The Wave III (Web Page) being corrupted while downloading...

ChrisK

A Disturbance in the Force
Hello all,

I started reading the Wave series on the cassiopaea website again, but when I tried to read the chapter 3 (http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/wave_iii.htm)
it goes fine until it reaches a point where it all become gibberish.

I know that my connection is pretty baaaaaaaad to say the least (shared dial-up) but I never came by an HTML document being corrupted that way.
I usually can or cannot download the document at all, or if incomplete, it just does not finish downloading and the document ends abruptly, but I never seen
such corruption of data. I emptied my cache/history/cookies/etc, restart firefox, but still the gibberish is there and is the same...

it does not change from a loading to the next...

Here is a short example of what I see:

--------------SNIP-----------------
"This is an example of one of the ways in which the adventure can begin. A blunder - apparently the merest chance - reveals an unsuspected world, and the individual is drawn into a relationship with forces that are not rightly understood. The blunder may amount to the opening of a destiny. Thus it happens, in this fairy tale, that the disappearance of the ball is the first sign of something coming for the princess, the frog is the second, and the unconsidered promise is the third. ...The frog, the little dragon, is the nursery counterpart of the underworld serpent whose hed supports the earth and who represents the life-progenitive, demiurgic powers of the abyss." [Campbell, 1949]

How does this relate to our subject?

"The herald or announcer of the adventure, therefore, is often dark, loathrotocol. STS "erHelvetie un ="2">Ap>

fred, ty s thsomeobccer of the adc uot;TFI, as a p me b or ann(becamfred, ty he belvetica, person...

of thecussrk, oA) who o ou any"oce="Verdd

mythical archetypes. Joseph Campbell writathrotocirass. T to mattei.jnt>"This is an example of one of the wayour thi rights you, old Wans-seri chad coot; gt face=yVe od the often dark, lces that othoTg down d the oain; hWans-d Wat vio d e as givilveerif"t mnot eT of a lovsize=L swiml to ysicase to possesslot beat us g

st ushlvestaowt "e she was lamenting in this way, she heard someone call to her: 'What is the mceo itetica, c

she waEodo"Verdana, Arl, Hthis way, she heard someone call to her: 'What is the mceo itetica, c

A isutetic d the oainhearrrHelvetie g

'we arf" si nas Aribhew one note="2cesse>b="2">Q: he cou sanehe fron, 'take me along; I can't run like you.' but what good did it do, thor little golden plate, dring from your little cup, sleep in your little bed: if youirable should TS mod gLhety Hth tha',' but Tp n, smlittle cup,e yont>< crosame lont>
t.oetia fac n,along; lk or the skingleep innismtrnfuye along; I ccpslot beat u Aple e a,h t. and aetn; hot, nto nothing? No thought, no want, no do, no be, no anything!
--------------SNIP-----------------

Is there a problem with the site ? or with my connection ?

--Chris

I think there must be a problem with your connection because when I load the page, there's nothing wrong with it.

Same here. There is no problem loading the page. Everything is fine.

ahh good, well I will have to try to get a better connection then.

Thank you anyway :)

--Chris

You can try using different browsers - or update your browser to the latest version (try Firefox 3). Else you could always go to an internet cafe or a library and print it out there.

well I AM using Firefox 3, but I also tried IE 7 without change...
I cleaned my cache (many times) checked for virii (avast home, found plenty, gulp?!)
and checked for spyware (spybot s&d, found none...)
Tried reboot the computer, when loading that very same page again, the very same corruption
of the text happens. I don't know where that can come from.
I am usually tech savvy and know a good bit of html, but never heard about actual text corruption,
especially when it is not random, but the very same corruption that occurs...

I'm puzzled, anyway thanks for your help.

I put this issue in a technical forum as it has nothing to do here :)

--Chris

Back
Top Bottom