Young tennis player assaulted by her coach in public - she is 14 and he is apparently her FATHER.

Abuse is often couched in "cultural" rationalizations, like female "circumcision" brought to the west by African tribes. Abuse and mutilation. A co-worker years ago told me how her mother used to stand behind her when she was practicing piano and when she made a mistake she wacked her on the back of her head. It all makes me more than nauseous, having lived through a lot of similar things so I have a visceral take on it. That poor girl! The bystanders doing nothing pretty much conforms to was my childhood experience. But then, everything I lived through has contributed to who I am today and I am grateful. Took many years for me to come to this place. So hard to watch though!

Warning - Disturbing Footage

I just saw this story on TV news.

The rage I felt watching this was intense, 🤬 every part of my body tense, coiled like a spring, willing her to fight back or at least scream for help, but I realised I was observing behaviour related to 'Pavlovs dogs'. It was sickening to watch.

I cannot believe these people filming did not intervene sooner - but finally they did something.

If this psycho assaults and abuses her like this in public, I can only imagine what goes on behind closed doors;
and how much worse things will be for this young girl once he has contact with her again. 🥺

"The tennis world has been left horrified after a video circulated of a young tennis player being brutally assaulted after a practice session in Serbia. [the girl is not Serbian]

The graphic video shows a 14-year-old player being kicked and slapped by a male, who is believed to be her father, before being thrown to the ground and kicked repeatedly.

The video was posted by anti-violence advocate Igor Juric, who believed the horrific incident was a result of a poor training session.

“Another brutal (act of) violence from a father against his daughter. I was informed that this is a family coming from China. We will be filing criminal charges against this monster as well,” he wrote above the video.

“I can say that I am mildly shocked, regardless of the many terrible things we have seen, this has left the strongest impression so far,” Juric said, via Sportskeeda.

“The reason for this violent behavior was allegedly that one of the coaches, who was working with her at that moment, said that she did not put in enough effort and that she did not want to move, ie, to do what was asked of her. Allegedly, this was the reason for this crude and brutal violence that happened.”

Juric said he was aware of the pair’s identities and would file a criminal complaint, adding: “These are Chinese citizens, but I can’t tell you how many others live in Serbia. What I know is that the abusive father does not speak the Serbian language.”

The Ministry of Internal Affairs in Belgrade confirmed that officers from Palilula police station identified and arrested a Chinese national believed to be the man in the video."
I'll be honest - I was expecting worse when I clicked play but this is not to excuse the behaviour. A lot of kids around the world get that treatment from their parents or teachers. It's uncommon in the West because the pressure to succeed is less but in countries or cultures where poverty is (or was) common place, kids end up bearing a lot of pressure to succeed and break the poverty barrier (or at least they used to!). Pain, fear and violence is used as a key motivator and driver. Again, not saying it's right but also not acting as if what is shown on the video is a rare event. It's shocking he's dishing that out to a girl though - it's usually boys who get the physical treatment.

I'll be honest - I was expecting worse when I clicked play but this is not to excuse the behaviour. A lot of kids around the world get that treatment from their parents or teachers. It's uncommon in the West because the pressure to succeed is less but in countries or cultures where poverty is (or was) common place, kids end up bearing a lot of pressure to succeed and break the poverty barrier (or at least they used to!). Pain, fear and violence is used as a key motivator and driver. Again, not saying it's right but also not acting as if what is shown on the video is a rare event. It's shocking he's dishing that out to a girl though - it's usually boys who get the physical treatment.

I just felt to offer that warning out of respect for those who have considerable sensitivity / might feel upset.
I figured the title was also a warning and gave clarity about the dynamics.

Personally, I found it distressing to watch - and also to see the lack of active response from witnesses.

For years I have also been noticing that there seems to be such a massive level of 'desensitising' happening within society with regards to violence (well, actually everything!!). I see such a blasé attitude being adopted by so many, and I personally struggle with this on many levels. Perhaps this is in part a 'coping mechanism' for many people, but also I feel part of it is also because so much of what we interface with is via media, through a screen... and we are absolutely bombarded with it. I notice there is considerable detachment for many, as if people are watching a movie, not witnessing something real because it is not in front of them and they are not exposed to it on such a sensory/energetic/tactile level.

I know footage like this assault is reflective of things that happen every day all over the world (and SO SO SO much worse) and these things have always have happened. I also know that when it comes to raising children, being a parent is incredibly hard at times - and we all inflict damage upon our children in some form - whether we do this with some form of awareness or conscious intention / or whether it is mostly unconscious. Still, I think many souled beings with an ounce of empathy would struggle with this footage on some level.

Aspects of the behaviour this young girl displayed while he was verbally abusing and assaulting her were clearly instinctive, non confrontational, she appeared to be almost frozen, trying not to make things worse; I would guess she adopts this behaviour regularly in order to protect herself as much as possible. This young girl has had to live with this man long term, and has been conditioned on many levels to find ways to cope with and 'tolerate' however she is treated. I think everything we have seen in terms of her response is indicative of long term abuse. She would be well aware that she is trapped in that reality until she can obtain some kind of liberation from this oppressive, toxic control and deeply destructive (likely long term) abuse, and she is just trying to survive and endure this - it would appear that she does not feel she can just 'leave' or speak for herself. She also potentially has other family members she has deep emotional bonds with (mother, siblings), and for many reasons, this too, likely directly affects the way she interacts with this 'authority' who is compelling her to 'do better'.

This man treats her as if she is his 'property', his 'asset'; one that he has invested time, money and energy into, clearly with an intention to achieve a particular objective. His anger and frustration that she was not 'performing' like a 'well trained dog' - indicate he perceives he has the 'right' to behave this way. He freely uses excuses regarding 'cultural differences' to justify his behaviour and protect himself.

Perhaps he truly believes that his 'guidance' and 'encouragement' is for 'her own good'; possibly the pressure he is placing on her is more deeply connected to not only his own stature, but also 'the wellbeing of the family' financially long term / recognition... but personally, I do not see his actions genuinely coming from a place of love or concern for her welfare (or others), no matter what he believes his justification is.

I am aware that this man may well have had a very abusive / challenging childhood himself and he is acting this way out of years of his own conditioning. Perhaps he perceives that this made him stronger and more focused, maybe he believes that he is instilling 'discipline, values and strengths' in his daughter, but he clearly does not have the capacity to do this appropriately or to even see that there are other positive ways to support someone to achieve their own goals and personal levels of 'excellence' (and I doubt they are her own personal goals to be honest). I wonder if this man has ever considered that perhaps she never wanted to play tennis at this level (or professionally/long term) that perhaps her gifts and potential are numerous and lie elsewhere? It appears he is only interested in his own ego driven objectives. To beat and hound a soul into submission on every level imaginable in order to have them do your bidding is not love for others. It is purely STS 'love' for yourself and your own agenda.

For those who believe this material to be 'staged' propaganda, in the audio I could hear the sounds of the impact of blows to her head, saw the shock that registered through her body language; I think it was real and genuinely distressing for her. I do not think it was 'staged' at all. I am honestly astonished that anyone can suggest that. This young woman is an exceptional young actress if that is the case. Added to this, the frequency of the voices of the people filming suggest genuine concern. Clearly the police thought it was serious enough to arrest him. I fully appreciate that there are many false reports that circulate for many reasons and that serve particular agendas, but I do not feel this is one of them.

I think the instincts of this young girl were not to fight back for a variety of reasons, perhaps partly related to fear but also not wanting to show 'disrespect' to her father, especially in public, as from the Chinese cultural viewpoint this would bring discredit and dishonour, (the irony of that, given his behaviour!) but on a deeper level I suggest she has experienced some major physical and psychological abuse to 'tolerate' this in the way she did, and I would also suggest that even in private she has learned not to challenge him. It seems evident to me this was not the first time this has happened to her. I suspect she has been trapped in, and conditioned to, that dynamic for a long time, and in truth the reality is probably a lot worse when nobody else is around. His actions were calculated and 'measured' and suggested an air of arrogance, but I also had the distinct sense that he was aware that people were watching, so I think he was consciously 'restrained' in his displeasure, given there were people around. I would also suggest this has occurred in public before, but people have just turned a 'blind eye'. Clearly he doesn't wish to be publicly humiliated (daughter not performing to his satisfaction), but has absolutely no problem inflicting this on someone young, vulnerable and defenseless in order to impose his so called 'authority'.

Ideally, a parent is someone who protects, nurtures and cares for their child, who encourages them to explore the world with awareness, navigate their way into adulthood, develop their gifts and strengths, who supports them to grow and flourish. We clearly do not live in an 'ideal' world, we also see that no parent is 'perfect', and we know 'all there is, is lessons'... but so often those lessons are incredibly painful and deeply damaging to the point that the soul is so deeply traumatised, they are unable to find or even conceive of a reality beyond their painful, destructive experiences. No matter the outcome of this whole situation, this young girl has a terribly difficult time ahead of her as she tries to cope with all she has endured and will continue to, as she moves through life. It is highly possible she will replay/attract this dynamic in future relationships continually experiencing toxic, hyper controlling, physically / psychologically abusive partners and situations (employment etc), because of the damage / conditioning already imposed upon her. I hope eventually she will get authentic transformative support to deal with the trauma of all she has experienced, and discover a new way of being... and come to know that not every man is like her father.

I just felt to offer that warning out of respect for those who have considerable sensitivity / might feel upset.
I figured the title was also a warning and gave clarity about the dynamics.

Personally, I found it distressing to watch - and also to see the lack of active response from witnesses.

For years I have also been noticing that there seems to be such a massive level of 'desensitising' happening within society with regards to violence (well, actually everything!!). I see such a blasé attitude being adopted by so many, and I personally struggle with this on many levels. Perhaps this is in part a 'coping mechanism' for many people, but also I feel part of it is also because so much of what we interface with is via media, through a screen... and we are absolutely bombarded with it. I notice there is considerable detachment for many, as if people are watching a movie, not witnessing something real because it is not in front of them and they are not exposed to it on such a sensory/energetic/tactile level.

I know footage like this assault is reflective of things that happen every day all over the world (and SO SO SO much worse) and these things have always have happened. I also know that when it comes to raising children, being a parent is incredibly hard at times - and we all inflict damage upon our children in some form - whether we do this with some form of awareness or conscious intention / or whether it is mostly unconscious. Still, I think many souled beings with an ounce of empathy would struggle with this footage on some level.

Aspects of the behaviour this young girl displayed while he was verbally abusing and assaulting her were clearly instinctive, non confrontational, she appeared to be almost frozen, trying not to make things worse; I would guess she adopts this behaviour regularly in order to protect herself as much as possible. This young girl has had to live with this man long term, and has been conditioned on many levels to find ways to cope with and 'tolerate' however she is treated. I think everything we have seen in terms of her response is indicative of long term abuse. She would be well aware that she is trapped in that reality until she can obtain some kind of liberation from this oppressive, toxic control and deeply destructive (likely long term) abuse, and she is just trying to survive and endure this - it would appear that she does not feel she can just 'leave' or speak for herself. She also potentially has other family members she has deep emotional bonds with (mother, siblings), and for many reasons, this too, likely directly affects the way she interacts with this 'authority' who is compelling her to 'do better'.

This man treats her as if she is his 'property', his 'asset'; one that he has invested time, money and energy into, clearly with an intention to achieve a particular objective. His anger and frustration that she was not 'performing' like a 'well trained dog' - indicate he perceives he has the 'right' to behave this way. He freely uses excuses regarding 'cultural differences' to justify his behaviour and protect himself.

Perhaps he truly believes that his 'guidance' and 'encouragement' is for 'her own good'; possibly the pressure he is placing on her is more deeply connected to not only his own stature, but also 'the wellbeing of the family' financially long term / recognition... but personally, I do not see his actions genuinely coming from a place of love or concern for her welfare (or others), no matter what he believes his justification is.

I am aware that this man may well have had a very abusive / challenging childhood himself and he is acting this way out of years of his own conditioning. Perhaps he perceives that this made him stronger and more focused, maybe he believes that he is instilling 'discipline, values and strengths' in his daughter, but he clearly does not have the capacity to do this appropriately or to even see that there are other positive ways to support someone to achieve their own goals and personal levels of 'excellence' (and I doubt they are her own personal goals to be honest). I wonder if this man has ever considered that perhaps she never wanted to play tennis at this level (or professionally/long term) that perhaps her gifts and potential are numerous and lie elsewhere? It appears he is only interested in his own ego driven objectives. To beat and hound a soul into submission on every level imaginable in order to have them do your bidding is not love for others. It is purely STS 'love' for yourself and your own agenda.

For those who believe this material to be 'staged' propaganda, in the audio I could hear the sounds of the impact of blows to her head, saw the shock that registered through her body language; I think it was real and genuinely distressing for her. I do not think it was 'staged' at all. I am honestly astonished that anyone can suggest that. This young woman is an exceptional young actress if that is the case. Added to this, the frequency of the voices of the people filming suggest genuine concern. Clearly the police thought it was serious enough to arrest him. I fully appreciate that there are many false reports that circulate for many reasons and that serve particular agendas, but I do not feel this is one of them.

I think the instincts of this young girl were not to fight back for a variety of reasons, perhaps partly related to fear but also not wanting to show 'disrespect' to her father, especially in public, as from the Chinese cultural viewpoint this would bring discredit and dishonour, (the irony of that, given his behaviour!) but on a deeper level I suggest she has experienced some major physical and psychological abuse to 'tolerate' this in the way she did, and I would also suggest that even in private she has learned not to challenge him. It seems evident to me this was not the first time this has happened to her. I suspect she has been trapped in, and conditioned to, that dynamic for a long time, and in truth the reality is probably a lot worse when nobody else is around. His actions were calculated and 'measured' and suggested an air of arrogance, but I also had the distinct sense that he was aware that people were watching, so I think he was consciously 'restrained' in his displeasure, given there were people around. I would also suggest this has occurred in public before, but people have just turned a 'blind eye'. Clearly he doesn't wish to be publicly humiliated (daughter not performing to his satisfaction), but has absolutely no problem inflicting this on someone young, vulnerable and defenseless in order to impose his so called 'authority'.

Ideally, a parent is someone who protects, nurtures and cares for their child, who encourages them to explore the world with awareness, navigate their way into adulthood, develop their gifts and strengths, who supports them to grow and flourish. We clearly do not live in an 'ideal' world, we also see that no parent is 'perfect', and we know 'all there is, is lessons'... but so often those lessons are incredibly painful and deeply damaging to the point that the soul is so deeply traumatised, they are unable to find or even conceive of a reality beyond their painful, destructive experiences. No matter the outcome of this whole situation, this young girl has a terribly difficult time ahead of her as she tries to cope with all she has endured and will continue to, as she moves through life. It is highly possible she will replay/attract this dynamic in future relationships continually experiencing toxic, hyper controlling, physically / psychologically abusive partners and situations (employment etc), because of the damage / conditioning already imposed upon her. I hope eventually she will get authentic transformative support to deal with the trauma of all she has experienced, and discover a new way of being... and come to know that not every man is like her father.
I made myself watch it again...I will never be desensitized to violence...I cover my eyes and ears if it is in media....Although I have been able to take action to protect when I've seen it in real life and others are being hurt...it's instinctual....this goes for myself, too....Protect my body, run if you can...and I've taken more aggressive action when I had the chance...then I ran.

In the posted video, what I did not see was the girl taking defensive action, like covering her head after the 1st time he hit her there...nor did she roll up in a ball when he kicked her. She did not put her arms out in defense, either.....I find all that strange....

It's sickening that that could be acceptable behaviour in any culture.
I agree,

I mean cultural differences are one thing, in South America it is part of the culture for parents to beat their kids, I got several whoppings myself growing up. But there's a difference in the intent I believe, one of them aims at correcting the way they were corrected, the one seen in the video however, it seems more intent on humiliating than anything else.

Not denying that it could be a piece of propaganda, which fair enough, that's one thing to consider, but regardless.. a parent, or an adult coach, doing that to a young girl is terrible.

In the posted video, what I did not see was the girl taking defensive action, like covering her head after the 1st time he hit her there...nor did she roll up in a ball when he kicked her. She did not put her arms out in defense, either.....I find all that strange....

Responses to Trauma

The link above gives a breakdown of responses to trauma...
these are the ones I felt related most to the behaviour observed:

FREEZE​

The freeze response leaves us temporarily paralyzed by fear and unable to move. In this response, rather than fighting off the danger or running away from it, we do nothing; the perceived threat causes a hypotonic or immobile reaction. Someone in a freeze response may experience numbness or a sense of dread.

FLOP​

In a flop trauma response, we become entirely physically or mentally unresponsive and may even faint. Fainting in response to being paralyzed by fear is caused when someone gets so overwhelmed by the stress that they physically collapse.

You may see animals “play dead” or faint when approached by a dangerous predator — fighting or running away would only instigate the predator more. Tonic immobility may enhance survival and is therefore adaptive when there is no perceived possibility of escaping or winning a fight. One example of the flop response is fainting in the presence of blood or an injection.

That is indeed disturbing to watch! No matter which country this come from, and which culture accepts this behavior or not, it pulls at the heart. My concern is the daughter, if indeed she is his daughter. She made no attempt to defend herself! She simply let him do his worst as if she knew it was coming. That is what sickens me the most: the child has been abused before and expect this behavior to keep coming toward her in any of her failures! Good grief, where is the humanity in all this?
It is true, it is always tricky with these type of things. Here Individual, his/her internal temperament, family temperament, temperament of society of origin, location of the incident, social "media" mechanics (controlled or uncontrolled) comes into picture. All has its own place for immediate result and long term results. At the end, what effect it has on the victim is the important question. We all feel for the child.

When we were small we were given punishment when we did mischief - often cane on hand , hand slap on bums , sitting on the chair position with wall support and so on in the privacy of 4 walls of class. Did it hurt us or not depends on the individual, temperament and stage of development. I have known friends who got the beating from the teacher and appreciated it after decades because it helped them to motivate them selves to be in self control.

It is true that Kicking falls under completely different category in front of unwitting world and political forces of media takes it to its own direction. It's a big lesson for the parent and let's hope that it will not create the long term scar on the child. I mean scar from the beating, beating in public, family shame and reactions that comes with it.

Here is the book and an opinion on it.
Chua also rarely refrained from criticizing her daughters, and in one of the many provocative passages that fill her book, she explains:
Chinese parents can do things that would seem unimaginable -- even legally actionable -- to Westerners. Chinese mothers can say to their daughters, "Hey fatty -- lose some weight." By contrast, Western parents have to tiptoe around the issue, talking in terms of "health" and never ever mentioning the f-word, and their kids still end up in therapy for eating disorders and negative self-image. ... Western parents are concerned about their children's psyches. Chinese parents aren't. They assume strength, not fragility, and as a result they behave very differently.

As Chua admits, though, the Chinese model doesn't dwell on happiness, nor does it deal well with failure. (Some of the most hilarious parts of her memoir deal with her attempts to apply Chinese parenting methods to the family's two dopey Samoyed puppies.)

Recently, there is lot of outrage on the Uki-Nazi's tying its rebel citizens to the tree with plasic wrap and beating them on the bums. Later, I heard from a Russian that it is normal punishment in the soviet culture. At least that exposure helped to wake up the western people what is happening in Ukraine and gave attention to the Banderites madness in Mariupol against the western propaganda.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom