Session 23 August 2014

The cold therapies, cold showers/baths, are also discussed to some extent in this thread: Cryogenic Chamber Therapy

Thanks! If I remember correctly it was also advised not to dress too warmly and keeping the temperature down in the house.

Whether people choose to donate, perform the challenge, or do both varies. In one version of the challenge, the participant is expected to donate $10 if they have poured the ice water over their head or donate $100 if they have not. In another version, dumping the ice water over the participant's head is done in lieu of any donation, which has led to some criticisms of the challenge being a form of "slacktivism".[25] Individual videos have included the participant saying that they will be making a donation along with performing the challenge.

Sounds a little dangerous to the uninitiated. :scared:

M.T.

A fascinating session and discussion. Many thanks for the information.

My immediate take-away is to share my feelings more when I'm sharing info on social media, although I have to admit that I struggle with the wall of silence from my friend-base when I'm posting some (OSIT) important and emotive stuff. Don't people care about justice in the world? I'd really like to break the apathy barrier somehow..

Much respect.

With time, I've come to have surprising discussions and feedbacks from social media friends, either in real life or online, but privately. Because even if they are silent, some feel concerned. So we just have to keep posting, it is important.

The next step for me, to get more involved in Sott, is located here :

(KJN) We're beginning to aim things for the group. [???] We're looking at the spectrum of positives and negatives, as in electricity, as in societies, and the whole cosmic thing. We're wondering if you have some advice for our group in order to be able to move our set point, our middle point to a more positive aspect that will counterbalance something in the world. Or should be look at this through a different type of lens?

A: Butterfly wings of sharing information and, most importantly, perspectives.

Q: (L) I think it's not enough to share just factual information. I think you have to share what you feel about it: how it affects you, your emotions, etc. You see something happening, and your perspective is “this is what is happening and this is what I feel”. Probably one of the best and most efficient ways to do that is when you write commentary on SOTT articles. You're sharing the information and you're giving your perspective. And doing it on Facebook, doing it on Twitter, and so on. Doing it whenever you can as long as it doesn't put you in danger or create some problem in your life. I've noticed that just our little mini-campaign has been emboldening other people to come out and say things. I've noticed people have been sharing SOTT links on Twitter who never knew of SOTT before. I've noticed people coming out and saying positive things and seeing through the BS. I've gotten engaged with a few people there. I also got banned by five pro-Ukraine fascists!

(Andromeda) Good job.

(L) But I decided that instead of doing my hit-and-run and telling people that they're delusional idiots, I would instead do my hit-and-run posting of links with information and what I think about it. I was just venting my spleen a little bit. These people were so freaking stupid, I had to tell them! Wasn't my fault!

[laughter]

(L) Sharing a perspective... When a lot of people start doing it, and other people notice it and see that there were ten other people saying the same thing that day, they start to think, "Gee, there must be a lot of people thinking that!" Ya know? Maybe they can allow themselves to think that, too. I think that's important. Okay, I hit the barrier.

I've been avoiding to share my perspectives on the information shared. Mostly by fear of judgement, I guess. We'll see if it makes a difference. I consider it as a new step. Expressing one's emotions...
It just makes me realize how programmed we are to refrain it.

There seems to be a typo in the transcript:

(KJN) We're beginning to aim things for the group. [???] We're looking at the spectrum of positives and negatives, as in electricity, as in societies, and the whole cosmic thing. We're wondering if you have some advice for our group in order to be able to move our set point, our middle point to a more positive aspect that will counterbalance something in the world. Or should be look at this through a different type of lens?

I think "be" should be "we" - but not sure if was just spoken that way? In case someone wants to check and a mod or admin edit the session transcript opening post.

Hanbuj said:
A fascinating session and discussion. Many thanks for the information.

My immediate take-away is to share my feelings more when I'm sharing info on social media, although I have to admit that I struggle with the wall of silence from my friend-base when I'm posting some (OSIT) important and emotive stuff. Don't people care about justice in the world? I'd really like to break the apathy barrier somehow..

Much respect.

Hanbuj, I often feel the same way when sharing things on Facebook because I know most of my friends and family are not co-linear, but I also realized that if they don't want to know, they can block my feed or just ignore me. And pretty much they do seem to ignore me as well, AFAIK. But that is no reason to let them block our signal. The thing is, you never know when someone might surprise you and pick up and /or share something you said, so it's worth the discomfort. Also - you can share things selectively by forming groups on Facebook - also helps with strategic enclosure.

I have also been thinking of how to post content in a way that shares more of my feelings and perspective than just throwing info out there. I really think it touches people on a more personal level and might get people to read articles that they might ignore otherwise. Guess it just takes practice - I am thinking that it might help to visualize actually talking to a person versus typing on a computer as I think it changes how we are able to express ourselves. OSIT.

truth seeker said:
If one really wants to donate to any cause, maybe they should just do it without any expectation of recognition. I dunno, I think there's a sort of grace in giving quietly without wanting anything in return.
I totally agree, sometimes its just fun to take part and if you can share something at the same time on a public forum then all the better. For example I used my video to raise awareness of a different charity. So just because you are following the trend and making a video so everyone can see doesn't always mean the person doing it wants recognition for themselves.

Laura said:
Session Date: August 23rd 2014

A: The killing will continue until even the "silent majority" find their voice. They were silent at the exposure of Ferguson and many previous incidents. But notice that the anger is still building and psychopaths always miscalculate.

Who would be considered the "silent" majority"? It is the majority of the human population?

1peacelover said:
Laura said:
Session Date: August 23rd 2014

A: The killing will continue until even the "silent majority" find their voice. They were silent at the exposure of Ferguson and many previous incidents. But notice that the anger is still building and psychopaths always miscalculate.

Who would be considered the "silent" majority"? It is the majority of the human population?

I took it to mean what you suggested, the human population who stand by and do nothing hence their silence.

Laura said:
A: Butterfly wings of sharing information and, most importantly, perspectives.

Q: (L) I think it's not enough to share just factual information. I think you have to share what you feel about it: how it affects you, your emotions, etc. You see something happening, and your perspective is “this is what is happening and this is what I feel”. Probably one of the best and most efficient ways to do that is when you write commentary on SOTT articles. You're sharing the information and you're giving your perspective. And doing it on Facebook, doing it on Twitter, and so on. Doing it whenever you can as long as it doesn't put you in danger or create some problem in your life. I've noticed that just our little mini-campaign has been emboldening other people to come out and say things. I've noticed people have been sharing SOTT links on Twitter who never knew of SOTT before. I've noticed people coming out and saying positive things and seeing through the BS. I've gotten engaged with a few people there. I also got banned by five pro-Ukraine fascists!

This part of the session really struck a chord with me. It has made me realise what my next lesson is. To learn how to feel, to really feel. If someone were to ask me about how I felt about a subject I would be able to point out factually what my perspective of what I thought was wrong/right, good/bad etc was but when it comes to actual feeling I would have to say indifference, it wouldn't provoke a physical feeling or emotion.

This is something that has been troubling me some some time. My parents raised me in an environment where we didn't talk to each other about anything personal, we didn't express our emotions. It just wasn't something that happened. Personal feelings became an embarrassment and taboo so I built up my armour to defend myself against feeling so that I could emulate my parents. If I needed to cry about something it would be done in private. All my life I have hidden how I felt about things to the point where I have become numb to almost everything. I used to pride myself on being "strong" where sad events wouldn't affect me, or I frowned at outpourings of joy as they were so alien to me, but now I see it as a weakness. Inside I tell myself I should be angry at my parents (even though I know it's not their fault, it's their programmes.) but the feeling isn't there. How can I teach myself to feel again? Is there someone else out there who is having that same problem?

I'd like to be able to share what is inside of me but I'm not sure how to get to it. It's like I see expressing sadness in front of someone else as a weakness, being vulnerable in front of others terrifies me. I have been practising EE regularly for about a month now and I am gradually getting through the recommended reading list (I'm currently reading An unspoken voice and have read the first 3 narcissism books). Is there anything else anyone can suggest that might help me break this block I have, a book or exercise or body work? Even just to know I am not alone in this would help a little.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Hey lainey,

When you read back on your post carefully, you will notice that the feelings still are there most of the time; you just became a master in hiding them from the outer world and from yourself as well.

So a playful way to acknowledge these feelings again would be a reverse hide and seek: detect, uncover and show. That would be a bit by bit process as the habit of suppressing and hiding has been ingrained for so long.

I'm afraid you are the one who has to devise your own personal methods for this endeavor, but generally speaking accessing feelings is most easily done in a relaxed meditative mental state while in a safe environment. The difficult part is not the showing of feelings in front of others as you seem to think now, but the acknowledgment that you still have them in spite of everything you tried to get rid of them.

Journaling about your feelings whenever you detect any, would also be helpful, I think.

I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions.

Hope this helps a bit. :)

Minas Tirith said:
The cold therapies, cold showers/baths, are also discussed to some extent in this thread: Cryogenic Chamber Therapy

Thanks! If I remember correctly it was also advised not to dress too warmly and keeping the temperature down in the house.

M.T.

If we consider Ebola, could sauna be a good idea for keeping toxins out of our bodies!? And, if I remeber correctly, Ebola can survive up to 60 degrees.

lainey said:
I'd like to be able to share what is inside of me but I'm not sure how to get to it. It's like I see expressing sadness in front of someone else as a weakness, being vulnerable in front of others terrifies me.

I think, you need to accept that in you, are things that you don't accept and will not be able to change them instantly. If you accept yourself as you are, you will not be so much concerned about how you are perceived by others, in the way, which may make you feel ashamed and embarrassed.

The way to get to it, before you will express it in front of others, you should do some practice in acceptance of it, those negative programs and emotions, without creating in your mind the narrative which is fragile and seeming from the point of view of other people who are watching you. You may know this subconsciously and it causes emotional blockades in contacts with others.

I hope that this is some tip.

lainey said:
I'd like to be able to share what is inside of me but I'm not sure how to get to it. It's like I see expressing sadness in front of someone else as a weakness, being vulnerable in front of others terrifies me. I have been practising EE regularly for about a month now and I am gradually getting through the recommended reading list (I'm currently reading An unspoken voice and have read the first 3 narcissism books). Is there anything else anyone can suggest that might help me break this block I have, a book or exercise or body work? Even just to know I am not alone in this would help a little.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

I can very much relate to what you've said in your post Lainey and I don't think your experience is uncommon. Infact, I think muting and denying our emotions is probably quite a universal experience in many ways. The vast majority of us are taught from an early age that strong or 'negative' emotions are simply wrong or unacceptable.

Just think of the amount of times you've seen parents tell their children to 'stop crying' whilst not really comforting the child or allowing them to express and process what they're experiencing. This is such a simple and common occurrence and yet crying is actually a very natural and healthy response to uncomfortable stimuli. Along with all the messages we receive as kids about other emotions such as anger and sadness, it's no wonder that by the time we're adults most of us are left with sizeable 'shadow selves' which have been ignored, suppressed and denied.

I suspect most of us live in a degree of fear of expressing this side of ourselves and so we entrain ourselves to become 'numb' to these emotions. Of course this is compounded by living in a world ruled by psychopaths where superficial charm and 'perfection' are glorified whilst normal human emotions of sadness, grief and anger are increasingly pathologized as aberrations.

You mention EE and this has certainly helped me enormously in being able to access and process certain emotions. One big issue I've noticed I've had throughout my life is not being able to fully experience sadness or grief. In the past my sadness has been so suppressed that it appears to transmute into either anger in the form of negative thought loops (often very bitter and aggressive) or complete numbness. In both cases the energy is completely 'stuck' and I'm unable to let go of the loop.

Occasionally during and after EE it's almost like this 'screen' (the looping anger/bitterness whatever) is removed and I can see and feel the sadness I've been carrying. A good technique I've found is to really take note of these feelings, write them down, explore them and then try to use the thoughts and feelings that I've experienced when interacting with others. That's the difficult part though (for me at least) and I think this is where the real work comes in: trying to 'carry' these insights and experiences with me in the real world of everyday life so to speak, recreating the sincerity within myself and making it manifest in my relationships and interactions with others.

In terms of other solutions and ideas, perhaps others will chime in. In a general sense, I guess what we're attempting is to be 100% honest with ourselves in terms of the 'shadow within'. It can be hard (in my experience) as there's the temptation to leave what we perceive as the most damaged and 'ugly' parts of ourselves alone and consider them 'separate' from ourselves. You've raised some important points though. It seems from what laura has said in this session (how we feel) and all the stuff recently about 'connecting chakras' that opening the heart centre is perhaps one of the most pertinent issues for us all right now.

added: Meant to say:

It's like I see expressing sadness in front of someone else as a weakness, being vulnerable in front of others terrifies me

Isn't it interesting that the sadness and the vulnerability you refer to is real, it's authentic, it's you (to some degree at least). And yet the fear of being 'weak' and the terror is what? I guess this is a great example of the work in progress, the struggle between yes and no. Imagine how liberated we would feel to be rid of such terror and just be ourselves........

Back
Top Bottom