Ways of teaching people about psychopathy

durabone

Jedi Council Member
From http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,29210.15.html

We need to remember that, psychopaths and other personality disordered individuals really have no choice but to be what they are; they are like forces of nature. But normal human beings DO have a choice as to whether they will accept abuse or not. By accepting abuse, they give power to the psychopaths to abuse others so it is not just a matter of self-preservation; it is a matter of making sure that our children have a future. It seems that, in a world where the people cannot or will not, rise up against psychopathy in power, the Cosmos will do it for them, and take them out as well for their silence and their weakness. The bottom line is, nobody and no event is going to “save” anyone. It is only human beings, individually and collectively, who have the power to BE salvation.

Thank you for this compact statement Laura, and thank you again for "Petty Tyrants." Since I read that book, I have been augmenting my search for ways to convey the meaning of "psychopath" without using the jargon; some simple ways that are approachable by many. For example, yesterday. I was giving a toast, "Life's too short not to be nice!" and I saw one person's head cant at the statement. So I asked her after, "You know caring, paying attention, being attentive, did you ever know anyone who just doesn't get that?" "My sister!" she said. "She doesn't know the first thing about it, does she?" "No!" she answered, "Never has!" "What would it take for her to learn?" This set the woman back. Finally she said, "It's impossible!" To which I said, "Good thing she's not President."

This simple exchange may or may not have made a difference, but I am certain that one of the main tools psychopaths use to stay in business is hiding, and preventing those they exploit from learning the truth. (Brzezinski attacking Political Ponerology being a notable example.) Doing the work, increasing vigilance and awareness is a central way that individuals learn. Increasing a culture's vocabulary about psychology as described by Lobaczewski is another way, one that informs groups.

Is it a fair quest at all? Are there effective methods? Anyone want to kick it around, have any stories, are there any threads here?

THANKS!

[quote author=Potamus]
Are there effective methods?
[/quote]

Fwiw, seems to me that often people are undergoing the effects and don't have the language to understand what is going on. People will try, in the absence of direct understanding, to pull out the programs they've been taught; make nice, follow along (even though they don't want to), or directly argue at their peril etc. Passing along context from articles and books seems to help form new thinking. It is slow, incremental and requires feedback if possible. The few i've discussed these matters with have adapted somewhat from their old patterns in recognizing and dealing with these contacts. It still is difficult, but the understanding goes a long way to help protect - language is key, osit.

Thanks v;

make nice, follow along (even though they don't want to), or directly argue at their peril etc.

The one I hear a lot goes like this; "I don't want to judge." Delineating the difference between discernment and judgement isn't so easy, apparently.

Back
Top Bottom