Westerns

Rhansen

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
Didn't want to derail the war in Israel thread with this but I noticed we have a few western movie fans. I have watched more than a few myself.
A couple I would recommend are:
Audie Murphy - No Name on the Bullet
Cool, cultured John Gant rides into Lordsburg. Gant is a professional killer, and although no one knows who he is there to kill, they are all worried. Everyone has enemies, and maybe Gant is in town for them. While they wait for him to make his move, paranoia starts taking over...

The Good the Bad and the Weird
The story of two outlaws and a bounty hunter in 1940s Manchuria and their rivalry to possess a treasure map while being pursued by the Japanese army and Chinese bandits.

I've been a fan of westerns since the 90's, from when I saw Sergio Leone's "Dollar Trilogy" I was pretty much hooked. Those films are very stylised, with incredible music from Ennio Morricone. I think everyone has seen at least one of those films, and they easily rank in my top 20 films of all time. Clint Eastwood of course went on to build his career on great western movies, culminating with his finest hour, 1992's "Unforgiven". I recall "Tombstone" being a bit of a classic too. "Django", another classic. I plan on watching "The Searchers" soon, I've heard very good things about that film. Just too many to mention, I'll share a few clips from my faves.

As I'm reading about the naval buildup in the Mediterranean Sea due to the conflict in Israel/Palestine, it brought to mind this scene from The Magnificent Seven film (2016 remake). All the high tension and anticipation of the possible forthcoming battle is prevalent at this time.

My usual go-to western movie is Sergio Leon's "the Good the Bad and the Ugly" but I'm planning on watching "The Big Country" from 1958 some day because of a nice description in YT video

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWqYMgFvaDk

I liked to watch all the Italo Westerns from Sergio Leone, "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly", "Once upon a time in the West", "A Fistful of Dollars", "For a Few Dollars More" etc. Especially with the music of Ennio Morricone!!! From time to time I like to watch them again, but some make me sad . . .

I really liked High Noon (1952) some years back as it showcases moral courage. The main character is a marshal who's defending a town against a gang of outlaws. The people in the town turn on him, including his own wife. I just thought it was inspiring.

Back
Top Bottom