SMF mod - bookmarks for forum topics

JonnyRadar

The Living Force
hello mods, fully operational deathstar technicians ;) i was going to send this directly to kresnik, but cannot find out what his new username is (?)

came across this while browsing the SMF mod site the other day, and thought it may be a good addition to the repertoire of features for the forum.

_http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=864 (screenshots available on the site)

Features:

- One-click adding of bookmarks
- User friendly interface for managing bookmarks
- Automatically delete bookmarks when the topic they link to is deleted.

seemed to make sense, as the content of the forum seems to be increasing tenfold every day. with this feature, members can bookmark their favorite topics and have them show in an easy list which is available as a menu item when logged in. it's not the same for everyone, rather customized to each member. IMO, this would cut down on a lot of time spent searching for certain topics that have already been read by said members.

i know people can always bookmark stuff in their browser, but thought it would be nice to have specific forum topic bookmarks centralized and easily accessible.

fwiw...

:)

YES !!! YES !!! YES !!! I second this motion!!! I was having the very same thought just a few days ago. Little harder to keep track of threads I am in the process of reading, when I have not posted in them, and a recent post has not necessarily been made in them.

And yes.... I realize that I could write it all down. But being able to bookmark would be SUPER helpful.

Thank you for bringing this up JonnyRadar.
~Lar

Mr. Scott said:
Okay, it's up and running!
:D

sweet :) however i don't see the bookmark option in the topics (?) i logged out, cleared my cache, restarted the comp and still don't see it... Lauranimal, out of curiosity, what browser do you use and are you able to see the feature?

edit: i use safari 4.0.3 - perhaps that is the issue, but i don't think it would make a difference if it's part of SMF...

I do not see it either, and unlike JonnyRadar use Firefox 3.0 (though the browser indeed should not be relevant)

gaaah :-[ i didn't notice there's a compatibility problem that just so happens to be only with the specific version of SMF you guys are running.

Mr. Scott, i sent you a PM with more details...

momentary lapse of observation of details, where that damn devil is! :rolleyes:

Iiiiii'm not seein' it either. I do use Firefox. Maybe it is not us who has to log out and log back in, but the moderator who re-sets the forum option ???

I am a true computard, and shouldn't even be hazarding a guess.

JonnyRadar said:
i didn't notice there's a compatibility problem that just so happens to be only with the specific version of SMF you guys are running.

Hi JonnyRadar,

I am not sure what you mean? If you scroll down on the "manual install instruction", you can see that 1.1.10 is listed although it's not listed under compatibility. :huh: Could be an error, perhaps.

In any case, I don't see the bookmark button either. Using FireFox 3.5.3.

Vulcan59 said:
Hi JonnyRadar,

I am not sure what you mean? If you scroll down on the "manual install instruction", you can see that 1.1.10 is listed although it's not listed under compatibility. :huh: Could be an error, perhaps.

In any case, I don't see the bookmark button either. Using FireFox 3.5.3.

just did some more searching, and everything i've found says the compatibility issue is with the auto-install, and that doing the manual install for 1.1.10 would make it work. i have to run out the door but as soon as i get a chance i'll run a manual install on my test forum and report back...

I did the manual install because we don't use the default forum theme. The problem was that you have to specifically set permissions for each user group to make the bookmarks stuff show up - which they didn't bother to mention! :rolleyes:

So, it should be showing up for everyone now.

Yes, it showed up!! Thank you Mr. Scott and JonnyRadar for asking this!
This will become a very useful function for sure. :thup:

Mr. Scott said:
I did the manual install because we don't use the default forum theme. The problem was that you have to specifically set permissions for each user group to make the bookmarks stuff show up - which they didn't bother to mention! :rolleyes:

So, it should be showing up for everyone now.

nice! :D i can see it as well... gonna go bookmark my favorite topics right now... :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom