Richard Dawkins and pedophilia/sexual abuse

Approaching Infinity

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Founds this on Michael Prescott's blog regarding Dawkins's recent comments on pedophilia:

The Intertubes are abuzz with comments regarding the latest utterance from famed atheist Richard Dawkins. In this Salon article he is quoted as saying that "mild pedophilia" should not be cause for concern.

In a recent interview with the Times magazine, Richard Dawkins attempted to defend what he called “mild pedophilia,” which, he says, he personally experienced as a young child and does not believe causes “lasting harm.”

Dawkins went on to say that one of his former school masters “pulled me on his knee and put his hand inside my shorts,” and that to condemn this “mild touching up” as sexual abuse today would somehow be unfair.

“I am very conscious that you can’t condemn people of an earlier era by the standards of ours. Just as we don’t look back at the 18th and 19th centuries and condemn people for racism in the same way as we would condemn a modern person for racism, I look back a few decades to my childhood and see things like caning, like mild pedophilia, and can’t find it in me to condemn it by the same standards as I or anyone would today,” he said.

Plus, he added, though his other classmates also experienced abuse at the hands of this teacher, “I don’t think he did any of us lasting harm.”

This is not the first time Dawkins has, at least by implication, downplayed the importance of pedophilia and child abuse generally. Notoriously he once said that raising a child as a Christian could be more damaging than subjecting the child to sexual abuse: "Horrible as sexual abuse no doubt was, the damage was arguably less than the long-term psychological damage inflicted by bringing the child up Catholic in the first place."

His latest statement seems to be in line with his previous comments on the subject. He obviously thinks that raising a child in a religious belief system is an act of intolerable cruelty, but he exhibits no comparable outrage about physical molestation.

This rather peculiar stance could be taken as merely a personal quirk on Dawkins' part. My impression of Dawkins is that, like many highly educated and intelligent people, he is remarkably unskilled at introspection and self-criticism, and also has an exceedingly shallow understanding of viewpoints with which he disagrees. He is, in other words, altogether too sure of himself when he deigns to weigh in on subjects outside the narrow scope of his expertise.

What makes his most recent comment a little more interesting is that it follows in the wake of numerous allegations of sexual misconduct on the part of leading advocates of the "skeptical"-humanist-atheist-materialist position.

A rundown of these allegations, or most of them, can be found here.

Now, it can always be said that these allegations are unproven – which they are – and that even if there is something to them, it has nothing to do with the underlying intellectual positions taken by these individuals. In fact, I've said something similar myself. But I'm starting to wonder if maybe there is some connection between sexual misconduct (or the downplaying or tacit endorsement of such) and the materialist ethos.

Is it possible that the view of human beings as "meat puppets," "biological robots," and carrying systems for "selfish genes" – humans as mechanistic entities without free will, whose sense of self is an illusion and whose consciousness is only an epiphenomenon, a meaningless side effect – encourages a dehumanizing approach toward physical and emotional intimacy?

Alternatively ... are people who are predisposed, by temperament or upbringing, to treat their fellow humans as objects more likely, on average, to embrace a worldview that explicitly and unapologetically reduces people to objects?

Or ... could the high degree of left-brain dominance associated with militant skepticism, atheism, and materialism give rise to a dismissive or domineering attitude toward women (and perhaps children)? The "men's club" atmosphere of skeptical organizations and get-togethers is pretty well known.

Or ... could the belief that there is no afterlife, no "life review," and no possibility of being called to account for one's misconduct serve as a rationalization for indulging in misconduct? Was Dostoyevsky right when he had one of his characters say that without God, everything is permitted?

I know these questions can easily be seen as unfair. Perhaps they are. Sexual misbehavior is hardly limited to the skeptical-atheist camp. There are "spiritual" figures (like Sai Baba, or like any number of adulterous ministers and pedophile priests) who can be tarred with the same brush.

Still, when we consider the number of leading figures on the skeptic-materialist side – not bystanders or backbenchers, but people at the forefront of the movement – who have been publicly accused of sexual misconduct or who seem to endorse (or at least not condemn) such misconduct, it becomes increasingly hard to dismiss the possibility that their basic intellectual premises may contribute to these problems.

I could be wrong. I really don't know.

From the comments:

"Rumor has it this guy ..."

LOL, No One. But on a slightly more serious note, one of the things that prompted me to write this post was that in the course of doing some Internet research, I read about a certain person (not famous) who had boasted in a chat room that he enjoyed having sex with children and that, for a fee, he could procure children for other people's use. The authorities, once alerted, found "thousands" of photos of children on his computer, but weren't able to prove any criminal acts. The kicker? This same guy has written erudite-sounding online articles arguing that belief in God is irrational.

I had no idea, when I started looking into this case, that this guy had any viewpoint on religion - yet it turns out he's a militant atheist. Coincidence, possibly. But you may remember Auric Goldfinger's dictum:

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times, it's enemy action."

Posted by: Michael Prescott | September 14, 2013 at 10:10 AM

It occurred to me that there is another atheistic movement that was shocked by a prominent sex scandal – namely Ayn Rand's Objectivism. In the late 1960s Rand's followers were stunned to learn that she and her protégé Nathaniel Branden had been carrying on an affair for more than a decade. Both Rand and Branden were married to other people. Their spouses had known about the affair all along, but it had been kept secret from everyone else.

When the affair began, Rand justified it to the reluctant spouses by saying that while such behavior would be inadvisable for the average person, it would work out in this case, because she and Nathaniel were "giants" who were not bound by social conventions. Their superiority placed them above all normal considerations of propriety. She turned out to be quite wrong – the affair fizzled out amid recrimination and guilt and shame, just as it would for any ordinary adulterers.

But maybe there's a clue here to the psychology behind these various instances of sexual misbehavior – a common denominator. Whether it's a celebrity atheist who feels he is intellectually superior to the common herd of gullible fools, or a celebrity New Age figure who sees himself as specially enlightened and spiritually superior to the mass of humanity, a grandiose sense of personal superiority may be what gives some people the rationale to manipulate and dominate and abuse others.

This does not necessarily apply to pedophile priests, who may be in a special category for the reasons Matt indicated (i.e., the fact that the church's prohibition of marriage for the clergy has made the priesthood a kind of sanctuary for a closeted gays). But it may apply in other cases.

When people start thinking of themselves as "giants" who are immune to the foibles of ordinary humanity and who stand above run-of-the-mill moral considerations, bad things tend to happen.

If this is true, then it may not be atheism as such - even militant atheism - that gives rise to these scandals, but the hubris that, in some cases, seems to accompany it.

Posted by: Michael Prescott | September 15, 2013 at 07:03 AM

_http://michaelprescott.typepad.com/michael_prescotts_blog/2013/09/some-questions-and-no-clear-answers.html#comments

While he doesn't say it, I think the best explanation is that materialism is a psychopathic ideology.

Prescott links here:

_http://www.dailygrail.com/Skepticism/2013/8/Is-the-Week-Organized-Skepticism-Imploded (follow the link for embedded hyperlinks)

For many years on this site I've critiqued the demagogic tendencies of a number of the 'leaders' of the modern skeptical movement (see the bottom of this post for some links). I've often faced resistance (and sometimes hostility) from card-carrying skeptics for pointing out the foibles of these so-called champions of science, and the dangers of having such people as figureheads of a movement dedicated to truth and reason - but I had no inkling that in the space of just a few short years the reputations of a number of them would begin coming undone at their own hands.

The first tremors began, perhaps, two years ago with the 'Elevatorgate' scandal within skepticism, in which Richard Dawkins outed his 'drunk uncle' persona to those within skepticism by entering a controversial argument he didn't need to engage in, and making comments that were always going to set off a firestorm.

Just a few months later, the previously Teflon-coated James 'The Amazing' Randi was caught at the center of his own scandal when his partner of more than two decades, Jose Alvarez, was caught and pleaded guilty to identity theft, after overstaying his visa in the 1980s. Though many felt sympathy for both Randi and his partner's dilemma, there were also questions over how much Randi knew or was involved in the crime - a not-particularly-good look for the much celebrated champion of truth and honesty.

Randi's credibility devolved further earlier this year when Will Storr's book The Heretics brought Randi's Social Darwinist-like philosophies into the spotlight, as well as Randi's own confession that he sometimes lies to win his arguments.

A few months later, prominent skeptical voice Brian Dunning (of the popular Skeptoid podcast) pleaded guilty to one charge of wire fraud for his part in a scheme to 'hack' eBay's affiliate marketing porgram which netted millions of dollars for the group.

This week, Richard Dawkins once again put his foot it with a provocative tweet about the lack of Nobel Prizes in the Islamic world (if you want to understand why it was a stupid tweet, swap 'Islam' for 'women' in the tweet and his later 'reflections' on the matter). This time, it seems that Dawkins may have put the final straw on the camel's back: Owen Jones wrote that Dawkins could no longer "be left to represent atheists"; Martin Robbins wrote that atheism "will leave Dawkins behind"; Tom Chivers asked him "to please be quiet"; and Nesrine Malik said Dawkins himself was as irrational "as an Islamic extremist".

There's a fair feeling of chickens coming home to roost in these incidents, but this week flocks of previously hidden fowl seem to have emerged from every dark shadow in the world of skepticism. Some two years on from the 'Elevatorgate' incident, skeptical speaker and writer Karen Stolznow used her blog at Scientific American to note that she herself was a victim of sexual harassment by "a predator" within the skeptical movement. This individual, a well-known media commentator and editor of one of skepticism's flagship publications was subsequently named by P.Z. Myers on his blog (after what Myers said was a flood of corroborating emails). A former JREF employee then spoke out about continuous unethical behaviour at Randi's foundation. Then another blogger named yet another high-end skeptic/atheist and well-credentialed scientist of acting improperly, before withdrawing his name (though again that hasn't stopped P.Z. Myers). And if all that wasn't enough, at the end of the week P.Z. Myers followed up with testimony from someone he knows regarding what the victim describes as her 'rape' by one of the most prominent of all skeptics during a skeptical conference (a blog post that has generated some 2000 3000 comments now).

Whether each of the accusations is valid or not, and whether the naming of certain individuals is proper, is not part of my argument here. But what has become clear is that the former figureheads of the skeptical movement finally now have a (long-awaited) skepticism being applied to their own actions and pronouncements, and a number of them are being revealed for the pretenders they are. I'd like to think that this is the end of skeptical demagoguery, and the beginning of a new, more intelligent, self-critiquing skeptical movement - though perhaps it's more just a fragmentation, as Myers and Randi and others now just seem to have their own righteous armies fighting somewhat of an internal civil war in skepticism. I'm still hoping for the former though, as intelligent skepticism is a much-needed element of modern discourse, but something that has been very rare indeed to this point.

Re: Materialists and pedophilia/sexual abuse

It seems to me that with all his references to paedophilia over the years, he is still trying to come to terms with the horrific violation he experienced at the hands of someone he was taught to trust.

It wouldn't surprise me, going by his efforts to justify sexual attack on a minor, that he perpetrates such crimes. The pattern supports it.

It seems Prescott already understood that sexual 'misbehavior' is in no way limited to atheists, skeptics or materialists but it was a good way to introduce the topic and theme a post about it, I think.

Approaching Infinity said:
[quote author=Michael Prescott's blog]
He is, in other words, altogether too sure of himself when he deigns to weigh in on subjects outside the narrow scope of his expertise.
[/quote]

I think so too and this is based on the fact that in the past, and within his area of expertise, Dawkins has been called a 'brilliant' communicator. Brilliant, because if it weren't for Dawkins, the magnitude of the work of G.C. Williams and W.D. Hamilton in evolutionary theory in the early to mid sixties and how it revolutionized our understanding of animal cooperation wouldn't have been fully appreciated and the achievement understood.

So, it's like when some people turn to some area outside their specialty, their mind short-circuits and they can't seem to make an intelligent statement on the subject.

Mild pedophilia/sexual abuse??!!! What the heck is UP with that. It's like saying "oh that's just a gentle case of rape, nothing to get too excited about." Hard to believe someone would try to justify it that way.

It seems to me that Michael Prescott has a point that the skeptic-materialist have a different psychological make-up allowing them to deny the spiritual/emotional part of most humanity because themselves have something missing.

I am not surprised that Dawkins would say something like that, he is probably missing the capacity to see himself as soul with a body, lacking any emotional depths.

It's also very insulting to anyone who suffered abuses in their lives, he's kinda saying that it's ok and you should get over it pretty quick, next step he might say that it builds character & helps the child :mad:

Buddy said:
So, it's like when some people turn to some area outside their specialty, their mind short-circuits and they can't seem to make an intelligent statement on the subject.

Eh...child abuse is not a "specialty", it requires no extensive research to understand, it is the ABUSE of a child by an adult. Anyone who sanctions it has no empathy. I am not surprised that Dawkins thinks it is "ok", everything he has ever said or wrote points to him being an 'empty" human being.

Buddy said:

Perceval said:
Eh...child abuse is not a "specialty", it requires no extensive research to understand, it is the ABUSE of a child by an adult. Anyone who sanctions it has no empathy. I am not surprised that Dawkins thinks it is "ok", everything he has ever said or wrote points to him being an 'empty" human being.

Exactly. Anyway, if child abuse was indeed 'a specialty' that Dawkins is no proficient in, shouldn't he refrain from making any comments on the subject? Especially given his stature? From where I stand, it seems like he knows exactly what he is doing. The result is that people who admire Dawkins will rationalize his comments away or question their own feelings of horror towards child abusers and of compassion toward the victim.

Several months ago, I was reading the testimony of a man who was had been a prostitute all his life and had some sort of network of prostitutes for the elite. He had started prostituting himself when he was 12 by proposing his 'services' to priests in his area so he could earn money and because it was 'fun'. :shock: He was also describing the deviance of the elite in the most natural, amused and unemotional manner. He then went on to describe how he, as a child, had been abused by a 'loving and caring' neighbour and how this experience had brought him joy and love :O
Talk about Stockholm syndrome. It's really difficult not to make the connection between the abuse and the life that man led afterward.

I think being abused early on is so traumatic that the mind has to transform the event into something more manageable and can even make it a pleasant or at least, innocuous experience. Who knows if this is not the case with Dawkins himself? Who knows if this abuse has not actually conditioned his materialistic/humanistic view of life?

On a side note, the normalization of pedophilia is becoming more widespread (in some countries, pedophiles have their own political party, mascot, sex toys, lobby groups and even their own international day) and it is very worrying.

What Dawkins does here is at best irresponsible, at worst, hides an agenda.

Dawkins has built his fame on what can be described, IMO, as an "anti-life" thesis - human beings as machines. Strangely enough, this is true according to Gurdjieff, yet the goal is to grow out of mechanicalness and towards consciousness and conscience. Dawkins thwarts such efforts by lobbying for the mechanical nature of humanity as the high point in its evolution.

A somewhat lame IMO Dawkins's explanation with a ping-pong argument:

_http://www.richarddawkins.net/foundation_articles/2013/9/11/child-abuse-a-misunderstanding#

Child Abuse: a misunderstanding. w/ Polish translation

by Richard Dawkins posted on September 12, 2013 02:40PM GMT

A is bad. B is worse.” How dare you defend A?
Anon: epitome of several Twitter attacks.

In my memoir, An Appetite for Wonder, I wrote the following, about an incident at boarding school.

I would watch games of squash from the gallery, waiting for the game to end so I could slip down and practise by myself. One day – I must have been about eleven – there was a master in the gallery with me. He pulled me onto his knee and put his hand inside my shorts. He did no more than have a little feel, but it was extremely disagreeable (the cremasteric reflex is not painful, but in a skin-crawling, creepy way it is almost worse than painful) as well as embarrassing. As soon as I could wriggle off his lap, I ran to tell my friends, many of whom had had the same experience with him. I don’t think he did any of us any lasting damage, but some years later he killed himself.

This paragraph, together with a subsequent statement to the Times that I would not judge that teacher by the standards of today, has been heavily criticised. These criticisms represent a misunderstanding, which I would like to clear up.

The standards of today are conditioned by our increasing familiarity with the traumatising effect that pedophile abuse can have on children, sometimes scarring them psychologically for life. Today we read, almost daily, of adults whose childhood was blighted by an uncle perhaps, or even a parent, who would day after day, week after week, year after year, sexually abuse a vulnerable child. The child would often have no escape, would not be believed if he/she told the other parent, or told a teacher. In many cases it is only now, when the abused children have reached adulthood, that these stories are coming out. To make light of their stories, even after all these years, might in some cases re-awaken the trauma of not being believed at the time when it was all happening, and when being believed would have meant so much to the child.

Only slightly less culpable than the abusers themselves are the institutions that protected them, of which the most prominent examples are to be found in the senior hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church. This is why I personally donated £10,000 of my own money towards a fund, instigated by Christopher Hitchens and me, to build the legal case for prosecuting Pope Benedict XVI for his part (when Cardinal Ratzinger) in covering up sexual abuse of children by priests. Our initiative, for which I paid 50%, the rest being raised by Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris, resulted in the book The Case of the Pope: Vatican accountability for human rights abuse, in which the distinguished barrister Geoffrey Robertson QC laid out the case for the prosecution should any jurisdiction in the world choose to take it up in the future.

Now, given the terrible, persistent and recurrent traumas suffered by other people when abused as children, week after week, year after year, what should I have said about my own thirty seconds of nastiness back in the 1950s? Should I have lied and said it was the worst thing that ever happened to me? Should I have mendaciously sought the sympathy due to a victim who had truly been damaged for the rest of his life? Should I have named the offending teacher and called down posthumous disgrace upon his head?

No, no and no. To have done so would have been to belittle and insult those many people whose lives really were blighted and cursed, perhaps by year-upon-year of abuse by a father or other person who was deeply important in their life. To have done so would have invited the justifiably indignant response: “How dare you make a fuss about the mere half minute of gagging unpleasantness that happened to you only once, and where the perpetrator was not your own father but a teacher who meant nothing special to you in your life. Stop playing the victim. Stop trying to upstage those who really were tragic victims in their own situations. Don’t cry wolf about your own bad experience, because it undermines those whose experience was – and remains – so much worse.”

That is why I made light of my own bad experience. To excuse pedophiliac assaults in general, or to make light of the horrific experiences of others, was a thousand miles from my intention.

I should have hoped that much was obvious. But I was perhaps presumptuous in the last sentence of the paragraph quoted above. I cannot know for certain that my companions’ experiences with the same teacher were are brief as mine, and theirs may have been recurrent where mine was not. That’s why I said only “I don’t think he did any of us lasting damage”. We discussed it among ourselves on many occasions, especially after his suicide, and there was indeed general agreement that his gassing himself was far more upsetting than his sexual depredations had been. If I am wrong about any particular individual; if any of my companions really was traumatised by the abuse long after it happened; if, perhaps it happened many times and amounted to more than the single disagreeable but brief fondling that I endured, I apologise.

And how about all those infamous pedophile rings with intel agencies and gov involved?

And... surprise, surprise! How one can use anything to justify their witch hunt, even if it's sexual abuse and they are against any- and everything that's hard to explain within materialistic paradigm. A paragraph from D's book "Unweaving the Rainbow", p.93:

The London Daily Telegraph of 18 November 1997 reported that a self-styled exorcist who had persuaded a gullible teenage girl to have sex with him on the pretext of driving evil spirits from her body had been jailed for 18 months the day before. The man had shown the young woman some books on palmistry and magic, then told her that she was 'jinxed: someone had put bad luck on her'. In order to exorcise her, he explained, he needed to anoint her all over with special oils. She agreed to take all her clothes off for this purpose. Finally, she copulated with the man when he told her that this was necessary 'to get rid of the spirits'. Now, it seems to me that society cannot have it both ways. If it was right to jail this man for exploiting a gullible young woman (she was above the legal age of consent), why do we not similarly prosecute astrologers who take money off equally gullible people; or 'psychic' diviners who con oil companies into parting with shareholders' money for expensive 'consultations' on where to drill? Conversely, if it be protested that fools should be free to hand over their money to charlatans if they choose, why shouldn't the sexual 'exorcist' claim a similar defence, invoking the young woman's freedom to give her body for the sake of a ritual ceremony in which, at the time, she genuinely believed?

Mrs. Tigersoap said:
Buddy said:

Perceval said:

Exactly. Anyway, if child abuse was indeed 'a specialty' that Dawkins is no proficient in, shouldn't he refrain from making any comments on the subject? Especially given his stature? From where I stand, it seems like he knows exactly what he is doing. The result is that people who admire Dawkins will rationalize his comments away or question their own feelings of horror towards child abusers and of compassion toward the victim.

Several months ago, I was reading the testimony of a man who was had been a prostitute all his life and had some sort of network of prostitutes for the elite. He had started prostituting himself when he was 12 by proposing his 'services' to priests in his area so he could earn money and because it was 'fun'. :shock: He was also describing the deviance of the elite in the most natural, amused and unemotional manner. He then went on to describe how he, as a child, had been abused by a 'loving and caring' neighbour and how this experience had brought him joy and love :O
Talk about Stockholm syndrome. It's really difficult not to make the connection between the abuse and the life that man led afterward.

We need to be careful here to not let our "natural world view" dominate over an understanding of pathology. What you say could be true for the man in question. However, also consider the data that many people who have suffered abuse in childhood do grow up having emotional issues but do not take the path taken by this man. So, in a general sense, it cannot be said that suffering abuse in childhood is necessary (it must happen before such pathology is displayed) or sufficient (such abuse by itself can lead to such pathology) cause for leading a life that the man led. It could contribute to such an outcome though. To make a determination, one would need more comprehensive psychological and biographical data about the man's life before he started on that path. That would reveal if other external pathological factors (home environment etc.) were at play or there were internal pathological factors that expressed themselves in that particular way because of life events.

The point is not to blame the victim - in any such abuse, the entire responsibility lies with the adult perpetrating the abuse. However, using such incidents as a rationalization for future transgressions in deed or as an excuse for such deeds (as Dawkins seems to be doing) plays right into the hand of pathological deviants. Take an example: a pathological person is caught in the act of abuse. In order to pull wool over the eyes of the "normals", what better way than to appeal to their natural empathy by insinuating that the act was a consequence of earlier abuse? It is not uncommon for pathological liars to make up such stories either. A normal person would try to put him/herself in the shoes of an abused child, project their own richer emotional landscape into the situation and come out accepting the causal chain that is being proposed - ie the previous abuse caused the subsequent act, which would be an error.

My 2 cents

Obyvatel said:
The point is not to blame the victim - in any such abuse, the entire responsibility lies with the adult perpetrating the abuse.

I agree.

Obyvatel said:
Take an example: a pathological person is caught in the act of abuse. In order to pull wool over the eyes of the "normals", what better way than to appeal to their natural empathy by insinuating that the act was a consequence of earlier abuse?

That's a excuse many pathologicals use indeed.
To me (and I might be wrong), this is different from the example I gave, though: this man is a victim and he led a sorry life as a prostitute. From what I've read, he never abused anyone. When he recounts his abuse, he does it like it is a fond memory (as his first love story, in a way). I don't think he is using this event to find an excuse for his behaviour.

Obyvatel said:
So, in a general sense, it cannot be said that suffering abuse in childhood is necessary (it must happen before such pathology is displayed) or sufficient (such abuse by itself can lead to such pathology) cause for leading a life that the man led.

True. It could be something totally different. I've read about and heard first hand accounts of sexual abuse victims and in many cases, their sex lives had been impacted. They had very low self-esteem which led them to accept degrading behaviour from their partner or to actively have such behaviour themselves. But this is not automatic and in my mind, they still remain victims and they don't go abusing others.

You know, at some point, I even wondered if the male prostitute was not a psychopath to begin (he seemed to have no feelings whatsoever about his situation, his life, etc.) with but then I was horrified that I might have put the blame on the victim! We've been discussing this case with Tigersoap several times and the bottom line is indeed that there is no way to know the psychological profile of that man.

Possibility of Being said:
Conversely, if it be protested that fools should be free to hand over their money to charlatans if they choose, why shouldn't the sexual 'exorcist' claim a similar defence, invoking the young woman's freedom to give her body for the sake of a ritual ceremony in which, at the time, she genuinely believed?

I think it's quite similar to various psychopathic statements, when they blame the victim for allowing the psychopath to scam or use them. And yeah, it just shows that materialism is indeed a psychopathic ideology. If you believe or perceive that there is nothing beside material world, no higher values or goals, no spiritual reality or at least a fear of god/karma/moral judgment/losing one's soul or anything similar (especially if you think that what you have is only the time before you die and before your corpse becomes worm food), then why waste time on anything that has to do with moral values/conscience/social awareness/uncomfortable choices for the sake of others? Better use the time on the self, be it either something small or big, like pumping up one's ego by inventing grandiose theories. Or by sharing with the world one's perverted or twisted state of mind, and then blaming religion or other system of beliefs if the world doesn't quite accept one's shallow perception of reality. Post modernism and so called modern "art" was evidently invented and promoted by the same kind of people.

Mrs. Tigersoap said:
Obyvatel said:
Take an example: a pathological person is caught in the act of abuse. In order to pull wool over the eyes of the "normals", what better way than to appeal to their natural empathy by insinuating that the act was a consequence of earlier abuse?

That's a excuse many pathologicals use indeed.
To me (and I might be wrong), this is different from the example I gave, though: this man is a victim and he led a sorry life as a prostitute. From what I've read, he never abused anyone. When he recounts his abuse, he does it like it is a fond memory (as his first love story, in a way). I don't think he is using this event to find an excuse for his behaviour.

From what you have written, the man is most likely not a predatory pathological. The example I gave was not directed at that man but more general. Sorry for not making that clear.

[quote author=Mrs Tigersoap]

You know, at some point, I even wondered if the male prostitute was not a psychopath to begin (he seemed to have no feelings whatsoever about his situation, his life, etc.) with but then I was horrified that I might have put the blame on the victim! We've been discussing this case with Tigersoap several times and the bottom line is indeed that there is no way to know the psychological profile of that man.
[/quote]

I would think your instincts and reaction told you something important when you recognized that the man did not have the normal attitude towards his situation. Victims of abuse often feel so traumatized, violated and dirty inside that they may fall unconsciously into self-hate. One possibility is to exhibit a masochistic tendency. Then we can ask is the man's perverted attitude arising out of a defense mechanism to cover this trauma or is it something else? What does the fact that he has written a book about his perverted views tell us? What effect will this book have on the readers, specially those who do not have at least a solid instinctive grounding about what is or is not normal? What is the man's attitude towards other victims of abuse? Does he wish others to have a similar life as his?

It may not be possible to know these answers for certain, but the questions may be of use in getting closer to what the situation really is, if one is interested.

Possibility of Being said:
A somewhat lame IMO Dawkins's explanation with a ping-pong argument:

_http://www.richarddawkins.net/foundation_articles/2013/9/11/child-abuse-a-misunderstanding#

It's not just a lame explanation, he misrepresents and OMITS most of what he ACTUALLY said. What he actually said was:

“I am very conscious that you can’t condemn people of an earlier era by the standards of ours. Just as we don’t look back at the 18th and 19th centuries and condemn people for racism in the same way as we would condemn a modern person for racism, I look back a few decades to my childhood and see things like caning, like mild pedophilia, and can’t find it in me to condemn it by the same standards as I or anyone would today,” he said.

Plus, he added, though his other classmates also experienced abuse at the hands of this teacher, “I don’t think he did any of us lasting harm.”

I'm not sure who he thinks he is speaking for when he says "we don't look back at the 18th and 19th centuries and condemn people for racism in the same way as we would condemn a modern person for racism", but he's certainly not speaking for me. That's the problem with people like him, they live their whole lives projecting their own deviant inner landscape and "paramorality" onto everyone else. In the case that such types gain the ear of the public and are promoted, they can have definite ponerizing influence on others.

obyvatel said:
Mrs. Tigersoap said:
Buddy said:

Perceval said:

We need to be careful here to not let our "natural world view" dominate over an understanding of pathology. What you say could be true for the man in question. However, also consider the data that many people who have suffered abuse in childhood do grow up having emotional issues but do not take the path taken by this man. So, in a general sense, it cannot be said that suffering abuse in childhood is necessary (it must happen before such pathology is displayed) or sufficient (such abuse by itself can lead to such pathology) cause for leading a life that the man led. It could contribute to such an outcome though. To make a determination, one would need more comprehensive psychological and biographical data about the man's life before he started on that path. That would reveal if other external pathological factors (home environment etc.) were at play or there were internal pathological factors that expressed themselves in that particular way because of life events.

The point is not to blame the victim - in any such abuse, the entire responsibility lies with the adult perpetrating the abuse. However, using such incidents as a rationalization for future transgressions in deed or as an excuse for such deeds (as Dawkins seems to be doing) plays right into the hand of pathological deviants. Take an example: a pathological person is caught in the act of abuse. In order to pull wool over the eyes of the "normals", what better way than to appeal to their natural empathy by insinuating that the act was a consequence of earlier abuse? It is not uncommon for pathological liars to make up such stories either. A normal person would try to put him/herself in the shoes of an abused child, project their own richer emotional landscape into the situation and come out accepting the causal chain that is being proposed - ie the previous abuse caused the subsequent act, which would be an error.

My 2 cents

2 cents, Obyvatel? More like a million dollars. I have spent this evening with my wife talking about how easy it is to judge in the context of (your term) 'the natural world view' - and there's me in my above post talking about '... it supports the pattern.' Observations, or insights, like yours, that bring big-picture perspective, are what I love about this community. How can we fail to grow here? Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom