Show #35: Surviving the End of the World (as we Know it)

Gawan on Yesterday at 08:29:13 PM said:
Imo the things that got mentioned were suggestions to get the idea and I'm not sure if the lower numbers are less important.

Hello Gawan. No, I didn't think that the lower numbers were/are less important, since the team were reading from the book (I've forgotten the title) i just wondered why those things were in the lower 60's. Of course anyone will choose the most appropriate for their situation, in my mind (because i think they were on the point about urban areas, which concerns myself & others i could help) those would be in say, a top 25.

I would also include a bicycle as the streets, i would imagine, would be notorious. The riots of two summers ago in the UK by many young people (& some older ones who should've known better) springs to mind. The bicycle was mentioned in the show which i hadn't thought of (a good one, thanks btw) which was something i was actually trying to save up for during the summer, although that was to save public transport money. Canning comes first for me, but a bike is on the list now for sure.

Heimdallr said:
Laura said:
Psychology of survival:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBKJPiKRLJE

I've watched that previously, and have to recommend Ray Mears' TV episodes "Bushcraft" for anyone interested in learning more about surviving "on the land". He typically travels to a specific area of the world in each episode and shows how you can use the land to survive and how the locals have managed to use what some would call primitive technology for survival purposes. He's entertaining and educational in his presentation and shows a lot of respect for the people in the areas that he travels to.

Yeah, i second that. He's been great for a long time & i prefer him to the more popular (from what I hear) "Bear gryllis." (i'm sure i've mis-spelt his name) I used to watch a lot of those shows with friends many years ago, along with regular wildlife shows. Thankfully i know a few people who are big with getting all the camping & survival gear & use them on occasion. I'm gonna have a sit-down with at least one (the most knowledgeable) who's open to the changes that we're discussing here. I'll ask to be taught one or two skills as well.

Bruce parry is also entertaining & educational, but his shows aren't really about survival but I wouldn't overlook his worth, if anyone has time to watch is interested. Watching Ray Mears is definitely advisable. Here's a Bruce Parry vid, his Amazon vids are his best known though. www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAmq9AlOB4U

Edited: whoops! Wrong one. My eyes saw 1hour 30 when it was a 1min 30 preview. Here's the proper vid. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ANa84D-PE&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dm2ANa84D-PE%26feature%3Dyoutu.be

Laura said:
Psychology of survival:

Ray Mears' material is wonderful, OSIT.

I was thinking that the psychology of survival can apply to all kinds of hardships in our lives. Not just plane crashes, the aftermath of an ice-age, meteorites and so on, but any challenge that we have to deal with.
The difference between optimism and pessimism or depression can mean life or death. The example of these men on these two different rafts, connected to each other with a rope, where two different attitudes reigned couldn't be clearer. The one group made sure they had some kind of routine or discipline, the leader asking everybody after their well-being, rationing food and drink equally, removing seawater from the raft etc. and the other group sunk into despair and didn't do any of these things. Maybe that is another reason why keeping yourself clean is so important. It is not only a question of keeping your humanity and your dignity and keeping diseases at bay, but also it can be part of a routine or helps you establish some discipline.

One of the sisters in the video said something which is key: We tend to focus on what our limits are, but we don't know what our limits are.

Edit: spelling

Laura said:
Psychology of survival:

The academic who was interviewed in the show said: "Those people who survive report an ability to break their survival down into several tasks and to take it one step at a time. Survival is not a big task it is a whole series of small tasks." So not getting overwhelmed with the entirety of the situation but being cognizant of, and acting on, the different needs that arise seems to be key. Every action that can be taken that is based on one's seeing things as they are is therefore forwarding, increases the probability of survival - and hopefully more than just survival.

Not sure if this book has been mentioned before - Deep Survival, Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why - Laurence Gonzales.

The author spent a large part of his researching the psychology of how people survive, in all sorts of situations, mountains, flying, sailing, skiing, snowboarding (and transferable to other situatons). His findings agree with what Ennio has written above, and Laura previously, and there is a lot, lot more.

Highly recommended (and includes a lot of Stoic quotes too).

Prodigal Son said:
Not sure if this book has been mentioned before - Deep Survival, Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why - Laurence Gonzales.

The author spent a large part of his researching the psychology of how people survive, in all sorts of situations, mountains, flying, sailing, skiing, snowboarding (and transferable to other situatons). His findings agree with what Ennio has written above, and Laura previously, and there is a lot, lot more.

Highly recommended (and includes a lot of Stoic quotes too).

I've read this recently, and I agree -- it's a very good book. He has a couple other books I'd like to read as well:

Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things

Surviving Survival: The Art and Science of Resilience

Ennio said:
Laura said:
Psychology of survival:

The academic who was interviewed in the show said: "Those people who survive report an ability to break their survival down into several tasks and to take it one step at a time. Survival is not a big task it is a whole series of small tasks." So not getting overwhelmed with the entirety of the situation but being cognizant of, and acting on, the different needs that arise seems to be key. Every action that can be taken that is based on one's seeing things as they are is therefore forwarding, increases the probability of survival - and hopefully more than just survival.

This video is discussed briefly under this thread:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,26063.msg310746.html#msg310746

“What is the most critical factor when it comes to surviving in a hostile environment?”

There are three main real life examples that clearly show that the answer is - the mind, and a couple of experts offer their views.

“It doesn’t matter how well your body is functioning, essentially if we’re talking survival, it is the mind that keeps you alive.”
Dr John Leach, Lancaster University

Survival is psychology, because your head is what makes the decisions about how you perceive the threat that you’re faced with and whether you’re going to approach it with a realistic optimism or whether you’ll feel overwhelmed and quit and perish.”
Col. Bruce Jessen, US Forces psychologist

Part 1 highlights the two different approaches (mindsets) by the occupants of two life rafts with identical provisions, following the capsizing of their fishing boat.

Also, following the 1996 hijacking of an Ethiopian plane, which later crashes into the sea, the subject of denial and consequences of panic driven decision making (many died from drowning not impact injuries, as they had inflated their life jackets before the crash) are discussed.

“the problem with denial is that it prevents us from taking the basic actions that are required to survive.” Dr J. L

In parts 2 and 3, the extraordinary survival of the Wortman family is examined, following a boating trip in S.E. Alaska. Ray Mears uses the acronym, STOP, to explain how the family acted and how effective the strategy is in an emergency situation:

S - Stop, don’t panic
T - Think about your situation
O - Orientate yourself
P - Plan

He concludes, “We all of us, at some point in our lives find events spiralling out of control, at those times, its not what you know that counts but how you apply it.”

The true life examples presented in this programme, together with the fictional experiences in Terry Nations’ The Survivors TV series, can give us a valuable insight into our own respective situations and learning opportunities, past as well as present, and how we act(ed) or react(ed)."

The simple strategy that Ray Mears mentions, namely STOP, can be a very useful tool - east to remember in times of severe upheaval/stress/panic. Invariably, Mr Wortman had taught his family about the 'potential' dangers and how best to overcome them. By probably having 'repeatedly' the message consistantly, the children were able to overide their 'normalcy bias' and survive.

Irrespective of how well stocked our 'hurricane kits' or 'hurricane shelters' may be; the crucial factor is the ability to make rational decisions under severe stress (personal, societal or environmental).

No matter how many times I watch and listen to the Chelyabinsk meteor, or read books pertaining to sudden glacial rebound (for example) I cannot assume I will not 'freeze' with fear or panic like those around me invariably will. But - such repetition - may be the factor that enables me to make the best decisions for my survival (and my loved ones).

Knowledge protects - when applied, as Laura said. Understanding psychology, as best we can, seems a crucial component in triggering this application.

Thanks for a very inspiring show!!! :)

Apart from the essential items of food and water; shelter is one that is often overlooked.

One form of shelter that is inexpensive (dirt cheap actually!) and may be beneficial considering Earth Changes is earthbag building. The following is a good link to the process.

http://calearth.org/building-designs/emergency-sandbag-shelter.html

There are a couple of links pertaining to earthbag building on the Forum:

Earth sheltered home design
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,31019.msg408803.html#msg408803

Shelter for Soul Communities
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,30945.msg407812.html#msg407812

manitoban said:
I'd recommend this book - "The Soapmaker's Companion" by Susan Miller Cavitch, (available on Amazon and in some bookstores) for a beginner as it is very comprehensive and also has numerous recipes, with all the lye percentages already worked out for you. [...]

I think the main thing is to have a thorough understanding of the chemical process and the safety concerns, and then you can get started.

Thank you! (And thanks Jasmine) for the tips. I'll do as you suggest, get the book you recommended, and only try once we have a good understanding of the chemical process. Another fun skill to learn! :) I haven't see any classes available around our area, but will check.

I've ran into this message board a while back, they specialize in survival.
Here's their recommended reading list: http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=5967

luke wilson said:
My post was very negative.

Oh yes, I am on the Paleo diet, I eat a lot of fat, always have as part of my native diet.

Regarding location, I am to far north and in a country that will surely get pummeled beyond all recognition - The UK. Over 60 million people on a small Island. Bad recipe. I think the best place for ice age would be further south. If transportation breaks down, then we might be stuck and the geology around here is rather boring, I doubt it'll offer much protection. The cars aren't built for tough environments, rather for nice easy living. There isn't much in the way of food, most of it is imported. It's horrendous. Basically, I think in any major cataclysm, the first order of business would be to get out, go south, preferably somewhere where the local population knows how to live with minimal power & modern amenities, government sponsored systems etc. I have a second home, east africa sat nicely on top of he equator, but that is rather far away from where I am now. What are the chances of getting there? Well it depends on if the airports would be working and how long they would take to shut down, otherwise mainland europe would be the next best step or maybe eastern europe.

Furthermore, I believe the people around here won't take kindly to all the modern amenities being turned off in essentially one swoop - no supermarkets, no gas stations, no Mcdonalds, no motorways, no government to tell you what to do, no integrated communication system. This is all a recipe for disaster. I need to go somewhere south but I can't do that, that is just ridiculous. I have to wait.

You seem to be imagining a scenario where you have done nothing, made no preparations or plans, before the SHTF. As we said repeatedly on the show, that's the LAST approach you want to take. Ideally, you would have put some plan into action BEFORE the SHTF and you would do that based on careful and continuous observation of what is going on in the world around you.

Thank you very much for the great show.

On the seventh day you shall rest. I found following this saying very wise during times of physical and psychical stress. It gives you a much-needed break during demanding times. It does not necessarily mean that you do nothing but something that gives you some rest.

Surviving Fundamentals (from Heinz Volz - Überleben in Natur und Umwelt)

You can only survive if you have the will to do so!
Stay calm, use your strength meaningful!
Excitement is stressful and leads to rash decisions!
Rescue is only possible if you avoid panic and overcome your fear!
Never let courage and confidence decline!
Always hope for the best, but always be prepared for the worst!
Dominate any situation! Let 'you do not speak of it!
Always think of new ways out! Improvise!
Only those who give up themselves, are lost!

It is still time to prepare and to learn something additional and useful. Let us start. :)
Knowledge protects.

---------------------------------------------------

Am siebten Tage sollst Du ruhen. Ich fand dieses Sprichwort sehr sinnvoll in Zeiten physischen und psychischen Stresses. Es gibt Dir eine dringend benötigte Pause in schwierigen Zeiten. Es muß nicht unbedingt bedeuten, daß man nichts tut, sondern etwas, das einem etwas Ruhe gibt.

Überlebensgrundsätze (von Heinz Volz - Überleben in Natur und Umwelt):

Überleben kannst Du nur, wenn Du den Willen dazu hast!
Behalte die Ruhe, teile Deine Kräfte sinnvoll ein!
Erregung kostet Nervenkraft und führt zu übereilten Entschlüssen!
Rettung ist nur möglich, wenn Du Panik vermeidest und Furcht überwindest!
Lasse nie Mut und Selbstvertrauen sinken!
Erhoffe stetes das Beste, sei aber immer auf das Schlechteste vorbereitet!
Beherrsche jede Situation! Laß' Dich nicht von ihr beherrschen!
Erdenke immer neue Aushilfen! Improvisiere!
Nur wer sich selbst aufgibt, ist verloren!

Noch ist Zeit für Vorbereitung und etwas Neues lernen. Packen wir es an. :)
Knowledge protects.

whitecoast said:
Thanks everyone for the awesome episode! I was wondering, where could one find the list of "most valuable post-collapse items" that was recounted later on in the show?

Do you mean this?:

_www.thepowerhour.com/news/items_disappearfirst.htm
_survivalcache.com/top-100-items-to-dissapear-first/
_http://homesteadingandprepping.com/100-items-that-disappear-list-revised-and-updated/
[Oxajil mentioned this one on page 3]

And many others. I searched for: “the hundred first things that disappear during times of crisis". I don't know which is the original one.
Hope it helps

I watched Đejmi Oliver, was in a village in France and performed exactly the recipe leaving meat in fat that you practiced villagers.

He used the duck drumsticks, and mentioned the chicken ... -

First, the meat is put a lot of salt and leave in the refrigerator for 12 h.

After 12 h the little paper towel to wipe remove any salt that remained.

The meat is placed in a pot pour grease (this time he put it in duck fat) and cook for about two and a half hours on low heat.

When the meat is cooked like this puts it in a jar (or glass jars, etc.) pour the same fat to cover the meat.

Fat normally prevents the flow of oxygen that would spoil the meat.

Inga said:
I watched Đejmi Oliver, was in a village in France and performed exactly the recipe leaving meat in fat that you practiced villagers.

He used the duck drumsticks, and mentioned the chicken ... -

First, the meat is put a lot of salt and leave in the refrigerator for 12 h.

After 12 h the little paper towel to wipe remove any salt that remained.

The meat is placed in a pot pour grease (this time he put it in duck fat) and cook for about two and a half hours on low heat.

When the meat is cooked like this puts it in a jar (or glass jars, etc.) pour the same fat to cover the meat.

Fat normally prevents the flow of oxygen that would spoil the meat.

Thanks for sharing Inga. Do you know how long it can be stored afterwards and needs the fat then to be removed when you like to eat it? My personal take would be some months speaking about ghee which is also just fat and can get stored even not in the fridge over a long time period. And I was a bit unsure about the name but I think you meant Jamie Oliver the british cook?

For what it's worth, there's an old Armenian tradition where they make something like a stew in a very large vessel and pour more fat on it at the end of cooking to totally cover the meat. They used to eat it all through the winter in older times. And I've heard it could last up to a year without spoilage if the top is "sealed" with fat all the time. It's still made, but much less people use this old recipe these days.

Back
Top Bottom