Recommended Books: Discussion

RecklessAllegory said:
Does anyone know if there is any difference between the old versions of The Wave Series and the new.Speaking of "new", I'm new to this forum. Nice to meet everyone :-)

Depends which version you're talking about specifically. The first published versions of Wave 1-4 have a lot of material that wasn't in the original online publication. The new editions of 1-4 were freshly copy-edited, and have a few minor additions (if I remember correctly!). Wave 5-7 is an edited version of the original "Adventures with Cassiopaea" series which was published online. And Wave 8 is the last chapters of the original online Wave series.

The biggest major difference is that the first published Wave edition of volume 1 had about half the material from High Strangeness included as an introduction. That was taken out of the later edition (but it is present in the kindle and will be present again in any future printed edition). In the meantime, you can read all that material by just reading High Strangeness.

So if you have ANY published version of the book, the content should be pretty much the same with the latest editions. But if you want the latest version (better formatting, more consistent editing, maybe the odd addition here and there), the new books are the way to go! (Just read High Strangeness first!)

Thank you so much, this really helps to clear things up since I have recently acquired a few of the old versions. I am trying to get all the books in the collection! This is one thing I'm glad I listened to my mother about...she told me about things that were repeated over and over to her in her sleep until she woke up and wrote it down; next day she asked me to Google it and the C's website came across after googling "Cassiopeans, 6th density". I was stunned and have been reading the material for almost a year now...and I thought my mom was crazy lol!

For David Paulide's followers- personally, this one had far more details in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Water-Forever-Awake-Unexplained/dp/1530467314/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=

AndrewHunt said:
For David Paulide's followers- personally, this one had far more details in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Water-Forever-Awake-Unexplained/dp/1530467314/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=

Hello AndrewHunt,

Since this is your first post, I recommend you post an intro in our Newbies forum. Please tell us what drew you to our forum, etc.

As for your recommendation, can you tell us what makes the above book better than Paulides?

I don't know if this link has still be given, it could be interesting because some books (Gurdjieff, Mouravief, etc) are available free online, in 3 lagages for some (english, french, spanish).

[Mod note: Link removed. Books that have not reached the public domain should be purchased. We do not support pirating of someone's copyrighted material]

I'm not as well read as I'd like but Erich Fromm has done some amazing work on psychology. '
'The Fear of Freedom'.
'The Sane Society'
I read a couple of his books when I was very young and they changed my life.
To me his central theme is the pathology of society.
I had always felt there was something wrong with the fragmented/subjective/reductionist view that a lot of modern psychology gravitates toward. (If that makes sense).
Obviously now I know there is, but these books are true and moving. I haven't read all of them there are lots. :)

Philosophy: The Great Thinkers of the Eastern World. It has ideologies from various philosophers in China, Korea and India. It's quite an amzing book and very easy to get through the various sections.

aimeusdietger said:
Philosophy: The Great Thinkers of the Eastern World. It has ideologies from various philosophers in China, Korea and India. It's quite an amzing book and very easy to get through the various sections.

Could you summarize shortly what this book is all about and what "philosophers" are mentioned and in what context?

And by the way, welcome to the forum aimeusdietger.

Since this is your first post on the forum, we would appreciate it if you could post a brief intro about yourself in the Newbies section, telling us how you found this forum, how long you've been reading it and/or the SOTT page, whether or not you've read any of Laura's books yet, etc.

Leila said:
I'm not as well read as I'd like but Erich Fromm has done some amazing work on psychology. '
'The Fear of Freedom'.
'The Sane Society'
I had always felt there was something wrong with the fragmented/subjective/reductionist view that a lot of modern psychology gravitates toward. (If that makes sense).
Obviously now I know there is, but these books are true and moving. I haven't read all of them there are lots. :)

I also recommend Erich Fromm. Haven't yet read the books you mentioned, but last summer I read a little book by him called "The Art of Loving". Some of his views are a little dated (so it helps to contextualize the book within the 1950's) but there's a lot of observations and advice I found quite insightful.

PhoenixToEmber said:
Leila said:
'The Fear of Freedom'.
'The Sane Society'

I also recommend Erich Fromm. Haven't yet read the books you mentioned, but last summer I read a little book by him called "The Art of Loving". Some of his views are a little dated (so it helps to contextualize the book within the 1950's) but there's a lot of observations and advice I found quite insightful.

I also haven't read the books you mentioned. I read "The Forgotten Language, an introduction to the Understanding of Dreams, Fairy Tales, and Myths", which was a really interesting and useful read, osit, and I would totally recommend it. If I remember correctly, he discusses a good bit of the historical change away from the Mother Goddess, and the relation so pathology is society. I will look up those titles mentioned and see if I can get myself a cheap copy. Thank you for sharing :)

I am in the process of catching up and tried to come up with a list of the newest recommended books. Am I missing anything?
[list type=decimal]
[*]The Idea of History
[*]Speculum Mentis
[*]In Defense of History
[*]Tamdgidi - Gurdjieff and Hypnosis
[*]Samenow - Inside the Criminal Mind
[*]Raine - The Anatomy of Violence
[*]Fallon - The Psychopath Inside
[*]Healing Developmental Trauma
[*]Haidt- The Righteous Mind
[*]Information and the Nature of Reality
[/list]

Eulenspiegel said:
I am in the process of catching up and tried to come up with a list of the newest recommended books. Am I missing anything?
[list type=decimal]
[*]The Idea of History
[*]Speculum Mentis
[*]In Defense of History
[/list]

Hi Eulenspiegel, there are two Samenow's books on the recommended readings list. Inside the Criminal Mind and the Myth of Out of Character Crime. The latter goes into a lot of detail and it is certainly worth to read both of them to get a fuller picture of the "criminal mind".

Also, I think the recommended order changed to Raine, followed by Samenow and then the other books. It may be a good idea to jump to Healing the Developmental Trauma after those Raine and Samenow.

Ant22 said:
Eulenspiegel said:
[list type=decimal]
[*]The Idea of History
[*]Speculum Mentis
[*]In Defense of History
[/list]

Hi Eulenspiegel, there are two Samenow's books on the recommended readings list. Inside the Criminal Mind and the Myth of Out of Character Crime. The latter goes into a lot of detail and it is certainly worth to read both of them to get a fuller picture of the "criminal mind".

Also, I think the recommended order changed to Raine, followed by Samenow and then the other books. It may be a good idea to jump to Healing the Developmental Trauma after those Raine and Samenow.

Thank you very much! Has the recommended reading list been updated somewhere? I checked the thread and then the wiki, and it seems it hasn't been updated in a while; which is the reason I made this list.

Back
Top Bottom