Sauteed Red Cabbage

Rabelais

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
I had read for a long time of the nutritional benefits of red cabbage, but had never experimented with cooking it. Yesterday, in the health food store there were some heads of fresh healthy organic reds calling out to me. I stuck one in the basket and took it home with me, not having a clue as to how to prepare it other than to cut it up and boil it. This did not appeal to me as the most desirable way to prepare it, considering the rest of the meal for which this was going to be a side dish.

I went to the web in search of options. What I found, below, was quick and easy (takes about 15 minutes cook time). It was colorful and absolutely delicious. The cabbage retains some body. It is not cooked to mush. It is somewhat like a hot slaw.

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 small onion, sliced
* 1/2 red cabbage, shredded
* 1/3 cup white or apple cider vinegar, eyeball it
* 2 rounded tablespoons sugar
* 1 teaspoon mustard seed
* Salt and pepper

I used organic apple cider vinegar, Rapidura organic evaporated cane, black mustard seed and Himalayan salt. A mandolin was used to finely slice the onion and a slightly thicker cut setting was used for shredding the cabbage.

Xylitol or agave syrup were considered for the sugar part of the recipe, but I decided on Rapidura. The sweet part of the recipe is rather essential to the overall flavor, as it balances the tartness of the vinegar, so Xylitol might be the best ingredient to use to cook red for those dealing with sugar issues.

Directions

Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and onion and saute 2 minutes. Add cabbage and turn in pan, sauteing it until it wilts, 3 to 5 minutes. Add vinegar to the pan and turn the cabbage in it. Sprinkle sugar over the cabbage and turn again. Season with mustard seed, salt and pepper and reduce heat a bit. Let cabbage continue to cook 10 minutes or until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.

Medicinal properties

In European folk medicine, cabbage leaves are used to treat acute inflammation. A paste of raw cabbage may be placed in a cabbage leaf and wrapped around the affected area to reduce discomfort. Some claim it is effective in relieving painfully engorged breasts in breastfeeding women.

Cabbage contains significant amounts glutamine, an amino acid, which has anti-inflammatory properties.

It is a source of indol-3-carbinol, or I3C, a compound used as an adjuvent therapy for recurrent respiratory papillomatosis, a disease of the head and neck caused by human papillomavirus (usually types 6 and 11) that causes growths in the airway that can lead to death.

Red Cabbage, More Is Better

Plant pigments called anthocyanins provide fruits and vegetables with beneficial blue, purple and red coloring. Now Agricultural Research Service (ARS) scientists are learning more about these compounds and their absorption into the human blood stream.

Anthocyanins are a group of healthful compounds that fall within the flavonoid class of plant nutrients. ARS scientists have identified 36 anthocyanins in red cabbage, including eight that had never before been detected in the cabbage.

The study was conducted at the ARS Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center (BHNRC) in Beltsville, Md., where scientists have pioneered methods for identifying and measuring various phytonutrients in fruits and vegetables. Physiologist Janet Novotny, nutritionist Beverly Clevidence, plant physiologist Steven Britz and research associate Craig Charron, all with the BHNRC's Food Components and Health Laboratory, published the findings in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

Emerging evidence suggests that anthocyanins may provide cancer protection, improve brain function and promote heart health. An earlier ARS study showed that some anthocyanins yield twice the antioxidant power of the same amount of vitamin C in test tubes, though the amount absorbed by the human body was not explored.

Twelve volunteers consumed three different amounts of cooked red cabbage along with a full diet of carefully controlled foods. Each volunteer completed three two-day meal regimens, which included 2/3 cup, 1-1/3 cups, or 2 cups of red cabbage. The volunteers were capable of absorbing the most anthocyanins when given the largest serving of cooked cabbage.

Interestingly, the anthocyanins that the researchers identified were not equally absorbed, as measured by the portion of the ingested compound that reached the blood stream. Nearly 80 percent of cabbage anthocyanins tested were "acylated," meaning attached to acyl groups, which made them more stable and less absorbable. The non-acylated anthocyanins present were at least four times more bioavailable, or absorbed, than the acylated anthocyanins.

The findings could aid plant breeders in developing varieties with key anthocyanin structures and amounts.

_http://www.khichadi.com/vegetablesandfruits/redcabbagenutritionfacts.shtml

The leftovers kept very well in the refrigerator over night. I'll be having some with lunch today. This will now become a staple in my detox diet.

Sounds yummy and good.

Cabbage contains significant amounts glutamine, an amino acid, which has anti-inflammatory properties.

Indeed, L-glutamine has been used as a supplement to heal leaky gut among other things.

It is a source of indol-3-carbinol, or I3C, a compound used as an adjuvent therapy for recurrent respiratory papillomatosis, a disease of the head and neck caused by human papillomavirus (usually types 6 and 11) that causes growths in the airway that can lead to death.

Indol-3-carbinol fights also estrogen dominance which is related to belly fat. More info here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=12247.msg87725#msg87725

"In addition, many nutrients effectively reduce estrogen load by supporting preferred pathways of estrogen metabolism and detoxification. These include isoflavones, indole-3-carbinol, B vitamins, magnesium, limonene [from lemons], calcium D-glucarate, and antioxidants."

Rabelais said:
I had read for a long time of the nutritional benefits of red cabbage, but had never experimented with cooking it. Yesterday, in the health food store there were some heads of fresh healthy organic reds calling out to me. I stuck one in the basket and took it home with me, not having a clue as to how to prepare it other than to cut it up and boil it. This did not appeal to me as the most desirable way to prepare it, considering the rest of the meal for which this was going to be a side dish.

I went to the web in search of options. What I found, below, was quick and easy (takes about 15 minutes cook time). It was colorful and absolutely delicious. The cabbage retains some body. It is not cooked to mush. It is somewhat like a hot slaw.

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 small onion, sliced
* 1/2 red cabbage, shredded
* 1/3 cup white or apple cider vinegar, eyeball it
* 2 rounded tablespoons sugar
* 1 teaspoon mustard seed
* Salt and pepper

I used organic apple cider vinegar, Rapidura organic evaporated cane, black mustard seed and Himalayan salt. A mandolin was used to finely slice the onion and a slightly thicker cut setting was used for shredding the cabbage.

Xylitol or agave syrup were considered for the sugar part of the recipe, but I decided on Rapidura. The sweet part of the recipe is rather essential to the overall flavor, as it balances the tartness of the vinegar, so Xylitol might be the best ingredient to use to cook red for those dealing with sugar issues.

Directions

Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and onion and saute 2 minutes. Add cabbage and turn in pan, sauteing it until it wilts, 3 to 5 minutes. Add vinegar to the pan and turn the cabbage in it. Sprinkle sugar over the cabbage and turn again. Season with mustard seed, salt and pepper and reduce heat a bit. Let cabbage continue to cook 10 minutes or until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.

Thank you, Rabelais, for this recipe. I love cabbage, red and green. I tried this recipe yesterday with green cabbage because that was what I had on hand. Delicious! I'll fix this again with red cabbage next time. I've added this recipe to my personal cookbook.

Here's a recipe that's very popular with my friends and family. I got it from epicurious.com, my favorite recipe site. I'll be working on a version without the sugar, will post it when I get it right. I've made it without the currant jelly, it's still delicious.

Danish Red Cabbage House & Garden | February 1964

by Nika Standen Hazelton
Yield: Serves 4
ingredients
1 medium red cabbage (about 3 pounds)
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sugar or more, according to taste
1/4 cup vinegar
Salt, pepper

2 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped (optional)
1/2 cup red currant jelly
preparation

Remove and discard tough outer leaves from cabbage. Shred cabbage very fine. In heavy kettle, melt butter. Add sugar, but do not brown. Add cabbage and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add vinegar, water, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer covered for 2-3 hours, or until cabbage is very tender. Stir occasionally, and if necessary, add a little hot water to prevent scorching. When cabbage is almost tender, add apples, if desired, and red currant jelly. Cabbage should be quite sweet-sour. If necessary, add more sugar or vinegar, a little at a time. Simmer covered for 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Serve with roast goose or duck. This is best if made a day ahead, and reheated slowly.

Mmm, I love sauteed red cabbage. I use my grandmother's very simple recipe with xylitol instead of sugar.

Ingredients:
1 small head of red cabbage
1 sweet onion (I use Vidalia)
1 apple
Lemon juice
Xylitol
Salt & Pepper
Bacon lard

Slice red cabbage and onion in iron skillet with bacon lard (You can use ghee or olive oil if you prefer). Peel and chop an apple and add to pan. Cover with juice of half a lemon. Sprinkle with a little xylitol. Salt and pepper to taste. Sautee until done, about 15-20 minutes.

Great topic - living in Denmark I love red cabbage. Here's a modified version that will go with the USD and is absolutely sure to make your taste buds sing :). It is taken from the Danish chef Claus Meyer.

1/2 red cabbage
1 tea spoon duck fat
2 all spice, roughly crushed
2 laurel leafs
1 stick of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 deciliter (a little less than half a cup) of apple cider vinegar
2 deciliters (a little less than a cup) of freshly squeezed apple juice
2-4 table spoons xylitol

Remove the outer leaves from the cabbage. Slice the cabbage not too thinly. Put the duck fat in a pot over medium heat and fry the cabbage slowly. When the majority of the crunchyness has left the cabbage, add all spice, laurel leafs, cinnamon, cumin, apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Add the sugar and a pinch of salt and leave the cabbage to simmer for about two hours. Adjust to the desired taste by adding vinegar, sugar and salt.

I highly recommend it with confit de canard, or other duck dishes, roast pork, meat balls or other fatty foods.

Enjoy...

Back
Top Bottom