What do you do to "wake up"?

S

Seeker

Out of all the meditations, techniques, and things I've learned, the only things I am focusing on now in a real attempt to awaken is:

1) Remember myself (Gnosis) as often as I can, for as long as I can, wherever I am.

2) Acquire "knowledge" - with the prayer of having the wisdomt to know what is and what isn't

3) Healing whatever gets in the way of the first two.

I'd love to know what others do - but probably not wanting to initiate a discussion on alarm clocks vs using the radio in the morning...

Seeker said:
Waking up to all the concepts offered in this forum is a tall order. I am acquiring knowledge at the moment. Reading the Myth of Sanity, The Wave Series online and waiting on Secret History to come in the mail:). I have quite a bit more books to read. Gnosis being one of those.

Meditation and reading are what I am using currently to unlearn and attempt to wake!

I gotta have a couple cigarettes and lots of coffee.

edit: I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Seeker said:
I'd love to know what others do - but probably not wanting to initiate a discussion on alarm clocks vs using the radio in the morning...
A couple of things that i can think of in the moment:

1. I daily read sott. If work is too much during the day, i will stay up late to catch up. It's difficult to fall asleep after that (literally and figuratively) :/ Most of the articles are "uncomfortable" to read, and we tend to sleep when comfortable i think.

2. I read the recommended books and write quotes on post-its which i put on places where i see them - above the computer screen is a good place. Usually the quotes have to do with things i know i personally have to work on but i keep forgetting. A "popular" one now is "talk for others and listen for yourself". You can find the ones that are what you need to remember to do, to get you out of the everyday "comfortable" and easy coming mechanical habits.

3. Shower with cold water (couldn't help myself either ;) )

Currently:

1.) Read, Read, Read. Into Secret History-LJK and The Narcissistic Family-Pressman(s), just finished Trapped in the Mirror - Goulomb, The High Strangeness - LJK, Underground Bases and Tunnels - Sauder, UFOs & National Security State-Dolan. The amount I've read in the last 2 years easily trumps all the 'reading' i did in my life up to that point. SOTT Daily, of course, as well as the forum here.

2.) Eating Healthy and Getting Excercise - Just discovered my sensitivity to gluten, so i cut that out, and i've had much more vitality and decreased allergenicity since then. I've also noticed that I've been eating less, more along the lines of when my stomach tells me I'm hungry as opposed to my brain telling me it's 'time to eat'.

3.) Collecting and sharing news and youtubes I think my friends will 'get'. I use myspace and livejournal as the medium. I occasionally email articles or youtube vids to individuals, the trick is to give what is asked for and not to 'throw pearls before swine', been a learning exercise lemme tell ya!

I try to make political video's or at least I did. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdnN03nAXkc - Omen ) I'd try and extract a deeper meaning from them. I was quite (vainly) proud. I could so learn (intellectually) from them and spent an unimaginable amount of (emotional) energy bleeding out tonnes of sadness. Now I just try to grasp the difference between me and it.

For the longest time listening to it I'd do every thing within my power to avoid various books on psychology. I like all the info on densities and love to let my imagination wander but never getting down and actually DOing a thing. I could have gone in circles on that note for ever. Now I'm just studying the various psychology books that laura has mentioned here in the forum.

She listed some here http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=5743 Post 9
Laura Wrote:
1) Trapped in The Mirror by Elan Goulomb
2) Unholy Hungers by Barbara Hort
3) The Myth of Sanity by Martha Stout
4) The Narcissistic Family by Stephanie Donaldson-Pressman and Robert M. Pressman
So I'm working on that list. My approach wasn't working for me as I learned elsewhere, in a strange twist of events. I didn't quite recognize I wasn't getting it before the situation until I looked up and saw a bus that said Annie Wright on it but that's another story.

In the 'couldn't help myself category,' I wake up and Yell 'with' my kids, "Ahhh not another day of school!" They don't say it on the weekends though. :)

Thinking.

Thinking permanently creates a "sensation of consciousness" state that can also trigger self remembering, and lucidity.

Nothing else needed. No "small stone in shoe", Gurdjieff himself renounced to this idea in "Life is Real Only Then, When 'I Am'"

I also read, read, read. Step one is knowledge. The more you are exposed to, the more you can hope to get out of "the system", and the more you can relate to and be empathetic with others. Knowledge is power!

Then, observe. This includes outer and inner observation. Inner observation centers on being self-aware, realizing what programs one is running, etc. in the line of G and Ouspensky. Any time I can remember, I ask myself, am "I am"? Outer observation is comparing events, circumstances, and patterns I see in real life, and deciding which, if any, of the concepts and information I've read about apply. Discard what things I've read/seen/heard/etc. which are obvious lies, keep possible but yet unproven explanations to the side for further examination, support hypotheses with facts.

Talk with others- all types of people, and consistently. While doing so, I try to observe both how I act and how others act. It is very interesting, especially in social situations, how (at least me) one thinks or wants to think and act one way, and how one really acts or speaks. Also, by talking with others, I can see whether or not I really understand all of these things I've read about, and hopefully I can get some ideas/alternative viewpoints from what others think. Constantly re-evaluate, see what fits, throw out what isn't truth. Network!

Well I read too but I have come to the realization that all the reading in the world is not going to do any good unless once commences the "work" and that is easier said than done. So many programs to get through and constantly finding new ones. And then not to mention all the distractions of living daily life. Wife, the children, going to work etc, etc. With no one at home or at work to discuss the topics we discuss here, it makes it a bit harder. I mean reading is one thing and writing out your thoughts and feelings is not entirely adequate. Often, there are things that I cannot just find the right words to pen it down. Perhaps the inadequacy I feel with writing is probably a lack of complete or clear understanding of the matter. So many variables and so many view points plus not to mention so many unknowables. Nevertheless, a step at a time and if not in this life time then hopefully the others to come OSIT.

vulcan59 said:
Perhaps the inadequacy I feel with writing is probably a lack of complete or clear understanding of the matter. So many variables and so many view points plus not to mention so many unknowables. Nevertheless, a step at a time and if not in this life time then hopefully the others to come OSIT.
Yes i think that is all you can do. concentrate on the small things and then it will all slot together. - I believe that. I find by reading similar concepts from a different perspective really useful in making sense of the bigger picture. For example comparing Castaneda with fourth way teachings, the fact that two very different cultures discuss similar esoteric paths was enlightening for me. I am not sure i agree with you that if you miss out this time there is always the next life. My own view is that we may never ever get a better opportunity than this one:
Gurdjieff (forum rules) said:
"The work itself of schools of the fourth way can have very many forms and many meanings. In the midst of the ordinary conditions of life the only chance a man has of finding a 'way' is in the possibility of meeting with the beginning of work of this kind. But the chance of meeting with such work as well as the possibility of profiting by this chance depends upon many circumstances and conditions.

"The quicker a man grasps the aim of the work which is being executed, the quicker can he become useful to it and the more will he be able to get from it for himself.

"But no matter what the fundamental aim of the work is, the schools continue to exist only while this work is going on. When the work is done the schools close. The people who began the work leave the stage. Those who have learned from them what was possible to learn and have reached the possibility of continuing on the way independently begin in one form or another their own personal work.
what wakes me up is the prospect that after surviving a catastrophe it is our responsibility to carry on this work, so the further we get and the more organised we are, the better.

edit: seekintruth just wrote a well-written related post here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=6130

what wakes me up is how dim the situation is on this planet and that not taking the responsibility for waking up is what got us here and is keeping us here. The sense of responsibility to do in a seemingly impossible environment is what wakes me up. How can I expect others to wake up if I am not myself awake in the perfect environment that calls for it.

What helps to wake me up is to be reminded on a continuous basis the terror of the situation. The Signs Of The Times page (SOTT= Seekers Of The Truth) is very helpful here because every time I read it I’m shocked into being reminded that what I see in my everyday life is a lie and this shock helps me to see just how asleep I am and how I am a prisoner, and how often I forget that I am a prisoner.

I need to be constantly reminded of this since I don't want to believe it even though I know it to be true. When I’m at work or visiting family I fall into an almost hypnotic state where I identify with the mechanical patterns of behavior of the other people around me that’s based on the belief that the world around them, the phenomenal world of familiar everyday life, is what reality is. Reality is simply a perception for them and their perception becomes my perception and their reality becomes my reality because I find myself falling into identification with this perception and believing it even though I may know intellectually that this is not reality. But when I identify with it I feel it to be reality even though I know it is naught but a perception that the people around me believe to be real.

The sleeping people know deep down that something is not right. This feeling is always in the background of their subconscious. I can see it, but they are asleep and they go day by day on automatic programs. Then there are other people where there is nothing behind them at all. They are simply programs, nothing more, nothing less. However, these programs become the reality for both of these groups nonetheless.

The truer reality is what is behind this perception which is the fact that we are all prisoners in a cyclic time loop; that this time loop is our prison; that we are food and are bred to be slaves for some psychopathic ‘higher authority;’ that we are an experiment like lab rats; that this ‘higher authority’ has given us it's mind via mind control technologies (media, TV, and god knows what else), and in the end it is we who enslave ourselves because we believe that their mind is our mind and that their perceptions are our own perceptions. So every time we try to escape we eventually bring ourselves back into the prison again because we eventually end up thinking like the sleeping people around us who perceive themselves to be free with no need to escape.

Being reminded of the terror of the situation from the SOTT page along with always striving to be aware that I can die at any moment, along with the awareness of the fact that behind the veneer of 'ordinary everyday reality' there is a psychopathic, inhuman, barbaric, sadistic, hateful, pathologically narcissistic cold blooded group that covertly rules our lives and is always silently watching and waiting for the time when it can make its attack to establish complete power and control of every living thing on this planet, is what helps me to wake up for a just a moment and feel alive enough from a glimpse of the real world, and this increases my will to escape from my identification with my sleeping machine (which is a living death) and escape to real freedom and perhaps, to be able to have the oppurtunity to be truly alive in the real world.

I think Gurdjieff has a good description in the book Views From The Real World on how life is like a current that flows in two seperate streams and how we can make use of shocks and oppurtunities to jump from the first stream that's under the General Law of the masses (the law of accident) into the other stream of the 'particular' which puts one under different law which he calls the 'law of alternating progression' that puts one into a different world and another life but it is still hazardous in the same way it is hazardous for an acorn to open up and grow into an oak tree. In its shell it is safe. It's risky when the shell opens and the tree begins to grow but that is the price to be paid for growth.

Excerpt taken from the book Views From The Real World : Early Talks, Part V 'The Two Rivers':

It will be useful if we compare human life in general to a large river which arises from various sources and flows into two separate streams, that is to say, there occurs in this river a dividing of the waters, and we can compare the life of any one man to one of the drops of water composing this river of life.

On account of the unbecoming life of people, it was established for the purposes of the common actualizing of everything existing that, in general, human life on the Earth should flow in two streams. Great Nature foresaw and gradually fixed in the common presence of humanity a correspond- ing property, so that, before the dividing of the waters, in each drop that has this corresponding inner subjective "struggle with one's own denying part," there might arise that "some- thing," thanks to which certain properties are acquired which give the possibility, at the place of the branching of the waters of life, of entering one or the other stream.

Thus there are two directions in the life of humanity: active and passive. Laws are the same everywhere. These two laws, these two currents, continually meet, now crossing each other, now running parallel. But they never mix; they support each other, they are indispensable for each other. It was always so and so it will remain. Now, the life of all ordinary men taken together can be thought of as one of these rivers in which each life, whether of a man or of any other living being, is represented by a drop in the river, and the river in itself is a link in the cosmic chain.

In accordance with general cosmic laws, the river flows in a fixed direction. All its turns, all its bends, all these changes have a definite purpose. In this purpose every drop plays a part insofar as it is part of the river, but the law of the river as a whole does not extend to the individual drops. The changes of position, movement and direction of the drops are completely accidental. At one moment a drop is here; the next mo- ment it is there; now it is on the surface, now it has gone to the bottom. Accidentally it rises, accidentally it collides with another and descends; now it moves quickly, now slowly. Whether its life is easy or difficult depends on where it happens to be. There is no individual law for it, no personal fate. Only the whole river has a fate, which is common to all the drops. Personal sorrow and joy, happiness and suffering—in that current, all these are accidental.

But the drop has, in principle, a possibility of escaping from this general current and jumping across to the other, the neighboring, stream.

This too is a law of Nature. But, for this, the drop must know how to make use of accidental shocks, and of the momentum of the whole river, so as to come to the surface and be closer to the bank at those places where it is easier to jump across. It must choose not only the right place but also the right time, to make use of winds, currents and storms. Then the drop has a chance to rise with the spray and jump across into the other river.

From the moment it gets into the other river, the drop is in a different world, in a different life, and therefore is under dif- ferent laws. In this second river a law exists for individual drops, the law of alternating progression. A drop comes to the top or goes to the bottom, this time not by accident but by law. On coming to the surface, the drop gradually becomes heavier and sinks; deep down it loses weight and rises again.

To float on the surface is good for it—to be deep down is bad. Much depends here on skill and on effort. In this second river there are different currents and it is necessary to get into the required current. The drop must float on the surface as long as possible in order to prepare itself, to earn the possibility of passing into another current, and so on.

But we are in the first river. As long as we are in this passive current it will carry us wherever it may; as long as we are passive we shall be pushed about and be at the mercy of every accident. We are the slaves of these accidents.

At the same time Nature has given us the possibility of escaping from this slavery. Therefore when we talk about freedom we are talking precisely about crossing over into the other river.

But of course it is not so simple—you cannot cross over merely because you wish. Strong desire and long preparation are necessary. You will have to live through being identified with all the attractions in the first river. You must die to this river. All religions speak about this death: "Unless you die, you cannot be bom again."

This does not mean physical death. From that death there is no necessity to rise again because if there is a soul, and it is immortal, it can get along without the body, the loss of which we call death. And the reason for rising again is not in order to appear before the Lord God on the day of judgment as the fathers of the Church teach us. No, Christ and all the others spoke of the death which can take place in life, the death of the tyrant from whom our slavery comes, that death which is a necessary condition of the first and principal liberation of man.

If a man were deprived of his illusions and all that prevents him from seeing reality—if he were deprived of his interests, his cares, his expectations and hopes—all his strivings would collapse, everything would become empty and there would re- main an empty being, an empty body, only physiologically alive. This would be the death of "I," the death of everything it consisted of, the destruction of everything false collected
through ignorance or inexperience. All this will remain in him merely as material, but subject to selection. Then a man will be able to choose for himself and not have imposed on him what others like. He will have conscious choice.

[…] Now, as to the question. I can put it this way. Suppose you find a teacher with real knowledge who wishes to help you, and you wish to learn: even so, he cannot help you. He can only do so when you wish in the right way. This must be your aim; but this aim is also too far off, it is necessary to find what will bring you to it or at least bring you nearer to it. The aim must be divided. So, we must have as our aim the capacity to wish, and this can only be attained by a man who realizes his nothingness. We must revalue our values, and this must be based on need. Man cannot do this revaluation by himself alone.

I can advise you, but I cannot help you; nor can the Institute help you. It can only help you when you are on the Way —but you are not there.

First you must decide: is the Way necessary for you or not? How are you to begin to find this out? If you are serious, you must change your point of view, you must think in a new way, you must find your possible aim. This you cannot do alone, you must call on a friend who can help you—everyone can help—but especially two friends can help each other to revalue their values.

It is very difficult to be sincere all at once, but, if you try, you will improve gradually. When you can be sincere, I can show you, or help you to see, the things you are afraid of, and you will find what is necessary and useful for yourself. These values really can change. Your mind can change every day, but your essence stays as it is.

But there is a risk. Even this preparation of the mind gives results. Occasionally a man may feel with his essence some- thing which is very bad for him, or at least for his peace of mind. He has already tasted something and, though he forgets, it may return. If it is very strong, your associations will keep reminding you of it and, if it is intense, you will be half in one place and half in another, and you will never be quite comfortable. This is good only if a man has a real possibility of change, and the chance of changing. People can be very un- happy, neither fish nor flesh nor herring. It is a serious risk. Before you think of changing your seat you would be wise to consider very carefully and take a good look at both kinds of chairs. Happy is the man who sits in his ordinary chair. A thousand times happier is the man who sits in the chair of the angels, but miserable is the man who has no chair. You must decide—is it worthwhile? Examine the chairs, revalue your values.

The first aim is to forget all about everything else, talk to your friend, study and examine the chairs. But I warn you, when you start looking you will find much that is bad in your present chair. Next time, if you have made up your mind what you are going to decide about your life, I can talk differently on this subject. Try to see yourself, for you do not know yourself. You must realize this risk; the man who tries to see himself can be very unhappy, for he will see much that is bad, much that he will wish to change—and that change is very difficult. It is easy to start, but, once you have given up your chair, it is very difficult to get another, and it may cause great unhappiness. Everyone knows the gnawings of remorse. Now your conscience is relative, but when you change your values you will have to stop lying to yourself. When you have seen one thing, it is much easier to see another, and it is more difficult to shut your eyes. You must either stop looking or be willing to take risks.

Excellent points. I guess it isn't just reading. Networking and being involved in normal life seems like it is key. It is interesting then that G mentions that, even before one embarks on the Way, one should discuss with a friend the situation at hand.

G said:
This you cannot do alone, you must call on a friend who can help you—everyone can help—but especially two friends can help each other to revalue their values.
G said:
The first aim is to forget all about everything else, talk to your friend, study and examine the chairs.
Two questions I now have are:
1. What exactly does he mean by talk with a friend? I missed this point on first reading the passage. Does he mean just to literally network and shoot ideas off of someone, or does he have something different (perhaps more introspective?) in mind?

2. What exactly makes one person decide to wake up and choose a different chair, and another person not? I mean, and I've tried, one can show the Signs page to anyone and a lot of people still won't respond, or respond uncomfortably, or respond postively, seem to be shocked, but then never follow up on it. In some cases it's a matter of environment, education, or relevant life experiences. Or, we can say it's just genetics, or choices we made before/during/after this life (ourselves in the future, anyone?), but what makes us make this choice now? Is it significant at all? The C's say it's when you choose that counts. This is a question that I still don't really get. I feel like the answer I would get is related to the law of three, and for some reason that does not seem satisfying to me as a complete answer.

In accordance with general cosmic laws, the river flows in a fixed direction. All its turns, all its bends, all these changes have a definite purpose. In this purpose every drop plays a part insofar as it is part of the river, but the law of the river as a whole does not extend to the individual drops. The changes of position, movement and direction of the drops are completely accidental. At one moment a drop is here; the next mo- ment it is there; now it is on the surface, now it has gone to the bottom. Accidentally it rises, accidentally it collides with another and descends; now it moves quickly, now slowly. Whether its life is easy or difficult depends on where it happens to be. There is no individual law for it, no personal fate. Only the whole river has a fate, which is common to all the drops. Personal sorrow and joy, happiness and suffering—in that current, all these are accidental.
General law as inertia. Explained by psychological (pre-loaded) pre-ponderance (by design)? Open question depending on the individual, it seems.

Those that suffer within (and despite) full grasp of material needs, are at disadvantage: it is harder to find an external "thing" to point to as the "cause" of their suffering.

What capacity is it that allows for a potential (realized or not)? Yet, those that do realize there is potential, are the ones that know another river *might* exist.

(And I'm going to be a cruel observer here and say that reading about the existence of the other river and realizing that it is there, are NOT the same thing).

Thanks for these words, I queried (in another post) and here is what I was asking for.

Cheers.

D Rusak said:
2. What exactly makes one person decide to wake up and choose a different chair, and another person not? I mean, and I've tried, one can show the Signs page to anyone and a lot of people still won't respond, or respond uncomfortably, or respond postively, seem to be shocked, but then never follow up on it. In some cases it's a matter of environment, education, or relevant life experiences.
I think that some people just haven't had their illusion of life or the world rocked in a personal way, so they can't or don't shake the illusion. They aren't dissatisfied enough to go looking for answers and there are loads of distraction, so if they do poke their head out for a look they are swallowed back up. And if a person is dissatisfied there isn't a map to lead them to answers so there is a lot to wade through and religion and such can swallow them up.

but what makes us make this choice now? Is it significant at all?
Good question. Significant I think in that you can look at where you were and the general progression and then be able to consider why others don't respond and what is happening to a person if they respond.

Back
Top Bottom