What's the weather where you are?

I am in the Adirondacks of New York and we are on our third day without power following a 1/2 inch ice storm which was followed by another storm of 18 inches of heavy snow and then strong winds of 45 miles per hr. The trees struggle to hold on in this type of situation and countless limbs have come down on power lines, homes and vehicles. To add to this, it was well below zero last night. Winters that have snow and below zero temps are common for this area, however, ice storms have become more frequent in the past decade which is not normal. The month of January has been unseasonably warm with temps in the high 30's and 40's and even above that now and then. Usually, January in this area is a month of deep snow and temperatures that can reach 10-20 below zero for a sustained period of time. We have a generator and a wood stove and stay comfortable but for many, this is not an option. Warming stations have been set up in some of the surrounding communities and people are checking on their loved ones and neighbors.

We had powerful winds and rain all day Friday, now cold but sunny. Eastern NC, USA.

Not my neighborhood, but weather trouble at Heathrow. Lots of planes not able to land due to high winds from Storm Ciara. Here's live runway video from Blancolirio Channel. He a commercial pilot that does very good, detailed aviation accident explanations.

Storm 'Ciara' is in the UK this weekend too. Londow was severely effected with heavy winds. Some places in the UK had up to 6ft of rainfall, while it was colder up in Scotland.

In SE Wales, there's been high speed winds, rain, hailstorm, thunder and lightning. All on a full moon weekend.

It hasn't been too cold generally. Simply humid and erratic weather.

Stay safe everyone!

In Alaska, we had high winds as well. With the winds came warm 40°f which is warm compared to 0-10°f temps we had since around Christmas.

I noticed a few spruce trees appeared dead that I hadn't noticed before - now that the snow is off the trees. We have spruce beetle problems, but it could be the hot weather we had last summer that helped kill them.

Not really weather related, but the ravens seem to be behaving peculiar here too. I saw a dead raven along the route to the store, and ravens perched atop cars in the parking lot at the store. Not very many, but with the reports from different places in the news, you notice them more.

In the Netherlands the storm Ciara caused damages of around 150 million Euros. Meanwhile, the next one called Dennis is raging now with considerably less power but still severe.

Temperature-wise we have another record to announce: the warmest 16th of February ever measured with 13.6° Celsius in De Bilt at 03:20 hours. The previous record happened in 2019 with 13.3° Celsius on the same date.

The high temperature also brought us the first official spring day of this year with 15.0° Celsius in De Bilt at 12:40 hours. The first official spring day is this year one day earlier than in 2019. Then it came to 15.1 degrees on 17 February. On average, the first local spring day falls on 5 March. In De Bilt, the first official spring day takes place on average on 16 March. According to Weeronline we are now one month ahead of the 'normal schedule'.

More details:
Storm Dennis and spring-like temperatures in NL on Sunday
Entire country under Code Yellow storm warning on warmest-ever Feb. 16; Few travel issues in a.m.

Eerste officiële lentedag: warmste 16 februari ooit

Here in the Canary Islands we are living a very serious situation. Since yesterday we have a strong Sirocco with strong winds (they say 120 km hour). Our airport is again closed. And we have some fires that are very hard to control, here in Las Palmas and in Tenerife. The problem is that the communication and help can not come from outside, vue the closed air. So it is a very tricky situation. Not possibility to leave the island, no possibility to come to the island. For now. People are stuck in Spain, incapable to come, people are stuck here, incapable to leave. A total chaos in the Airport. You can imagine.

A lot of people also in urgency because of the sand, breath problems specially.

About the fires this last night many people passed the night on the beaches because nothing was prepared to received them. About the fires, if the wind don't stop bad news.

So I think it is a very interesting situation. We can see how little people are prepared to a situation like this, specially government. When something like this happens it is very important to learn, I hope they will learn. If a sirocco was due, the idea of fires had to be present and be prepared. I hope in the hospitals they are ready for people arriving with breath situation.

And evidently we stay at home with a good book and a good dog.

So also a situation like this reminds us if we are ready for a pandemic.

Pictures about the fires and the sirocco on the beach and everywhere.

Attachments

• tasarte_6097279_20200223064524.jpg
    tasarte_6097279_20200223064524.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 10
  • documentacion-fotos-1-6608521_6096989_20200222221612.jpg
    documentacion-fotos-1-6608521_6096989_20200222221612.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 10
  • aerogc_6096988_20200222221612.jpg
    aerogc_6096988_20200222221612.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 10
  • jc014220220_6093725_20200222205714.jpg
    jc014220220_6093725_20200222205714.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 9
Some videos about the Sirocco and what the winds did. Remind that all the airports are closed so we are cut from the rest of the planet. :cool2:
There is sand everywhere, inside the apartments also. My books are cover with sand poor them. Impossible to go outside, too dangerous without a mask.

We've had thunderstorms here in Perth, Western Australia for the last two days and last night someone managed to capture this photo. The weather has been a little unpredictable. Gusts of wind up to 90 kmh and lots of lightning.

Perth Weather.jpg

The Netherlands has had the wettest month of February in history which was also the second mildest ever. Winter has been almost non-existent throughout the season with hardly any frost worth mentioning and only yesterday the first sporadic patches of snow or sleet that didn't last for longer than a few hours.

Full details here:
Wettest February ever, and nearly the warmest on record
Weather records fall: February has been very warm and very wet - DutchNews.nl

‘Natste februari sinds begin van de metingen’

The weather here in Alaska seems about normal: 20°-30°F, small amounts of snow accumulation here and there...

But I anticipate this time of year because it is when the sun starts to shine directly in my window. All other times, it is too high or too low. There are still no leaves yet on the trees, so the sun shines through the trees, and with days getting longer, the radiant heat melts the snow directly, even if it is real cold.

So, I tan in the sun inside. And every speck of dust is visible, and so I get into spring cleaning mode.

Back
Top Bottom