UK Earthquake Tremor ?

Craig

Jedi Master
It's 1:01am. Anyone in UK just felt that tremor? Scared the heck out of me... never experienced it before.

Yeah, just felt it for about 3 seconds or so. I'm in Yorkshire, where are you? Didn't see any flashes.

R.

Being reported on Sky News; felt in Leicestershire, Bedfordshire and Norfolk... so all over really.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2008nyae.php#details

Magnitude 4.7
Date-Time

* Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 00:56:45 UTC
* Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 12:56:45 AM at epicenter

Location 53.321°N, 0.314°W
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
Distances 50 km (30 miles) S of Kingston upon Hull, England, UK
70 km (45 miles) NE of Nottingham, England, UK
80 km (50 miles) E of Sheffield, England, UK
205 km (125 miles) N of LONDON, United Kingdom
Epicentre west of Birmingham.

Just nodding off in bed when we thought the roof was falling in. Sounded like rubble falling down the chimney. I'm in South Yorkshire.

The British Geological Survey believe the quake was magnitude 5.1 with the epicentre close to Grimsby in north-east Lincolnshire.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7266136.stm

The biggest earthquake for nearly 20 years has been felt across large parts of England.

People from as far afield as London, Newcastle, Birmingham, Manchester, East Anglia and Yorkshire felt the tremor. It struck at about 0100 GMT and lasted for nearly 10 seconds but it is unclear if it has caused any damage.

The British Geological Survey said it believed the quake was of the magnitude of 5.1 and said the epicentre was close to Grimsby in north-east Lincolnshire.

A spokesman said it was the biggest earthquake to hit England since 1990 and could be of a level to cause minor damage to buildings.

The West Midlands was hit by an earthquake in 2002 in the Dudley area that reached a magnitude of 5.0 and caused damage to homes.

And last year an earthquake measuring 4.3 hit Folkstone in Kent, causing widespread damage.

Jemma Harrison, 22, in Bury, Greater Manchester, said: "It was really bad. I was fast asleep and woke up and the room was shaking and there was a loud bang and alarms were going off."

Natasha Cavey, in Tipton in the West Midlands, said: "All my cupboard doors flew open and the whole house shook, it was unreal. I can't believe it."

David Somerset, 41, from Driffield near Beverley in East Yorkshire, said: "I have never felt one as strong as that one before. I was in my sitting room and the grandfather clock was rattling rather violently.

"It was very strong, I felt the whole room moving."

I live in wakefield, west yorkshire and i felt it! felt like i was vibrating which was accompanied by a loud rumble! pretty scary. Never experienced like it in my life. There have been a few tremors over the years in the UK but this was pretty big by all accounts

I live in Leeds and I slept right through it! Feeling like I missed out!

Ben said:
Most relatives and friends I've spoken to slept through it also; some closer to the epicentre.

Ben said:
wasnt too pleasent an experience but glad i experienced it now looking back on it im usually a pretty heavy sleeper aswell so ive no idea why it woke me up but it felt quite powerful at the time. I work in Leeds and there were quite a few of my work friends felt it and quite a few who didnt so i guess it was pretty hit and miss

I didn't experience any of the effects of this earthquake as I was fast asleep in bed after a few drinks with a friend. However the following story caught my attention today, so I thought I'd post it with a link and ask if anyone else saw the unusual lightning at this time?

MYSTERIOUS types of lightning were seen by people in Louth during Wednesday's earthquake.
A woman in Westgate said she saw what she thought was ball lightning as the earthquake rumbled through Louth.

Elvira Witney said: "I experienced it at the exact time of the earthquake."

"This thing seemed to be coming across the room straight at me. I was very frightened."

Mrs Witney described it as a grapefruit-sized glowing sphere that went out like a light.

She saw it in her ground floor bedroom as she felt the earthquake but there was no damage to show where it had come from.

Ball lightning expert Dr Graham Hubler, of the United States Naval Research Laboratory, told us: "There have been reports of ball lightning associated with earth quakes. She probably saw ball lightning."

He said: "In some areas there are minerals in the earth that are piezoelectric. When the pressure is relieved the minerals can attain very high voltage that could act similar to lightning and create ball lightning."

He said there are not many reports of it passing through windows so he does not know how firm this observation is.

A second lightning sighting came from Jean Howard, of Tathwell, a curator at Louth Museum.

Mrs Howard said she saw a flash of lightning over the Wolds as the earthquake hit.

She said: "My initial thought as I'd just woken was that what I was hearing could be a thunder storm.

"As the rumbling and shaking continued I was quite aware it was an earthquake."

Mrs Howard could have seen a phenomenon known as Earthquake Light.

For centuries people have reported seeing flashes of light in the sky during earthquakes but these were not taken seriously until the 1960s when they were photographed in Japan.

The Lincolnshire earthquake happened just before 1am on Wednesday morning and measured 5.2 on the Richter Scale.

Scientists said its epicentre was near Market Rasen.
Link here:
http://www(dot)louthleader(dot)co(dot)uk/news/Mysterious-39lightning39-spotted-as-39quake.3831760.jp

And here's a link to everyone's faveourite video site showing a similar phenomena in Peru.

http://uk(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=SHmHsP1gd8I

Back
Top Bottom