State of the Union Address 2010

“How fortunate for leaders that men do not think"

'The broad mass of a nation will more easily fall victim to a big lie than a small one.',

"When an opponent declares, "I will not come over to your side," I calmly say, "Your child belongs to us already... What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing else but this new community."

"The broad masses of a population are more amenable to the appeal of rhetoric than to any other force'

Adolf Hitler :cry:

anart,

Thank you for the rich commentary. Waking up to the "reality" of how things operate on this BBM can be a sad, sobering experience. Many a time it has been said that one should retain some humor. Seems that more and more people are opening their eyes, but while i think about the nature of an asleep individual... One who lives day to day in this illusionary fantasy... How they think... I think I know...
That's why I : :)
The highlight section below made a belly laugh

... Now he's attacking pundits "turning serious issues into soundbites" and how citizens are losing hope - "no wonder there is so much cynicism and disappointment" - "there are few Americans who believe we can change or that I can deliver it. I never said it would be easy or that i could do it alone." (The nation thinks, 'didn't you?' - could have sworn you said that somewhere between 'yes we can' and 'hope'... somewhere between my KFC dinner and McDonald's breakfast, I could have sworn you said you were the answer...) ...

anart said:
Even the Republicans were applauding, so it must be the truth, right? "Any more KFC left in that bucket, honey?"

(No actual msg laden poisonous food was ingested during this experience - however I do now feel that I need a shower.)

Anart, I so enjoyed everything you had written and you nailed it! LOL KFC, I was about to bust a gut in laughter. :D

I did not watch the State of the Union Address and had no intention to do so. My hubby had it streaming on his computer listening to it, and I heard a few Obama yada-yada's with wild applause. Finally, my hubby turned it off midway and said, "Pure B.S. rhetoric."

Thanks, anart!

Edit: Corrected typo.

Aidylsun B. said:
Galahad said:
Aidylsun B. said:
I watched the State of the Union address tonight and thought it was a good speech.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "it was a good speech"? I am perplexed.
Yes, I'll be happy to elaborate. For me, a good speech is one that is easy to understand, clear, concise and without ambiguous language. I had no problems understanding the message. I have heard many, many speeches and have, at times almost fallen asleep or walked away confused. I have also listened to speeches that I didn't necessarily agree with but where the speaker's delivery was excellent or even perfect.

That's what I meant when I said he was a spell binder - none of what you quoted in your 'introduction and conclusion' post means anything - none of it. It is rhetoric, delivered flawlessly - empty, emotional, manipulative rhetoric. It is his job to leave the vast majority of the viewers sitting on their couches as he leaves the Chamber thinking, "that was a good speech", not being able to see even one layer beyond the words, to the meaning, which is wholly absent.

It is - to put it another way - mind control and rhetorical hypnotism. If - and this is as hypothetical an 'if' as I can muster - there were any chance for all of these changes he is describing to actually happen, he'd be put out of commission so fast our heads would spin.

It's theatre, nothing more - and if you're satisfied with actors that perform their parts flawlessly, despite the empty words of the script, then, yes, I suppose it was a good speech.

Brilliant retort anart! :thup: Methinks this would make a fine SOTT Focus piece as well.

I saw just a piece of it and my general impression was that he was spouting a tremendous amount of wishful thinking, feel-good rhetoric.

Did anybody notice the weather being strange that night? The light had an eery amber glow to it when I went out for my evening walk. When I first got outside I thought it was quite bizarre.

Thanks for the comments on my post/article - as you can probably tell, I threw it together right there in front of the television and then our tricksy Perceval got it up on SoTT before I knew it! :lol: I'm glad it's going over well, for a group of off the cuff remarks on the 'show' of the SOTU.

A fine addition to a great news service and the courage to tell it like is !

Ana said:
Aidylsun B. said:
Yes, I'll be happy to elaborate. For me, a good speech is one that is easy to understand, clear, concise and without ambiguous language. I had no problems understanding the message.

And, wich is it?

I ask because I am just seeing someone delivering words with no real meaning inside himself, someone saying what is needed to be said to continue, someone unable to feel shame or others pain and suffering.
He seems not to be talking to humans but to machines needing some buttons to be pushed in order to continue the dream.

Aidylsun B. said:
I have heard many, many speeches and have, at times almost fallen asleep or walked away confused. I have also listened to speeches that I didn't necessarily agree with but where the speaker's delivery was excellent or even perfect.

And does it really matter? :huh:

The message is only what one perceives it to be. What matters to the individual is what matters most. I realize that my response may seem empty but it isn't up to me to answer those questions for you.

anart said:
Aidylsun B. said:
Galahad said:
Aidylsun B. said:
I watched the State of the Union address tonight and thought it was a good speech.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "it was a good speech"? I am perplexed.
Yes, I'll be happy to elaborate. For me, a good speech is one that is easy to understand, clear, concise and without ambiguous language. I had no problems understanding the message. I have heard many, many speeches and have, at times almost fallen asleep or walked away confused. I have also listened to speeches that I didn't necessarily agree with but where the speaker's delivery was excellent or even perfect.

That's what I meant when I said he was a spell binder - none of what you quoted in your 'introduction and conclusion' post means anything - none of it. It is rhetoric, delivered flawlessly - empty, emotional, manipulative rhetoric. It is his job to leave the vast majority of the viewers sitting on their couches as he leaves the Chamber thinking, "that was a good speech", not being able to see even one layer beyond the words, to the meaning, which is wholly absent.

It is - to put it another way - mind control and rhetorical hypnotism. If - and this is as hypothetical an 'if' as I can muster - there were any chance for all of these changes he is describing to actually happen, he'd be put out of commission so fast our heads would spin.

It's theatre, nothing more - and if you're satisfied with actors that perform their parts flawlessly, despite the empty words of the script, then, yes, I suppose it was a good speech.

Thank you for you comments, anart. Here is a quote I like, taken from The Power of the Spoken Word:

"Indeed, life and death can both come from words; for words are builders and also destroyers. Words can unite and also divide; words can heal, but also wound; words can bless and curse; reconcile or antagonize; enlighten or delude and mislead; reveal or hide.

Yes, the spoken word is a great magician. Let us endeavour to heed the word of wisdom and to learn "to use with care those living messengers called words." (W.Q. Judge)

Aidylsun B. said:
Yes, the spoken word is a great magician. Let us endeavour to heed the word of wisdom and to learn "to use with care those living messengers called words." (W.Q. Judge)
Magician: One who performs tricks of illusion and sleight of hand - Merriam Webster. That description is perhaps exactly applicable in this context.

Back
Top Bottom