Type A's, Nightshades & Soaking Potatoes

JonnyRadar

The Living Force
So, as a blood type A-, I've been avoiding nightshades. After I did the elimination diet, I noticed reactions to all nightshades, so I cut them out. However, I recently had some potatoes, and noticed they didn't have any effect on me - no inflammation, no upset stomach, etc... I found out later they were soaked to remove the starch. I found out after some searching that soaking potatoes also reduces Acrylamide, a byproduct of cooking starch...

So I'm curious because I don't know if the soaking does anything to remove/reduce the lectins in potatoes, or whether the lectins are connected to/same as the starches? Perhaps the whole question isn't worth it and I should let go of potatoes just like cheese... :cry:

You might find that if you have potatoes frequently, you may start to have reactions to them. Best to rotate them with other foods, eating them once a week. If you cook them on a pressure cooker, it will diminish the amount of lectins in the potatoes. This lectin business is really difficult to avoid, but at least there are still yummy friendlier foods.

Psyche said:
You might find that if you have potatoes frequently, you may start to have reactions to them. Best to rotate them with other foods, eating them once a week. If you cook them on a pressure cooker, it will diminish the amount of lectins in the potatoes. This lectin business is really difficult to avoid, but at least there are still yummy friendlier foods.

Thanks Psyche. :) I had wondered about that. I haven't been eating them regularly, just a couple times since I discovered the soaking business. Fortunately they're not a staple for me, I'm getting pretty used to the blood type A diet just on it's own, minus dairy and wheat.

I just switched from regular red/russet potatoes to yams or sweet potatoes. I was having what felt like blood sugar spikes after eating potato meals and so far I've been able to avoid this feeling with sweet potatoes. Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

I've never tried soaking potatoes, although I soak legumes and almonds. I should probably soak my rice too, although I often forget. From what psyche said, the pressure cooker sounds like a good idea. Faster cooking time too! :)

I can eat potatoes occasionally, but as Psyche points out, if I eat them say, three days in a row, or every other day for a week, I start reacting. So, I leave them alone except once in awhile for a treat.

I can eat potatoes occasionally, but as Psyche points out, if I eat them say, three days in a row, or every other day for a week, I start reacting. So, I leave them alone except once in awhile for a treat.

I've had to be cautious with them as they would metabolize so quickly. The effects of feeling the spike that they brought on as if a bit drunk. On occasion I will eat the skin of baked potato and dump the white meat of it, with little problem.

Im blood type A too...I dont like potatoes at all...but whats the basis for 'avoiding nightshades' and 'minus dairy and wheat'?
The nightshade family includes tomato, capsicum peppers, tobacco as well, I love them :(
and I become vegetarian since last Sept, dairy is not for me anymore but wheat/grain/soybeans are my favorite...

Hi buzzzzzzz,

Welcome to the forum. :) We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, and how they found their way here. Have a read through that section to get an idea of how others have done it. Thanks.

buzzzzzzz said:
Im blood type A too...I dont like potatoes at all...but whats the basis for 'avoiding nightshades' and 'minus dairy and wheat'?
The nightshade family includes tomato, capsicum peppers, tobacco as well, I love them :(
and I become vegetarian since last Sept, dairy is not for me anymore but wheat/grain/soybeans are my favorite...

Many people have reactions to nightshades. And going gluetin-free is part of the detox program recommended here.

Psyche said:
This lectin business is really difficult to avoid, but at least there are still yummy friendlier foods.

I've been reading about this 'lectin business' in various threads lately. Sorry if this is obvious, but is there some thread, post, book or article that I could read to get up to speed with this? Have I understood correctly that legumes and rice should be avoided?

Aragorn said:
Psyche said:
This lectin business is really difficult to avoid, but at least there are still yummy friendlier foods.

I've been reading about this 'lectin business' in various threads lately. Sorry if this is obvious, but is there some thread, post, book or article that I could read to get up to speed with this? Have I understood correctly that legumes and rice should be avoided?

I don't think they need to be avoided outright, Aragorn, but they need to be tested to see if you're reacting to them. I think it was generally assumed before that rice and legumes were "safe" foods that no one would react to. But with some of the research that Laura and Psyche (I believe) have done they've found that there are many people who still react to the lectins in these foods.

dugdeep said:
Aragorn said:
Psyche said:

I don't think they need to be avoided outright, Aragorn, but they need to be tested to see if you're reacting to them. I think it was generally assumed before that rice and legumes were "safe" foods that no one would react to. But with some of the research that Laura and Psyche (I believe) have done they've found that there are many people who still react to the lectins in these foods.

Yes, if you go on the Ultra Simple Diet for a while, then reintroduce those foods and see if you have a reaction to them.

Back
Top Bottom