UFO Over Anchorage

Vulcan59

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
Hi all,

A personal account of what I believe was an UFO. I was the pilot in a two pilot freighter operations out of Anchorage heading towards Macau. The aircraft was a modern B744-400 freighter, loaded full of cargo.

We took off quite late at night and as we reached our cruising altitude of 32000ft, I spotted what looked like a formation of fighter aircraft. It was very dark at that time and the flashing lights of the "UFO" were clearly visible. The "UFO" was slightly above us and towards the right of our aircraft. I called Air Traffic Control to tell them that I spotted an aircraft ahead of us and could they verify it on thier radar. The reply came back that there was no aircraft anywhere near our vicinity.

A normal aeroplane if one was to approach it head on at night, one would see double flash of white lights and one would also see a red and green flashing lights on the wings of the aircraft as it passed you( red flashing light on the left wing and green flashing light on the right wing). What was strange about this particular "aeroplane" was that it had flashing lights that look like what one would see in a discotheque!!! It had all manner of lights, orange, blue, red, green,etc.. and it was the blue and orange lights that made me first come to the realisation that it wasn't an aeroplane. At that time, I had heard of UFO's but never seen one.

I called the Air Traffic Controller again and this time I asked him if there was a weather balloon along our flight path. Again the answer was negative and infact a few minutes later the Controller helpfully suggested that it might be a "shooting star". Well I see lots of shooting stars and this wasn't one for sure. The object eventually passed slightly above and to the right of us. Infact it seemed to me that it was actually stationary although at first it looked like it was moving towards us. I had a good look at it as we passed the object which was above and to our right. Eventually it passed behind us till I couldn't see it anymore. There was another aircraft about 10 mins behind us that reported seeing the same object since I could hear the pilot asking the Air Traffic Controller the same questions that I had ask a few minutes earlier.

The date of the observation?? It was 12/12/1997. I have never since then seen anything like it. My problems started quite soon after that sighting but that is another story.

Cheers.

You might want to visit my website and view the Doppler radar scans of unusual rings a few hours prior to my sighting. www.softspotopening.com

Don

A few weeks ago I was on a flight across Europe, and I spotted something while flying somewhere over Germany at the time. It was the middle of the day, and I had observed quite stunning views of the channel and the northern coast of France, with the sun reflecting off the sea leaving the contour of the coast. I've often noticed other planes when flying before, but certainly Ive never seen a UFO before. Anyway, I witnessed an object moving in the opposite direction to the one our plane was travelling in, and slightly at an angle. I cannot say this was definitely a UFO, I guess it could well have been a plane. I was unable to get a good feel for the shape of this object, it appeared a kind of silver color and the reflection/glare off the surface was bright enough for me not to be able to discern any give-away features (ie. wings, tail fin etc.). Then it occurred to me that there were no vapour trails being created by this object, this struck me as strange because if it was a plane I would have expected to see these at that altitude (cruising altitude, ~ 30,000 feet I'm guessing). This object appeared at a similar altitude, perhaps slightly lower than our plane, and it might have passed about a mile away but this is a bit of wild guess. Are there any occasions when you would NOT expect vapour trails from a plane at that altitude?

John

Lotus said:
Are there any occasions when you would NOT expect vapour trails from a plane at that altitude?
John
Hi lotus,

Yes it is possible and quite often that you do not see the contrails behind an aircraft. Have a look at the article here
Contrails to get an understanding. Basically if the conditions are not right, you won't see any contrails.

Cheers.

Hi,

thanks very much, that's kind of what I was expecting, but wasn't entirely sure. I guess I'll never know whether what I saw was a UFO or just an ordinary plane.

John

Back
Top Bottom