The Barber

treesparrow

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Blimey. Just when you think you've seen all the movies about psychopaths and serial killers you can handle along comes this. I picked up a copy at a thrift shop (but it can be be bought cheap on Amazon )and was quite surprised by its quality. Basically its the story of a serial killer in a small Alaskan town in the middle of winter -don't worry there's no blood and gore. What sets this apart, I think, is that it presents the psychopaths' view of the world through having the killer narrate events.
It appears to me that the writer uses this method to get a lot of serious points across about the nature of psychopathy.

The film stars Malcolm Mcdowell as the towns' barber -a position he uses to gain the confidence of his customers, study them, endear himself with them and generally blend in - but later use that gained knowledge to his adantage. We seen through the character Dex all the attributes of the typical psycho - coolness under extreme pressure, charm with the ladies, holding of a grudge, sudden lost of tember, manipulation of peoples' feelings and so on.

I've tried to find the full screenplay on the web but with no results. Here though a few some quotes to give you a flavour:-

"One thing I can tell you from experience, psychopaths hold grudges. I never forget and it takes an eye for an eye to forgive "

"Maybe I had Corgan pegged all wrong. It's not like me to underestimate an opponents ability, for after all if a predator misconstrues their prey, god's entire food chain goes to hell"

"Like it or not the psychopath has become the most fascinating folk figure of our time. They are by no means confined to the places we expect to find them. They are masterminding leverage buyouts on Wall Street, making films in Hollywood, running for Congress, even preaching in our churches. "

Well worth an hour and a half of your life.

Back
Top Bottom