The Ice Age Cometh! Forget Global Warming!

Meanwhile here in QC, snow cover is at 10-20% usual depths, barely 1 feet when we'd usually already have 6+. 30 years ago, a river close by would be covered by ice thick enough to cross by snowmobile by mid-november, early december at the latest, every year. It looks like it won't freeze over this year, that'd be the second time in 6 years.

Aftermath of snowfall in Athens (Greece) 02/16/2021:

athens_snow_ap-768x480.jpg

The guy is skiing not far from the Acropolis

snow_maroussi_intime-768x480.jpg

756134861475400.jpg

756134862931024.jpg

756134864274433.jpg

756134865926583.jpg

Aftermath of snowfall in Athens (Greece) 02/16/2021:

athens_snow_ap-768x480.jpg

The guy is skiing not far from the Acropolis

snow_maroussi_intime-768x480.jpg

756134861475400.jpg

756134862931024.jpg

756134864274433.jpg

756134865926583.jpg

These pictures are absolutely stunning and historic, I think.

In areas unaccustomed to cold...

They probably rely on electricity, as cold is so uncommon the infrastructure is not built for it. So, the temperature drops, and everyone plugs in their space heaters, turns on the electric ranges, ect. and we have a power crisis real quick.

It's a easy problem to diagnose. But, they have to deal with it real quick.

One thing I do is curtain off areas of the house that don't need heat with plastic - the clear kind you buy at the store in rolls. I have a room and a entryway that are curtained off and it helps. And, of course the windows.

We have year round greenhouses that operate because they are well insulated with two layers of plastic with air blown between the two.

Anyway, that could help make the most of heat in a crisis, and it is a fast method.

In areas unaccustomed to cold...

They probably rely on electricity, as cold is so uncommon the infrastructure is not built for it. So, the temperature drops, and everyone plugs in their space heaters, turns on the electric ranges, ect. and we have a power crisis real quick.

It's a easy problem to diagnose. But, they have to deal with it real quick.

One thing I do is curtain off areas of the house that don't need heat with plastic - the clear kind you buy at the store in rolls. I have a room and a entryway that are curtained off and it helps. And, of course the windows.

We have year round greenhouses that operate because they are well insulated with two layers of plastic with air blown between the two.

Anyway, that could help make the most of heat in a crisis, and it is a fast method.

Indeed, it's not so much that they use electricity for heating, but that every aspect of the infrastructure is evolved from standard weather assumptions that are no longer reliable. The houses are not insulated, so they are energy sinks for heating, and that is probably the biggest factor. Next is the distributed logistical factor, not having a well-oiled winter management system with a wide array of well-deployed WSVs (Winter Service Vehicles, plowing, blowing, loading, de-icing, and so on), and then that is multiplied by inadequately equipped/trained utilities, service pickups without chain tyres, drivers who barely know how to deal with snow skidding, etc, who'll are therefore unable to maintain their respective services. Weak pole/transformer/cable attachment designs that cannot bear a full snow load, nevermind the freezing rain. These are all things that the northernmost states have been practicing at least a bit, but Texas had no way to prepare.

Hopefully this serves as a cold shower, literally :P

These pictures are absolutely stunning and historic, I think.

Incredible !

that is indeed a lot of snow. I haven’t been aware of what happened in Greece, only in the periphery without really checking any photos.

I am however surprized it doesn’t happen more often. The weather patterns, the geography of Greece and Turkey as well the relative closeness to the Russian Continent this time of the year - makes it favorable for sudden snow attacks.

Cyclogenesis over the Aegean Sea

I remember this has happened before in the past 10-13 years in Greece, including Athens, where even the island of Crete got some snow.

But my memory is fuzzy about the details which year it was. I think it was either the end of February, or beginning of march.

Even Antalya at the south coast of Turkey got snow, and that had not happened in at least 50 years.

Vast Ocean of cold air
peaking in the beginning of March

In February-beginning of March, the northern hemisphere reaches its peak in coldness and geographical expans.

It only needs a little twist to make ice cold air stream down over Greece for example.

Often a strong stream on warm air is pushed to more northern latitudes on the east side (iraq, east Turkey) which forces a counter movement - and as there is plenty of ice cold air available over Russia, it is easy to engange into a Tango - swooping down over Greece.

The relatively warm sea at the same time gives plenty of moist (Black sea, Aegean Sea) being a huge reservoir of energy, potentially creating an “explosive” deepening of cyclones - perfect for larger amount of snow to fall in regions which normally are not associated snowfall.

Italy (mid 2010s)

Sometimes this happens over Italy instead. During the mid 2010s i remember that during mid March the deepest snow depths ever were recorded in Italy’s history. A whopping 12 meter (?) if i recall correctly (in the mountains of middle Italy).

In case it is not the exact depth in number - I do remember that the photos showed snow going all the way covering the first floor (european first floor) windows. Quite remarkable if you consider that it was during a time of 14-16 march !

Sicily

also got it’s share from time to time. I have seen photos which looked like as if the island was of Scandinavian origin, everything white - and the snow cover reached down to the coast, touching Taormina. (Somewhere between 2015-2016 this happened)

For the exact dates, I have to go through my photo archive, which also shares some of the more significant meteorological events in Europe.

Another thing comes to my mind

regarding meteorological comparisons, e.g. temperature, precipitation, sunshine hours etc. From such observations - you can make deviation charts after one month, in order to illustrate for example a country or city, has been too cold or too warm compared with “normal”

Different rules may apply in different countries, though !

The new normal

You may not have thought of this, but since January 2021 all temperaturs etc - are now compared to a new normal period (of the past 30 years). From now on, everything is compared with the averages from 1991-2020.

The earlier comparisons with the “normal” averages - were based on the years of 1961-1990 and ended in Dec 2020.

One example
(Stockholm, Jan 2021)

The month of January 2021 was in average around 2.1°C too warm compared with the old normal average of (jan) from 1961-90.

But when compared with the new normal period (jan) 1991-2020, January temperature deviation is now exactly normal: 0.0°C

Because the average winters in Stockholm during 1991-2020 have warmed, it now appears as if the present temperature deviations are “colder than normal”

I know. Very confusing.

But it is a factor worth to keep in mind, when comparing deviations from “normal”.

At least in Sweden they did not tinker with the normal periods, and shifted it to the new period since Jan 2021. Like it happens every 30 years.

But at the same time it is also confusing in the debates of climate/weather/“normal” - because from now on, you can’t compare deviations directly with older ones.

Normal is now different

:lol:

I guess snow is something very normal for Russia ;-), but this year some areas were surprised with a bigger amount of snow than usual.

For example, Moscow. The amount of snow that fell there is maybe normal for Siberia or Far East, but something like this hasn't happened in Moscow region for quite awhile. Last time something like this happened was in 1956.

GREECE / TURKEY / EGYPT '08
Corrections regarding unusual Snow events

This event I had mentioned earlier, happened on 18 Feb 2008 - where the Meteorological Institute of the Free University of Berlin reported; that in Athens fell a lot of snow - which together with strong northern-northeastern winds, created snow depths up to 85 cm (33.47" !!) Definitely a detail I did not remember (It actually surprised me :scared:)

Heraklion on Crete reported during the day moderate snowfalls. The MAX temperature in Athens went only up to +2°C (35.6°F), in Triplois 0°C (32°F), and fell back to -12°C on the ground at night (10.4°F). Over the city of Antalya at the South Coast of Turkey temporary snowfalls were reported (which did not remain on the ground) but was an extreme rare event. The temperatures went down to 0°C (32°F) at night. Even on the island of Cyprus, the temperature in Athalassa went down to 1°C (33.8°F)

As the cold air reached Egypt, the coastal station of Sallum Plateau reported sleet showers, and in the higher mountain region of Barka, 12 cm (4.72") snow was reported.

Unfortunately I did not save any photos from Greece, only two photos people took in Antalya, Turkey!

2008-02-18-11-24-13-Snow!-=)-Antalya-by-'sinecan'-(Flickr).jpg

2008-02-18-11-53-39-Cindy-karın-yağışını-seyrediyor!-by-'sinecan'-(Flickr).jpg

SICILY / MALTA '15
Corrections regarding unusual Snow events

In an unusual twist of New Years Eve 31 Dec 2014 and next day 1 Jan 2015 - the Strait of Messina, turned into the looks of a Scandinavian Fjord. The touristic Taormina turned into a fairytale postcard. On the volcano Island of Stromboli, the kids played throwing snow at each other at the coast - also extremely rare. Rare times the top of Stromboli can get a light powder, but at the coast usually not. In the City of Catania at the East Coast of Sicily, even there the snow remained on the ground - also extremely rare. (A similar event over Sicily as well Southern Italy, happened on 6-7 Jan 2017 also affecting Greece and Istanbul 7-8 Jan 2017)

Even in places like MALTA, snow fell. A place only few times such things ever happened: Briefly in March 1877, February 1895, January 1905, March 1949 and February 1962. Here is a 12 sec crappy video link from Malta I had saved.

Images from Sicily • 1 Jan 2015
from that event you can see below (Images from people, via meteoweb.eu)

taromina.jpg

Screen-Shot-2015-01-02-at-03.00.46.jpg

Taromina2.jpg

Screen-Shot-2015-01-02-at-03.06.29.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom