The Departed

Azur

The Living Force
I've just now seen this film, and have some notes to share.

It is a somewhat complicated film, with some important aspects that involve rationalization, personal perception of self and intent, within the context of expected or common perception (or "things as they should be") with many actors playing roles within their view of society. (When I say actors here, I do not mean the film actors, but those they are portraying in the film).

It is a film remarkable in its characterization of people and how they act and why they do so for reasons almost unknown to themselves (it is a SMALL microcosm this film, but it is done in such a way that a lot of people here can easily extrapolate and see how it applies to the World at large).

Scorcese has captured something here, and has even sent a not-so-subtle signal to those that can see. Reference the importance of Beacon Hill to Matt Damon's character and what he demonstrates himself to be (to "insiders' watching the film). Wahlberg's character brings fire, watch how he applies it "in your face", and later, subtly (with regards to Baldwin's character). He knows. I would say this is a marker event.

It is a fantastic exercise to undertake, as you are watching this film, to track how you are pigeon-holing the characters as the movie progresses. Even more importantly, why the pigeon-holes change labels as you go along...

Cheers.

Mmm i didn't dig as deeply as azur did, but it has an interesting plot and enough suspense to keep me interested.

would i watch it a second time... not likely.

I thought it was alright - rather predictable in a way - as far as character behavior. I wasn't too fond of the ending, but, all in all, I rather enjoyed the film as a whole. I saw Wahlburg's character as more of a 'bad cop' to his boss's good cop character than really bringing fire. He did push Leonardo's character in order to motivate him or get certain responses, but it never seemed to be for Leonardo's good as much as for the police department's 'good'. It seemd more of a manipulation through feigned anger than anything else - but, that was just my take on it, and I could have just seen way too many 'good cop/bad cop' movies.

Back
Top Bottom