Thank you / Like buton(s) on posts

I think it is a good way to let those who want to express their gratitude do so without cramming the thread with thank you posts. Furthermore those whom are reluctant to thank another because of the "noise level" can do so with no regret.
In the end, expressing the feeling of gratitude is a natural energy exchange between beings growing together, osit. :)

Gratitude is an interesting subject.
Mechanizing its expression makes me wonder, if it can encourage a more mechanical response.

Gratitude can be a profound expression and should, perhaps, require a degree of effort, in my mind.

For example, I try to give thanks for each meal I eat, and think that if there were a button I could push, instead of saying grace, it would somehow cheapen the experience.

There's something powerful about verbalizing gratitude.

Having said that, there is little effort required to say a simple thanks without elaborating, so a button wouldn't be much farther from that.

I have to admit, I have been guilty of offering simple thanks. There have been incidences when I have expressed my gratitude without elaboration. When sessions are posted, for example, I usually write a sentence or two to acknowledge the efforts involved and, although I am being genuine in my gratitude, I certainly do not identify the deeper aspects of my gratitude.

Following that thought, some of it could be a form of trying to offset the energy imbalance from the information I've received. I know consciously that such actions do not compensate one iota.

I am grateful for the thread as it has helped me see a program I hadn't seen before - guilt for getting something without paying in some way and compensating through gratitude. Not that it's always the case, but there certainly are times.
Thanks <grin>
Gonzo

Gonzo,

I am grateful for the thread/нить as it has helped me see a program I hadn't seen before - guilt for getting something without paying in some way and compensating through gratitude.

Are you proposing a pay button instead? :) Just kidding...

Lets be rude but honest the mechanical actions are a consequence of mechanical thinking. And there are dozens of ways to express guilt without saying thank you. Any idea (culture, technology) is neutral by its nature. The quality fully depends of the personality of the user. There is always a risk of abuse and insincerity in any action. Very well if someone can express gratitude in original and fluent way. I am not in the List. And by proposing a thank you function I don’t aim to eliminate gratitude completely.

I would like to arrive at a "place" where I don't need to hear the words "thank you". Right now for me, it does convey a positive energy exchange.
People often do not feel much gratitude. For example, when my daughter went to kindergarten, also partly run by the parents, we would have a monthly meeting. The carers really loved those children, and worked very hard to come up with new ideas that would benefit them. They were priceless in my opinion.They were not paid well at all. Those meeting often consisted of parents criticising and discussing what could be done better. As a result, the carers became somewhat dispirited, although they continued the good work. Not many people of are of their calibre. Some eventually resigned, however. I noticed how they brightened when I told them what a good job they were doing.
To my mind expressing gratitude for hard work or something given to one is a very important energetic exchange, although we should probably learn to not expect it.
I've learned so much hear from all your hard work. A big thanks, especially to the ones who are sharing their deep knowledge!

Lets try it on for "size" and see what comes of it?
I don't feel it to be directly detrimental and as Ana put it
Ana said:
I think it is a good way to let those who want to express their gratitude do so without cramming the thread with thank you posts. Furthermore those whom are reluctant to thank another because of the "noise level" can do so with no regret.
In the end, expressing the feeling of gratitude is a natural energy exchange between beings growing together, osit. :)

We will see if it 'works' or not.

Ana said:

Wholeheartedly agree!!! Trying to follow the pertinent conversation in a thread with 10 or 20 pages of thank yous is tedious, especially in the Cass session posts. Expressing sincere gratitude is a wonderful thing and should be encouraged, but when it bogs down a topic perhaps a less noisy method would allow a way for those whose external considering might otherwise keep them from expressing it.

“I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought,
and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder. “ ~ Gilbert Keith Chesterton

A Thank You button would be a nice feature. Off hand I would think that would be a good size modification...

:wow: :wow: :wow:

I must have missed this thread the first time.

Rabelais said:
Ana said:

Wholeheartedly agree!!! Trying to follow the pertinent conversation in a thread with 10 or 20 pages of thank yous is tedious, especially in the Cass session posts. Expressing sincere gratitude is a wonderful thing and should be encouraged, but when it bogs down a topic perhaps a less noisy method would allow a way for those whose external considering might otherwise keep them from expressing it.

“I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought,
and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder. “ ~ Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Fwiw, I agree with Ana and Rabelais as well. I'm for giving it a try and seeing how it works out.

I think it would be interesting to try. I wonder, would posts that have many "thank yous" attributed to them be able to be sorted into some category? I'm thinking like a 'top ten' area or "Thank you very much!" category where it would be easy to find the higher rated posts (and assuming that the ones with the most 'thank yous' would be the most helpful to everyone).

How about a 'Like' button next to every post? As it is a facebook thingy, maybe something similar?

Sometimes I read posts and agree so much with it but if i simply posted "I really agree" or "Same here" for example, I and (I'm guessing) many others would simply flood the thread. Sometimes I agree so much so that nothing more needs to be said but I want to show my support. :)

I personally take awhile to comprehend new ideas and if i saw that other forum members 'Like' a post i would definitely give what was written in that post more thought.

Another thing is that when i have read a post and i think "yeah, me too", besides flooding the tread with comments like this, being able to see that other forum members have the same thoughts, i would think "ah, its not just me, there are others who think/feel the same too"

I understand it prob cant be done, I am not a computer programmer or anything like that. I'm still learning to quote in my posts!

Can it be done?

Hi kindle,

something similar was already discussed in this topic here:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,21038.msg217667.html#msg217667

Gawan said:
Hi kindle,

something similar was already discussed in this topic here:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,21038.msg217667.html#msg217667

Oh. Then perhaps a better search button :P Or a simpler, newbie friendly search function.

Its alittle confusing when reading all the thread titles with your key words in there amongst it all.

I typed in 'Like' button, "Like" Button with various words etc. I missed the 'thankyou' button.

I've often thought I'd like a waving smiley icon to use when greeting new people in the newbies section because often I just gesture when I meet someone and don't really say much.

But thinking about this more I figured that I could use this as an exercise to do what 'it' doesn't want me to do. So sometimes I jump in and say g'day and sometimes 'it' wins :). In other words, I sometimes use it as a self observation exercise.

Jones said:
I've often thought I'd like a waving smiley icon to use when greeting new people in the newbies section because often I just gesture when I meet someone and don't really say much.

But thinking about this more I figured that I could use this as an exercise to do what 'it' doesn't want me to do. So sometimes I jump in and say g'day and sometimes 'it' wins :). In other words, I sometimes use it as a self observation exercise.

See, i would have "Like" that :P

Anywho, I have seen a forum member post a waving smiley. I dont know how to do it, but for example to make a :) you would type : + ) = :)

Maybe google the combination.

Back
Top Bottom