Telepathy or Alternate Reality?!?

Gimpy: Very sound, balanced advice, in my opinion.

I went through a period when I was a young woman, and very much into the "Seth" material, where I worked very hard on recalling my dreams and studying them for "clues" about my life and "alternate realities". I kept very detailed "dream journals", and increased the number and length of my "lucid" dreams. After a while, though, I found that it took up a great deal of my time, and I began to question how much real benefit there was to it.

Then I came across a Seth statement that completely changed my thinking. (The following is a loose paraphrase on my part, from memory, can't find the book.) He emphasized that everything we SHOULD be attending to (in terms of lessons, growth, etc.) was always directly before us in our everyday waking life, that if we worked at being completely aware and attentive to the mundane details of our moment-to-moment existence, and endeavoured to engage with and not avoid the challenges therein, we could not avoid "progressing" in our spiritual curriculum. He suggested that instead of analyzing our sleeping dreams for "clues", we should view the people, places, and events of our waking life like we would a dream, as both "real" and yet "poetically symbolic" and multi-layered at the same time; a kind of "waking dream".

That hit me like a bolt of lightning. After that I began to pay less attention to my dreams, and more attention to the significances of my everyday life. In the terminology of the Work (which I would not encounter for many years yet), I began to work on being more attentive and "awake" on a moment-to-moment basis in my "real" life, and avoid the "sleep" that can overtake when we become to preoccupied with the minutae of our unconscious mind and various other "phenomena chasing"....

Then I came across a Seth statement that completely changed my thinking. (The following is a loose paraphrase on my part, from memory, can't find the book.) He emphasized that everything we SHOULD be attending to (in terms of lessons, growth, etc.) was always directly before us in our everyday waking life, that if we worked at being completely aware and attentive to the mundane details of our moment-to-moment existence, and endeavoured to engage with and not avoid the challenges therein, we could not avoid "progressing" in our spiritual curriculum. He suggested that instead of analyzing our sleeping dreams for "clues", we should view the people, places, and events of our waking life like we would a dream, as both "real" and yet "poetically symbolic" and multi-layered at the same time; a kind of "waking dream".

That hit me like a bolt of lightning. After that I began to pay less attention to my dreams, and more attention to the significances of my everyday life. In the terminology of the Work (which I would not encounter for many years yet), I began to work on being more attentive and "awake" on a moment-to-moment basis in my "real" life, and avoid the "sleep" that can overtake when we become to preoccupied with the minutae of our unconscious mind and various other "phenomena chasing"....

Yep. That's the natural progression explained. :D

Dream analysis isn't a waste of time pepper. The time you spent on it gave you a wider context of symbols to draw from later. Your dream journals arn't useless either. I still go back to mine and see them with fresh eyes when a symbol that is naggingly familiar pops up again. I don't document every one like I used to, choosing to work through it right on waking instead.

I've found that the work on dreams I did for years has been invaluable in grokking the Work and reading the Signs. Its another reason not to discourage people
when they ask about dreams. Its a natural place to begin understanding symbolic language. When its done long enough that patterns emerge and writing it down is no longer needed...then its time for the "Shock" of realizing our reality as a kind of waking dream.

Not everyone will come to that realization the same way. When I read the C's say that things like shocks etc will naturally happen, it clicked with something in me, and its made me leery of telling people to do or not do anything, to let Nature take its course.

Basically I try to leave off, and just offer ideas or questions, and let the process work out. The only caveat? When no warning means possible direct harm either to the person or a ripple effect from said person outward. I can't keep my mouth shut then. :-[ Lots of times it just makes me look stupid.

In doing the Work, our focus is on awakening....and we've got to work with what we have to begin.

It makes me wonder if the acknowledgment of dreams in both polarities: positive and negative, would be in keeping with "Giving each thing its due"?

Does that make sense?

Gimpy said:
Dream analysis isn't a waste of time pepper.

No, of course it isn't. I didn't mean to imply that it was. I was simply presenting my younger preoccupation with it as an example of an "unbalanced" approach. At that time I almost considered my "dream life" to be more important than my waking life.

Gimpy said:
The time you spent on it gave you a wider context of symbols to draw from later. Your dream journals aren't useless either. I still go back to mine and see them with fresh eyes when a symbol that is naggingly familiar pops up again. I don't document every one like I used to, choosing to work through it right on waking instead. I've found that the work on dreams I did for years has been invaluable in grokking the Work and reading the Signs.

I completely agree. I still pay close attention to my dreams, but do not necessarily view every single one as important. The important ones stay with me throughout the day, pushing themselves to my attention.

Gimpy said:
Its another reason not to discourage people when they ask about dreams. Its a natural place to begin understanding symbolic language.

Agreed. That's why we have a "Dreams" section, after all. However, from time to time we *do* run across new members who seem to pay more attention to their dreams and "unusual experiences" than they do their everyday lives, in an "escapist" kind of way -- and I do think the moderators are correct to point out that imbalance as a kind of "distraction".

Gimpy said:
When I read the C's say that things like shocks etc will naturally happen, it clicked with something in me, and its made me leery of telling people to do or not do anything, to let Nature take its course. Basically I try to leave off, and just offer ideas or questions, and let the process work out....

Wise approach. Within the context of the forum (where it can be assumed that posters are asking for feedback), all we can do is offer our observations and own experiences. In life outside of the forum, I don't even offer that, unless I'm very very sure that I am being asked for assistance.

Gimpy said:
It makes me wonder if the acknowledgment of dreams in both polarities: positive and negative, would be in keeping with "Giving each thing its due"? Does that make sense?

I don't understand what you're trying to say, but I want to. Could you elaborate a little more?

pf said:
No, of course it isn't. I didn't mean to imply that it was. I was simply presenting my younger preoccupation with it as an example of an "unbalanced" approach. At that time I almost considered my "dream life" to be more important than my waking life.

This is exactly the point. It has absolutely nothing to do with 'discouraging people' - it has to do with pointing out the very real fact that one cannot awaken when one is lost in dreams. People are very, very prone to being lost in dreams, as well as phenomenon-chasing, so the advice given is done so with full knowledge and understanding.

I'm a bit curious as to why that seems to be lost on you, Gimpy - while a subtle point, it is certainly not one that hasn't been delved into - in detail - time and again on this forum.

I'm a bit curious as to why that seems to be lost on you, Gimpy - while a subtle point, it is certainly not one that hasn't been delved into - in detail - time and again on this forum.

It can be discussed time and time again, but there is no guarantee that, at the time I post, that I'll remember that fact. For a while that bothered me so much
that I wouldn't post at all. I do watch out for it as best I can, and take time in posting.

But I'm not going to catch all of the brain farts. I'm just thankful that you will point them out to me. My family often will not, and get angry at me instead.

Thank you!

Gimpy said:
It can be discussed time and time again, but there is no guarantee that, at the time I post, that I'll remember that fact. For a while that bothered me so much
that I wouldn't post at all. I do watch out for it as best I can, and take time in posting.

Well, I must admit that this is a bit disconcerting, considering the sheer number of times the subject has been discussed.  Perhaps as a short term measure, you could first search the forum on a topic before posting your reaction to what is being discussed?

Well, I must admit that this is a bit disconcerting, considering the sheer number of times the subject has been discussed.

:lol: Sorry anart, but this is a line right out of my former supervisors mouth, almost verbatum.

Perhaps as a short term measure, you could first search the forum on a topic before posting your reaction to what is being discussed?

I'll keep working on it, and get out the post it notes again.

Back
Top Bottom