Tapatalk for smart phone access

thinker

The Force is Strong With This One
It would be nice if this forum would be accessible through tapatalk. It's a smart phone applications that makes reading on a phone much easier and faster, than doing it through website not optimized for small screens.

More information on this plugin can be found on
http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php

Installation of the plug in supposedly takes only 10 minutes, so it should be pretty easy for admin, and it would make access to forum much easier.

Hope you will consider this enhancement positively,
Wojciech

Yes I heard about it and it looks interesting for those that need to read on the go. My thoughts go immediately to Gonzo -he replies a lot from with his phone.
To use the forum comfortably on the phone can be quite complicated, even with the new smartphones.

Yes, for it to work , the admin has to instal a plug-in that gives access : "A: The Plugin is designed to inherit all security policies from your forum system. For example, if a specific sub-forum is a restricted access, the Tapatalk iPhone client would not be able to access it unless the logging member has the authority to access it."

I don't know if this can come as a burden to the admin and I'm not aware if this can cause any other privacy problems; also if it is externally considerate to ask to do it, but it would sure be a nice touch.

To use the forum comfortably on the phone can be quite complicated, even with the new smartphones
Yeah, the web version of the forum is just not formatted to be used on a small screen and touch interface. Sure I can open the forum website, but I have to constantly zoom in and out hunting for tiny links to click on them. Not impossible, but a big pain.

if it is externally considerate to ask to do it, but it would sure be a nice touch.
Pretty, pretty, pretty please? :)

Thinker, You could send the admin a PM and kindly ask if there is any possibility for doing so. For all I know, they seem to be pretty busy.
If I am not mistaken, you can contact Mr. Scott. ;)

Hi thinker,

I've brought your request to the attention of Mr.Scott. Just hang in there till you get a response from him. :)

I checked out this Tapatalk thingie. I don't think we want to go there because it seems to be pretty buggy, it conflicts with many mods, and it doesn't like customized forums, which we most definitely have!

The plan was to wait for SMF 2.0, which is supposed to have automatic mobile device detection. It probably won't be as snazzy, but it will be free on all sides and work better than nothing. SMF 2.0 Release Candidate 3 was released back in March, so I'm REALLY REALLY hoping they are almost done with it! They aren't exactly speedy on the development front. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day though, I think this is an inherent problem for mobile devices. Web sites are generally designed for large screens, and now suddenly they all have to be redesigned to work with huge screens and teeny-tiny screens. That's a tall order. It's kind of a pickle, and frankly, we don't have many mobile readers according to our server stats.

I'll keep an eye out though for another solution!

Back
Top Bottom