The World's Fair

When you’re working at the top of an unfinished skyscraper and it gets to lunch time, I can’t imagine you’re gonna make your way all the way down to the ground just to eat your lunch. How much time would that take?

If you’re used to working at height, eating lunch up there isn’t going to be an issue. If you watch videos of how they walked around up there while they were working, then the picture of them eating lunch isn’t unbelievable at all.

Yes, nothing unbelievable about that. In fact, quite the opposite: it is exactly what you would expect.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. People at different times in history frequently seem to have been able to do things in amounts of time that seem “unbelievable“ to us, from our viewpoint today. There are many possible (down to earth) reasons for that.

1: There was less bureaucracy/regulations/rules/paperwork,

2: People were sometimes motivated and eager to do/build things with a passionate drive that is often lacking nowadays (out of religious passion for example),

3: workers attitude and rights were different,

4: Sometimes huge amounts of people were assigned to build something,

5: When your and your families life REALLY depend on you doing the job, the general motivation standard of the average worker was probably quite different from today,

6: People in the past seem to have been physically very strong and enduring compared to us, maybe because, generally speaking, life circumstances were quite a bit harder then today,

Also, we can see similar phenomena today:

- People who are doing a job from an early age, for many years, develop strengths, abilities and expertise in that field of work, that seem unbelievable to someone not having had that training/experience/experience

- Western people are frequently amazed how people in the east can build/organize/finish large scale projects in a matter of days/weeks/months. Projects that would take the average western country years and even decades to finish. Examples of that are the large scale hospitals the Chinese build in a matter of days at the beginning of Covid or the Japanese rebuilding a complete intersection over night, after it collapsed into a sinkhole.
While looking for "New" Norte Dame design ( it looks they decided to go back to the old design by popular demand) , I came across quote of the chief architect
For Philippe Villeneuve, Notre-Dame’s chief architect, the past years have proved immensely satisfying and, at times, painfully frustrating.

We’re living in a society that is scared of everything,” he says. “We have moved very far away from the daring of the tradesmen who built churches like this over the centuries without engineers, supervisory boards and insurance companies. We can no longer do some of the things they did, and I regret that.” The decision not to rehang the massive “crown of light” chandelier designed in the gothic style by Viollet-le-Duc will remain his biggest disappointment. “I wanted a full restoration,” Villeneuve says. “The clergy has decided against this and I don’t understand why. That’s my biggest regret.” (The chandelier is now in the Basilica of Saint-Denis.)

When you’re working at the top of an unfinished skyscraper and it gets to lunch time, I can’t imagine you’re gonna make your way all the way down to the ground just to eat your lunch. How much time would that take?

If you’re used to working at height, eating lunch up there isn’t going to be an issue. If you watch videos of how they walked around up there while they were working, then the picture of them eating lunch isn’t unbelievable at all.
Yep! A boss I had had worked in Alaska on a construction site. The guys up at the top of a skyscraper they were building were working when that big earthquake hit in the 60s'. He said he couldn't believe it, they were hanging onto beams yelling "Eehah" "Woohoo" etc. as they rode out the earthquake up there. When it was over, they just went back to work.

Last edited:
There was so much destructive elements in the 1800s, wars, poverty etc and yet the accomplishments and the speed of those accomplishments are beyond astonishing. What really caught me was nearly everything big today started then, including all the major sports.

Something else was also happening in the world at that time - the exit from the Little Ice Age.

Recently we made an isotopic composition of Lake Baikal. It turned out that the water that is now in Baikal is not the same that is falling out of the atmosphere now, it is lighter. This is water from the past - the Little Ice Age. It began around the 11th–13th centuries, in different ways in all regions. It was then that the Dutch invented ice skates. And it ended in the 1860s and 1870s. The water that is now in Baikal turns out to be from that period. Intensive water renewal began in the 1920s. (...)

Until 1870, the Russian Academy of Sciences said that the Kara Sea is an “ice cellar”; navigation in it is impossible due to the fact that it is clogged with ice all year round. Ten years later, shipping in the Kara Sea reached its maximum! The ice disappeared completely in the summer. In other words, the restructuring process is happening very quickly. And it also goes in the opposite direction.

It wouldn't be the first time in human history that amazing things are being built during the warm period.

Global-Temperature-2500BC-2015-768x560.jpg

Absolutely, Persej! The weather totally factors in. The graph shows the inverted peak around 1600 and I would think food insecurity was a major issue at least 50-75 years on either side of that. You don’t expand your empire or build amazing stuff if people are starving. For me this only further complicates the legitimacy of the timeline of events we are given

Back
Top Bottom