Teaching critical thinking is the most powerful, least expensive solution for humanity's problems

JGeropoulas

The Living Force
"If we could start teaching the SKILL of thinking critically, it would make a massive societal impact for the good. Critical Thinking is the most powerful, least expensive, widest impact solution to an extraordinary collection of personal and societal issues — with NO DOWNSIDE!"

Just some of the numerous personal benefitsthat K-12 students could profit from by being properly taught Critical Thinking are:​

1) Critical Thinking students would learn all of the Social Emotional Learning (SEL) stated objectiveswithout the typical downsides
2) Critical Thinking students would make more informed personal medical decisions
3) Critical Thinking students are more motivated across the board
4) Critical Thinking students are more creative (which is a superpower)
5) Critical Thinking students are more independent (a key part of maturity)
6) Critical Thinking students will do much better at managing their time
7) Critical Thinking students will have better interpersonal relationships
8) Critical Thinking minorities would have a more level playing field
9) Graduates who went on to college would be less susceptible to propaganda
10) Economically deprived graduates would have the tools to succeed financially
11) All graduates could easily adapt to rapidly changing employment situations
12) Graduates would more effectively manage their financial resources
13) Graduates would be much better at maintaining their health
14) Graduates would more likely choose a superior spiritual path
15) Graduates would be much better at picking a compatible spouse
16) Graduates would be more effective at parenting their children
17) Graduates would make more informed voting choices
18) Graduates would be more actively participating citizens and be less likely to have their rights and freedoms stolen
19) Graduates would be less susceptible to being tricked by AI perversions or scams by bad actors
20) Graduates would be happier (e.g., as they have more control over their lives)

Last edited:
"If we could start teaching the SKILL of thinking critically, it would make a massive societal impact for the good. Critical Thinking is the most powerful, least expensive, widest impact solution to an extraordinary collection of personal and societal issues — with NO DOWNSIDE!"

Just some of the numerous personal benefitsthat K-12 students could profit from by being properly taught Critical Thinking are:​

1) Critical Thinking students would learn all of the Social Emotional Learning (SEL) stated objectiveswithout the typical downsides
2) Critical Thinking students would make more informed personal medical decisions
3) Critical Thinking students are more motivated across the board
4) Critical Thinking students are more creative (which is a superpower)
5) Critical Thinking students are more independent (a key part of maturity)
6) Critical Thinking students will do much better at managing their time
7) Critical Thinking students will have better interpersonal relationships
8) Critical Thinking minorities would have a more level playing field
9) Graduates who went on to college would be less susceptible to propaganda
10) Economically deprived graduates would have the tools to succeed financially
11) All graduates could easily adapt to rapidly changing employment situations
12) Graduates would more effectively manage their financial resources
13) Graduates would be much better at maintaining their health
14) Graduates would more likely choose a superior spiritual path
15) Graduates would be much better at picking a compatible spouse
16) Graduates would be more effective at parenting their children
17) Graduates would make more informed voting choices
18) Graduates would be more actively participating citizens and be less likely to have their rights and freedoms stolen
19) Graduates would be less susceptible to being tricked by AI perversions or scams by bad actors
20) Graduates would be happier (e.g., as they have more control over their lives)

I think that the control system has been systematically removing critical thinking from all education for a long time.

But even if this were achieved, the current system rejects all critical thinking, and thinking "outside the box" - just look at how scientific research poo poo's any research scientists who dare to go against current beliefs. That would have to change as well.

What bakes my noodle is how we are taught in school how important it is to critically think (or, were taught), and given examples of scientists who went against beliefs - e.g Galileo Galilei almost being burned at the stake.

I can tell you first hand (I work at a university) critical thinking is not taught, in fact it’s, for the most part frowned upon, students must follow and write and regurgitate what ever the material and lecturer lays out, which, generally, is dictated by the university. There are exceptions to the rule, and I see that some students, no matter what, shine through and do use their critical thoughts. I would say it’s that magic 10-15% as in people that see what’s really going on. I think the idea of teaching it is great, but in reality we can only teach those who are already interested IMO.

and It’s not just universities, my sister recently resigned her primary school teaching job after nearly 30 years, for various reasons, one of them being her new boss is a psychopath (becoming more common by the day unfortunately) but also because they don’t want teachers to teach, they want them to Indoctrinate, get with the program etc it’s extremely sad, but if I had kids, I would do Whatever I could to homeschool them..

theres a bunch of critical thinking videos on YouTube, and I would guess TikTok etc so maybe that’s the way to try and get this into the hands of people, the ones who are inclined at least!?

This would be great, but I don't think it's possible on 3D outside places like this forum,
some small learning groups, maybe some parts of secret societies etc...

Even regulary public school...? No way.
Kids who think freely, critical, different, who act by principles even slightly different from majority,
are prone to be mocked at, bullied and
isolated big time.
Better not to mention other ways of shaming that kids use today ...

I have doughter who is 'normie'- but she is a kid who gives her best to grow up
in a good, smart, kind and of good use to society human.
How to make world a better place by working hard and fair, helping and
being a example.
And she is highly encouradged at home do be like that, to become like that.
But she has no friends.
Nobody real close cause 'she is stupid, she is acting up and only want to be special'
At least so they say. Her class mates and girls on dance practises.

She is shamed because she thrieves to exelency in what she cares about and criticaly view on the reality.
That's way she is lonely, anxious and she will eventualy give up from many principles only to belong somewhere.

Didn't Ceasar himself said something similar..?
That individuals chances are next to nothing to remain on that path ?
United in small groups maybe better, but how many of us have such luck to be near physically.
Ok, luckily there is on line meeting version of everything, but still... our chaotic way of life
and constant survival mode are not helpful

Few good teachers who are doing amazing job and care about truth and objectivity are also mocked
and proclaimed as weirdos. We see it everyday.
Lonely volunteers in their close environment and that's pretty much it.

Basically, we are doomed as society. But it's just how it's suposed to be.
I hope we'll endure till time when our FRV and all we have to give will merge into world we ache for

Yes I think that at least a bit more critical thinking might improve things, but I think it is probably quite assumptious to believe that this would be “the answer“ and with “no downsides“. It is probably far more complicated and nuanced then that. If you read McGilchrist that becomes quite obvious I think. Further, the idea might have quite the opposite effect since many of the critical thinking ideas seem to be pretty left brain centered. I‘m pretty sure that McGilchrist would probably argue for that and that it is a pretty left brainy idea that critical thinking is “everything“ and “the only or even just a big part of the answer“.

thank you for having initiated this thread.
i have grown up in france and i have a french egineering degree, obtained around 60 years ago.
in those times, there was no political correctness and our only criterium was to speak the TRUTH.
this also explains why there are no engineers in politics: we engineers have not been trained to lie.
critical thinking must be encouraged at any age: this requires objective knowledge at any time, not indoctrination or believing absurd statements.
the miracle of today is the web. make use of it...

Last edited:
I don't think critical thinking can be taught in a school environment. School is by design a structure for learning. School is not for education either, education is in the house and family. Critical thinking is an individual activity that's learned with peers, with family, through thinking role models, through socialization and by one's own impulse. School is not built for socialization, socialization happens outside of school, and that's where critical thinking can be learned I think.

I don't think critical thinking can be taught in a school environment. School is by design a structure for learning. School is not for education either, education is in the house and family. Critical thinking is an individual activity that's learned with peers, with family, through thinking role models, through socialization and by one's own impulse. School is not built for socialization, socialization happens outside of school, and that's where critical thinking can be learned I think.
yes, but it can also be encouraged at school when the learning institution has it on its programme. this was the case when i was 60 years younger. at that time we wanted to learn but hated being educated and conditioned.

yes, but it can also be encouraged at school when the learning institution has it on its programme. this was the case when i was 60 years younger. at that time we wanted to learn but hated being educated and conditioned.
60 years ago, or even 40 years ago for me, we didn't have 24/24h TV and cell-phones. We had enough free time out of school to process information, consciously or unconsciously, select what's useful and reject indoctrination as authoritarian nonsense :)
Standing in a classroom to lecture about critical thinking reminds me of the scene in "the Life of Brian" where Brian asks his followers to not follow anybody.

I have been uncritical for most of my life. Only recently have I learned to think critically. I must say that it is not without flaws. Ever since I learned to be critical, I have been thinking negatively about everything and everyone.

Critical thinking takes years to develop. It is always undercut by our erroneous assumptions and programming. And that’s what education is: programming. Perhaps it is like knowledge: necessarily limited in its dispersion.

But if you think you are critically thinking and blame your depression on that, are you really critically thinking? Those emotions are usually reactions to what you are seeing. And one point of critical thinking is to outwit your emotional reactions.

Your comments provide much food for thought.

When the men on the chessboard
Get up and tell you where to go...
When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's "off with her head!"
Remember what the door mouse said
Feed your head
Feed your head

Last edited:
A band I was in used to do this number. Always loved it-Lewis Carrol plus the steadily rising insistent tense vibe crescendo and the vocals belted out. Always a blast to play for any group of musical drama queens!

Back
Top Bottom