The Good Shepherd

Nathan

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
Has anyone seen this film? If so, what are your thoughts? The trailer reads like an auto-biography for a "useful idiot" who realises all too late what he has done.

Synopsis for The Good Shepherd:

The tumultuous early history of the Central Intelligence Agency is viewed through the prism of one man's life in The Good Shepherd, an espionage drama starring Academy Award® winners Matt Damon, Angelina Jolie and Robert De Niro and directed by Robert De Niro.

Edward Wilson (Matt Damon) understands the value of secrecy—discretion and commitment to honor have been embedded in him since childhood. As an eager, optimistic student at Yale, he is recruited to join the secret society Skull and Bones, a brotherhood and breeding ground for future world leaders. Wilson's acute mind, spotless reputation and sincere belief in American values render him a prime candidate for a career in intelligence, and he is soon recruited to work for the OSS (the precursor to the CIA) during WWII.

As one of the covert founders of the CIA, working in the heart of an organization where duplicity is required and nothing is taken at face value, Edward's' idealism is steadily eroded by a growing suspicious nature, reflective of a world settling into the long paranoia of the Cold War. As his methods are adopted as standard operating procedure, Wilson develops into one of the Agency's veteran operatives, all the while combating his KGB counterpart. However, his steely dedication to his country comes at an ever-increasing price. Not even his wife Clover (Angelina Jolie) or his beloved son can divert Wilson from a path that will force him to sacrifice everything in pursuit of this job.
Watch trailer

I haven't seen it, as I tend to avoid expensive, uncomfortable theaters, but more than a few friends of mine have said it is a very good movie. It is kinda long at 2 and a half hours but you'd think that chronicling the beginning of the CIA might take a little time. To me it's just more of the uncovering of certain truths which the PTB are using to get people acclimated to a government which is exactly like all the "paranoid conspiracy theorists" were clamoring about all these years.

I thought it was well done, protraying the CIA as it really is, not to mention the inherent stupidity of "patriots" who get caught up in the elite's machinations at the expense of ignoring their own humanity and decency. Most telling of this is when Edward (Matt Damon) is going through the S&B initiatory mud fight, and the one guy urinates on them. Although initially walking away in disgust, he is persuaded by the same guy who urinated on him to return and complete the initiation, which he does. I don't think the PTB will like this film.
Also, the reviews I read were at opposite ends of the spectrum, either gaving it a 1/10 or a 10/10. If my memory serves me correct, the oners were expecting an action movie along the lines of James Bond and found it too long and tedious.The tenners saw it more of an eye-opener on the reality of CIA violence, deception and cruelty, possibly-and hopefully-causing them to reflect on what they've been led to believe in.

Redrock12 said:
I don't think the PTB will like this film.
Unfortunately, the days of any film getting produced, much less distributed, that the PTB do not 'like' are far behind us. Although I think Beau makes a good point, and it might be a good film, it likely serves its purpose or it would not be released. Wish things were different, but this is simply the reality of the situation at this point.

But - with that said - it might be worth renting once it comes out on dvd (depending on the reviews you guys give it ;) )

I think anart is right. Let me quote something I once read by DonaldJHunt, "If it's on TV, it's CoIntelPro." I think the very same is true of films that achieve any kind of mainstream theatrical release. If you want to convey something positive, it has to be hidden -- obscured enough that the average person won't "get it."

Very well done movie. Despite the slow progression kept me from the beginning till the end. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but this movie offers an opportunity to get the glimpse of what is really going on in CIA and other "secret agencies"and it't not a pretty picture.
At one point one of the characters says:
"I remember a senator once asked me. When we talk about CIA why we never use the word the in front of it. And I asked him, do you put the word the in front of God?"

But I have to say that despite an attempt to show the rotten side of spy games, I think they still pushed lot of "some one has to do it to save the country" programming, especially with Matt Damon character. But I guess that later it became nessesary for survival (no spoilers!). Also movie creators were extremely careful not to touch Cuba or other issues beside cold war with Soviet union (usual spy movie set).

So I think that maybe at the beginning Matt Damon character was indeed a useful idiot, but he had several opportunities to "save his soul", but he didn't. It still gives you a shock that reality is probably much much worse. I recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom