Smoking is... good?

goyacobol said:
Session 12 July 2014 said:
In the end you must be true to your own nature and fear nothing.

There must be some thin line between what Cesar said and strategic enclosure. I lost it somehow in the way. Maybe I just try to adjust to new knowledge and implementing it in my life, but I feel stuck between 'should I said something or not' and 'should I do something or not'. Many situations with people now I don't see in black&version and there is always a reason why someone did or said something but because of that I have trouble to understand what is really going on in 'now'. People usually don't like to say the 'truth' (at least what they think that they really feel) so why bother talk with them about anything? (This is not applied to this forum.) But if I'm too silent, that's not ok too, right?

For one month I will be working again in the same job like last year and I'm little bit scare will I succeed to fit in, again. That's gonna be a long summer, 5 months of work and I need to blind in because everytime when someone is in the spot for something (and I have in normal community plenty of reason to be in the spot) chef (I work in the restaurant) with vampire characteristic always use that person to make a drama. I guess, I will have plenty time to practice what I have learned about external consideration and in the same time gray rock.

Back on subject, smoking is real issue on my job because I smoke domestic tobacco that have different smell than regular and chef (which is smoker too, but industrial cigarettes) make big fuss about it and owner of restaurant too. I feel really uncomfortable when they do it and don't know should I smoke or not. First, I don't think that is ok to do something that others bothers especially if that is the owner and my boss and second how can I blind in when I do something that bother others? My 'nature' in that moment will probably be to tell them that they probably have a candida if they have problem with the smell of my domestic non treated tobacco, and that will be foolish choice. Last year I have tried to move away from them couple of meters and they ask me why I separated from them? People are just weird :huh:. I love this job and pay is great but this so standard situations with people exhaust me. If I ever come in 4D STO the one thing that I will love the most, opportunity to not be able to hide in my thoughts from others and they thoughts from me.

Dakota said:
goyacobol said:

There must be some thin line between what Cesar said and strategic enclosure. I lost it somehow in the way. Maybe I just try to adjust to new knowledge and implementing it in my life, but I feel stuck between 'should I said something or not' and 'should I do something or not'. Many situations with people now I don't see in black&version and there is always a reason why someone did or said something but because of that I have trouble to understand what is really going on in 'now'. People usually don't like to say the 'truth' (at least what they think that they really feel) so why bother talk with them about anything? (This is not applied to this forum.) But if I'm too silent, that's not ok too, right?

For one month I will be working again in the same job like last year and I'm little bit scare will I succeed to fit in, again. That's gonna be a long summer, 5 months of work and I need to blind in because everytime when someone is in the spot for something (and I have in normal community plenty of reason to be in the spot) chef (I work in the restaurant) with vampire characteristic always use that person to make a drama. I guess, I will have plenty time to practice what I have learned about external consideration and in the same time gray rock.

Back on subject, smoking is real issue on my job because I smoke domestic tobacco that have different smell than regular and chef (which is smoker too, but industrial cigarettes) make big fuss about it and owner of restaurant too. I feel really uncomfortable when they do it and don't know should I smoke or not. First, I don't think that is ok to do something that others bothers especially if that is the owner and my boss and second how can I blind in when I do something that bother others? My 'nature' in that moment will probably be to tell them that they probably have a candida if they have problem with the smell of my domestic non treated tobacco, and that will be foolish choice. Last year I have tried to move away from them couple of meters and they ask me why I separated from them? People are just weird :huh:. I love this job and pay is great but this so standard situations with people exhaust me. If I ever come in 4D STO the one thing that I will love the most, opportunity to not be able to hide in my thoughts from others and they thoughts from me.

Dakota,

I share your struggle for balance with trying to navigate between knowing when to speak and when to keep silent. Usually my speaking gets me into more trouble than keeping silent. I am more than eager to "share" my thoughts and opinions (sometimes here on the forum too).

I think you seem to have a good knowledge of the concepts of External Consideration, Strategic Enclosure and Presentation and how tricky it is to know what situation calls for the appropriate action or non-action.

Who would think that fellow "smokers" would be the ones to act like "petty tyrants". But there you are on an everyday basis having to be irritated by smokers who only don't like the kind of tobacco you are smoking. I think you have shown External Consideration by stepping away from them while smoking so I think you have done your best there.

A few times I have had ex-smokers tell me how bad smoking is for me. They are a difficult crowd to sell the benefits of smoking to for sure. One sister-in-law who smoked for many years is now on oxygen and has COPD and has gone through chemo-therapy. I don't think she is likely to see my choice to smoke as beneficial so I can only say it once that it is the commercial additives that are in my opinion the problem. The same thing just happened recently with another family member, a cousin by marriage who has heart problems and breathing problems and is quitting smoking after smoking many years. Of course she tells me it's bad and I accept her opinion. I can only say it once why I smoke and point out that I only smoke organic tobacco which doesn't have the additives or commercial fertilizers.

Since you like your job I know this makes it more of a stressful situation. I would not think you would be fired just because you smoke a different type of tobacco. If they are making fun of you I think you could still casually mention that you only smoke if the tobacco is natural/organic without additives and for you that is a benefit (unless you already did that). It sounds like they don't want to face their own risks with the commercial/industrial cigarettes they are smoking. It seems like even though you are a smoker you are too health minded for them, almost like a non-smoker which is makes them uncomfortable.

So, as long as you still like your job I would just consider them as "petty tyrants" that go with the territory as best you can. Hopefully, the more they see they can't get under your skin they will just drop the comments. FWIW

Dakota said:
Back on subject, smoking is real issue on my job because I smoke domestic tobacco that have different smell than regular and chef (which is smoker too, but industrial cigarettes) make big fuss about it and owner of restaurant too.

Could you not smoke while you are at work? If not smoking is not possible, could you take a smoke break while you go on a short walk? Your excuse could be that you like to go for a walk alone.

hlat said:
Dakota said:
Back on subject, smoking is real issue on my job because I smoke domestic tobacco that have different smell than regular and chef (which is smoker too, but industrial cigarettes) make big fuss about it and owner of restaurant too.
Could you not smoke while you are at work? If not smoking is not possible, could you take a smoke break while you go on a short walk? Your excuse could be that you like to go for a walk alone.

Thanks for advice, problem is with this season job that I have to work all day and I don't have normal break because I work alone on my station (in some months when there's no much guests), so when the order come I have to be there. Even tobacco helps me to overcome stress maybe I could minimize how much I smoke. Great, I think that this I'm going to apply in every situation that I feel uncomfortable regarding the tobacco.

goyacobol said:
Dakota,
I share your struggle for balance with trying to navigate between knowing when to speak and when to keep silent. Usually my speaking gets me into more trouble than keeping silent. I am more than eager to "share" my thoughts and opinions (sometimes here on the forum too).

Actually I like to read what you write and I found it refreshing contrary to my need to not speak most of the time when I want to yell (it is usually in situation when someone transfer aggression of his problems on me. It's about old woman that has heavy burden on her back and I try to balance between understanding, helping and learning my lessons). I'm aware that problem with not speaking or speak little or not express my emotions is not good for me or other person. How can I see my mistakes if I don't act? But when I reach to the point with someone that I'm pretty sure that this person don't want to hear what I'm saying and make effort to change that in our relationship I don't want to waste my and her energy on discussion that will not give us something constructive. So, I just leave that things to the point when they natural change.

goyacobol said:
I think you seem to have a good knowledge of the concepts of External Consideration, Strategic Enclosure and Presentation and how tricky it is to know what situation calls for the appropriate action or non-action.

To the some level maybe I do, but there is so many situations, even on this forum, when i don't know how to react. If someone lost someone or need a support, like I don't have a right words to give. Also, sometime I struggle should I say something just to do what is 'right thing' or just be silence because I think my reaction will be total lack of external consideration.

goyacobol said:
A few times I have had ex-smokers tell me how bad smoking is for me. They are a difficult crowd to sell the benefits of smoking to for sure. One sister-in-law who smoked for many years is now on oxygen and has COPD and has gone through chemo-therapy. I don't think she is likely to see my choice to smoke as beneficial so I can only say it once that it is the commercial additives that are in my opinion the problem. The same thing just happened recently with another family member, a cousin by marriage who has heart problems and breathing problems and is quitting smoking after smoking many years. Of course she tells me it's bad and I accept her opinion. I can only say it once why I smoke and point out that I only smoke organic tobacco which doesn't have the additives or commercial fertilizers.

So, how you dealing with this problem of smoking when you with others that are against your smoking?

goyacobol said:
Since you like your job I know this makes it more of a stressful situation. I would not think you would be fired just because you smoke a different type of tobacco. If they are making fun of you I think you could still casually mention that you only smoke if the tobacco is natural/organic without additives and for you that is a benefit (unless you already did that). It sounds like they don't want to face their own risks with the commercial/industrial cigarettes they are smoking. It seems like even though you are a smoker you are too health minded for them, almost like a non-smoker which is makes them uncomfortable.

I think that this year I'm going to try advice from halt and just smoke when I feel that I need for the stress.

goyacobol said:
Dakota,

Dakota said:
After this session I have changed my behaviour big time. But, I still didn't figure out how to stay under the radar when almost everything I do is different from others. I don't have desire to talks others what is wrong and what is not, but they from the false care for me try to convince me to do things the way they think is right, eat gluten, drink milk, eat legumes, don't smoke and etc. Usually I just use silence like a tool to change the subject, and sometimes I defend my self that is my right to chose for my self what is best. People usually like to think that they know everything about something if they do the thing.
I just wanted to reply but I think that we are oftopic.

Yes and I don't feel strong enough to tell them what I really think about smoking, that it is good for me. Sometimes I tell to those people that I would rather smoke than have candies but it is not the right thing to do as they don't see anything more dangerous than smoking. So most of the time I just tell them nicely that I don't want to stop and I change of topic.

[quote author=goyacobol]Well, it's not exactly on topic but I think many of us struggle with our interactions and reactions to the smoking (especially these days}. Our problem does tie in with deciding whether "Smoking is good?". Of course most of the public has decided for us already so we are in this dilemma.

I think the session you quoted ties in with Strategic enclosure and External consideration and then takes it a step further with our total package "presentation".

Smoking is just one part of some of our lives. People will sometimes be able to see us as more than just "smokers" but many can be very judgmental and it seems more difficult with all the anti-smoking propaganda.[/quote]

And this judgmental behavior will usually be decisive for me to decide if I should or not put some energy on defending myself. I don't want to fight for my opinions on smoking, it is probably my strategy to avoid conflict and the difficulty of it.

(L) So these are the kinds of small changes people can make. And by making these changes, what then happens?

A: Will attract the new reality incrementally.

While smoking is a not attractive to many these days there are many other life styles and habits that would qualify as unattractive besides smoking. In the end it might be best to think like the quote from Caesar:

It still seems far for me, I guess that for now, the best I can do is to enjoy the path. But fear is probably my biggest weakness.

Lys said:
<snip>

It still seems far for me, I guess that for now, the best I can do is to enjoy the path. But fear is probably my biggest weakness.

Lys,

I think many of us have a "far" ways to go before we lose all our fear/fears but together we can be less fearful by sharing our knowledge I think.

Here is one place where the Cs talk about fear:

Session 5 October 1994
Q: (L) Do demons and evil spirits fear anything?
A: Yes.
Q: (L) Do they fear any power that we, as humans, possess?
A: Yes. Knowledge.
Q: (L) Do they fear religious symbols, signs or figures?
A: No.
Q: (L) Is there any name or sign or symbol that can halt their activity?
A: Sometimes.
{It is curious that the Cassiopaeans have said that "demons" do not "fear" religious symbols, signs or figures, but that there may be
some name, sign or symbol that can halt their activity! A most interesting clue.}
Q: (L) Were they afraid of Christ?
A: Yes. Because of his knowledge. The mass of his knowledge raised his vibrations. Knowledge is truly power.

Knowing we are faced with seemingly overwhelming adversaries at times I think it helps to realize that "knowledge protects" and "Knowledge is truly power".

Lys said:
Dakota said:
After this session I have changed my behaviour big time. But, I still didn't figure out how to stay under the radar when almost everything I do is different from others. I don't have desire to talks others what is wrong and what is not, but they from the false care for me try to convince me to do things the way they think is right, eat gluten, drink milk, eat legumes, don't smoke and etc. Usually I just use silence like a tool to change the subject, and sometimes I defend my self that is my right to chose for my self what is best. People usually like to think that they know everything about something if they do the thing.

Yes and I don't feel strong enough to tell them what I really think about smoking, that it is good for me. Sometimes I tell to those people that I would rather smoke than have candies but it is not the right thing to do as they don't see anything more dangerous than smoking. So most of the time I just tell them nicely that I don't want to stop and I change of topic.

I don't think that is good term "right thing". If you put things in that context you choose a side and fall in the same trap that is always easy to fall. Life is much easier to live if we trying to avoid this type of perspective. It's not like I'm successful in living with this point of view, I just realizing this my self. They have their choice and you have yours.

goyacobol said:
Lys said:
<snip>

Lys,

I think many of us have a "far" ways to go before we lose all our fear/fears but together we can be less fearful by sharing our knowledge I think.

Here is one place where the Cs talk about fear:

Session 5 October 1994
Q: (L) Do demons and evil spirits fear anything?
A: Yes.
Q: (L) Do they fear any power that we, as humans, possess?
A: Yes. Knowledge.
Q: (L) Do they fear religious symbols, signs or figures?
A: No.
Q: (L) Is there any name or sign or symbol that can halt their activity?
A: Sometimes.
{It is curious that the Cassiopaeans have said that "demons" do not "fear" religious symbols, signs or figures, but that there may be
some name, sign or symbol that can halt their activity! A most interesting clue.}
Q: (L) Were they afraid of Christ?
A: Yes. Because of his knowledge. The mass of his knowledge raised his vibrations. Knowledge is truly power.

Knowing we are faced with seemingly overwhelming adversaries at times I think it helps to realize that "knowledge protects" and "Knowledge is truly power".

Thank you goyacobol, I didn't really acknowledged that I am not the only one to have this feeling, it helps to read this to be less self-centered. And this forum makes me want to learn more again. I hope that one day I will be able to give back what I learn everyday.

Dakota said:
Lys said:
Dakota said:

I don't think that is good term "right thing". If you put things in that context you choose a side and fall in the same trap that is always easy to fall. Life is much easier to live if we trying to avoid this type of perspective. It's not like I'm successful in living with this point of view, I just realizing this my self. They have their choice and you have yours.

Dakota, I didn't see it like this and this feels good to read your post. I think that you are actually right and that it is easy to feel superior or smarter by doing a particular choice (in this case, smoking). I am not sure if this is what you were saying but this is how I understand it and I thank you for your feedback.
By saying this, I jump onto the side that I actually want to avoid, being judgemental.
Now, thinking about this, I find it even more difficult to know what to say and what to do in this case of being confronted with people trying to make me stop or making unpleasant comments about smoking. :headbash: :rotfl:
I'll have a smoke and think about it and until I find the answer, I'll just be quiet. :cool2:

Dakota said:
Lys said:
Dakota said:

Lys said:
Dakota, I didn't see it like this and this feels good to read your post. I think that you are actually right and that it is easy to feel superior or smarter by doing a particular choice (in this case, smoking). I am not sure if this is what you were saying but this is how I understand it and I thank you for your feedback.
By saying this, I jump onto the side that I actually want to avoid, being judgemental.

Judging

I've been thinking a lot about judging in my life. If I look in my past that was one of loop in my life that I have lived over and over again. Recently I read The Wave and some information and the way they was written just set on the right place in me. I was one of the people that had read sessions before The Wave what is not recommended and I now I know why. Last time when I post my comment I wanted to share some things from the book, but I have Croatian version and didn't want translate to English because I could easily translate it wrong. If you didn't read The Wave, please do. Also, sometimes I think that is better to explain my unique point of view and not just post some quote or study. Real experience is more vivid, IMO. So, I'm gonna talk from my experience:

For 38 years I fought that tobacco is evil and that smokers are weak, addicted people. All those years I judged them. Now, tobacco helps me in many problems. From stress, concentrations to the constipation.
Couple years ago I had a vegan catering, I was convince that I'm doing something healthy and because I was only vegan catering in town I fought that is so noble of me and that I'm the only cook in my town that gives people opportunity to eat healthy in physical and spiritual way. Now, I'm ashamed that I have sold people unhealthy food, especially under the flag "healthy food".
So many times in my life I fought that I'm right and that someone is wrong. I can't remember one thing that I was right. With knowledge my perspective changed.
All those years I felt exhausted by my own criticizing others and their believes, way of living.

One other problem that comes with judging is that never is one sentence, it seems to me (trough observing my self) that with one verdict there always bunch of other judgments and in second you feel like all you being is one big judgment that is just useless, except for food for the Lizzards what they using profusely).

The more one knows the wider is perspective, there is more that one can understand, others/himself.
When you chose side, you chose because you judged something. How can you see something objectively if you want knowledge only to confirm what you already know? And with that you have job to do with breaking your illusions and decrystallization.
Also (IMO), with knowledge usually comes knowing that you don't know a lot or even anything. There is always present feeling of uncomfortable because you know that you don't know. Also, who can say that he knows everything or how can one say that he knows a lot? How can he knows how much he doesn't know if he don't know how much he knows?
That's way is good to be objective and not judge people, also himself. Observing and analyzing, ok, judging just to feel bad is useless.

Lys said:
Now, thinking about this, I find it even more difficult to know what to say and what to do in this case of being confronted with people trying to make me stop or making unpleasant comments about smoking. :headbash: :rotfl:
I'll have a smoke and think about it and until I find the answer, I'll just be quiet. :cool2:

If I may suggest, if you wanna be quiet because you see something constructive for yourself or thing that could help you to feel better that's ok. But if that is just part of program "playing victim" than that is the burden that will fall apart eventually.

I hope that you will understand my post, English is not my native language. If not, I would gladly explain what is not meaningful.

Lys said:

Judging

I've been thinking a lot about judging in my life. If I look in my past that was one of loop in my life that I have lived over and over again. Recently I read The Wave and some information and the way they was written just set on the right place in me. I was one of the people that had read sessions before The Wave what is not recommended and I now I know why. Last time when I post my comment I wanted to share some things from the book, but I have Croatian version and didn't want translate to English because I could easily translate it wrong. If you didn't read The Wave, please do. Also, sometimes I think that is better to explain my unique point of view and not just post some quote or study. Real experience is more vivid, IMO. So, I'm gonna talk from my experience:

For 38 years I fought that tobacco is evil and that smokers are weak, addicted people. All those years I judged them. Now, tobacco helps me in many problems. From stress, concentrations to the constipation.
Couple years ago I had a vegan catering, I was convince that I'm doing something healthy and because I was only vegan catering in town I fought that is so noble of me and that I'm the only cook in my town that gives people opportunity to eat healthy in physical and spiritual way. Now, I'm ashamed that I have sold people unhealthy food, especially under the flag "healthy food".
So many times in my life I fought that I'm right and that someone is wrong. I can't remember one thing that I was right. With knowledge my perspective changed.
All those years I felt exhausted by my own criticizing others and their believes, way of living.

One other problem that comes with judging is that never is one sentence, it seems to me (trough observing my self) that with one verdict there always bunch of other judgments and in second you feel like all you being is one big judgment that is just useless, except for food for the Lizzards what they using profusely).

The more one knows the wider is perspective, there is more that one can understand, others/himself.
When you chose side, you chose because you judged something. How can you see something objectively if you want knowledge only to confirm what you already know? And with that you have job to do with breaking your illusions and decrystallization.
Also (IMO), with knowledge usually comes knowing that you don't know a lot or even anything. There is always present feeling of uncomfortable because you know that you don't know. Also, who can say that he knows everything or how can one say that he knows a lot? How can he knows how much he doesn't know if he don't know how much he knows?
That's way is good to be objective and not judge people, also himself. Observing and analyzing, ok, judging just to feel bad is useless.

Lys said:

If I may suggest, if you wanna be quiet because you see something constructive for yourself or thing that could help you to feel better that's ok. But if that is just part of program "playing victim" than that is the burden that will fall apart eventually.

I hope that you will understand my post, English is not my native language. If not, I would gladly explain what is not meaningful.

English is not my native language too and I understand your post.

I have been judging others and myself all my life and I still do it. I am trying to work on it and this is why I decided to sing in, I didn't want to stay a lurker and I know that I need feedback from people and I choose this place to receive it.
So I appreciate the fact that you share your experience to explain your idea to me. This is effectively more vivid and understandable for me.

The reason I wrote that I will be quiet is that I need time to process what I read, what you and others said to me and I want to take some time to observe and analyze myself, my reactions. Or at least I am trying to.
This is not an easy thing. So by this time, I think I'd better to listen instead of talking because I realized that sometimes I am in lack of thinking before replying to people who tell me to stop smoking or that it is bad for me.
This is not in my favour to stay quiet in here, on the forum, because I would loose the occasion to learn.

I don't want to play victim, I have done it before to satisfy my ego and I realize everyday how I have been lying to myself and how it is useless.

I started reading The wave, I am at the moment into Striped to the bones and I will need to read it again and again.
And the more I learn, the less I know. It is frustrating but it worth it.

Lys said:
English is not my native language too and I understand your post.

I have been judging others and myself all my life and I still do it. I am trying to work on it and this is why I decided to sing in, I didn't want to stay a lurker and I know that I need feedback from people and I choose this place to receive it.
So I appreciate the fact that you share your experience to explain your idea to me. This is effectively more vivid and understandable for me.

The reason I wrote that I will be quiet is that I need time to process what I read, what you and others said to me and I want to take some time to observe and analyze myself, my reactions. Or at least I am trying to.
This is not an easy thing. So by this time, I think I'd better to listen instead of talking because I realized that sometimes I am in lack of thinking before replying to people who tell me to stop smoking or that it is bad for me.
This is not in my favour to stay quiet in here, on the forum, because I would loose the occasion to learn.

I don't want to play victim, I have done it before to satisfy my ego and I realize everyday how I have been lying to myself and how it is useless.

I started reading The wave, I am at the moment into Striped to the bones and I will need to read it again and again.
And the more I learn, the less I know. It is frustrating but it worth it.

It's amazing when someone from France and someone from Croatia can understand each other with little bit of effort learning English. I love French, beautiful language (sound like a Trump :scared:). I could easily understand but I'm not good in writing anymore.

I'm not sure is it possible that we could ever stop judging, how can we make decisions if we not judge? Or maybe there is answer of this somewhere in recommended material. Sometime I can see, very clearly, that information came in my life in the right moment, when I can easily understand them and implement learned in my life.

What is general opinion in France about smoking?

This is what I thought when I answered your post! It feels good to have a language which gathers everyone over the world.

The opinion bout smoking in France evolved during the last years.
I can still remember the smell of cigarette and beer when my father used to buy his cigarillos.
In France you buy your cigarettes in a "brasserie", kind of cafe restaurant where people gather to gamble on horses races on TV. When I was a little girl it was allowed to smoke inside, in every public places. Smoking used to look cool and smart.

But since the law changed, the general opinion changed to, people are getting less tolerant. But it isn't worse than in some other countries like Australia.
I started to learn naturopathy and even my colleagues smoke and it is good to feel free to do what I think is good for me.

The same in Croatia. The only ban that still didn't arrived in my country is the one banning smoking in our own home.
Suddenly with so much propaganda people are convinced that smoking, even organic domestic tobacco is unhealthy and filthy. Makes you feel like second-class citizen.
If anyone ever want to discuss this issue with someone and searching for some real and detail truth here is great article about Tobacco Control Lobby and how they managed to conditioned people about this:

English: The epidemic of junk science in tobacco smoking research
Croatian: Epidemija 'junk' znanosti u istraživanju pušenja duhana

It's been half a year since I started smoking and I have drawn two conclusions:
- It isn't addictive to me, I can go days without any, and then, light up several during a day. On average, I smoke 2-3 cigarettes per day.
- It relaxes me and I tend to smoke more often when I come home stressed from work problems.

Back
Top Bottom