Will there be a draft?

In my country a lot of people have ascribed to the army, specially a kind of militias created by the goverment. There you can see young and old people. The goverment has made damage control saying that "they are giving chances to people to dignify their lives serving to the nation" and we think, what scenario is preparing the goverment for? The worst is that they are very ideological and their function is protect the bolivarian revolution, so lets see what will be the outcome 10/7 , election day when Chavez can loose for the first time.

Yozilla said:
Well draft is possible two-edged sword: PTB could arm their own executioners... it is better option not to build up such a massive force which could turn against you ... just my shaky perception...

While I would agree, I find it unlikely they are using the same logic. Although not totally comparable, we could look at the various liberation or terrorist groups throughout human history. Even though events appear to take a life of their own, the manipulators always think they have full control of the situation (and in many cases, they do). With things playing out the way they are now, it is surely intended.

Also, of course this is not an either/or situation. If it came to war, some countries would engage in conscription, many wouldn't. My country, Canada, would appear generally more likely to do so, given the currently authoritative government, small army, and lack of opposition movements. Within the more activist USA, already plagued with a number of other social problems as well conscription seems unlikely. In a land of scarcity, a carrot works better than the stick. But here where we haven't felt a lot of heat from the economy and the culture is relatively docile, the stick can be used with less consequences.

But who knows what things will be like when we get there! It's difficult to plan for conscription, which requires a different set of social and political circumstances (even if they are potentially in sight).

anart said:
There are lots of people in every country who join the military for economic reasons, so squeeze the economy harder and you have a ready supply of bodies.

Simple but makes so much sense actually.

Here too we've been seeing military more often. I saw them perhaps a few times in my life which actually most was this very year. Weird thing. Especially in Québec.

Tanks, humvees, machine guns, jeeps, more and more commercials as well and Harper is really cutting in the budget. Everything adds up.

Good point anart!

Back
Top Bottom