Signs is Blocked, Yay thought Police!

N

NandGone

So for the Past day or two This wonderful website has been unavailable to me. It acted like it was down. So knowing things happen, I thought nothing of it. Then tonight it Worked for me and as I was perusing the forums and it inexplicably stopped working.

But for some reason this time just wreaked of something wrong. I could just tell from no posts about a day long downtime to it just going away again I started to wonder if I was being interfered with.

So i hopped on Google and found a simple proxy server site and tried to connect. And Behold! it works! But now the fun starts. I use Firefox and a tab junkie so I still have the non proxy instanced Signs pages up. So I try to access them and its a no go, try through the proxy and it works.

So at best this is a ip range ban is the best I can come up with. We all know what the much more likely reality seems.

So, as just a kicker i took a screenshot -
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=no service.JPG

I live in South Carolina and it was about 10:15 when it started.

Just an interesting real life example of the wonderful thought police.

I see I see. That was my first reaction. But then why if I browse normally to this site i cannot access it but if i proxy to it I have no problems?

NandGone said:
I see I see. That was my first reaction. But then why if I browse normally to this site i cannot access it but if i proxy to it I have no problems?
Not being a tekkie, I can't answer that. The only thing I know is that we just paid for a mirror drive on our dedicated server and after everything was up and running fine, everybody was happy all over the planet, then "boom!" it went down. Not only was it down, but the service provider was acting like they fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down. I don't really believe they were that stupid and it was all a game to make excuses to extend the down time, make us disappear from google, and maybe "send a message" from whoever was putting pressure on them.

Well, after 60 or so hours of trying to deal with obvious cretins, we changed service provider. It will be awhile before the new isp is propagated.

I DID think that, yeah, we were being driven out of the U.S. so that the PTB could block sott from all U.S. citizens... but we have a back-up plan for that. It will just take a bit to implement...

So, let's give the guys a few more days to work out the bugs and set some safeguards in place. At the moment, we are just glad that the site is back up, minimal data loss, and only a few glitches considering we had to recover everything.

And it seems your backup plan works beautifully. Thank you for all that you do! And even for some things you don't :)

Glad to see sott back online. Do you still experience the attack? I don't seem to be able to access sott from work network, says 'connection is refused', but I can access through different one no problem.

Nandgone, if the SOTT server was moved from one hosting company to another, it would have a new IP. sott.net is just a easy-to-remember name for a string of numbers. DNS servers remember those numbers and those names, but the change sometimes takes a while to propagate between DNS servers on the internet. So, the proxy server you were accessing may have had up-to-date DNS records, but your own ISP's DNS didn't. [see DNS on wikipedia]

Hello SOTT....WELCOME BACK !!!!! :) :) :)

I am so happy to see SOTT back. The last two days I tried several times to get SOTT but no luck. I also emailed SOTT but got message that it was undelivered because the site was down.

SOTT was always important to me but I didn't realise how much until it was gone.

BIG THANKS to all who worked so hard to get SOTT back. Much appreciated. :)

Amoeba

Back
Top Bottom