Udderly Smooth

I hve had horrendous eczema on my hands for a year. The dermatologist thinks its contact dermititis, however I think (when I first started work 2 weeks before the dryness started) that I stripped my hands somehow using all this alcohol sanitizer and repetitive handwashing bc of an H1N1 break out. Anyways, he gave me hydrocortisone cream, a strong one that works temporarily but I have been trying to get off of it. I've bought sooooo many creams and oil, wear cotton gloves, wash hands sparingly with soap free natural bars. So anyways someone I highly respect suggested a product called udderly smooth, and so I'm trying it now. WOW. The least expensive jar of moisturizer yet is turning out to be very impressive. Non oily, it, unlike everything else thus far, does not sting my dry cracks whatsoever and in fact feels wonderfully nourishing! My hands after only one day look better and feel soooo much better! I'm very optimistic. This cream was developed originally for cows, to help with dry cracked udders I believe. I will keep you posted.

hi chachazoom

Could you post all ingredients of this cream ?
I am not an expert but I started to read product descriptions and ingredients so I am curious which part of this cream might be that could :)

I too remember years ago when a coworker had suggested I use the udder cream on my hands because they were very dry and the stuff did seem to work quite well. She had explained to me that the main purpose was for use on cow udders but that it works on dry hands also. After reading about some of the ingredients in this product I would have to say it is the Allantoin that is the beneficial (and main) ingredient.

These are the ingredients that I found listed on this product, Contains: Allantoin, Dimethicone, Lanolin Oil and Propylene Glycol In An Emollient Base.

And this is what Wikipedia had to say about Allantoin,
Wikipedia said:
Allantoin is a chemical compound with formula C4H6N4O3. It is also called 5-ureidohydantoin or glyoxyldiureide or udder cream. It is a diureide of glyoxylic acid.

Named after the allantois, an amniote embryonic excretory organ in which it concentrates during development in most mammals except humans and higher apes, it is a product of oxidation of uric acid by purine catabolism. After birth, it is the predominant means by which nitrogenous waste is excreted in the urine of these animals.[2] In humans and higher apes, the metabolic pathway for conversion of uric acid to allantoin is not present, so the former is excreted. Recombinant rasburicase is sometimes used as a drug to catalyze this metabolic conversion in patients. In fish, allantoin is broken down further (into ammonia) before excretion.[3] Allantoin is a major metabolic intermediate in many other organisms including plants and bacteria

Applications: Allantoin is present in botanical extracts of the comfrey plant and urine from cows and most mammals. Chemically synthesized bulk allantoin is nature-identical, safe, non-toxic, compatible with cosmetic raw materials and meets CTFA and JSCI requirements.[4] Over 10,000 patents reference allantoin. [5] Manufacturers cite several beneficial effects for allantoin as an active ingredient in over-the-counter cosmetics: a moisturizing and keratolytic effect, increasing the water content of the extracellular matrix and enhancing the desquamation of upper layers of dead skin cells, increasing the smoothness of the skin; promoting cell proliferation and wound healing; and a soothing, anti-irritant, and skin protectant effect by forming complexes with irritant and sensitizing agents.[6] It is frequently present in toothpaste, mouthwash, and other oral hygiene products, in shampoos, lipsticks, anti-acne products, sun care products, and clarifying lotions, various cosmetic lotions and creams, and other cosmetic and pharmaceutical products.
I had no idea they used stuff like this in toothpaste and mouthwash. :shock:

Dimethicone is apparently some kind of silicone oil with many uses as well,
Wikipedia said:
Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) belongs to a group of polymeric organosilicon compounds that are commonly referred to as silicones.[1] PDMS is the most widely used silicon-based organic polymer, and is particularly known for its unusual rheological (or flow) properties. PDMS is optically clear, and, in general, is considered to be inert, non-toxic and non-flammable. It is occasionally called dimethicone and is one of several types of silicone oil (polymerized siloxane). Its applications range from contact lenses and medical devices to elastomers; it is present, also, in shampoos (as dimethicone makes hair shiny and slippery), caulking, lubricating oils, and heat-resistant tiles.

Lanolin oil is basically natural so I went right on to the propylene glycol. It seems that propylene glycol is some sort of organic compound that is used as mostly a biodegradable antifreeze. I guess its in the cream to keep it from hardening? It has numerous uses from the pharmaceutical industry to health care and beauty products and even to keeping machinery cool when operating. There were too many to list.

As for the safety of using these chemicals, I'm no expert either but I'd have to say its the lesser of two evils compared to other lotions and creams on the market and it does work very well.

Thanks for info pete02.

As for the safety of using these chemicals, I'm no expert either but I'd have to say its the lesser of two evils compared to other lotions and creams on the market and it does work very well.

Totally agree , at least it does not contain all those sodium laureth , -parabens , triclosan and other nasty stuff in it.

I wonder what this Dimethicone really does. :huh:

drygol said:
Thanks for info pete02.

Totally agree , at least it does not contain all those sodium laureth , -parabens , triclosan and other nasty stuff in it.

I wonder what this Dimethicone really does. :huh:

Propylene Glycol is in anti-freeze and processed foods. While it may be from a natural source, so is arsenic and we know that is not good for you. Often chemicals like that will be from some kind of oil industry by-product which then it is processed and sterilized. Same with mineral oil. It is natural but it is by-product of the oil industry. Kind of like how some food companies take the meat processing plant scraps off the floor, clean it up, sterilize and then sell it to McDonald's to make hamburgers. Dimethicone (a by-product of the oil industry) is a silicone that does nothing to moisturize or heal the skin. It merely coats the skin so when you feel your skin or hair it feels smooth so you think the product is working. Allantoin is a good ingredient but I am sure there are other natural skin products that have it higher up on the ingredient list so the amount in the product would be beneficial.

Here is the full ingredient list:

Deionized water, stearic acid, Peg-2 Stearate, propylene glycol, isopropyl myristate, dimethicone, lanolin oil, mineral oil, triethanolamine, allantoin, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance

The allantoin is the ingredient before the preservatives so there is only small bit of it it in there which provides no benefit. So you are paying a premium price for a specialty item that does nothing due to the small amount.

The first three ingredients of a product is what makes the most of the product. Water is usually 80 percent of it and is listed as the first ingredient, the second two ingredients are what makes the most of the remaining product list so anything after that is a tiny amount. Lanolin oil is far enough down the ingredient list to be a negligible amount. You see this in a lot of the mainstream brands like Suave and Pantene. They claim to have "natural ingredients" that feed the skin but they only put a drop of it in.

Another thing to consider is that more than likely with that ingredient list, a large parent corporation like Proctor and Gamble or Unilever bought the company. Much how it is with organic food. Hain Celestial was bought out by Kellog. Burt's Bees is now owned by Clorox.

It happens in the skin care and hair care industry too. I peruse the ingredient lists and can often identify who owns it before even looking at the manufacturer. Pantene is owned by a big parent company and recently bought Herbal Essences and now the ingredient list is almost the same but with just difference scents and what is called "glamour ingredients" in the industry. Go to the haircare and skin care line and read all of the manufacturers in the back of the bottles and it all boils down to about three to four companies. None is better than the other. They just trick you into paying more for a concentrated specialty item.

This line from the website about the company that makes Udderly Smooth:

"Manufactured under the direct guidance of Bill Kennedy, CEO and Registered Pharmacist"

This indicates to me that the original founding and operating family no longer owns it and Bill Kennedy "guides it". They do this so people will still use the product because they think the original owner still has a hand in the formulation and manufacturing so it must be an honest good for you product. It is on paper only usually.

* edited for additional information, clarity and some typos :)*

I finally became so frustrated trying to find skin care products without nasty chemicals, that I began using coconut oil as a moisturizer and makeup remover. It feels great and it is cheap, relative to most products.

I also recently tried mixing some Vitamin E oil with fresh Aloe Vera (I have two large plants as it is easy to grow). I put this on my hands at night - I am noticing that it seems to work better than the coconut oil as my hands are smoother and retain much more moisture.

Aleana

I've tried vit E aloe, doesn't compare (for me) to this stuff. I do the test. If it stings there's crap in it and every product (with the exception of 1 from the health food store where I purchased many, and it was soothing but not healing) and E oil which did little and made a mess everywhere, THIS does not sting. To clarify I get the one in a jar that says udderly smooth shea butter foot cream.

Here are the ingredients.
deionized water, stearic acid, peg 2 stearate, proplylene glycol isopropl myristate, dimethicone, lanolin oil, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) triethanolamine, , allantoin, methyparaben, proplparaben, fragrence

I almost didnt buy because of the fragrance. I thought for sure it would irritate but no (tried coconut oil, even ate some for thyroid)

Today hands so much better. Discolouration still here but cracks almost healed, inflamation done 70% and continueing. Just bought 3 more jars.

chachazoom said:
I've tried vit E aloe, doesn't compare (for me) to this stuff. I do the test. If it stings there's crap in it and every product (with the exception of 1 from the health food store where I purchased many, and it was soothing but not healing) and E oil which did little and made a mess everywhere, THIS does not sting. To clarify I get the one in a jar that says udderly smooth shea butter foot cream.

Here are the ingredients.
deionized water, stearic acid, peg 2 stearate, proplylene glycol isopropl myristate, dimethicone, lanolin oil, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) triethanolamine, , allantoin, methyparaben, proplparaben, fragrence

I almost didnt buy because of the fragrance. I thought for sure it would irritate but no (tried coconut oil, even ate some for thyroid)

Today hands so much better. Discolouration still here but cracks almost healed, inflamation done 70% and continueing. Just bought 3 more jars.

The shea butter in the product above is very low on the ingredient list so it would be better to get plain shea butter. Shea butter is excellent for eczema most especially if it is unrefined. I have very dry skin and aloe is not quite moisturizing for me either but shea butter works very well without being greasy. I have had success and love this product (I use it as a lip balm and hand moisturizer):

_http://www.alaffia.com/index.php/shea-butter/handcrafted-shea-butter-unscented

A little bit goes a long way and it is plain shea butter. I also really like this product of theirs and it is a bit cheaper than the plain shea butter:

_http://www.alaffia.com/index.php/body-care/creams-balms/shea-butter-blissful-baby-balm

Alaffia also makes Everyday Shea which is very very economical. I have used their unscented body lotion and it is not greasy:

_http://www.everydayshea.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1&idcategory=

You can also get whipped shea butter which is not as greasy.

Just so ya'll know, I looked up the udderly smooth 12oz jar on Amazon.com and those were the only ingredients listed as far as info went and as April pointed out Allantoin was the first ingredient listed so I assumed that was the majority of the product was allantoin. If the same product in fact lists all those other ingredients then I find that very misleading of Amazon to only show a few ingredients and not what's entirely in the jar. :mad:

Thanks for clearing that up and I'm also guessing that its not the same udder cream I used years ago either.

Pete02 said:
Just so ya'll know, I looked up the udderly smooth 12oz jar on Amazon.com and those were the only ingredients listed as far as info went and as April pointed out Allantoin was the first ingredient listed. So I assumed that was the majority of the product was allantoin. If the same product in fact lists all those other ingredients then I find that very misleading of Amazon to only show a few ingredients and not what's entirely in the jar. :mad:

Thanks for clearing that up and I'm also guessing that its not the same udder cream I used years ago either.

I have found that the ingredient lists on products on Amazon.com are not full disclosure for some reason. Lazy Amazon :P On the Udderly Smooth website, Allantoin is listed fourth to the last and right before the preservatives methylparaben and propylparaben. When the Allantoin is listed that far down the ingredient list, the amount in the product is negligible and has no benefit. To have any benefit it must be the 2nd, 3rd or 4th ingredient (water is usually the first).

A trick to allow oils like grapeseed, olive oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, vitamin E oil, etc. to absorb into the skin and not remain on the surface which cause the oil slick everywhere thing is to:

Wash your hands with warm water then shake off the excess water but do not towel dry. Place a few drops (or more, just experiment) into your palm then work the water and oil all over until it is absorbed. No greasiness will sit on top of your skin if you do it this way. The oil will also seal in the moisture. Dimethicone (or any other silicone) does this in the products but it does not let the skin breath very well. Natural plant oils are better for this. Raw, unprocessed virgin coconut oil is a wonderful skin moisturizer and lip balm. Yum!

Here is information on Shea Butter: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shea_butter

"Medicinal

Shea butter is used as a base for medicinal ointments, and has been claimed to have anti-inflammatory properties emollient and humectant.[2]

Shea butter has been claimed to be effective treatment for the following conditions: fading scars, eczema, burns, rashes, severely dry skin, dark spots, skin discolorations, chapped lips, stretchmarks, wrinkles, and in lessening the irritation of psoriasis.[citation needed]

Shea butter has been used as a sunblocking lotion, although the level of protection against the sun's ultraviolet radiation is extremely variable, ranging from nothing to approximately SPF 6.[citation needed] However, studies have shown it to reduce the effects of UV damage on the skin. [3]

In Nigeria, shea butter (popularly called 'Ori' in the Yoruba lingua) is used for the management of sinusitis and relief of nasal congestion.[4] This is due to its hydrating properties which helps in relaxing the tension in the face skin thus easing respiration."

Here is a link to make your own lotion:

_http://www.growingstrong.org/herbal/lotion.html

interesting....the one thing I couldnt get was pure shea butter. (virgin coconut oil didnt help) I will do a test and see if it is the shea butter. And btw, udderly smooth is THEE least expensive product I have purchased yet! I've paid more for a bar of soap! Thanks for all the great info!

It's truly annoying how companies mislead people about the actual ingredients in their products. As with everything, we have to investigate for ourselves.

One thing about eczema and psoriasis is that many people have found their symptoms disappear when they clean up their diet. Inflammatory foods like gluten and dairy are very often a big factor in skin problems.

In addition to all the great tips that April has suggested, there are several essential oils that are reputed to help eczema - especially German Chamomile (used to treat burns and skin irritation) and Lavender also. You can add them to a base oil blend such as jojoba. Jojoba is great because it doesn't require refrigeration and has a long shelf life. You can blend some very rich oils, such as Borage oil which is very high in Gamma-linolenic acid, and Evening Primrose oil (also good for healing), with the base oil, (maybe 10% of the blend) and add a few drops of the Essential oils and it should work pretty well as a healing moisturizer. Personally I use Apricot Kernel oil (organic) which dries quickly and is not greasy.

Regarding the soaps, I would recommend an all natural soap such as castile, which would only contain olive oil, or be at least 90% olive oil. A natural hand made soap should not be harsh at all, as the saponification process that turns the oils into soap essentially removes all lye from the final bars.

thanks for clearing that up for us April :)

methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance

These guys above are definitely not good for people , plus who knows what chemical stuff is put as a 'fragrance'.

manitoban said:
One thing about eczema and psoriasis is that many people have found their symptoms disappear when they clean up their diet. Inflammatory foods like gluten and dairy are very often a big factor in skin problems.

I've noticed this has been the case for me. I've had psoriasis on my legs and head for years, and would occasionally break out with eczema on my hands. It disappeared shortly after getting on the diet. It was noted on another thread that the skin is tries to flush out toxins when the colon and gut isn't in good shape. Doing regular coffee enemas does wonders for the skin too.

Another good one for anyone interested is 100% pure Royal Jelly mixed with a little organic sesame oil.
This dries quickly and feels almost like a second skin, so is best used at night and alone, especially on your face.
It not only softens, but seems to rejuvinate the skin as well. Just rinse off in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom