Relationship: Brain Chemistry and Cognitive Bias

Buddy

The Living Force
I found some information that appears to be interesting which I used to compose this post.I'm not sure exactly where this should go, so relocation of this post is appreciated if it's necessary. Thanks.

On a physics/science blog, one of the authors (Bee) wrote a post that, while eventually talking about potential bias in science, starts off with what appears to be an interesting study that apparently has never been published. Forget the biased title of the blog - this post is about the relationship between unbalanced brain chemistry in the individual and the resulting cognitive bias that is suggested.

Her full post is here: _http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2010/01/is-physics-cognitively-biased.html

The relevant excerpt:
...To briefly summarize it: they recruited two groups of people, 20 each. One were self-declared believers in the paranormal, the other one self-declared skeptics. This self-description was later quantified with commonly used questionnaires like the Australian Sheep-Goat Scale (with a point scale rather than binary though).

These people performed two tasks. In one task they were briefly shown (short) words that sometimes were sensible words, sometimes just random letters. In the other task they were briefly shown faces or just random combination of facial features. (These both tasks apparently use different parts of the brain, but that may not be so relevant to the point of this post.

Also, they were shown both to the right and left visual field separately for the same reason, but again, I don't know if that's so important right now).

The participants had to identify a "signal" (word/face) from the "noise" (random combination) in a short amount of time, too short to use the part of the brain necessary for rational thought. The researchers counted the hits and misses. They focused on two parameters from this measurement series. The one is the trend of the bias: whether it's randomly wrong, has a bias for false positives or a bias for false negatives (Type I error or Type II error). The second parameter is how well the signal was identified in total. The experiment was repeated after a randomly selected half of the participants received a high dose of levodopa (a Parkinson medication that increases the dopamine level in the brain), the other half a placebo.

The result was the following. First, without the medication the skeptics had a bias for Type II errors (they more often discarded as noise what really was a signal), whereas the believers had a bias for Type I errors (they more often saw a signal where it was really just noise).

The bias was equally strong for both, but in opposite directions. It is interesting though not too surprising that the expressed worldview correlates with unconscious cognitive characteristics. Overall, the skeptics were better at identifying the signal. Then, with the medication, the bias of both skeptics and believers tended towards the mean (random yes/no misses), but the skeptics overall became as bad at identifying signals as the believers who stayed equally bad as without extra dopamine.[emphasis added]

Again, the actual research isn't published (yet) or reviewed, so take it with a grain of salt, but the implication seems significant: increased dopamine decreases one's ability to separate valid signal from noise and makes one more likely to falsely identify noise as signal.

Bee heads off and focuses on the skeptic/believer angle, relates it to "false patterns" rather than "false signals", and how the relationship may or may not be justified, but I think the basic finding itself is important and doesn't really support such a direction.

False patterns don't seem to be directly dependent on false signals: one can take perfectly valid signal data and develop all sorts of false patterns around it. Granted, the inability to correctly identify signal versus noise would lead to more false patterns being observed (as any pattern based on false signals would obviously be false), but that isn't what was tested for: the study (as related) explicitly aimed for reactions without rational interpretation.

No interpretation, no patterns. So, what was being tested wasn't the quality of the interpretation of signals but whether something was a signal at all, right?

A couple of comments following the blog article got my attention and seemed significant, so for the benefit of the reader I'll include them here:

----------------------------------------------

At 6:39 PM, January 06, 2010, Anonymous Austin said...

Just wanted to point out that the study said nothing about pattern recognition. In fact, from what you stated about the duration of time ("too short to use the part of the brain necessary for rational thought") to make the decision, no pattern recognition was involved or affected by the test: patterns take thought to see.

So, while I agree that pattern recognition is an evolutionary boon, is involved in creativity, and is present in both scientists and "believers", that says nothing about the quality of the patterns being observed. Bad signal-vs.-noise separation would, obviously, lead to bad patterns (GIGO, anyone?), but even good signal-vs.-noise separation could lead to bad patterns.

The study results seem to say that what was affected wasn't the interpreted quality of the signal (which wasn't tested), just whether it *was* a signal or was just noise. The correlation between "believers" and false signal detection might be more related to the GIGO issue rather than an assumed increase in pattern detection ability.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
At 8:16 PM, January 06, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I saw nothing that I could identify in the CMB.

The study you cite is cute, but as with most psychological studies, it doesn't pay to try to milk the data for more than is actually there. Thinking you detect a signal and being willing to act on a signal are not the same thing, although in this simplistic, no-risk situation, they are made to appear to be. And science isn't just about how many times you say 'ooh!' in response to what you think is a signal. Science is very much about having that 'signal' validated by others using independent means.

I'm really not sure who or what you are trying to jab with this post, other than the poke at ESP.

And I'm seconding Austin with respect to pattern recognition. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 2:43 AM, January 07, 2010, Blogger Bee said...

Austin, Anonymous: With "pattern recognition" I was simply referring to finding the face/word in random noise. You seem to refer to pattern recognition as pattern in a time series instead, sorry, I should have been clearer on that. However, you might find the introduction of this paper [_http://www.usz.ch/non_cms/neurologie/LehreForsch/Neuropsychologie/Publikationen/2008/08_09_BruggerCortex.pdf] interesting which more generally is about the issue of mistakenly assigning meaning to the meaningless rspt causal connections where there are none. It's very readable. This paper (it seems to be an introduction to a special issue) also mentions the following

"The meaningfulness of a coincidence is in the brain of the beholder, and while ‘‘meaningless coincidences’’ do not invite explanatory elaborations, those considered meaningful have often lured intelligent people into a search for underlying rules and laws (Kammerer, 1919, for a case study)."

Seems like there hasn't been much research on that though. Best,

B.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the abstract of the study that has yet to be published:

_http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/jocn.2009.21313

Early Access
Posted Online July 30, 2009.
(doi:10.1162/jocn.2009.21313)
© 2009 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Dopamine, Paranormal Belief, and the Detection of Meaningful Stimuli

Peter Krummenacher1,2, Christine Mohr3, Helene Haker4, and Peter Brugger1

1University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland

2Collegium Helveticum, Zurich, Switzerland

3University of Bristol, Bristol, UK

4Psychiatric University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland

Abstract

Dopamine (DA) is suggested to improve perceptual and cognitive decisions by increasing the signal-to-noise ratio. Somewhat paradoxically, a hyperdopaminergia (arguably more accentuated in the right hemisphere) has also been implied in the genesis of unusual experiences such as hallucinations and paranormal thought.

To test these opposing assumptions, we used two lateralized decision tasks, one with lexical (tapping left-hemisphere functions), the other with facial stimuli (tapping right-hemisphere functions). Participants were 40 healthy right-handed men, of whom 20 reported unusual, “paranormal” experiences and beliefs (“believers”), whereas the remaining participants were unexperienced and critical (“skeptics”). In a between-subject design, levodopa (200 mg) or placebo administration was balanced between belief groups (double-blind procedure).

For each task and visual field, we calculated sensitivity (d') and response tendency (criterion) derived from signal detection theory. Results showed the typical right visual field advantage for the lexical decision task and a higher d' for verbal than facial stimuli. For the skeptics, d' was lower in the levodopa than in the placebo group. Criterion analyses revealed that believers favored false alarms over misses, whereas skeptics displayed the opposite preference. Unexpectedly, under levodopa, these decision preferences were lower in both groups.

We thus infer that levodopa (1) decreases sensitivity in perceptual–cognitive decisions, but only in skeptics, and (2) makes skeptics less and believers slightly more conservative. These results stand at odd to the common view that DA generally improves signal-to-noise ratios. Paranormal ideation seems an important personality dimension and should be assessed in investigations on the detection of signals in noise.
------------------------------------------------------------

Comments, critiques, anything is welcome.

very interesting, Buddy, thank you for sharing!

The second parameter is how well the signal was identified in total. The experiment was repeated after a randomly selected half of the participants received a high dose of levodopa (a Parkinson medication that increases the dopamine level in the brain), the other half a placebo.
[..]
Again, the actual research isn't published (yet) or reviewed, so take it with a grain of salt, but the implication seems significant: increased dopamine decreases one's ability to separate valid signal from noise and makes one more likely to falsely identify noise as signal.

The dopamine connection is intriguing. One of dopamine's roles is to help you concentrate by making things seem more interesting and engrossing. Because if this, it's the main active chemical in reinforced\reward-based learning. A dopamine rush is also the main component of many addictions and illusion-based pastimes, including cocaine, meth, video-games, tv, and even junkfood consumption and compulsive shopping.

I'be curious to know a few things: 1) where exactly in the brain the dopamine levels are rising when this medication is administered, 2) were the baseline dopamine levels actually comparable in sceptics and believers -- something tells me they may not have been; and 3) whether it is the absolute level of dopamine or the jump in the levels that is responsible for the effect.

Either way, I think the results agree with what we have been talking about: repeated engaging in illusions and subjectivity can mess up our ability to see the truth.

Buddy said:

I find that little nugget fascinating in it's implications.

Weren't there also some studies reported recently whereby it was shown that those more prone to depression were also more objective?

Something is being missed here. What stuck out for me:

from blog post said:
First, without the medication the skeptics had a bias for Type II errors (they more often discarded as noise what really was a signal), whereas the believers had a bias for Type I errors (they more often saw a signal where it was really just noise).

The bias was equally strong for both, but in opposite directions.

In other words, the skeptics discarded true signals. They are partly BLIND.

The "believers" may have recognized signal where there was none, but that means they didn't miss as many signals.

Doesn't anyone see the implications of this?

Evolutionarily speaking, being able to pick up on signals more effectively is adaptive. Even if you assume some things to be signals at first which later turn out to be non-signals, that doesn't mean you won't be able to figure it out with reflection. What is important is being able to do this without thinking! It's EVOLUTION!

If you have instantly rejected things as noise that were, in fact, signals, no amount of rational reflection will cure that! Rational reflection then becomes nothing more than justifying being wrong. And, in the event your life depends on it, you will be out-bred by those who can instantly recognize signals.

Also, the fact that the skeptics got better at NOT rejecting things out of hand with the dopamine while the believers showed no change, indicates that the skeptics are the ones with a deficiency that can be corrected (at least momentarily) to a state where they have the possibility of accepting signals that turn out to be signals that they otherwise would have rejected.

:grad: Maybe I could learn from this: Seeing things through rose-colored glasses (being a believer or on dopamin) decreases the ability of seeing outer patterns of truth. Instead it increases the addiction to wishfull thinking, to negative dissociation and to identifying with patterns of choice. The last point seems to be the trickiest: Skeptics who are way too skeptic are identifying with this role, with the pattern of being skeptic. Those skeptics wish to falsify as much as the believers wish to verify. In both cases the addiction to Identify leads to wishfull thinking that again leads to false patterns (of choice). They should have made the believers depressive ;)

:-[ Oh sorry... I thought I would be the first one. But this is what I've learned from this post. ;)

Thanks for the comments everyone. I appreciate the networks eyes looking at this to point out all the missing stuff.

Hildegarda said:
One of dopamine's roles is to help you concentrate by making things seem more interesting and engrossing. Because if this, it's the main active chemical in reinforced\reward-based learning.

Yep. I lack any grounding in neurochemistry and neurobiology, yet I have been intrigued with all this since I went back to the Wave and studied Laura's presentation of the chemical/emotional/physical basis of the predator's mind.

I sense something that I can't quite put my finger on with regard to this issue though. I have to keep reminding myself that, while the data that comes from all the various other research I've done, is one thing, the interpretations of this data are often done from the perspective of mechanical and addicted people looking at what has been found to be normal for people in their mechanical and addicted state. Does that make sense?

When I look at what some people seem to accept as 'normal alertness', I'm reminded of how pigeons performed quality control work in some Japanese factories (especially in the 80's I believe), and how some dogs were put to work in Moscow. The Japanese discovered that pigeons were very good at spotting poorly moulded plastic components. I believe the components traveled on a conveyor belt below a little box where the pigeon is kept. The pigeon is trained to peck a switch when it spots a deformed component. Pigeons are quite happy to do this, all day, day in and day out, and so are some people.

So from what seems like the point of view of Big Pharma and the medical establishment being such big fans of mass drugging, any pigeon would thus be more "alert" than any human!

So I think it's very good advice for people to question everything! Don't just believe anyone. Find out for yourself, do research and don't be bullied by Doctors or other 'authority' figures we run across in our daily lives. I tend to think that we, as potential STO candidates, must always remember that what's right for a young person today who will have to cope with the coming times involving all the global change on all the levels, might not be the same as what's right or convenient for a bunch of introspective, short-sighted and arrogant bureaucrats whose easy lives, family connections and guaranteed incomes currently buffer them from experiencing the survival pressures that may lie just around the corner for those who don't feel any major concerns at the moment.

Ok, rant over. I'm probably just being driven into territory that could wind up dead ending.

Hildegarda said:
Either way, I think the results agree with what we have been talking about: repeated engaging in illusions and subjectivity can mess up our ability to see the truth.

Indeed. Wise words. Thanks.

I will leave it with an excerpt from a website and a reference to "Pigeon awareness" following it:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from Chapter 2 (”Meaningful Noises: Flaw Detec­tion and Control”), from the sec­tion on

“PIGEONS AS ASSEMBLY LINE INSPECTORS"

“Specially trained pigeons replace quality inspectors in automatic lines at bearing, watch, button and pharmaceutical factories and confectionaries, i.e., in all places where through visual check­ing of mass pro­duced articles is vital.

“. . . A. Bykov, assis­tant chief technologist at a machine-building factory in Moscow and an old pigeon lover, one day came across an article about pigeons. It is said that these birds have exceptionally good visual memory and can instantaneously discern the outline, shape and colour of different objects. This helps them to find their bearings on the ground. A Bykov thought that there might be another way of using these remarkable abilities . . .”

..."Machines of the 20th Century" was brought into the United States by Imported Publications, Inc., 320 West Ohio Street, Chicago, Illi­nois 60610. Judging from the fact that the phone just rang and rang and no one ever picked up, I will assume they are no longer in business.
_http://www.digitalemunction.com/2009/06/10/one-of-the-most-curious-books-i-have-ever-found/#more-2310

“Suddenly the dog is alerted. It rises from the mat, sniffs at the air and rushes, with a loud bark, to an operating lathe. In a couple of minutes a repair team arrives. The men look worried. ‘Yes, the guides have worn out’, they say and stop the lathe.
_http://www.digitalemunction.com/2009/06/10/one-of-the-most-curious-books-i-have-ever-found/#more-2310

_http://www.animalliberationfront.com/Philosophy/Morality/Speciesism/PigeonIntelligence.htm

Edit: Missed Laura's Post. I need to think about and understand the significance of it in this context.

Laura said:
Something is being missed here. What stuck out for me:

from blog post said:
First, without the medication the skeptics had a bias for Type II errors (they more often discarded as noise what really was a signal), whereas the believers had a bias for Type I errors (they more often saw a signal where it was really just noise).

The bias was equally strong for both, but in opposite directions.

In other words, the skeptics discarded true signals. They are partly BLIND.

The "believers" may have recognized signal where there was none, but that means they didn't miss as many signals.

Doesn't anyone see the implications of this?

Evolutionarily speaking, being able to pick up on signals more effectively is adaptive. Even if you assume some things to be signals at first which later turn out to be non-signals, that doesn't mean you won't be able to figure it out with reflection. What is important is being able to do this without thinking! It's EVOLUTION!

If you have instantly rejected things as noise that were, in fact, signals, no amount of rational reflection will cure that! Rational reflection then becomes nothing more than justifying being wrong. And, in the event your life depends on it, you will be out-bred by those who can instantly recognize signals.

Also, the fact that the skeptics got better at NOT rejecting things out of hand with the dopamine while the believers showed no change, indicates that the skeptics are the ones with a deficiency that can be corrected (at least momentarily) to a state where they have the possibility of accepting signals that turn out to be signals that they otherwise would have rejected.

Yes, I see it now. Awesome! Thanks for your input on this!

Laura said:

yet, while dopamine helped them to see more than they did, it also randomized their error, taking away some of their sharper discernment of fake signals, and the end result was that their performance was worse.

it would be interesting to model an influence in a lab that would allow the skeptics see more but still be critical, to make their results even better. And all we know is that it's likely not going to be plain dopamine-related.

same for believers, I wonder what it would take to correct their biases. Again, probably not dopamine.

Hildegarda said:
yet, while dopamine helped them to see more than they did, it also randomized their error, taking away some of their sharper discernment of fake signals, and the end result was that their performance was worse.

Yup. They lack something even more significant and no telling what it is.

Just imagine being in an environment where recognizing signal FAST is what ensures your survival and you discard a lot of real signals? What signal, on what day, are you going to discard and it costs you your life?

That's the whole thing here. Organization, recognizing signals, is adaptive for survival in about any environment. But, to make a machine work fast at that level of complexity, a certain overabundance is naturally part of the system. Better to be safe than sorry is the key here.

What does this say about paranormal beliefs? Nothing definitive though it MAY indicate that those who have experiences and beliefs are recognizing a real signal that the skeptics have discarded out of hand, AND, the believers have also had time to add reflection to it and confirm it rather than creating illusions, delusions or false beliefs.

So there is a whole other way to look at this.

Obviously, the article was written by a skeptic.

Laura said:
Just imagine being in an environment where recognizing signal FAST is what ensures your survival and you discard a lot of real signals? What signal, on what day, are you going to discard and it costs you your life?

This is in part, what they have guided me since 1980 to be able to do and why I needed to learn how to listen. They keep telling me I would need this in the future, even during recent conversations. I would need to recognize their transmissions and I need to practice continually, as there is always interferance and I would need to know what information to trust. Interferance will get worse.

WIN 52 said:
This is in part, what they have guided me since 1980 to be able to do and why I needed to learn how to listen. They keep telling me I would need this in the future, even during recent conversations. I would need to recognize their transmissions and I need to practice continually, as there is always interferance and I would need to know what information to trust. Interferance will get worse.

"They" who, WIN? This is a more or less scientific discussion and your contribution to it makes no sense nor is it welcome in this context.

WIN are you familiar with Laura's Wave Series? Specifically, there are a few sections I think you should read or reread, for example, "The Truth is Out There But Trust No One", which starts here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/wave10a.htm

I recommend taking a look and then posting again after reading with your thoughts.

:grad: Fascinating! Seeing all kinds of dangers including the fake ones, based on an open mind, is better than seeing specific dangers, based on a closed mind. Type I error VS Type II error. Small me, big world VS Big me, small world. Balanced Proportioning. Actually its quite simple, isn't it?

But maybe not. I am suspecting myself right now :/ Maybe I am justifying being paranoid.

:grad: Anyway. From now on i am trying to see things with the believers eyes and afterwards I try to reflect the collected data most critically, also by the use of my networking skills. Correct me if I am wrong.

Back
Top Bottom