Redirect: The surprising new science of psychological change

I have also done this exercise (in my own way) and I can say it really is very therapeutic. The best way is to simply be honest with itself and write down everything that we have lived eliminating shame and fear to the situation that caused the trauma or the trauma itself.

If one is aware of the mechanicity of human life, when he has to deal with an issue of the past can more easily see the mechanisms that led to trauma or whatever. I think that helps you be more objective about yourself.

osit

I use to write a journal about important events too, very much like this therapy, and it works very well. Also if kind of structure better your mind, I made some observations about my life and others, and after I found that I was right reading from others.

I just wanted to say that I'm really loving this book! There are so many important topics that Wilson covers, his mind seems very sharp - covering many angles, and his writing style is both humorous and easy to read. Wow! :thup:

Laura said:
Another very useful thing to do is to simply write an autobiography where you touch on just those things that were traumatic and had a powerful impact on you. Then you can see the "line of force" of your life and gain understanding of the meaning, what you have learned from these experiences (or can learn) and how they made you the way you are for better or worse. Then you can frame them so that they make you the way they are for the better.

I wrote up an autobiography back in April 2010 when I was going through a difficult time on trying to find the source of my anger. The year before, it was pointed out to me that I was angry and I need to "get over it." The "why" part is what was difficult to see and very uncertain. I've read a number of threads and books on trauma experiences and even journaling a great deal. It didn't help to break down that wall. An impression was dropped at one point that I would need to write up my own autobiography to find clues as well how my anger has been affecting me and those around me. It took me a month and up to 100 pages (I've been checking with my past journals, family histories, photo albums, old mails, emails, and other memorization documents to jog my memories). A strong impression of anger was scattered all over autobiography, and seeing how my life was shaped based on my own anger - retreating from others, refusal to accept, etc. It made me for a bit worse.

Then, I came across I Can't Get Over It by Aphrodite Matsakis and saw some clues there and been journaling about them. And, one day, closer to my birthday, I've been lashing out in anger for no reason and eventually made myself to "stop, sit, breathe, and feel whatever impressions coming from these feelings" (see here). That's how I found out about the source of my anger and afterwards, an enormous relief came through me. Since then, that anger never came back. Reading this thread and the Redirect book will help with my re-directing some of my experiences.

It is really no doubt that writing an autobiography is extremely useful and therapeutic.

Both Pennebaker and Wilson, I believe, suggest that one should not use the therapeutic writing every day. I would like to explain why I agree with this.

About a week ago I started what was to have been a four-day writing exercise. I found that at the end of the third day's session I had written everything I needed to, and that writing more would have been to fix in my mind things that I was trying to understand and change, and would have interrupted or even derailed the process of developing new understandings.

Over the course of the next couple of days insights about the particular topic continued to arise, and the new understanding – the new narrative - crystallized in my mind. I was then able to write a short conclusion with my new understandings, reframing the events concerned. Since then the new insights and understandings have 'settled' in me (and continue to settle).

I think this is why the two authors suggest not writing therapeutically every day. One needs to allow the new understandings – the new narrative - to settle. It needs to become a part of you before digging up more old stuff, so to speak.

[quote author=Endymion]
[...]
I think this is why the two authors suggest not writing therapeutically every day. One needs to allow the new understandings – the new narrative - to settle. It needs to become a part of you before digging up more old stuff, so to speak.
[/quote]

Picked up both books ordered (Strangers & Redirect) and have yet to delve into them, however, started writing therapeutic work on a particular issue and after two days stopped in mid stream. Kind of like you are suggesting, as the words were coming out, more and more remembrances and emotions were streaming in and thus I needed to separate so as to look at it - semi detached, as objectively as possible and have a look at the filtering I was doing consciously/unconsciously, if it can be deemed that.

Over the course of the next couple of days insights about the particular topic continued to arise, and the new understanding – the new narrative - crystallized in my mind. I was then able to write a short conclusion with my new understandings, reframing the events concerned. Since then the new insights and understandings have 'settled' in me (and continue to settle).

Just finished this one last night, and it was a refreshing read.

A possible exercise: to 'Redirect' our narratives towards assisting in projects for cass and sott? To find those personal narratives that make us think we can't contribute and change them?

I know in my head there's the negative stereotype narrative happening, anyone else notice similar?

Thoughts on this?

I haven't read 'Redirect' yet, but I've read much of this thread and 'Strangers to Ourselves', which mentions the writing exercise. So I gave it a try and so far I can say that it has helped greatly. It feels as if things settled on one particular issue. I think one mistake I have made all my life is that if something bothers me, I go over and over it in the hope that I will gain further insight or some hidden emotion will be set free and I can finally be 'cured' of that particular 'wound'. But reading this material made it clear that this is mere ruminating, and it is not the way to go. It is as absurd as unearthing corpses again and again to perform new authopsies hoping that those who are still alive can get over it! And what I find with the writing exercise is that one final, simple story is needed and that's that. No hidden secrets in the dirt to uncover, but making a meaningful and as accurate as possible tale of the event(s) is what matters. Lessons learned, move on.

With such a great discovery, I do intend to make use of this technique on every other issue! Thanks very much for sharing the info! :)

Laura said:
Jeremy F Kreuz said:
thanks for this very much. I will order the book and read it. In my line of work as humanitarian worker quiet some people I know have gone through traumatic experiences and the standard line is indeed that counseling as soon as possible after the event is the best way to avoid PTSD. In fact many organisations apply it to whole populations that have gone through shocking events, war, natural disasters. So this brings a whole new lights to this approach.

Yup. If that is the kind of work you are involved in, you definitely need to read this book. He backs up what he says with some serious studies.

Thanks for this threat. It is fascinating. I will order me too this book this week. I need to work a trauma I have since my 11 years old: when we emigrated to Canada. I know that this experience was and still is a big trauma I am unable to understand fully. And this trauma that I put aside for fear to look at it is the reason I am in Spain and unhappy to be here. So the return to come back to where my parents take me off is the reason I have to understand fully what happened the day I took an airplane to Canada.

Thanks thanks!

Windmill knight said:
what I find with the writing exercise is that one final, simple story is needed and that's that. No hidden secrets in the dirt to uncover, but making a meaningful and as accurate as possible tale of the event(s) is what matters. Lessons learned, move on.

Thanks for that. Makes it sound like one of the original purposes for the basic psychology material - recapitulation to find the lessons we missed the first time around. The ones that keep us looping certain incidents in memory or repeating the same mistakes? So, basically the writing exercise helps "close the circle" so that Lesson == Done, so to speak?

Windmill knight said:
So I gave it a try and so far I can say that it has helped greatly. It feels as if things settled on one particular issue. I think one mistake I have made all my life is that if something bothers me, I go over and over it in the hope that I will gain further insight or some hidden emotion will be set free and I can finally be 'cured' of that particular 'wound'. But reading this material made it clear that this is mere ruminating, and it is not the way to go. It is as absurd as unearthing corpses again and again to perform new authopsies hoping that those who are still alive can get over it! And what I find with the writing exercise is that one final, simple story is needed and that's that. No hidden secrets in the dirt to uncover, but making a meaningful and as accurate as possible tale of the event(s) is what matters. Lessons learned, move on.

With such a great discovery, I do intend to make use of this technique on every other issue! Thanks very much for sharing the info! :)
Amen to that! I too can get caught up in over thinking something under the illusion that I'm working it out when all that's really happening is that I'm just reliving it over and over again and ending up stuck. Doing the writing exercises, for me, has stopped some of those loops in their tracks. There's finally an end to the madness.

Buddy said:
Thanks for that. Makes it sound like one of the original purposes for the basic psychology material - recapitulation to find the lessons we missed the first time around. The ones that keep us looping certain incidents in memory or repeating the same mistakes? So, basically the writing exercise helps "close the circle" so that Lesson == Done, so to speak?
Just speaking for myself here. I wouldn't say it's all "happily ever after" but it at least seems to arrest thought patterns so that one becomes more aware of them when they show up in other circumstances. It allows a small space of signal to come in amidst the noise if that makes sense. In that small space, one is able to think objectively enough so that there is at least a small chance of Doing - changing what was once a mechanical reaction to one of purpose - an aim.

It sounds as if you haven't tried it yet and may still be looking for proof. Is that the case? If so, why not try it and see for yourself? :) If you have tried it yet and are just questioning, apologies.

truth seeker said:
Just speaking for myself here. I wouldn't say it's all "happily ever after" but it at least seems to arrest thought patterns so that one becomes more aware of them when they show up in other circumstances.

Ah, I see, I may have given the wrong impression. I meant closing the circle more like on a "per incident" basis. Thanks for the reference to the "pattern interrupt" concept. I have been finding that idea very useful ever since Stevie Argyll mentioned it on one of my earlier threads. Never got around to thanking him, though.

truth seeker said:
It sounds as if you haven't tried it yet and may still be looking for proof. Is that the case?

I believe the anecdotal evidence that's been offered by others, it's just that I don't like to write generally, because it forces a linear mode of thought that sometimes drops off in mid-sentence when I'm not concentrated enough for whatever reason. When I do therapeutic writing, I do try to use the technique according to my understanding. :)

Buddy said:
truth seeker said:
It sounds as if you haven't tried it yet and may still be looking for proof. Is that the case?

I believe the anecdotal evidence that's been offered by others, it's just that I don't like to write generally, because it forces a linear mode of thought that sometimes drops off in mid-sentence when I'm not concentrated enough for whatever reason. When I do therapeutic writing, I do try to use the technique according to my understanding. :)
I didn't mean to suggest that you should "believe" what been said by others but was basically wondering if you had tried it to see firsthand what, if any benefits you experienced. That was it. :)

Buddy said:

Not liking to write is probably a System 1 response reinforced by the false personality. I have learned how absolutely crucial it is to actually write - not type, write with the hand on paper - in order to change certain brain circuits. It's similar to memorization in its power to re-wire the brain and there is cognitive science backing for the efficacy of holding certain things in short term memory for a certain period (while writing) in order to transfer it to long-term memory.

Plus... there's the simple discipline of doing what "it" doesn't like or want to do... And with discipline, the predator flees.

Back
Top Bottom