West Memphis 3- Murders in Robin Hood Hills in 1993

knowledge_of_self

The Living Force
While browsing the web I came across this article

I didn't know anything about this case so I followed the link to read more about it on Wiki.

I must say, having read about it- this case seems very mysterious. I don't know what to think of it. There seems to be a LOT of inconsistencies on the police's part while investigating this case. Especially how the crime scene was handled and evidence was lost-

It does seem like Echols possesses psychological problems and Misskelley was apparently borderline retarded- but the other boy was apparently very smart, got good grades and was more or less normal. Lot of things about the case don't add up.

This is the introductory paragraph on wiki regarding this case, but I advise those that are interested to read the "Investigation" part which reveals a lot about the case.

The West Memphis 3 is the name given to three teenagers who were tried and convicted of the murders of three children in the Robin Hood Hills area of West Memphis, Arkansas, United States in 1993. Damien Echols was sentenced to death. Jessie Misskelley, Jr., was sentenced to life in prison, plus 40 years (he received two 20-year sentences in addition to the life sentence). Jason Baldwin was sentenced to life imprisonment.

The case has received considerable attention. Their supporters believe the arrests and convictions were a miscarriage of justice and that the defendants were wrongfully convicted during a period of intense media scrutiny. The defendants remain imprisoned, but legal proceedings are ongoing. As of July 2007, new forensic evidence was being presented in the case.

A status report jointly issued by the State and the Defense team on July 17 states, "Although most of the genetic material recovered from the scene was attributable to the victims of the offenses, some of it cannot be attributed to either the victims or the defendants." On October 29, 2007, the defense filed a Second Amended Writ of Habeas Corpus, outlining the new evidence.[1]

In September 2008, Judge David Burnett (Circuit Court) denied Echols' application for a hearing on the new DNA evidence. Hearings for Baldwin and Misskelley were scheduled to continue in August, 2009.

Echols' next stage in the legal process is an appeal to the Arkansas Supreme Court. Unless that court reverses the conviction, he will proceed to federal court on his pending writ of habeas corpus.

There was also a couple of documentaries made about this case called Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills& Paradise Lost2: Revelations- Has anyone seen those?

Also I find it interesting that the step father of one of the victims is now adamant that Echols, Misskelley and Baldwin are innocent. But the stepfather seems a bit shady himself (read the part " Mark Byers' knife gift")

He has stated:

In late 2007, John Mark Byers, adoptive father to Christopher Byers, announced that he now believes that Echols, Misskelley and Baldwin are innocent. "I believe I would be the last person on the face of the earth that people would expect or dream to see say free the West Memphis 3," said Byers. "From looking at the evidence and the facts that were presented to me, I have no doubt the West Memphis 3 are innocent." Byers is writing a book, and a film biography is being considered for production.[36] Mr. Byers has been speaking to the media on behalf of the convicted and has expressed his desire for "justice for six families."

All in all- I'm interested in what everyone thinks of this case, I think it would make for an interesting discussion.

I saw this documentary years ago and it was sad. The police went after these three teenagers but as I recall the evidence was flimsy. One of the teenagers liked to wear black and drew a pentagram or something on his school folder so it became a discussion how he was a Satanist and that the killings were a sacrifice. Other people that should have been investigated weren't and I remember by the time the documentary ended you were left scratching your head at the whole thing. Certainly, neither the police or the justice system in Arkansas (I think) looked competent. I think all three boys (now men) are still in prison. I was not convinced that justice had been done.

Just updating this thread with this

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/233803-US-West-Memphis-Three-Convicted-Of-Killing-Boy-Scouts-Free-After-Serving-17-Years-In-Prison

very interesting.

Having seen both documentaries I am thrilled that these men have been released. It was clear to me that this was a miscarriage of justice to the 100th degree, a conspiracy to just get this hideous crime solved by the police at the time.

Having spent so much time in prison, how are these men going to acclimate into society? Damien Echols spent most of the prison time in solitary confinement.

My hope is that there are good people around them to assist them without any pathological interferences. And that the investigation to who actually did this awful crime is continued.

Bluestar said:
Having spent so much time in prison, how are these men going to acclimate into society? Damien Echols spent most of the prison time in solitary confinement.
I thought about the same thing, I am glad they are released.
I don't know how you can reconstruct your life after spending so much time behind bars.
Let's hope they'll manage to do it.

It was also revealed that film director Peter Jackson and his girlfriend have spent the last 7 years paying the WM3's legal fees and the private investigators who's work led to their release - http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/peter-jackson-and-fran-walsh-to-reveal-financial-support-for-west-memphis-3-freedom-effort/

Heimdallr said:
It was also revealed that film director Peter Jackson and his girlfriend have spent the last 7 years paying the WM3's legal fees and the private investigators who's work led to their release - http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/peter-jackson-and-fran-walsh-to-reveal-financial-support-for-west-memphis-3-freedom-effort/

Wow that's pretty decent of them to do. Good for Peter and his girlfriend.

Tigersoap said:
Bluestar said:
I thought about the same thing, I am glad they are released.
I don't know how you can reconstruct your life after spending so much time behind bars.
Let's hope they'll manage to do it.

Yes, my thoughts were very similar. I hate the fact that the state made them sign that deal, so they can't sue the state for wrongful imprisonment. The justice system shows it's ugly side once again! :mad:

from article said:
After fighting for so many years, Echols said it wasn't difficult for him to come to the decision to agree to the plea deal.

But Baldwin said he only took the deal to rescue Echols from death row.

"This was not justice," Baldwin said. "In the beginning we told nothing but the truth -- that we were innocent and they sent us to prison for the rest of our lives for it. We had to come here and the only thing the state would do for us is say, 'Hey we will let you go only if you admit guilt,' and that is not justice anyway you look it. They're not out there trying to find who really murdered those boys, and I did not want to take the deal from the get-go. However, they are trying to kill Damien, and sometimes you just got to bite the gun to save somebody."

I really feel for those boys. Another thing that made me even more convinced of their innocence was that Baldwin's actions did not reflect the actions of a killer. He basically gave his rights up for his friend, not anyone would do that. :/

Back
Top Bottom