, Lignan Omega Twin Flax / Borage Combo) because that was the recipe in the book, unless I misread. I experimented some this morning by adding a few more strawberries and blending the shake a lot longer. I was able to tolerate it but it wasn't pleasant. Some of it is the consistency and some is the taste. I'm encouraged by the result but my wife couldn't stomach it at all.

I wasn't aware that I could leave out the oil or try substitutes. I will look into that more. Thanks!

Gaman said:
I wasn't aware that I could leave out the oil or try substitutes. I will look into that more. Thanks!

Hi Gaman

In the second post of this thread, Laura wrote:

We don't bother with the borage oil, and we get the flax oil from a place that supplies it for cattle (horses in particular). It's a lot cheaper and the only difference seems to be that it is not so refined to remove the strong taste. That's okay. We put it in our shakes and the berries and other things mask it.

T.C. said:
Gaman said:

Hi Gaman

In the second post of this thread, Laura wrote:

We don't bother with the borage oil, and we get the flax oil from a place that supplies it for cattle (horses in particular). It's a lot cheaper and the only difference seems to be that it is not so refined to remove the strong taste. That's okay. We put it in our shakes and the berries and other things mask it.

Thanks T.C. We managed to make it more palatable by using all frozen berries, and adding more ice in addition to a little more fruit. It seemed to help cut down on that foamy texture and it helps that it is really cold.

gaman said:
Thanks T.C. We managed to make it more palatable by using all frozen berries, and adding more ice in addition to a little more fruit. It seemed to help cut down on that foamy texture and it helps that it is really cold.

For those that like cinnamon (I am a big fan), I add a good 1/8 teaspoon or so to my shakes. It adds something to it that helps conceal that other flavor of the rice powder - almost a sweetness. And, of course, it has wonderful benefits:.

Studies have shown that just 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per day can lower LDL cholesterol.

Several studies suggest that cinnamon may have a regulatory effect on blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes.

In some studies, cinnamon has shown an amazing ability to stop medication-resistant yeast infections.

In a study published by researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Maryland, cinnamon reduced the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells.

It has an anti-clotting effect on the blood.

In a study at Copenhagen University, patients given half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder combined with one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast had significant relief in arthritis pain after one week and could walk without pain within one month.

When added to food, it inhibits bacterial growth and food spoilage, making it a natural food preservative.

One study found that smelling cinnamon boosts cognitive function and memory.

Researchers at Kansas State University found that cinnamon fights the E. coli bacteria in unpasteurized juices.

It is a great source of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium.

gaman said:
We managed to make it more palatable by using all frozen berries, and adding more ice in addition to a little more fruit. It seemed to help cut down on that foamy texture and it helps that it is really cold.

Yeah, I couldn't handle it with lukewarm berries either. I like to use them right out of the freezer, makes it much easier to take down.

Obviously, this shake that is designed to be totally healthy, is NOT going to taste like ice-cream which is, effectively, a poison to the system.

It's funny when you start thinking about toxic food and comparing it to toxic humans and warm fuzzy lies... they all have a lot in common, don't they? Psychopaths make you believe in their lies initially by making you feel so special and important (See: "Women Who Love Psychopaths"). There is a "courting stage" so to say, that makes you addicted to the psychopath so that you can't get away when they start abusing you.

Well, toxic food and toxic ideas are like that too. Toxic ideas make you feel warm and fuzzy and toxic food just TASTES SO GOOD!

Scientists labor long and hard in their laboratories, testing and perfecting taste, texture, etc, so that they can create these elements and join them to foods that are devoid of nutrition or worse, totally toxic.

Consider margarine - it's a substance that is one chemical step away from being a plastic. Hydrogenated vegetable oil is in almost all prepared foods... and the basis of that great texture that we all know and love.

Consider MSG - an excitotoxin. It literally lights up your brain with pleasure, and drives the neurons to exhaustion and cell death.

Eating healthy food is not ALL unpleasant, of course. Fresh beets from the garden, steamed and with a little ghee on them can be absolutely divine. Same with fresh spinach, chard, broccoli, brussel sprouts, etc. (And I always use salt because salt can enhance the taste).

I don't know why things that are sweetened with sugar or honey are, in general, not good for a person except in small quantities, but that's the way it actually is. It's as though food qualities are a reflection of life at other levels.

When one is past the anti-candida stage and can have a bit of sweet, then there is nothing better than buckwheat pancakes with maple syrup and maybe some all-fruit blueberry jelly sandwiched between. But if I have this, it produces inflammation, so I know that sweetness is, in general, not what the body really needs, though it sure does light up some of those brain chemical binding sites in the gut and brain!

Getting back to the shakes: while we use many things we read as guidelines, we also take the time to read up on many aspects of diet and health and take the quizzes so that we can best know what is right for each of us individually. Everybody is different, there is no one size fits all diet!

Some things take a bit of getting used to.

If you think the shakes are nasty making them according to the Ultra-Simple plan, then you haven't tried them with certain extremely nasty amino acids... or a big dose of ascorbic acid! And sometimes, it is necessary to have a way to get that stuff down efficiently. Some of the folks here prefer to put all the nasty stuff in a cup and take it neat with a bit of water so that it doesn't spoil their shake! It's that bad! I prefer to put it in the shake and find some way to mask it, even using some D-ribose for sweetening.

In the end, for me, following a detox diet and getting good nutrition is kind of like "doing The Work" on the body level. Healthy eating and detoxing is like objective reality - is tough to face, but once you get used to it, it's tolerable and you CAN have a buckwheat pancake with maple syrup ONCE in a while!

Strange, but I think my shake actually tastes rather good :cool2: (though that's not exactly the same version as Laura gave). So I don't mind at all taking it, with raspberries or bananas or peaches.
Thanks 1984 for the info on cinnamon, I'll give it a try.

Carcosa said:
Strange, but I think my shake actually tastes rather good :cool2: (though that's not exactly the same version as Laura gave). So I don't mind at all taking it, with raspberries or bananas or peaches.
Thanks 1984 for the info on cinnamon, I'll give it a try.

I was just thinking the same thing! However, my shakes are pretty simple - rice protein powder, spirulina, vitamin C powder, frozen blueberries, raspberries, sometimes blackberries and sometimes cherries, with enough unsweetened hemp milk to make is 'shakey' and a splash of organic black cherry juice. I take the flax seed oil in capsules, as well as the other supplements I take daily. I actually wake up looking forward to my shake! The spirulina just makes me feel SO good. I think I'm going to try that cinnamon idea too, because I love cinnamon - just not sure how it will go with the fruit - but since I happen to be eating my shake right now, I'll add a little and see! :)

Just one note on the cinnamon, fwiw. It's on D'Adamo's spices to avoid for types O and B which is a bummer for me since I love cinnamon :(

anart said:
I was just thinking the same thing! However, my shakes are pretty simple - rice protein powder, spirulina, vitamin C powder, frozen blueberries, raspberries, sometimes blackberries and sometimes cherries, with enough unsweetened hemp milk to make is 'shakey' and a splash of organic black cherry juice.

Sounds yummy to me :thup:

I take the flax seed oil in capsules, as well as the other supplements I take daily. I actually wake up looking forward to my shake!

Me too :P

Thanks for the advice and comments. I'm actually getting used to the shake. We have some spirulina and and chlorella powder that I haven't tried in the shake yet -- gotta settle in at the basic level first :)

My wife is cooking some of the recipes (I'm the food slicer/chopper etc. hehe) and I think they are very good if I eat several things together. There are some things that aren't particularly appetizing to me individually (broccoli and brown rice, boiled asparagus) but that are quite good mixed together in the same mouthful along with a little chicken.

We also had some wild salmon last night but my fears of mercury (which is seemingly in pretty much all fish that are good on the diet) are influencing me to focus on chicken as the meat. I take 6 caps of Mercola's krill oil a day to make up for it.

She just cooked some slice up sweet potatoes and beets using the broccoli and carrots recipe spices from the downloadable book supplement and they are really good so I'm going to have a little of that along with the veggies I don't currently like.

We have the Ultramind, Ultrametabolism, and UltraSimple diet books (went a little "Ultra" crazy a while back after seeing Dr. Hyman's show on PBS) so I hope to get in enough time soon to read the Ultramind book and take the tests.

All in all, I'm very excited about detoxing (we also have the sauna) because in addition to being obese and mostly sedentary, I have had some pretty severe brain symptoms (super fog, no memory, can't focus, etc.) that certainly weren't helped by docs highly dosing me up on brain meds to try to address what has so far turned out to be bad sleep apnea.

I've been on some better supplements for a while now after doing lots of research, but with only about 4 days into the Diet I'm already starting to feel amazingly better. Next I've got to get my tail end out and do some walking and excercising :)

Okay, well I just must be really weird. :D

After doing the candida diet seriously for several months, I find that brussel sprouts and carrots and broccoli are especially sweet now. I am at the point that I don't really have cravings now. I do use stevia in my shakes. I am allergic to flax seed so can't take that but take fish oil capsules. I am looking for frozen peaches, I can have those according to the Genome diet, but no bananas or pears. That's why I'm using the stevia.

I find that walking down the candy aisle in the store now makes me nauseated. :shock: :cool: Because of this I am determined to stay as closely on the various dietary changes as I can. I have never been one that wants gourmet dishes and have basically only eaten to fill me up - except when I had the sweet tooth. I did look for sweet things all of the time. I am very happy that that is done with.

So thank you all that have contributed to all of these diet plans. They have been very beneficial for me. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom