Scientists observe sound traveling faster than the speed of light

Gimpy

The Living Force
http://www.physorg.com/news88249076.html

'Mach c'? Scientists observe sound traveling faster than the speed of light

Superluminal sound set-up
In this schematic of the acoustical test system, the scientists could create superluminal group velocity of sound waves, as well as negative group velocity. In the latter case, the peak of the output pulse traveling through the loop filter exited the filter before the peak of the input pulse had reached the beginning of the filter. Image credit: Bill Robertson, et al.
For the first time, scientists have experimentally demonstrated that sound pulses can travel at velocities faster than the speed of light, c. William Robertson’s team from Middle Tennessee State University also showed that the group velocity of sound waves can become infinite, and even negative.

Past experiments have demonstrated that the group velocities of other materials’ components—such as optical, microwave, and electrical pulses—can exceed the speed of light. But while the individual spectral components of these pulses have velocities very close to c, the components of sound waves are almost six orders of magnitude slower than light (compare 340 m/s to 300,000,000 m/s).

“All of the interest in fast (and slow) wave velocity for all types of waves (optical, electrical, and acoustic) was initially to gain a fundamental understanding of the characteristics of wave propagation,

In fact it was enough to quote this part:
These types of superluminal phenomena, Robertson et al. explain, violate neither causality nor special relativity, nor do they enable information to travel faster than c.
But if so, there was no need to quote it at all.

Sorry. It's difficult to tell what is relevant and what is not sometimes. :)

Gimpy

As in any sensational advertisement - always look for the "small print."

Was that last article on String Theory hooey too? Drat. Any suggestions on reading material I might pick up that will help me discern between decent info and a time waster? Its not my intention to 'make noise'. I'm just passing along articles I thought would be constructive. Apologies. (I think I'll refrain from the Science stuff, I'm more of a health and environment person, not too much training in Physics)

Gimpy

Generally, all the articles in "journals" like "New Scientist", ""Physics Today", "American Scientist" etc. should be taken as "sensational" and not reliable. A good place to look at for a more balanced view are discussion groups and blogs. For instance I would recommend Peter Woit's blog "Not even wrong":

http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/

Thanks for the reference! Love it!

I especially liked the Lord's Prayer version :)

Our Witten, which art in Princeton,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy Nobel come,
Thy will be done,
In CERN as it is in the US.
Give us this day our daily string,
And forgive us our theory,
As we forgive those who do phenomenology.
Lead us not into experiment,
And deliver us from tests.
For thine is the arXiv,
Hep-th and math-AG,
For ever and ever,
Amen

ark said:
Generally, all the articles in "journals" like "New Scientist", ""Physics Today", "American Scientist" etc. should be taken as "sensational" and not reliable. A good place to look at for a more balanced view are discussion groups and blogs. For instance I would recommend Peter Woit's blog "Not even wrong":

http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/
Thank you! I've forwarded the link to my hubby. He was pondering the articles over my shoulder a minute ago.

Gimpy

Back
Top Bottom