Soundtracks and Scores

Alejo

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Hi everyone,

After I posted this thread, I did a quick search on the forum to see if there was a thread for good scores and OST from movies or video games, and I realized that there wasn't one, so I figured I could start one.

I've always had a thing for scores in movies and video games, there's so many well composed tracks and themes that transport you to the scenes, and evoke the principles or concepts from a movie or series.

So, perhaps if anyone else has a similar appreciation for them, we can post our favorite soundtracks here?

I will start with this one, and I will add more as I have more time.

This one is composed by Keichi Okabe for a video game called Nier Automata, there's plenty of very nice tracks but these are two of my favorites.

The name of this track is "Mourning"

The name of this one is "Voice of no return"

I’ve always enjoyed the film The Devil’s Violinist, a dramatization of the life of Niccolo Paganini. I have the soundtrack album which is phenomenal. But here’s a fun scene in a tavern, where he nabs a guy’s violin and goes off. The arpeggios, legato, and tricks play like a 19th century Edward Van Halen (or more accurately Yngwie Malmsteen). I find the use of a plain tavern waltz really helps lift his playing out of the context of Paganini’s own work like 24 Caprices. Might wanna scroll ahead a minute to get to the playing.

Last edited:
I always loved the music from the video games series Xenoblade Saga, and more specifically Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and 3, both have so many good soundtracks, here’s a couple:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Xenoblade chronicles 3

Then there's all the ones composed by Nobuo Uematsu, for the Final Fantasy series of games, there's so many great ones that I had a hard time picking any.. but here's a few of my favorites.

This one is called Tifa's theme:

This one is called Cid's theme:

This one is called Aerith's theme

He has so many good ones, that it's difficult to make a decent selection, but if you're curious just look up his name.

Next one up is Joe Haishi, composer of the soundtracks for all the Studio Ghibli movies, and he has some really amazing ones as well. Here's a couple:

From Naussica of the valley of the wind

From Princess Mononoke:

From Howl's moving castle

From Spirited away

From Kiki's delivery service

Nice choices Alejo.. Always loved the Final Fantasy music. I've not listened to orchestral/piano arrangements before.. I still like the original cheesy sound chip/MIDI/FM/whatever versions :) e.g.:

The first Nier game had great music too, similar vibe to Automata's though not as polished or big, with the same vocalist singing in made up languages. Also love all that Studio Ghibli music. I've never listened to it outside the context of the films before - must do so! It expresses the films' sense of wonder and exploration and something great just around the corner, so very well... Thanks for sharing!

Another anime with music I love is Tekkonkinkreet:

Something completely different.. Commodore 64 game music. The soundtrack of my childhood..... A couple favourites:

The 1983 film 'Antarctica'... I've never seen it, but had the soundtrack by Vangelis on tape as a kid. Wonderful album..

And Vangelis's Bladerunner soundtrack..

..and here's a bonus David Bowie's Labyrinth soundtrack song.. ;P

I really liked. some of the music in one of the Mission Impossible movies, which blended Puccini and that familiar MI theme beautifully. Rogue Nation. I can't find the scene/music passage I'm remembering.

I also like the Dead Presidents soundtrack for its classic 70s soul. Never seen the movie.

Love this one, compose by Tako Iwasaki. This OVA (movie) is greater that the anime series.

And to change up the pace, and it'll be the last one I post tonight. This one is from Cowboy Bebop, composed largely by Yoko Kano, less orchestral.
More of Yoko Kanno music that I love, anime Wolf's Rain OST

For a chill evening 😊

This one, more reflexive.

Thanks for this great thread. I don't even know where to start, as I'm so into OSTs. I've created a list but decided to put only one here, which somehow feels unique for me and is still triggering some deep emotions. It's from the Fountain movie, but from the additional material that was put on the DVD version. I recommend watching this clip with headphones on; it feels like a 5D contemplation zone :-)

I'm not into video games, or I should say I do not play them because I may just become into video games too much.

However, I do listen to Pandora and they play quite a few soundtracks from movies and a video game or two. I really like the scores from Jeremy Soule he has made for Skyrim. Here are a couple:

Back
Top Bottom