Quotes on Knowledge and Ignorance

Zadius Sky

The Living Force
I feel that I would include a topic in this "Books" section where everyone can include quotes from any books one read as regards to "Knowledge" and "Ignorance." Feel free to add more quotes on these two concepts.

The following below I have included some quotes.
(with great shame, most of them that I have received from Quotationary by L. R. Frank).

Knowledge

"Reading is at the center of our lives. The library is our brain. Without the library, you have no civilization."
- Ray Bradbury, interview, in Fahrenheit 451.

"Some men covet knowledge out of a natural curiosity and inquisitive temper; some to entertain the mind with variety and delight; some for ornament and reputation; some for victory and contention; many for lucre and a livelihood; and but few for employing the Divine gift of reason to the use and benefit of mankind."
- Francis Bacon, Advancement of Learning, 1, 1605, Willey Book edition, 1944.

"Depend on it there comes a time when for every addition of knowledge you forget something that you knew before. It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study in Scarlet, 2, 1888.

"You have first an instinct, then an opinion, then a knowledge, as the plant has root, bud, and fruit."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson, Journal, 1857.

"Action is the proper fruit of Knowledge."
- Thomas Fuller, Comp., Gnomologia: Adages and Proverbs, 760, 1732.

"It is not a question how much a man knows, but what use he can make of what he knows."
- Josiah Gilbert Holland, "Self-Help" in Plain Talks on Familiar Subjects, 1866.

"In spiritual matters, knowledge is dependent upon being; as we are, so we know."
- Aldous Huxley, "Words and Reality" In C. Isherwood, ed., Vedanta for the Western World, 1945.

"As knowledge increases, wonder deepens."
- Charles Morgan, English writer.

"Knowledge is the food of the soul."
- Plato, Protagoras.

"Acquire knowledge. It enables its possessor to distinguish right from wrong; it lights the way to Heaven; it is our friend in the desert, our society in solitude, our companion when friendless; it guides us to happiness; it sustains us in misery; it is an ornament among friends and an armor against enemies."
- Muhammad, The Sayings of Muhammad, 290, 1940.

"Know the enemy and know yourself and in a hundred battles you will never be in danger."
- Sun Tzu, Art of War.

"If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us."
- Adlai E. Stevenson, Speech, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 8 October 1952.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge."
- Benjamin Disraeli, Sybil: Or, The Two Nations, 1845.

"The greatest obstacle to discovering the shape of the earth, the continents and the ocean was not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge."
- Daniel J. Boorstin, The Discoverers

"Knowledge rests not upon truth alone, but upon error also."
- Carl G. Jung

"Idleness with knowledge is better than ignorance with good works."
- Ibn al-‘Arabi, in The Sufi Path of Knowledge, W. Chittick.

"And so, let me repeat: who wants to believe - let them believe. But I do not want to believe, I want to know."
- An old philosopher in "The lost future" by K. Borun and A. Trepka, SF novel - in Polish (Thanks Ark!)

"Knowledge protects, ignorance endangers."
- The Cassiopaeans

Ignorance

"The ignorant man is dead while still alive."
- Ali, "Maxims of ‘Ali," in A Treasury of Traditional Wisdom.

"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument."
- William G. McAdoo

"History shows that there is nothing so easy to enslave and nothing so hard to emancipate as ignorance, hence it becomes the double enemy of civilization. By its servility it is the prey of tyranny, and by its credulity it is the foe of enlightenment."
- Lemuel K. Washburn, Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other Essays.

"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn."
- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard’s Almanack, Oct. 1755.

"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action."
- Goethe, The Maxims and Reflections of Goethe, 231, 1892.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
- Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love, 1963.

"There is no slavery but ignorance."
- Robert G. Ingersoll, "Fragments," The Philosophy of Ingersoll, 1906.

"Ignorance is not a simple lack of knowledge but an active aversion to knowledge, the refusal to know, issuing from cowardice, pride, or laziness of mind."
- Karl Popper, 1995.

"Herein is the evil of ignorance, that he who is neither good nor wise is nevertheless satisfied with himself: he had no desire for that of which he feels no want.
- Plato, Symposium, 204.

"We are at full stop. We think we have arrived."
- Henry Fairlie, "Too Rich for Heroes," Harper’s, 1978.

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?"
- Author Unknown

(Zadius Sky's humble note: I have searched this forum regarding this topic, none was discovered. Please let me know if it was done so already.)

Here are couple more (from the web).

Knowledge

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak."
- Michael Garrett Marino

"In your thirst for knowledge, be sure not to drown in all the information."
- Anthony J. D'Angelo

"To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time is to meet an old one."
- Anonymous, Chinese saying

"It often requires more courage to read some books than it does to fight a battle."
- Sutton Elbert Griggs

"A good library is a place, a palace where the lofty spirits of all nations and generations meet."
- Samuel Niger

"Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"
- T.S. Eliot, Choruses from The Rock

"You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing - that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something."
- Richard Feynman

"It is no good to try to stop knowledge from going forward. Ignorance is never better than knowledge."
- Enrico Fermi (1901 - 1954)

Ignorance

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them."
-- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

"There is no such thing as a moral book or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. That is all."
- Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

"Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil."
- Plato

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."
- George Bernard Shaw

"We allow our ignorance to prevail upon us and make us think we can survive alone, alone in patches, alone in groups, alone in races, even alone in genders."
- Maya Angelou

"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star."
- Confucius

"Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed."
- Don Wood

"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
- Galileo Galilei (1564 - 1642)

Back
Top Bottom