The Infamous NASA Tether Incident

Well the whole "out of focus tumbling debris field is a mass of UFOs" explanation is pretty bogus OSIT, but the simple fact that the tether broke at all is by far the more interesting factoid.

Hoagland had written up a bunch of stuff about this when it happened. (Not that he is the ultimate guru of phenomena, but his write up at least made me think - unlike the bozo on this video...)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tether+site%3Aenterprisemission.com

Wow! I'm not sure which is the more surprising. An experiment about free energy that suddenly and inexplicably gets an energy surge, or what appears to be UFOs being explained by NASA as 'dust bunnies' and 'space junk'.

But no, as I looked up Wikipedia, there is something even more suprising... a hoax perpetrated by someone called Pierre Kohler which just seems to 'pop out of nowhere'. Just like that! I wonder what the odds of that are?! A little too convenient, or so it seems... Perhaps this is what they do, when people start asking too many pertinent questions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-75
STS-75 also was the first use of Linux operating system on orbit. An older Digital Unix program, originally on DEC Alpha servers, was ported to run on Linux on a laptop. The next use of Linux was a year later, on STS-83. [1]

In addition many video tapes of the broken tether have apparent UFO sightings in them. These supposed "sightings" have been dismissed by NASA as dust bunnies and other space junk. [2]

STS-75 was the shuttle mission described in the fictional NASA Document 12-571-3570, written by astronomer and scientific writer Pierre Kohler. This hoax document reports of experiments to determine effective sexual positions in zero gravity. Although the document describes heterosexual sex, all crew members aboard STS-75 were male.

Ruth said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-75
STS-75 also was the first use of Linux operating system on orbit. An older Digital Unix program, originally on DEC Alpha servers, was ported to run on Linux on a laptop. The next use of Linux was a year later, on STS-83. [1]

In addition many video tapes of the broken tether have apparent UFO sightings in them. These supposed "sightings" have been dismissed by NASA as dust bunnies and other space junk. [2]

STS-75 was the shuttle mission described in the fictional NASA Document 12-571-3570, written by astronomer and scientific writer Pierre Kohler. This hoax document reports of experiments to determine effective sexual positions in zero gravity. Although the document describes heterosexual sex, all crew members aboard STS-75 were male.
Well... you don't need to have actual heterosexual sex to "determine effective sexual positions in zero gravity". Being curious, fully clothed and willing to "get up close and personal" with a co-worker would also do... Now perhaps the ("hoax") document makes claims that actual sex occurred but this could be simply cointel to cover up the reality that there are people in NASA who are curious about such things and willing to run some "informal experiments".

The average Joe and Jane taxpayer might have certain sensitivities about this...

Also, technically it is not "free" energy. The energy extracted from the tether is removed from the potential energy of the Shuttle (i.e. the orbit of the shuttle gets lower). This is why adding energy to the tether boosts the orbit. In this latter case the energy added comes from solar cells. In the former case where you are generating power, you are really recouping power expended during the boost phase that put the Shuttle in orbit to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom