Session 14 October 2017

Ellipse said:
Hindsight Man said:
Ellipse said:
Hindsight Man said:
Ellipse said:
The first book as you describe it, is misleading. The aim of meditation is not to be able to be super-concentrated. The aim of meditation is to be more connected with our own upper self. The super-concentration being the tool not the goal. :)

Same for the second book. Seem STS oriented. Mentalist techniques being tools to manipulate others. But with that in mind, you can perhaps be careful and find to use it in an STO way. Would be interesting if you study it and give feedback of your thoughts.

The first book as I described it is about brain training.Not just meditation.
As for the second book,why do you think it's selfish to be observant?

This is not being observant that is selfish. This is for what purpose you train yourself to this ability, that can be.

That's kind of a moot point,since you can apply that to pretty much anything.

Please, don't try to use manipulative techniques by mixing concepts. You asked, you got the answer. If you can't figure out why the basics of a principle is not related to is moot, can't do much for you.

What I was saying was that literally anything can be used for evil purposes.I don't know how you got manipulation out of it.

Hindsight Man said:
Ellipse said:
Hindsight Man said:
Ellipse said:
Hindsight Man said:
Ellipse said:
The first book as you describe it, is misleading. The aim of meditation is not to be able to be super-concentrated. The aim of meditation is to be more connected with our own upper self. The super-concentration being the tool not the goal. :)

Same for the second book. Seem STS oriented. Mentalist techniques being tools to manipulate others. But with that in mind, you can perhaps be careful and find to use it in an STO way. Would be interesting if you study it and give feedback of your thoughts.

This is not being observant that is selfish. This is for what purpose you train yourself to this ability, that can be.

Please, don't try to use manipulative techniques by mixing concepts. You asked, you got the answer. If you can't figure out why the basics of a principle is not related to is moot, can't do much for you.

What I was saying was that literally anything can be used for evil purposes.I don't know how you got manipulation out of it.

Because, as you just show, you know the answer of your own question (the one bolded), but try to confuse the very same answer.

Hindsight Man said:
Laura said:
Of course, being able to read fast with comprehension can facilitate all else so finding a feedback training method to do that isn't a bad idea.

If you find that you need to "rest the brain" from concentrating, go to meditation or relax with some kind of puzzle or what we consider to be beneficial dissociation: morally improving or instructive films or literature. Again, watching films that you wouldn't ordinarily watch because they aren't "exciting enough" and actually require some concentration is a struggle between yes and no and builds brain matter.

Considering the role of the frontal cortex as you will learn about in the "Anatomy of Violence" book, I even wonder if that isn't one of the major benefits of The Work, and possibly the main "receiver" and/or "transmitter" that all of us need to develop in order to "surf the wave" instead of going under. With that possibility in mind, perhaps we should do all we can in this direction?

I see your point,but I still think that having an excellent memory and being a kind of ''detective'' in your everyday life would be beneficial,since you would be able to compare notes in your head instead of having to refer to the physical copy of a book every time and it would also allow you to not only observe your life better but also (speaking as someone who has fallen for very obvious cons before) make you less susceptible to lies,whether they come from individuals or society as a whole.After all even a rose has to grow thorns.

I agree which is why I wrote the part I have put in bold above.

Taking a speed reading course, learning the "art of memory" and a few other skills that you can practice and get down in 6 weeks or so is certainly beneficial. Also, doing things that are difficult and focusing on doing it over and over again until you get really proficient and can do it faster and faster is helpful.

nature said:
Hi Ellipse!
Thank you for your advertising.
I'm currently looking for a good book about meditation, about training on focus and concentration. Do you have recommendations of book or articles (in french if possible, if not, I'll make the effort to read in english if the book worths it)

Hi Nature,

I want to say you: don't read about it, practice it!
I think that reading about meditation is like wanting to read about learning to ride a bike ! It's wired in us, so just use it, I'm sure you know how to do it. You sit in the lotus position and try to blank you mind or visualize an object like a rose or a word.

Eventually look at this post but I don't know if the book is still available. To be sure it's not missed, here is Laura post about meditation.

I am so thankful to Laura for reminding me of the importance of concentration and information on the development of frontal cortex. Little before I was doing exercise for 10 minutes and I felt the strain and increasing blood-circulation in this part of brain. For the last few months I've been trying to bring the brain into shape and it looks like this might have a strong effect and that it is something that was missing in the attempt.
For example, one of the attempts was to lower the head to the ground to increase the blood flow to the brain that feel hungry. I started drinking coffee, taking brain nutrition tablets, oil with Omega-3 and so on. But I did not reach the desired level and I forgot about concentration-exercises.
The main motive is a better learning German. That effort actually showed me how bad my brain is.
When I read Laura's post, I felt as if my personal spiritual teacher was addressing me to help me in the next step which is currently in trouble.

I would say something about the exercise, as a recommendation to others, to boost the effect by doing it during concentration:
- Exhilarating with the imagination of directing energy into the front of the brain, accelerates the development of that part of the brain.
- Minimize, stop with wiggle for better focus/control of energy (concentration).
- Watching a point (as the object of concentration) with minimal blinking makes clearer vision (improves vision).
- If you gradually increase the number of concentration objects - from a grain of rice and the like to more, it helps with skills such as visualization.

Laura said:
hlat said:
While proofreading this post, my bathroom sink literally just broke. My spouse accidentally knocked the soap dispenser into the sink, and it broke a large hole right through the sink. I can stick my fist through the hole in the sink (new meaning to sink hole).

Sounds like some part of you is trying to send another part of you a distinct message!!! He who digs a pit for others can fall into it himself!!! You were pretty busy digging a pit!!!

I didn't understand the message until your explanation. Now I think I get it. Thanks.

Cleo said:
luc said:
Hesper said:
As far as the 'Trolley Problem' there is a thought experiment that goes by that name. From Wikipedia:

The trolley problem thought experiment was mentioned on one of the health and wellness shows some weeks ago, though I'm not sure they used that name, but it was exactly that problem. It was pointed out that in this moral dilemma, most people opt for pulling the lever, thus saving the 5 people but killing the one other person. Interestingly, however, if the question is reframed so that you need to push the one person on the tracks to save the 5 people, most will answer they wouldn't do it.

Found out today that the thought experiment is mentioned in the health and wellness show, 'Chemtrails, Flat Earthers, and Mental Disintegration: What's wrong with these people?' Recommend the show if others haven't heard it.

A facebook group I'm in posted the following recent article based on a recent "Trolley Problem" paper:

article: _https://psmag.com/news/a-hands-on-approach-to-the-trolley-problem

paper: _https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-13909-9

One group of 20 participants was simply presented with the dilemma and asked to make a judgment. (They were given eight seconds to do so.) For another 20 participants, there was a physical component added: Those who chose to push the person to his death did so by applying pressure to a joystick.

The experience was still more realistic for the final group of 25; to stop the trolley, they had to apply pressure to a human figure. This "interactive sculpture mechanism" was "designed in the shape of a large person's back."

The results: Only 10 percent of those in the first group said it was morally acceptable to push one person to his death to save five others. But that figure increased to 63.3 percent in the joystick group, and 56 percent among those who encountered the human-like figure.

The researchers aren't sure what accounts for these large differences, but they note that, according to one school of thought, mental judgments are "influenced by cultural norms," whereas "action choices are driven by egocentric perspectives." This suggests those who are simply thinking about the problem may focus more on how they will be judged by others, making them more hesitant to act.

The results yielded one additional interesting finding: Participants with psychopathic tendencies tended to exert more force in pushing the guy onto the tracks, or taking similar actions. This implies that, under certain circumstances, there might be an upside to these otherwise destructive traits.

So the next time you are pondering a moral dilemma, be aware that how you respond in the moment may be quite different from how you respond in theory.

Hindsight Man said:
I see your point,but I still think that having an excellent memory and being a kind of ''detective'' in your everyday life would be beneficial,since you would be able to compare notes in your head instead of having to refer to the physical copy of a book every time and it would also allow you to not only observe your life better but also (speaking as someone who has fallen for very obvious cons before) make you less susceptible to lies,whether they come from individuals or society as a whole.After all even a rose has to grow thorns.

I heard a really interesting saying recently which I think is worth sharing in this context:

When you hear somebody say "I see your point BUT ..." or some variation of this, remember that everything before the BUT is garbage. It is a construct which allows one to appear to agree and then provide a platform to actually disagree - quite manipulative and deceptive.

Ellipse said:
Hindsight Man said:
Ellipse said:
Hindsight Man said:
Ellipse said:
Hindsight Man said:
Ellipse said:

Because, as you just show, you know the answer of your own question (the one bolded), but try to confuse the very same answer.

What?

Laura said:
Considering the role of the frontal cortex as you will learn about in the "Anatomy of Violence" book, I even wonder if that isn't one of the major benefits of The Work, and possibly the main "receiver" and/or "transmitter" that all of us need to develop in order to "surf the wave" instead of going under. With that possibility in mind, perhaps we should do all we can in this direction?

Yes, it makes perfect sense. If we consider a human brain as further evolutionary development from reptilian brain (instincts) to limbic/mammal brain (emotions) to frontal cortex (intellect/self-reflection) then I think it would be logical to assume that the next step of the evolution would be development of frontal cortex to a point when it becomes something wholly new, qualitatively speaking. A "receiver"/"transmitter" which will enable us to see through the veil.

Flashgordonv said:
Hindsight Man said:

I heard a really interesting saying recently which I think is worth sharing in this context:

When you hear somebody say "I see your point BUT ..." or some variation of this, remember that everything before the BUT is garbage. It is a construct which allows one to appear to agree and then provide a platform to actually disagree - quite manipulative and deceptive.

I thought that what Laura was saying was that it was largely unnecessary to try and boost one's brainpower,hence the reply.She later pointed out that I simply misread what she said.

Altair said:
Laura said:

Yes, it makes perfect sense. If we consider a human brain as further evolutionary development from reptilian brain (instincts) to limbic/mammal brain (emotions) to frontal cortex (intellect/self-reflection) then I think it would be logical to assume that the next step of the evolution would be development of frontal cortex to a point when it becomes something wholly new, qualitatively speaking. A "receiver"/"transmitter" which will enable us to see through the veil.

That reminds me of the 16. July 2016 Session:

[...](L) Okay, what is our particular weakness?[/b]

A: Those who live in dreams give off the STS signature and allow anchoring of 4D negative energies.

Q: (L) Well, I suppose we know that "living in dreams" is dissociating... Is that correct?

A: Yes

Q: (Joe) It's not just dissociating. "Living in dreams" would also be believing in lies, not taking stock of the facts, and preferring instead an imaginary world.

A: Yes

Q: (Galatea) Not seeing yourself clearly. And others.

(L) Not seeing yourself and others clearly...

(Galatea) I've been thinking lately that too much intellect is a bad thing. Is that true?

A: No

Q: (Galatea) Why not?

A: The brain is your greatest gift if you learn how to use it.

Q: (Galatea) Okay, then my actual concern is that sometimes it seems like people don't know how to feel...

A: The problem lies in the subconscious programs that often run the show. [...]

Regarding the chaos and unsettling atmosphere around, the most apparent observation in my case is the road traffic.

During the last week at work, I was mostly involved in extending telecommunications cables on electric poles along high-traffic roads in my region.
There were several dangerous situations that could end in miserable accidents just because drivers act eagerly and speed up or overtake recklessly with the road being partly narrowed or fenced off.
Some acted like they where not even aware that there is some roadwork going on. Some acted like the road is just for them to use.
Those things happened before but recently a deep lack of consideration on the road and being distracted while driving is becoming really commonplace.

If you guys are driving often, please, it cannot be stated enough but really do focus on present surroundings and do have your eyes everywhere. Be wary of other drivers and you know, better be late than sorry.
Just my 3 cents.

P.S Thank you for great informative session! :)

Ellipse said:
nature said:
Hi Ellipse!
Thank you for your advertising.
I'm currently looking for a good book about meditation, about training on focus and concentration. Do you have recommendations of book or articles (in french if possible, if not, I'll make the effort to read in english if the book worths it)

Hi Nature,

I want to say you: don't read about it, practice it!
I think that reading about meditation is like wanting to read about learning to ride a bike ! It's wired in us, so just use it, I'm sure you know how to do it. You sit in the lotus position and try to blank you mind or visualize an object like a rose or a word.

Eventually look at this post but I don't know if the book is still available. To be sure it's not missed, here is Laura post about meditation.

Thank you, Ellipse :)
I just read that thread, and it's clear now.
I also wondered if training focus and attention was another tool besides meditation. In fact, no. Meditation suffices, if I don't mistake.

nature said:
Thank you, Ellipse :)
I just read that thread, and it's clear now.
I also wondered if training focus and attention was another tool besides meditation. In fact, no. Meditation suffices, if I don't mistake.

Wrong.

Back
Top Bottom