wrench in the headlight

Caustic

The Force is Strong With This One
I had a motorcycle which I used a 8mm hex wrench to adjust the chain every month. One day I noticed it was gone from my tool kit locked in the tail of the motorcycle. After a long search I still could not find it. I assumed that I had left it on the swing arm of the motorcycle and it fell off on the road somewhere and it was gone forever.

My chain progressively went out of adjustment to the point where it was damaging the sprockets and the bike was unsafe to ride. I was volunteering for the USGS at the time at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory and had a long commute every day. So one day I am leaving the HVO offices for the day, which are located at the rim of the Kilauea volcano caldera, and as I approached my motorcycle I was reminded of the dire need for a chain adjustment. I thought to myself "I wish I had that damn wrench" at that moment I was looking at my headlight and suddenly saw it. It was inside the headlight of my motorcycle. I could not believe it.

It took me 2 hours to disassemble my motorcycle to the point of removing the headlight and I even had to remove the light bulb to get the wrench out of the 2 inch diameter hole. The light bulb hole is the only way to get inside the glass headlight and I had never removed it before. Somehow that wrench spontaneously appeared in the water-tight headlight. Also there was some red dirt in there with it and the wrench showed signs of rust that it did not have before. The road leading out of my house is composed of red dirt.

This is the only thing that I have ever seen that I can classify as extraordinarily unlikely. I guess it is possible that someone did it to play a joke on me, but who would go through all that effort? I was new to Hawaii and didn't have any friends that would play jokes on me.

So what do you guys think? Some sort of divine intervention? Did I somehow tap the power of my mind to teleport the wrench? Was it Pele the goddess of Kilauea volcano helping me out? Or was it a personal message from "god" to tell me that anything is possible?

I am not religious or superstitious and I am skeptical of all things supernatural, but to this day it still perplexes me like nothing else. :huh:

Hi Caustic,

Very perplexing story, indeed. Welcome to the forum. :) We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, and how they found their way here. Have a read through that section to get an idea of how others have done it. Thanks.

Vulcan59 said:
Hi Caustic,

Very perplexing story, indeed. Welcome to the forum. :) We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, and how they found their way here. Have a read through that section to get an idea of how others have done it. Thanks.

Sorry about that, seems I jumped the gun a bit. I have posted an introduction. Thanks for your guidance.

Hi Caustic,
One day I noticed it was gone from my tool kit locked in the tail of the motorcycle.

Anything unusual happen just before this time? Or any Missing time?

Well that is strange. :huh:

Is there any 'wrench' in your 'line of sight?' Or something in your life that might be 'throwing a wrench in your plans?'

Just putting that idea out there.

Is it possible that one of the locals had access to your wrench? Here in the continental U.S., the indigenous love to misplace items- for a practical joke, and to mess with your head. Sometimes it's well-intentioned, to get you thinking. But be careful, sometimes these little episodes are designed to create an opening for attack or distraction. OSIT

I'm with you on this one, Caustic. It is goose-bumping strange.

I'm wondering if there was something happening on the route to your way home (accident or something on the road) that you were supposed to miss? Can you think of anything that happened that was beneficial for you to be out of the way of?

Clearly a bit of PK going on there! And what a cool message to the self. You've got talent!

Lauranimal said:
Hi Caustic,
One day I noticed it was gone from my tool kit locked in the tail of the motorcycle.

Anything unusual happen just before this time? Or any Missing time?

If I had any missing time, I didn't notice.
My life was pretty unusual at this time as I was volunteering for the U.S.G.S. on the volcano but no particular event stands out in my mind.

Dawn said:
Well that is strange. :huh:

Is there any 'wrench' in your 'line of sight?' Or something in your life that might be 'throwing a wrench in your plans?'

Just putting that idea out there.

This metaphor is something I have not considered before. Very interesting, I'll ponder on this for awhile.

nwigal said:
Is it possible that one of the locals had access to your wrench? Here in the continental U.S., the indigenous love to misplace items- for a practical joke, and to mess with your head. Sometimes it's well-intentioned, to get you thinking. But be careful, sometimes these little episodes are designed to create an opening for attack or distraction. OSIT

This is possible, but I think unlikely. What few friends I had at the time didn't know where I lived, but I cannot rule out the possibility that it was a prank.
In Hawaii there is the legend of the Menehune. Menehune are said to be dwarf like people that live deep in the jungles and enjoy playing pranks. I bet this wrench in the headlight is the sort of thing a Menehune would do.

If it was a prank, somebody put a lot of effort into it and was very sneaky to accomplish it in front of my house as I slept or in the parking lot at the volcano.

Well, I love to symbolism of it - a message from yourself to perhaps adjust how you see things? Pretty amazing nonetheless.

Gonzo

truth seeker said:
I'm wondering if there was something happening on the route to your way home (accident or something on the road) that you were supposed to miss? Can you think of anything that happened that was beneficial for you to be out of the way of?

I had a rash of bad luck on that motorcycle with 3 minor accidents and 1 moderate accident within 3 months prior to this incident. The first three crashes I simply fell over in my gravel driveway. The 4th accident was more serious when I hit a piece of gray plastic on the road and lost traction. Fortunately, and amazingly, I was not injured. Every crash temporarily disabled my bike by breaking off my foot pegs which were hard to replace. The missing wrench finally put my bike out of service for good since I never repaired the damage to the sprockets and recently sold it.

It was a long and dangerous commute. Maybe these incidents were intended to disable my motorcycle to keep me out of harms way?

Back
Top Bottom