Shrinking packages and deceptive labels

BK

Padawan Learner
I went to Wal-Mart for my groceries and noticed something different about an item that I usually purchase. The item is canned tuna.
Something didn't look right, so I picked up the can of tuna and examined it
The 6 ounce can of the Wal-Mart brand of chunk light tuna in water has now become a 5 ounce can. The fine print on the can now says 5 ounces.
This is a recent change and the unit price label on the shelf still shows the item as being 6 ounces. The price is also the same.
So the price stayed the same, the can shrunk by about 17%, and the label is misleading.
I remember the days when it used to be 6 1/2 ounces, then 6 1/8, then 6, and now it's 5 ounces.
It's nice to know that Wal-Mart has no problem jacking around, playing games like this. Signs of the times, the giant pirate ship sails onward.

Apparently this is even more widespread than Walmart. Several weeks ago, I saw a report by our local TV News on just this topic. According to them, even major brands can be found that have reduced size of product while leaving price intact. If I remember correctly, they had asked the companies about it and they (the companies) admitted that yes, it was one of their strategies to "keep food prices down". Well, it does keep the price of a can of tuna down, but the price of an ounce of tuna just went up...

If they don't decrease the weight of a food item, they add more filler. The other day I bought a jar of Kraft peanut butter, and when I opened it, it contained a lot more oil than it used to. In fact, I'll bet it was at least 10% more.

I am having arguments with my girlfriend,she says I paid too much for this and that.
I reply you can not get food for those prices anymore,and its just the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom