Quinoa Shortbread Cookies

Mark

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Here's the shortbread cookie recipe that we had during the SuperMoon fest. As it is below, the cookies come out a bit too sweet in my opinion. So you might want to trim the xylitol down a bit. If you've ever eat the Pecan Sandies in the USA then know that these are far sweeter:

2 cups (260 grams) quinoa flour

1/4 teaspoon (2 grams) salt

1 cup (2 sticks) (226 grams) of unsalted butter, ghee, or coconut oil - or go with half coconut oil and half butter/ghee

1/2 cup (60 grams) powdered xylitol - powderize it in a coffee bean grinder

1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract

Mix all the stuff together then roll it into a log shape in some plastic wrap or wax paper. Toss it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or longer to get it very cool and semi-solid.

Then slice it into quarter inch (0.6 cm) pieces using a warm knife blade (run it under some hot water), place the slices on a baking sheet, and bake for about 15 minutes (or thereabouts) at 350 F (176 C).

ADDED: When slicing the dough you should probably put your hand on the end of the roll to support the sliced portion because even when it's cold the dough can be brittle. Also, it's best to mix together the butter/ghee/oil with the xylitol and vanilla first using an electric mixer, then add the flour by hand mixing with a spoon.

When they come out of the oven and cool they'll still be sort of soft. But after they sit for a long while they become much firmer. Not sure how long that would be, but I do that overnight they firm right up.

That's it. Next I make these I'm going to only use about 1/3 or 1/4 cup of xylitol and see how that turns out.

Whoa this sounds good, especially the part about rolling it into a log to get the shape. Thanks for sharing. I just need some quinoa flour.

Very delicious! :)

Can quinoa flour be bought, or is it "produced": put in a mixer until it is flour like?

I make the flour by putting quinoa into an electric coffee bean grinder - usually about half a cup at a time.

Some more notes were added to the recipe above, so check those.

m said:
I make the flour by putting quinoa into an electric coffee bean grinder - usually about half a cup at a time.

Some more notes were added to the recipe above, so check those.

Thanks for that m!

m said:
That's it. Next I make these I'm going to only use about 1/3 or 1/4 cup of xylitol and see how that turns out.

From my experiments with buckwheat shortbread cookies you can cut out the xylitol completely, tastewise, the jury's out for me on that. :)

Back
Top Bottom