What's the weather where you are?

Just recently I had a heated exchange with a friend who is a global warming believer. My question about how exactly it is possible to have the coldest April in a century in many parts of Europe, followed by equally crappy May, when we are said to have 10 years left before we roast in hellfire on Earth remains unanswered - while she remains convinced we have global warming. I guess it's true what they say: you can't fix stupid. And that's despite the fact that she's a member of Mensa :rolleyes:

You know, I think some of those people will still be ranting about global warming even while they shovel snow in August.

Here in Stockholm, right prior midsummers eve - it had cooled down after a very warm period (up to 30°C / 86°F). Now we've having occasional light rainfalls and plenty of clouds, as well some sunshine. Temperature wise - despite the clouds - it is pleasantly warm with 20-22°C / 68-71.6°F, while during the nights it is rather mild with 14°C (58°F) in the outskirts, and 17°C (62.5°F) in the city core.

Birds in my area sing like in an orchestra, making it feel wonderful when you just walk around or go out with the dog. I also noticed more bees appearing this summer !! :wow:

It is heating up rather intensely in my area of the globe ( Pacific Northwest - US ). The average high temp this time of year is normally around 26C / 78F. The next three days we are expecting 40C - 46C.
View attachment 46507
Today the temp in Portland, OR is supposed to reach 107 and tomorrow and Monday the high is predicted as 114 degrees. This is a record breaking heatwave for this area.

It is heating up rather intensely in my area of the globe ( Pacific Northwest - US ). The average high temp this time of year is normally around 26C / 78F. The next three days we are expecting 40C - 46C.

Yes, same up here above the 49th parallel of the Pacific Northwest in BC - stay cool; cold showers, find a lake, keep an eye out for your friends and family (especially the elderly family members.)

This will evaporate any moisture present in ground fuels, which does not bode well should electrical storms spin up during or following.

Ring of "fire"
Stockholm • Sweden 27 Jun 2021

Stockholm resides in an interesting local weather situation today. We are embedded in a sort of warm air pocket, with the highest temperatures (up to 27°C / 80.6°F) of all Sweden.

A ring of small Thunderstorm cells have popped up all around the city, in a circle of approx. 160 km. The City itself is unaffected. Already when I went out with Tekki the dog at noon, I noticed that the sun felt incredibly strong in it's radiation - to a degree that it literally felt unpleasant (fierce would be a better name). It reminded me of what you expect from South Europe. The exceptionally clear air today, could be the reason for the strong radiation effect ?

So, while still large parts of the sky where deep blue, with little puffy clouds - you could suddenly hear really loud rumbling thunder. It was an interesting conflict of senses; because seeing innocent blue sky, little white clouds and lots of sunshine... - while in contrast, you hear strong thunder is going on. (Usually when thunder is that loud, the sky is already overcast).

On a satellite chart, the "popcorn" looks innocent - - to the visible eye the T-storm clouds look mighty. However, no rain has fallen, neither in the city nor were I live in the southern suburbs. But Tullinge Station, 7 km SW from my place, got 8 mm rain, and the temperature dropped (of course) from 26°C (78.8°F) to 16°C (60.8°F)

Infrared Photography

The images are made with an infrared filter (on a "leaky" Leica M8 camera), as the effect chisels out clouds so well against the blue sky. (dramatizing details in clouds). As I write, it is still sunny, yet the rumbling is still heard from my the balcony... It's a very interesting atmosphere to experience...

2021-06-27-at-14-00-00.jpg _-2021-06-27-at-13.34.41.jpg

_-2021-06-27-at-13.30.49.jpg

2021-06-27-12-51-08.jpg

2021-06-27-14-16-37.jpg

2021-06-27-14-16-56.jpg

The Netherlands: Most dangerous form of lightning struck near Scheveningen coast; Code Yellow warning for Sunday evening

Sunday, June 27, 2021 - 15:21

Most dangerous form of lightning struck near Scheveningen coast; Code Yellow warning for Sunday evening

A loud bang that could be heard originating near Scheveningen around 4 p.m. on Saturday was the result of "the most dangerous type of lightning in the world", weather website Buienradar said. Analysis showed that the lightning strike had an extremely high electric current of 267,000 amps.

The lighting strike occurred a few hundred meters west of the southern pier at Scheveningen Beach. This particular form of lightning can reach a maximum of 300,000 amps, and is ten times more powerful than normal lightning strikes. In comparison, household current is usually 15 amps.

What makes these discharges recognizable is the huge bang they are accompanied with, which was likely to have been heard everywhere in The Hague and its surroundings. "If it hits really close, it can feel like a bomb has just exploded," Buienradar said.

Heb jij de enorme klap vandaag gehoord in de omgeving van Den Haag? 🤯 De gevaarlijkste bliksem ter wereld sloeg in zee bij Scheveningen! ⚡ Ook uit de rest van het land kwamen meldingen van erg luide blikseminslagen ⛈🔊 Lees hier alles over dit fenomeen: Buienradar - Blog pic.twitter.com/aUOEpaI2ZF
— Buienradar (@BuienRadarNL) June 26, 2021
Did you hear the huge bang today in the area of The Hague? 🤯 The world's most dangerous lightning struck the sea near Scheveningen! ⚡ Reports of very loud lightning strikes also came from the rest of the country ⛈🔊 Read all about this phenomenon here: Buienradar - Blog pic.twitter.com/aUOEpaI2ZF
- Buienradar (@BuienRadarNL) June 26, 2021

"Yep. That's what I heard yesterday evening. A series of loud bangs and menacing rumbles that went on and on and on, uncomfortably close to where I live," one Twitter user said.

About 5 to 10 percent of lightnings are "positive lightning," which is the most dangerous kind. These do not strike under the thunderstorm, but rather next to it. In that case, the distance that lightning has to travel through the air is many times greater, requiring much more energy.

Exactly that occurred in Scheveningen on Saturday, according to Buienradar. "The real storm was still hanging over the land, but the lightning struck far from the storm above the sea," they said.

Dutch meteorological institute KNMI has also issued a code yellow warning due to thunderstorms on Sunday. The warning applies to North Brabant, Zeeland, South Holland and Limburg between 4 p.m. and 11 p.m.

"Avoid open water and open areas and do not hide under trees. Follow weather reports and warnings," KNMI stated.
please i was in a store at the time it happened i thought something fell😭😭 can’t believe i heard it all the way from there. big ass lightning strike my gawd'Gevaarlijkste soort bliksem ter wereld' slaat in zee bij Scheveningen
— sel ♛ (@chokeonrauhl) June 26, 2021

We had a few days with some rain and some sun, here in west Germany, and today it went to sunny 28, only to start to rain again around 17h… 😕
At least I managed to cleanup the balcony before the rain and empty, clean up and dry the kids pool and store it away since we won’t be here for another month…
Tomorrow should be 28 again with change of weather that looks like storm, again, because I see in forecast that there will be more rain the whole next week with temperatures between 20-22 degrees.

Heatwave + drought for two weeks, broken yesterday and just now with the second, quick June rain, in Eastern Hungary, 90 miles from the Ukrainian border. A blessed relief as it brought some cool air.
For decades the heavy summer rain-clouds always just teased us high above, then quickly moved far away to deliver their rain content to some distant land. We always had to water our plants by hand, otherwise everything got destroyed by the heat.
This punishing heat numbs the mind: I feel like a Rain Zombie, coming to life only after watered, but remaining dormant in the heat. :zzz:

We had a thunderstorm last week. The unusual thing was that the actual storm warning was only given half an hour in advance. With the express warning not to go outside because of the lightning. I've never read that before. What ever. I was in my room on the roof of our house and I could see the sky through the skylight (which is quite large). And to be honest, I've never seen anything like it. I know thunderstorms with lightning and then thunder. It was different here. It flashed over the entire sky (rather peripheral, i.e. no downwardly directed discharges) but without continuous thunder.

The water masses were enormous. We have a house on the hillside and I know our gutter is blocked. So I was afraid that our basement would be full of water. That would be a disaster for us as we store all of our material for our food trailer in the basement. And we live from hand to mouth, so to speak. Anyway, I was sitting up there and the only thing I could think of was to pick up my crystals, say the soul's prayer, and recite Psalm 91. With a real plea for mercy. In this case.

At some point I heard the fire brigade and noticed how they were using pumps to empty the cellars of our neighboring houses. Every house around us was flooded with water. In our NOTHING. It's not even damp.

I am very grateful for the protection that the crystals offer, but also for the protection whose grace I would never have been granted without my own learning.

Today the temp in Portland, OR is supposed to reach 107 and tomorrow and Monday the high is predicted as 114 degrees. This is a record breaking heatwave for this area.
Was 108 yesterday at the Portland airport - new record for us. Predicting 113 - 115 today - never personally experienced heat this high before. Staying inside most of the day but will venture out later for a bit to experience the heat at the highest point of the day later this afternoon, just to see what it feels like.

Here in Alaska, it is partly sunny and around 70F. It rained last night, which is welcomed.

The days begin getting shorter since solstice:

4:20 AM was sunrise, and 11:42PM was sunset, for 19 hours 21 minutes of daylight. (solstice)

4:24 AM > 11:40 PM today.

Back
Top Bottom